• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Help with claim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5385 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

no, it doesn't matter if you wait passed the 14 days -

you file the claim when you have the money to do it - that's fine.

you can add on any new charges they may have put on to your account right up to filing the claim.

the thing is - new claims aren't going to be dealt with until after the oft test case which is at least march 2008 - so you are really just putting yourself in line to be dealt with later. this isn't going to just happen like it has been up to now. if you are really stretched - i'd think the best thing to do is - to save up til you have the filing fee and see what's going on at that point - you've let the bank know you aren't happy and they are going to have to deal with you sometime - but not now - so i wouldn't be too concerned that you can't file just yet - that may work out ok for you - just keep an eye on here and see what people are saying a couple of months down the line. but don't give up - listen to the news and you'll hear how this court thing goes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got another letter from them that says: (this is going to be alot of typing...)

We refer to your complain on bank charges. We believe that your complain concerns the level, fairness, or lawfulness of the charges. If it concerns something else, such as an administrative error, please let us know.

We do not agree that our charges are in any way unfair or unenforceable.

Since we last wrote to you, the bank (with several other banks) has become involved in legal proceedings with the office of fair trading ("OFT") on bank charges which we believe will resolve the legal issues about the fairness and legality of your bank charges.

It would be out normal approach to resolve your complain through our internal complaints process as quickly as possible. However, until the determination of the legal issues in the above proceedings, we have asked the Financial Services Authority ("FSA") to suspend the normal timetable for dealing with bank charges complaints, and the FSA has agreed to this request subject to conditions that protect your rights.

We can assure you we have registered and stored your complaint. Please retain your bank records, as this will make it easier for you to support your complaint on resolution of the test case. Once the legal proceedings between the OFT and the banks finish, we will resolve your complaint as quickly as possible.

We are sorry that we have no been able to respond in full to your complaint now, but we (together with the FSA and the OFT) this that it is necessary to resolve the key legal issues before we decide how we should respond to your complaint.

Obviously, exactly what will happen next will depend on the courts. We do not know how long the case will take - we have promised to the proceed as quickly as possible but inevitably given the importance of the issues being considered, this may take many months to finally resolve. But we can assure you that once the legal proceedings are completed we will resolve your complaint as quickly as possible. IF at that stage you do not agree with out conclusions you will of course be able to refer your case to the Financial Ombudsman Service ("FOS") (or to the courts).

Should you decide to refer your case to the Financial Ombudsman Service ("FOS"), you should be aware that we have asked post the FOS and the courts to not proceed with any other case they are hearing until the test case is resolved. The FOS has indicated as a general proposition that it will indeed not proceed with cases which rely on the legal issues being considered in the test case.

Similarly, you should be aware that if you choose to issue a claim in the courts, we will immediately apply to the Court for an order to stay you action until resolution on the bank's proceedings with the OFT.

The FSA requires us to ensure that your complaint will not be adversely affected by the delay in dealing with it and we can assure you that this will not be the case.

We will keep you updated appropriately about the proceedings with the OFT. You can also check the latests position on out website at Home: personal, business, online, internet, banking: HSBC Bank UK.

Yours Sincerely,

Jim Large

General Manager UK Operations

Well that was a challenge on my touch typing.... Excuse any errors... :p

So what now?

So what now?

See here:

OFT Test Case: Advice on What to do

OFT Test claim: What this means for you

OFT v The Banks: Read This if You're Worried

OFT v Banks - **Don't panic!!!**

If you file at court it is likely (although not absolutely certain) to be stayed, but by filing you will ensure that your earliset charges will not be time barred by the 6 year limit and you will be gaining s69 8% interesty in the meantime.

Thanks for your reply MIchael.

Can you (or someone else) rephrase the following in lame-man terms?

"If you file at court it is likely (although not absolutely certain) to be stayed, but by filing you will ensure that your earliset charges will not be time barred by the 6 year limit and you will be gaining s69 8% interesty in the meantime."

Excuse my stupidity.

You can only claim charges from the date 6 years before the date you file at court. Even though the OFT has said this won't apply to stayed claims, by filing at court now, you will ensure that charges from Aug 2001 will not be time barred.

Again s 69 8% interest can only be claimed once you have filed at court, so even though your claim may be stayed, you will still gain interest at the daily rate.

You can only claim charges from the date 6 years before the date you file at court. Even though the OFT has said this won't apply to stayed claims, by filing at court now, you will ensure that charges from Aug 2001 will not be time barred.

Again s 69 8% interest can only be claimed once you have filed at court, so even though your claim may be stayed, you will still gain interest at the daily rate.

Thankyou. Where/how to I apply to the courts, and can I do it online still?

• 2 months later...

I think that they are basically using the OFT test case to an advantage by applying a stay on all claims until the result. Have you filed your claim yet with the court?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D

The trouble is that, I don't think you will get anything back from HSBC until the outcome of the OFT case in January. If you file a claim now, you will also be entitled to the statutory 8% interest from the date of the first charge (and the others of course) to the date the claim is settled. HSBC will not settle prior to the outcome so you may have to wait a while for any response from them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D

• 1 year later...
Still? I last did the whole 'hardship' malarky - failed terribly really. I got a reply refusing to offer anything at all.

Any priority debt arrears(mortgage/rent, council tax, utilities)?

Did you complete I&E form and send arrears notices?

Is the account still being used as your main one?

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Yes, account is still used as main. When I contacted them they offered a Managed Loan of some sort, that is all. I have a loan with them, am struggling with bills, cut off BT phone, been unemployed for past 7 months, plus the Egg card which is maxed out.

Yes, account is still used as main. When I contacted them they offered a Managed Loan of some sort, that is all. I have a loan with them, am struggling with bills, cut off BT phone, been unemployed for past 7 months, plus the Egg card which is maxed out.

Still incurring charges today currently?

No payment plans in place for arrears, no?

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf