• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

First direct V Concerned

bev1956
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6473 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have just found this website and think it is amazing.

I am just a bit concerned if I start the ball rolling it will effect my credit rating.

Has anyone got any views on this

June 26th 2006 Data Protection Act letter sent to FD

June 29th 2006 reply from FD.Statements are on there way.Returned chq

July 7th 2006 requested refund of £3500 from FD

Hi Bev,

I don't think it will - you are simply reclaiming money taken from you unlawfully. They might close your account so set up a parachute. Closing accounts does not affect credit rating (I read here but do check).

Good luck and keep us posted.

Nemo me impune lacessit!

The hours of folly are measured by the clock; but of wisdom, no clock can measure.

As long as one person lives in darkness, then it seems to be a responsibility to tell other people.

Hi

thanks for the quick response.

It is such a big step to take but on the other hand I could be entitled to several hunded pounds and it is better in my pocket than in FD .

Will keep you posted.

Hi

It is such a big step to take but on the other hand I could be entitled to several hunded pounds and it is better in my pocket than in FD .

Absolutely.

Read Monkey's thread which is very well documented about what to expect and your response to it. There are others in the FD forum similarly documented. It is worrying when you receive bully-boy letters from banks or their solicitors but reading how others have responded and what then happened helps loads.

You'll be just fine.

Nemo me impune lacessit!

The hours of folly are measured by the clock; but of wisdom, no clock can measure.

As long as one person lives in darkness, then it seems to be a responsibility to tell other people.

Hi

a new day.

I have just printed off thefirst letter that needs to be sent to FD.It seems so heavy handed but I think I will give it a go.I just don't want to get into something that I will regret

Do I send the letter by recorded delivery.

I think I just need a bit of encouragement

Hi

a new day.

I have just printed off thefirst letter that needs to be sent to FD.It seems so heavy handed but I think I will give it a go.I just don't want to get into something that I will regret

Do I send the letter by recorded delivery.

I think I just need a bit of encouragement

You do not need to send the letter recorded although I did - it is deemed delivered 2 days after posting. So it's up to you. Costs a quid for recorded.

For encouragement read my thread, Monkey's thread, all FD threads.

You think your letter's heavy handed??

They've had their hand in your cash - That's heavy handed. :)

Go get 'em. :-D

Nemo me impune lacessit!

I would now recommend that letters are sent as a minimum by Recorded Delivery. I'll be using Special Delivery when eventually get around to claiming back my unlawful bank charges from Halifax.

If you found this post useful, please click on the "scales" icon in the bottom left of my post and say so!

The opinions of this post are those of monkey_uk and do not constitute sound legal advice. I am not a lawyer.

--

Halifax Unlawful Bank Charges: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent 28/02/07 - CC Statement's rcv'd 18/04/07 Bank a/c statements rcv'd 19/04/07

First Direct Unlawful Bank Charges: Settled in Full 12/05/06 | £2235.50

Hi

Thanks for everyone comments.

I have checked my statements going back 2 yrs on line.I reckon I am owed nearly £1000 for the 2 yr period.

I really must put the letter in the post but I am so nervous about the repercussions.

Hi

Thanks for everyone comments.

I have checked my statements going back 2 yrs on line.I reckon I am owed nearly £1000 for the 2 yr period.

I really must put the letter in the post but I am so nervous about the repercussions.

How long have you had the account? As you've read the FAQs(!) you will be aware that you can claim back as far as 6 years....

Also, as for repercussions, I believe the FAQs also mention setting up a parachute account, in case they do close your existing account.

Believe it, the risks are real. You are taking on probably the biggest financial organisation in the WORLD, who have virtually unlimited funds to pump into a legal defence. But, with plenty of reading and research, you can pull this off. Do not underestimate the task at hand.

If you found this post useful, please click on the "scales" icon in the bottom left of my post and say so!

The opinions of this post are those of monkey_uk and do not constitute sound legal advice. I am not a lawyer.

--

Halifax Unlawful Bank Charges: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent 28/02/07 - CC Statement's rcv'd 18/04/07 Bank a/c statements rcv'd 19/04/07

Hi

thanks for the reponse.I will be sending the letter at the weekend.

Once I get the response from them I will probably be asking for a lot of help from the other members of the forum.

Once I have sent this letter ,I will then take a look at my credit cards etc.

Hi already to send the first letter.

Who do I address it to at FD

Is it ok to send the template as it is - of course adding my account details etc.

Bev, read the FAQs, read my thread, and also the rest of the forum.

After you ave done the above you will know what you need to do.

--

Hi

just a quick note to let you know I have sent the letter asking for my bank statements for the last 6 yrs.

I am already adding up the pounds that I will be hopefully given back.You never know it might be enough to clear one of my loans.

I had an interesting letter from baclaycard this morning saying they are reducing their late payment charges etc to £12. Maybe they are starting to realise they are in the wrong.

So far so good Bev, keep us posted!

--

Hi

just thought I would give you an update.

Received a letter from First Direct this morning saying they would be sendding all the statements via courier within the next few days.They have returned my cheque as there is no cost for asking for the back statements.

I can't wait to add up how much they owe me.

Will keep you updated

I had that letter 2 weeks ago still not arrived so don't hold your breath :mad: but you might have pleasant surprise :D

Egg Data Protection Act Statements arrived. On hold.

Halifax - Moneyclaim £3100

Amex to Remove Default - acknowledged didn't issue correct documents - default removed :) . £135 paid in full without Court

I'm on a roll now :rolleyes:

can I just say, you dont need to send anything by post, you can send it electronically by logging into your account. Secondly, they dont require the £10 for your statements, everyone I've seen post about it say they have had their cheque returned. First Direct paid in full this week on my first letter. Good luck.

can I just say, you dont need to send anything by post, you can send it electronically by logging into your account. Secondly, they dont require the £10 for your statements, everyone I've seen post about it say they have had their cheque returned. First Direct paid in full this week on my first letter. Good luck.

Thanks for your post fieldsy, however, I feel that I need to point out a fw things:

You are quite correct that FD [generally] waive the £10.00 fee, however, it is still STRONGLY advised that you offer the payment.

You CAN send them messages electronically, however, their "messaging system" via the online banking is (in my opinion) very poor and as such, no record of sent messages is kept. There would be nothing stopping them from taking 90 days to fulfil a DPA request, as you wouldn't have any proof of when they received the request. However, if you sent the request in writing, by Recorded or Special Delivery, then you'd have the proof of when they received the request.

Finally, congratulations on your win, could you please fill in the survey, which can be found here -> http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/survey.php

--

Hi

just to let you know I have received my statements today.I have added up FD owe me £3238 over 2 accounts going back 6 years.

I have just copied and pasted the letter from the library asking for a refund of my charges.Does anyone know who I address the letter to at FD plus when I attach the list of charges do I show the interest that I am owed if I have to go to the small claims court.

I hope to send the letter tomorrow recorded delivery

Hi

Just to let you know the letter is went recorded delivery this morning.I am hoping the claim will be plain sailing.You never know they might decide to give me the refund at the first attempt.

I am now thinking about about the excess charges I have received on my credit cards.Can the card companies demand the outstanding balances if I decide to reclaim the excessive charges.

thanks for your all help and support.

Hi

just to let you know the clain went recorded delivery on Friday.Will keep you updated on the progress.Hopefully it will be painless and quick.

Hi

I am wondering if I am doing anything wrong with my thread as I don't appear to get any replies to the questions I am asking .

Hi

I am wondering if I am doing anything wrong with my thread as I don't appear to get any replies to the questions I am asking .

What is your question?

Hi

just to let you know the clain went recorded delivery on Friday.Will keep you updated on the progress.Hopefully it will be painless and quick.

That doesn't seem like a question to me.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi

I asked a question aquestion a couple of days ago.

Basically I am now thinking about taking on the credit companies and I was just wondering if they will close the account and ask for the outstanding balance to be cleared.

July 11th 2006 data protection letter sent fo MBNA

July 11th 2006 data protection letter sent to Barclaycard

July 12th 2006 reply from FD saying they disagree with my claim

July21st 2006 LBA sent to Mr Kernigan

Aug3rd 2006 Money claim filed

Suggest you may find more info on that in the "Other Institutions" section of this forum- or you could ask this question there as this section is probably only read by people taking on HSBC/First Direct

:) Susie-que :)