• Tweets

• You can edit the answers to be in red or would you like me to do it? HB
    • Apologies dx100uk  I did not put the answers in red  Thank you all for your patience. H
    • Which Court have you received the claim from ? Northampton  Name of the Claimant ? Overdales solicitors  How many defendant's  joint or self ?  Self Date of issue – top right hand corner of the claim form – this in order to establish the time line you need to adhere to.  13 may 2024 What is the claim for – the reason they have issued the claim? the claim is for the sum of £6163.61due by the defendant under an agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974 for hsbc uk bank plc. Account 4546384809766042. The defendant faild to maintain contractual payments required by the agreement and a default notice was served under s 87(1)  of the consumer credit act 1974 which as not been compiled with. The dbt was legally assigned to the Claimant on 23/08/23, notice on which as been given to the defendant.  The claim includes statutory interest under S.69 of the county courts act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue of these proceedings in the sum of £117.53 the Claimant claims the sum of £6281.14. Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ?   Not to my knowledge. Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred?  No Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ?  Online but it was for a smaller amount they kept on increasing this with me asking Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim.  It was assigned to a debt collection agency  Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? yes  Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor?  Yes I also made offers to pay original creditor a smaller amount but was not replied to Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ?  No Why did you cease payments? I was made redundant and got a less paid job I also spent some time on furlough during covid and spent some 3 months on ssp off work. What was the date of your last payment?  May 2021 Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? Yes at the time I communicated with all my creditor's that I was running out of funds to pay the original agreements once my redundancy money ran out that was when my accounts defaulted. I then wrote to all my creditor's with pro rata offers of payments but debt collectors took over the accounts.
    • Just an update for all. I received about a letter every other week, increasing in threat levels. Then I hadn't had one for a about two weeks, then Saturday received a carbon copy of the very first letter they sent me in February. Made me laugh, rinse and repeat. 
    • So, your response was not received by the SCP as you did not send it with a valid stamp. Therefore, from my two option in post #14, the first option is the only one available to you, but you do not have the option of asking to be sentenced at the fixed penalty level as the reason the SCP did not receive your response was down to you. Here's a reminder of what to do: Respond to the SJPN by pleading “Not Guilty” to both charges. In the “Reasons for pleading Not Guilty” box state that you are willing to plead guilty to the speeding charge providing, and only providing, the “Fail to Provide Driver's Details" (FtP) charge is dropped. This is a tried and tested method to deal with your problem and is almost always successful. Before the pandemic it was necessary to attend court to do this "deal" because it needs the agreement of the police prosecutor.. During the pandemic courts made every effort to have as few  people as possible attend and they began doing this deal under the "Single Justice" procedure without the defendant's attendance. Some courts have carried this procedure on whilst others have reverted to a personal attendance being necessary. If you are required to attend, your case will be taken out of the SJ procedure and you will be given a date for a hearing in the normal Magistrates' Court. If that is the way they do it in the area involved you will have to attend, see the prosecutor and offer your "deal" in person. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

juson4 vs Natwest

juson4
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6089 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If you haven't done so already, I'd advise you to download one of these 6. Interest calculation spreadsheets - try one of the 'simple' versions - and enter your charges in as directed. Don't delete the info that's already there - just 'overwrite' it until all of your charges are in the spreadsheet and then get rid of anything you don't need (it automatically calculates the 8% interest as well).

Hedgey to the rescue again. Many thanksxxxxxxx

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

would it be worth sending another letter to cobbetts such as this in the meantime?

It has come to my attention that as of xx/xx/07, that an Allocation Questionaire may not be required in this case.

I am mindful of the vast number of claims with which you are currently dealing. In order to more speedily resolve this matter, I am willing to accept the sum of £xxxx . I do not agree to waive my rights in respect of any other actions, nor do I agree to a clause of confidentiality.

I hope to hear from you very soon so that a reasonable conclusion to this claim might be achieved. I am sure that the courts would approve of our settling this matter in a timely manner and without their further intervention.

For your records, I enclose another copy of my schedule of charges. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

or am i best to just leave it?

To be honest, I wouldn't advise you to send this letter. Wait to hear from the court instead! ;)

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

To be honest, I wouldn't advise you to send this letter. You've only just filed your claim at court............... so they've got 28 days to submit their defence (from when your claim's deemed served) - and anything could happen in that time. You never know, they may settle! ;)

Hi sorry ,im getting a bit twitchy at the thoughts of going to court. I'll have patience.

Thanks again....good job you're around to stop me messing up.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

What you like! Don't worry - you'll be absolutely fine! You're at the 'waiting stage' now.......... and it goes on forever. You 'wait' for the acknowledgement of service, you 'wait' for the defence, you 'wait' for the claim to be transferred............... total waiting game!!!! Have a read through here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-bank/105227-nat-west-claimants-new.html while you're waiting - just to clue yourself up on what to expect next! x ;)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

What you like! Don't worry - you'll be absolutely fine! You're at the 'waiting stage' now.......... and it goes on forever. You 'wait' for the acknowledgement of service, you 'wait' for the defence, you 'wait' for the claim to be transferred............... total waiting game!!!! Have a read through here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-bank/105227-nat-west-claimants-new.html while you're waiting - just to clue yourself up on what to expect next! x ;)

You are good to me :) I've redone my schedule of charges will i need to send the updated copy to Cobbetts and to the court?

Dont worry about going to court you have every right to be there the court system is there to be fair and in my experience as a litigant in person the majority of time I have always been treated with respect which ever side I have been on judges these days seen to pay more respect to litigants in person if they have prepared their case well and all you have to do is follow the advice on this site you will be fine if it ever gets that far the courts are there for us not them just remeber that

Dont worry about going to court you have every right to be there the court system is there to be fair and in my experience as a litigant in person the majority of time I have always been treated with respect which ever side I have been on judges these days seen to pay more respect to litigants in person if they have prepared their case well and all you have to do is follow the advice on this site you will be fine if it ever gets that far the courts are there for us not them just remeber that

Thankyou for that, its just sometimes i feel like a very small fish in a gigantic ocean. :-) Rather overwhelming to think about.

xxx

:) I've redone my schedule of charges will i need to send the updated copy to Cobbetts and to the court?

Yes - just send them a copy with a short covering letter - e.g., please find attached my schedule of charges for information - that should be fine. x :)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

]Hi, well i paid my court fees last week and have been waiting for the dreaded court date, but recieved this letter this morning from the court. Can anyone tell me what it means and what i need to do next.

Before DISTRICT JUDGE MAW sitting at Newark County Court

EX PARTE

IT IS ORDERED THAT

The Court of its own motion is considering striking out the Defence in this action as an abuse of process.

The basis for this is the fact that the Defendant is settling all claims of this nature where Claimants are seeking reimbursement of Bank Charges, with no claims proceeding to a contested hearing.

The Court considers the authority of Mullen-v-Hackney Borough Council (1997) 2 A11ER 906 relevant.

If the Defendant objects to the proposed strike out it is ordered to file, within 14 days of the date of service of this Order, a schedule setting out all claims of this type in England and Wales which have proceeed to a final contested hearing, and the outcome of such hearings, together with a schedule of all such claims which it has compromised before final hearing, after proceedings have been issued.

Upon receipt of any such objections the Court will consider listing the claim for an on notice hearing of the strike out issue.

In the absence of any such objections being filed in time, the Defence will be struck out and judgement entered for the amount claimed by the Claimant, together with the appropriate costs claimable on the small claims track.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong, someone!) it means the Judge is saying that because Natwest never defend, and settle all previous claims, that unless Natwest come up with a list of all claims which have actually gone to a final, contested hearing, then the Judge is going to chuck out their defence and enter a judgement for you. Which would mean you'd won....

Not sure what you have to do next though - I'm sure one of the legal bods will be along soon to clarify

I think (correct me if I'm wrong, someone!) it means the Judge is saying that because NatWest never defend, and settle all previous claims, that unless Natwest come up with a list of all claims which have actually gone to a final, contested hearing, then the Judge is going to chuck out their defence and enter a judgement for you. Which would mean you'd won....

Not sure what you have to do next though - I'm sure one of the legal bods will be along soon to clarify

Hi Wendy, thats what i thought but didnt want to get my hopes up incase id got it wrong ............. still nervous that Nastywest will make an example of my claim and i'll have to attend court......... Thanks for clarifying it for me.xxxx

That's great news Juson - brilliant! Looks like you have a two week wait now (possibly less!) as it's doubtful cobbetts will submit the info that the judge has requested. Smart Judge - we could do with a few more like him!! xx ;)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

That's great news Juson - brilliant! Looks like you have a two week wait now (possibly less!) as it's doubtful cobbetts will submit the info that the judge has requested. Smart Judge - we could do with a few more like him!! xx ;)

Thanks Hedgey......i'll keep my fimgers crossed then and wait ;) . Thanks for gettin me this far....its made all the difference. i'll update when anything else happens xxxxxxxxx

Hey Juson4,

I have been franticly searching the net to find a case which is at the same stages as mine. It appears I am about 1 week or 2 behind you.

I have sent the letter to Cobbetts with the list of charges and the denial of their request. Now awaiting a reply.

I see your reply (the AQ) took 5(ish) days. I posted it (registered Mail) on Friday (29/07) so hopefully it will come soon.

Great news about the response you received from the court.

I only hope our claims don't all get frozen based on the information Martin has mentioned in this article: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/bank-charges-alert

Providing this does not "freeze" our claims, I am 110% certain we will be refunded every penny we have claimed.

Your claim is pretty much in the bag now anyway.

Hey Juson4,

I have been franticly searching the net to find a case which is at the same stages as mine. It appears I am about 1 week or 2 behind you.

I have sent the letter to Cobbetts with the list of charges and the denial of their request. Now awaiting a reply.

I see your reply (the AQ) took 5(ish) days. I posted it (registered Mail) on Friday (29/07) so hopefully it will come soon.

Great news about the response you received from the court.

I only hope our claims don't all get frozen based on the information Martin has mentioned in this article: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/bank-charges-alert

Providing this does not "freeze" our claims, I am 110% certain we will be refunded every penny we have claimed.

Your claim is pretty much in the bag now anyway.

Hi, Like you i searched this site for help and found it to be a great source of info and support. I dont think that any "freezes " will be happenng overnight so i would think you're ok there. As far as my claim goes.......well, although i'm hopeful i still have everything crossed and am just waiting for the postie sometime over the next 2 weeks although i still feel nervous that something will go wrong even at this late stage and i'll have to go to court. Here's hoping it doesn't come to that.

Keep positive about your claim and as you're not that far behind me i'm sure you'll be fine. Keep looking at my posts as i will update as soon as i hear anything

Good Luck :)

HI , i was very interested to read the above as i am at exactly the same stage , i rang my court today and was told that the court has stayed my case , a court decision not at the request of the defence.

can anyone tell me can i appeal against a stay ? Also as its stayed can i submit an application to the court to have the defence struck out as an abuse of process ?

And further can i quote the actions of another court / judge (ie Juson 4's judge ) in any request to the judge dealing with my case ?

If the court has stayed your case - you should receive this in writing. It may be nothing to do with the OFT announcement. If they have stayed it pending the outcome of the test case, please read the links attached to my signature on how to apply to have the stay removed. And if you haven't done so yet- please start your own thread in this forum ;)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

HI , i was very interested to read the above as i am at exactly the same stage , i rang my court today and was told that the court has stayed my case , a court decision not at the request of the defence.

can anyone tell me can i appeal against a stay ? Also as its stayed can i submit an application to the court to have the defence struck out as an abuse of process ?

And further can i quote the actions of another court / judge (ie Juson 4's judge ) in any request to the judge dealing with my case ?

Hi, i'd love to be of some help to you but........listen to the man who knows, ie; Hedgey :wink: Thats what i've been doing. XXXXX

• 2 weeks later...

Well , its day 14 of the 14 days Natwest were given by the judge and i've heard nothing from either natwest or the court. Any ideas what i should do now as i'm beginning to think my case has been fogotten or i should have done something ?

Told you they wouldn't submit anything! ;)

Phone the court Monday morning and explain that they've failed to comply with the Judge's directions and you'd like to enter Judgement against them (at the end of the day, the Judge did state that their defence would be struck out if they didn't comply!) To apply for the Judgement, just complete the N205A (Notice of Issue) form that you received a couple of weeks after originally filing your claim at court - then hand it in!

Looks like you've won Juson, I'll save the congrats for the mo though!!!! Let us know what happens Monday morning......... I want a full report! x :D

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***