• Tweets

• Weaknesses in some banks' security measures for online and mobile banking could leave customers more exposed to scammers, new data from Which? reveals.View the full article
    • I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
    • quite honestly id email shiply CEO with that crime ref number and state you will be taking this to court, for the full sum of your losses, if it is not resolved ASAP. should that be necessary then i WILL be naming Shiply as the defendant. this can be avoided should the information upon whom the courier was and their current new company contact details, as the present is simply LONDON VIRTUAL OFFICES  is a company registered there and there's a bunch of other invisible companies so clearly just a mail address   
    • If it doesn’t sell easily : what they can get at an auction becomes fair market price, which may not realise what you are hoping.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Orge vs BC **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3269 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

orge- out of interest, what did your CCA consist of?

Was it simply the application form you completed at the time you asked for a Barclaycard?

Yes, it's the application form. Looking through, it seems that the prescribed terms are missing:

Interest rate

Credit Limit

Repayments

There's a black box (presumably hasn't copied) which mentions "this is a credit agreement regulated by....". It's possible that they would be under that? Or maybe this is a copy of one of the duplicates? Isn't it 40 days on the CCA? I sent the request to them 15/8/07.

You may have been rather generous only claiming CI at 14.9%.

What does your CCA say the interest rate was going to be?

Good Call! The terms and conditions state 21.6% (purchases) and 23.5% (cash).

I'l submit the interest charges as advised - I didn't realise that you get to add 8% on top of CI at county court. At this rate Barclaycard may be paying for me to go snowboarding next year! Prcieless! :)

Thanks v much for your help, it's great to have someone who know's the score.

J

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get your SAR enforcement claim in as soon as you can after their 40 days is up.

As you know, without all prescribed terms, they may as well use your application form as a paper dart.

The prescribed terms are in the T&Cs, which is a separate document from that which you signed.

You will be able to have all penalty charges and interest levied thereon removed, and the balance paid back to you by cheque without too much trouble.

Have you written to Mercers yet to let them know you dispute the amount due to unlawfully applied penalties and interest?

If not, do it soon and send your letter by Special Delivery. Cost a bit more, but you can add the cost to your claim.

The prescribed terms are in the T&Cs, which is a separate document from that which you signed.

They have sent me the T&C's, but as you say it's seperate and unsigned... There was also an internal document, but again this does not say it's a credit agreement and is not signed by myself. It doesn't seem to be Barclaycard's day...

Does the black box have anything to do with it? I was wondering whether the copying process may have masked the prescribed terms or something...? If so, it's possible that they may have a true copy?

I understand that they have now committed an offence, as it's over 42 days since my request. However, does this have any material bearing on my claim? In some cases, I've seen people trying to claim back everything that they've ever paid in... :o This does seem a little bit "dodgy".

Just about to print and post a letter to Mercer's.

Thanks again,

J

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still receiving harassing phone calls from Mercers. :(

Have informed them that I will be writing to the financial ombudsman to report their behaviour (I have an idea what to write, but has anybody seen any good examples?). However, they're still threatening to sell the debt (date set at 13/11). I'm not particularly concerned, as they don't have a valid CCA and selling a debt under dispute is a breach of the Credit regulations. However, should I be doing anything else to intervene?

Part of the problem seems to be poor letter handling.*Barclaycard have acknowledged receipt of my letter (recv'd 22/10, acknowledged on the 25th). They've said they intend to respond by 20/11!!?? If that's the best they can do, I will already have served them with my POC! :)

On the other hand,*my letter to Mercer's was only recv'd on 29/10, so it seems to have been delayed...? However, I was told they're using the same system, so it's pretty poor that my account is not yet showing as under dispute. Legally, I guess this is all moot - they're lack of organisation is hardly my problem.

Thanks,

J

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Cheers for the pointer. I've modded it a little and added mention a mention of the OFT guidelines and FOS.

Will send it to Mercer's and cc Barclaycard tomorrow.

Thanks!

J

LBA was sent off yesterday and I'm currently putting together my POC. However,I have a couple of questions regarding the schedule and interest:

1. What should I use for the claim date (I will submit the POC around the 22/11)?

2. Also, they are continuing to rack up charges/interest despite the fact that the account is under dispute (they've acknowledged this)... How do I deal with this in the schedule? Do I just go with the lastest information I have prior to submitting the claim?

3. The wording on the POC suggests that the daily rate simply refers to the 8% statutory. However, they are still charging me interest on the account. Is it possible to include this at a daily rate?

4. If they're continuing to apply charges and hassling me on the phone demanding payment, I must have a good case for reporting them to the FOS?

Thanks in advance for the advice! :)

J

1. What should I use for the claim date (I will submit the POC around the 22/11)?

Update your SOC to include all chgs to date, use that date and file N1.

2. Also, they are continuing to rack up charges/interest despite the fact that the account is under dispute (they've acknowledged this)... How do I deal with this in the schedule? Do I just go with the lastest information I have prior to submitting the claim?

When you submit your Form N1, include all charges (as said above) on SOC. Any subsequent charges may be settled by agreement if BC want to settle, or you'll have to issue court proceedings again.

3. The wording on the POC suggests that the daily rate simply refers to the 8% statutory. However, they are still charging me interest on the account. Is it possible to include this at a daily rate?

Para 19(3) covers this. The daily rate is your Total Fees Amount x 0.0002% = xx pence per day

4. If they're continuing to apply charges and hassling me on the phone demanding payment, I must have a good case for reporting them to the FOS?

I'll come back with link to info which you can use to warn them off while debt is in dispute.

Slick

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Orge,

Further to my last post, item 4:-

Read here - http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/bus...dit/oft664.pdf - and consider using one or more of these sections:-

2.6(a) re frequent contact

2.6.(h) ignoring your contention that debt is in dispute

2.8(i) failing to investigate/provide details (re missing info they still owe you)

2.8(k) not ceasing collection while investigating queried or disputed amount.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it appears that the last few letters/phone calls have finally stopped there incessant ringing. However, now the cheeky bastards have served me with a default notice. They're threatening to:

Pass my details onto a debt collection agency who will issue a formal demand and, possibly, legal action - with their useless CCA, I would like to see them try!!

Register details of my account with a credit reference agency.

They give me until 1/12 to make a payment. Clearly, I'm not going to be making a payment but how should I respond to this? The deadline for response to my LBA is the 22nd, so I will get my POC into the court on that day. Will that be quick enough to nip this in the bud?

Many thanks,

J

Hi Orge,

If this threatening letter is from BC, you could take that as their decision NOT to refund and File at Court with Form N1, SOC, POC etc. immediately.

If it's from Mercers, wait for LBA time limit.

Whoever this letter is from, write back pointing out they are in clear breach of OFT Debt Collection Guidelines, Sections 2.6(h) and 2.8(k) and you are therefore lodging an official complaint to your local Trading Standards Office and the OFT.

Then send letters of complaint to both bodies.

Slick

Thanks again, Slick.

It's from Mercer's, so I'll follow your advice and file a complaint. I've found the appropriate OFT form and contact details for my nearest trading standards office.

Let's bring it on! :)

J

I'm gonna get going on my letters of complaint today. I was wondering if I should including the unenforceable CCA in my information to the OFT+TS? I'm trying to decide when I should play this card for maximum effect.

Are they digging themselves a deeper hole by continuing to pursue me with legally threatening letters etc? They must be aware that agreements prior to year xxxx are invalid but they're trying to pass them off as nforceable? This sounds pretty dodgy...

If I play it now, I figure there's evidence for OFT guideline breaches under:

Unenforceable CCA

2.2 (a) (b)*2.4 (b)

Harassment

2.2 (a), 2.4 (g)

Ignoring the Dispute

2.6 (h) (i) (k)

Also, they've consistently misrepresented their/my legal position over the phone - "I've never heard of anyone claiming back credit card charges", etc... Obviously not as strong as written evidence, but worth mentioning? This is, after all, how they prefer to maintain contact with their clients, I wonder why? ;)

It's nice to know that the OFT are going to give them a seeing to, but I would love to get some criminal action going on, if possible! :) So, do I give them more rope or play my card now?

Thanks,

J

Hi Orge,

Don't bother with "holding back cards to play for max effect". You want you money back and you want them to get off your back. Don't expect justice as well ! LoL

File the form N1 at court as soon as your timescale allows - that puts you on a better footing re the OFT rules and puts BC/Mercers in a weaker position.

Make complaints to OFT and TSO as well but don't think BC or Mercers will be punished as a result. They may in the longer term, so all complaints made properly by peeps like you will maybe make things a bit better in the future.

I would focus on getting your money back (and understanding fully the CI element of your claim) and on keeping them from harassing you.

I'd love to think they'll be punished, fined, etc but I just don't think it'll happen in ways that'll help us little guys. Don't expect too much - then you'll not be disappointed.

Slick

Yes, I can see that "justice" is unlikely to be the immediate outcome from complaints etc - it's all cumulative though. However, they've committed a criminal offence relating to the unenforceable CCA. Passing the agreement off as valid and then threatening legal action sounds pretty serious to me (fraud?)... I would like to know if this constitutes a further offence or just provides further evidence relating to the original.

My POC is ready to file for Thursday and they've given up on the calls. If I wanted completely shot of them I could simply write regarding the unenforceable agreement - I imagine they would disappear pretty sharpish. The only reason I choose not to, is that I would rather play this late in the game - especially if this means there will be a stronger case for both civil and criminal proceedings.

Of course, I am not a blinkered idealist, so I understand that the chances of these institutions ending up in court are slim. However, they pose absolutely no threat to me at the moment, so I might as well give them the opportunity to dig themselves as bigger hole as possible. I can't imagine they would go that far, but what would a judge say if they went to court on that CCA?

Thanks again,

J

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick status update...

Have filed N1 at my local court today. I was warned by the counter clerk that it's possible (probable?) my case will be stayed. I pointed out it was a credit card, but the response suggested that this was not perceived to be different - or they're trying to make out this is the case.

I've noted the threads mentioning the application of stay letter (seems better to write directly to the judge, if possible) and Barclays Legal contacts (Greg and Kate). Will see what happens next...

How long does normally it take to hear from the court?

J

The Court will normally issue N1 to BC very quickly - then you wait to see if BC acknowledge and Defend.

Finally, some kind of response from barclaycard... They've offered me the difference between the old fees and their new £12 level. Shall I take it??... Nah! Barely covers the cost of my N1! :)*They're going to pay it direct into my account, so Rejection Letter 5 will be winging it's way to them tomorrow.

I've also been thinking about what to do once they've paid out... TBF, I'm loath to hand back any amount of the £2k they've made me work hard for. However, I don't think it's entirely right to walk away from a legitimate, if unenforceable, debt (and I do have a substantial overdraft on my current account). I was thinking that I may be able to bargain them to the following arrangement:

Remove any subsequent charges/interest applied after my claim date (possibly the date they defaulted on their CCA, but this would be naughty as my claim is asking for interest during this period! :) ) and I'll pay this sum back on fixed terms over 2-3 of years (at a rate of around £20/month). If there were any further court costs, I would also deduct these.

Clearly, they aren't going to like this very much but I can't see they have a lot to barter with. They could call in the O/D and possibly mark my credit history with a default, but I imagine I could complain about these as punitive to the FOS?

Opinions? As stated, I'm not trying to walk away/shirk this debt but I feel that Mercer's/Barclaycard have behaved pretty appallingly throughout this process/period. As such, I do not feel particularly charitable towards them and would like to make it very clear that this sort of bollock's does not endear them to customer's - it's also rather foolish when they're own legal position is so tenuous.

J

Hi Orge,

Send your letter of rejection and the wait to see how they respond to you Filing your claim.

Whats the approx debt on the BC now, before the refund of approx £2K ? (I assume it's approx £2,600).

Please break down the chgs and int't you're claiming

If you are willing to acknowledge and service the remaining debt, I don't know if you have any hold over them with the late CCA aspect. That may only play a part if you are prepared to try and have the debt written down to zero re unenforceability.

Certainly worth considering though, because they won't take kindly to the CI element of your claim.

Hi Slick,

My debt is around £500 and my claim is for just over £2000. Of this, £800 is charges, £700 is CI and £400 is s69.

So, if I make an agreement would that be seen as "acknowledging and servicing" the debt - or is this relating to claiming the charges (i.e. my POC state that we entered into an agreement regulated by the act)? Would this make the debt enforceable again or just make it possible for them to apply for a judge to make an enforcement order?

Thanks again,

J