Car insurance 14 day period, with a twist

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5209 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I took out a car insurance policy with M&S 10:07 on the 16th Jan, with a breakdown recovery element. Unfortunately, the car I bought broken down an hour later and decided to hand it back to the owner. I phoned the RAC and thus used the breakdown element of the policy.

I phoned up M&S that afternoon to cancel and I explained everything that happened and they said no problem, we'll refund everything. I thought, wow, great. Then I received the cancellation confirmation letter, which stated that as I cancelled it on the day I took it out, "there had been no cover." Funny, because the letter states the cancellation date as 24:00 16th January, which, by ISO time/date representation standards, is the END of the day of the 16th.

I feel they are going to charge me full whack for the recovery. I am fully willing to pay a days worth of insurance plus an admin fee, as that is what I felt I was covered for. I do not accept their statement that I infact had *no* cover - that can't change after the fact. They were happy to say I was insured so I could drive the car away..

Now, do I contest the fact that I was covered? Am I right? Using the Certificate of Motor Insurance policy start date and cancellation letter policy end date, it clearly show I had a day's worth of cover.

I feel if I ignore the confirmation letter, and they consequently decide to charge me for recovery, I will have silently accepted the statement that I was not covered.

Any advice please?

Thanks!

Yes you had one days worth of insurance cover, you might well find that you get a charge for that, then again they might waive it.

The recovery is different, I would suspect that recovery is provided IF you take the policy, which you didn't, you declined the policy within the 14 days.

Even more than that you have actually used the recovery service, so I would think that they are within their rights to charge you the full recovery price.

Mossy