Halifax Visa Card

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6006 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Owing to claiming Incapacity Benefit for several months and now currently in receipt of Job Seekers Allowance, I can no longer meet the minimum monthly repayments on my card so I am therefore in a position where I'm forced to offer them whatever I'm able to afford per month, which will be nowhere near what they are currently demanding, £85.00, over £60.00 of this is interest!

I hasten to add that I haven't used my card since first claiming benefit.

So, I'm just wondering if anyone has been in the same position as me with a Halifax Visa card, and how accommodating they were (or not) about it.

Would really appreciate an answer, thank you.

sue ..

Hi Sadsue

You need to get in touch with them as soon as possible- now. By phone first, which must be followed up in writing.

This needs to be your priority.

Work out what you think you might be able to pay, total your outgoings and be realistic about what you actually spend, ie don't overestimate what you think you can pay them. Discuss that with them.

By any chance, do you have any payment protection insurance with that agreement? Only a suggestion as you may have forgotten about it.

The "bump" you quoted was someone being helpful and "bumping" your post to the top for someone to answer.

Keep posting on progress and ask for any advice. We all need to ask questions.

You will get plenty of support here.

Hopefully, soon, you can change from sadsue to happysue!!!!!

Good luck

Kennythecelt:) :) :)

• Haha 1

Remember, they are open now.

If you leave it, you run the risk of incurring bank charges and that will add pressure on you.

Kenny .... thank you very much for your reply, much appreciated.

When I first opened a Visa account my financial situation was comfortable, so I very naively assumed I wouldn't need added insurance, DOH!

However, this didn't stop them from deducting £3.00's odd from my account each month for several months, WITHOUT my permission, and I STILL haven't been reimbursed. Probably why I feel so cynical about them at this moment in time.

It's been a foul day and I'm feeling tetchy, so will leave the phone call until tomorrow. At least then no one will have their head bitten off ... lol

Hi Sue

I was in the same situation as you not so long back although I am still on incapacity benefit.

I got the CAB to sort my payments out, I now pay everyone including Halifax Visa £1 a month.

There are some template letters here, http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html choose which one best suits you and get it off in the post ASAP send recorded delivery so they cannot claim not to have got it.

Also get yourself an appointment with the CAB, they can get all interest stopped and set an amount that you can afford to pay.

Any problems just ask and someone will offer help and support.

Good luck and keep us posted.

• Haha 1

Hi,

noticed following thread and thought you might be interested.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank-bank-scotland/108952-claim-charges-taken-benefits.html

Perhaps Steven can help, his court action certainly could be something to follow up.

Thank you Kenny .... you're a Star! .

I'm not sure they'll take my benefit from my account as I'm currently into my overdraft, however, I'm going to open a basic account with another Bank just to make damn sure they cant get their grubby little mitts on it! :rolleyes:

Hi Sue

I was in the same situation as you not so long back although I am still on incapacity benefit.

I got the CAB to sort my payments out, I now pay everyone including Halifax Visa £1 a month.

There are some template letters here, http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html choose which one best suits you and get it off in the post ASAP send recorded delivery so they cannot claim not to have got it.

Also get yourself an appointment with the CAB, they can get all interest stopped and set an amount that you can afford to pay.

Any problems just ask and someone will offer help and support.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Moneyhelp .... thank you so much. I hadn't thought of CAB, probably because I didn't think they had that much influence, how wrong can one be!

Joining this forum has taken a great weight off my mind already. Bless you all. :):):)

You're welcome Sue - isn't is fab that we have somewhere where we can seek help and support, at times I have felt so alone in my battles with the banks - coming here has certainly changed my life - they will no longer bully and harass me that's fer sure :D

You're welcome Sue - isn't is fab that we have somewhere where we can seek help and support, at times I have felt so alone in my battles with the banks - coming here has certainly changed my life - they will no longer bully and harass me that's fer sure :D

Indeed it is ... :)

I'm feeling better already (partly owing to a bottle of plonk I have here), but mostly to the excellent advice you good people have offered me.

:grin: ... See, feeling much happier now ... :wink:

hi sue glad your feeling happier now like money says this site definitly makes you a stronger person the people are fantastic theres always someone around to lend an ear and help and theres laughs along the way be it a mad bunch but a good bunch good luck

Morning Sue

Remember you can claim charges on not only credit card but bank accounts, loans, mortgages and storecards/ catalogues etc.

Think about planning to get statements (full banking history) from all accounts you have had. You will be surprised at the amount of unlawful charges- plus interest.

Don't rush in though, just think about it and plan your own campaign to get your money back!!

Hi sue. I had a halifax Visa card until recently and was suffering the same problem of not being able to make the payments. Halifax were very helpful when i spoke to them. I asked them to close the account and they froze the interest. they then allowed me to pay affordable amounts until the balance was cleared:)

Morning Sue

Don't rush in though, just think about it and plan your own campaign to get your money back!!

Thank you ... again. :)

I fully intend to. Feeling mean and nasty now, which isn't in my nature, but Banks just bring out the worst in me as I'm sure they do most people. :mad:

Hi sue. I had a halifax Visa card until recently and was suffering the same problem of not being able to make the payments. Halifax were very helpful when i spoke to them. I asked them to close the account and they froze the interest. they then allowed me to pay affordable amounts until the balance was cleared:)

Thank you too charlie(not), :)

I'm going to call them on Monday, will report back here with their response to me. Heaven help them if it isn't a favourable one.

I'll be ultra polite and grovel initially, BUT not for long if they won't play ball with me, LOL.

Morning Sue

Remember you can claim charges on not only credit card but bank accounts, loans, mortgages and storecards/ catalogues etc.

Think about planning to get statements (full banking history) from all accounts you have had. You will be surprised at the amount of unlawful charges- plus interest.

01welcome7jb.gif Just carry on at your own speed, follow the good advice that you are getting form Tils, Money and Kenny, any questions just ask and someone is always around to help. They are a good bunch here on the whole, although one or two maybe a little crazy loco2.gif

=======================================================================================================

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Halifax Won £1180.00

NatWest Won £876.00

Halifax 2 N1 submitted 20/07/07 stayed 24/08/07 N244 Application filed 31/08/07 hearing set for 12/11/07 rescheduled for 29/01/2008. Application dismissed stay still in place.

Charity Group £200 compo for lost passport.

HM revenue & Customs; demand for WTC overpayment £632.12. Disputed, their error. Did not have to repay.

All opinions expressed are my own and have no legal standing and no connection to CAG

All errors/typos etc are not my fault the blame lies with the spelling gremlins

<<<<<< If any of this has been helpful, PLEASE click my scales