• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

un1boy - N1 issued for breach of CCA request

un1boy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5438 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

THEY are the respondants, YOU are the appellant.

If they haven't filed anything, they are in trouble. This is probably why they are wanting you to panic a little...

what do I do then?

To be honest I am panicking - I am goign to offer £500 payment that ca be paid immediately in addition to bearing our own costs in order to get this over with....

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

I think this is because they are hoping that you don't get permission to appeal - as the Court has already said that it will deal with your appeal if permission is granted on the same day, they have been very silly in not complying with the orders to submit argument before the hearing.

Sorry, but I can't see what you have to panic about, Un1?

They are the respondants to your application and have chosen to ignore the Courts orders on submissions of arguments.

what do I do then?

To be honest I am panicking - I am goign to offer £500 payment that ca be paid immediately in addition to bearing our own costs in order to get this over with....

Chill Un1! chill!

I think they have realised that THEY have made the mistake. If the court order really was/is wrong, why have they not applied to the court to get it ammended? ;)

TBH and in my opinion, they know they are stuffed and they are just trying to scare you into bowing out. You can do it! you have everything there, you just need to get it infront of a decent judge now!

H

Guys,

They have called to say that we are going to swap skeleton arguments on wednesday apparently.

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

You can do it! you have everything there, you just need to get it infront of a decent judge now!

H

You're right, and that's the risk I can't afford to take to be honest - if I don't get a decent judge and he won't let me appeal, I can't take it further - simple as.....I can't afford financially to...

My charges claims:

Default removals:

If they already ahve a court order, can we still discuss a negotiated setltlement?

I was pretty confident a min ago after getting things sorted, by my confidence is shot now so I want to offer a cash settlement to them.

You have to go with your gut feeling - if you can settle on your terms that your happy with, go for it.

Just be aware that if you attempt a settlement uni, & they already have a court order, it still has to be put before the court to agree it otherwise they can come back & say you've not complied with the order. i.e. the 2 x parties cannot make an agreement between themselves & just forget the existence of the court order no matter how willing or what agreement they are both prepared to put a signature to.

IMO you have them on the run but I can see how the first DJ knocked your confidence so as car says, go with what suits you, it would still be a victory.

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

I have just had a call from the bank's sols - the order says that the respondant needs to enter their skelton by he is saying it's me, not them and that the order is wrong

Believe me, they would not want to remind you of complying, they are trying to pull a fast one, they are on the run and they know it.

Believe me, they would not want to remind you of complying, they are trying to pull a fast one, they are on the run and they know it.

I'd be inclined to agree... When I went to court their solicitor scoffed at all my arguments, but I got what I wanted :-)

If my comments have been useful please click the scales and let me know.

Me vs Rockwell/Tessara/RBofS: pending.

Me vs MBNA/1st Crud: Discontinued.

First Direct Overdraft: CCJ won.

IR: 2 CCJs 1 won.

Birmingham Midshires: pending

BT: pending

others to come....

Guys,

Their skeleton arguments go on about how the judge was right because of the terms of the word embodies and that I agreed with that at the time.

to be honest, I am going to settle. The cheeky b@stards want 50% of the total ordered balance, incl the interest (around £3000) i asked them to accept £2000 coz that's what I have, and said could they consider the fact they breached orders and others things, but they said no.

I will prob pay them the 50% - my ultimate aim in all of this was only for the default ot be removed, which comes off naturally in 18 months anyway, lol....I was alwasys happy to pay the balance, but as time went on I thought "F*** it, I might as well go for the account ot be written off".

So, to pay 50% of the balance is ok by me....I just can't risk going in front of another judge who doesn't understand the law.

What I will do is complain about the court to the ministry of justivce (and with transcripts of the hering and judgemnt, that should be easier!!) and I will make complaints about the sols to the Solicitors Regulation Authority over the way they breached orders and didn't give me their sjieleton arguments....I'll let those complaints sort themselves out....at the end of the day, the sols h ave a duty of care over me too apparently....so we;ll see what the SRA have to say about it.

I just really can't afford to not get permission to appeal and have to take it further....

I haven't settled yet, and still have another week or so until the hearing.

If I do agree setllement, what happens as I am aware they have this order...the sols told me that they can get the order struck out by consent.

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Hello Un1boy!

I really think you should keep going. I know I would.

If you re-read your Skeleton, you have a lot going for you.

I know it's daunting but, letting these people off the hook now would be a great shame, and one you may look back on later and wish you had pushed on.

But, this is just my opinion, and you must do what you are happy with.

However, the case history makes a very clear distinction between s61(1)(a) contains and s61(1)(b) embodies.

Their argument does not hold up, yours does.

Cheer,

BRW

Hello Un1boy!

I know it's daunting but, letting these people off the hook now would be a great shame, and one you may look back on later and wish you had pushed on.

However, the case history makes a very clear distinction between s61(1)(a) contains and s61(1)(b) embodies.

Cheer,

BRW

Hiya

Thanks for this.

What case history are you referring to? The only thing I hvae relating to that is Goode's thing and to be honest I think they are trying to get it "struck out" as new evidence.

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Hello Un1boy!

Cheer,

BRW

I know what you mean - but if the judge doesn't agree....and I have to consider s/he won't...I can't afford to appeal it again.

And...if I win, I reckon they'll appeal - which means it'll go on even longer.

My confidence has been shot to pieces to be honest and I just can't the risk.

My charges claims:

Default removals:

I suppose if you're avoiding future cost implications by settling now, you're actually saving in the long run, Un1.

Only you can make that judgment call, though.

We aren't all Crusaders...

We aren't all Crusaders...

Thanks....you making me feel guilty now!! :(

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Aw....I feel like I've let everyone down now.

The decision to settle hasn't come lightly, I assure you all. My reasons behind it are:

a. I simply cannot afford to appeal if this Judge doesn't understand and ends up not giving me right to appeal.

b. I was always happy to pay the balance tried to offer before it even went to court.

c. It's been going on for 3 years now and I have been so stressed out with it that it's been effecting my work and relationship.

d. If the Judge does allow me to appeal, but still doesn't understand the law, I cannot afford it if he rules in their favour and would then probably allow them costs too.

e. After my experiences with the court system letting me down, I can't risk having to go through all of this again more than anything.

f. My main aim was to get the default removed....seeing as there is only 18 months left until it gets removed naturally, there seems little point in it all now to be honest.

g. I just simply cannot afford any more costs financially.

h. Looking at the way the bank charges cases have been handled, and considering the global banking crisis, it worries me to see that certain judges are considering putting these types of claims on hold as well. I therefore think it is highly likeley that a judge would rule in their favour anyway just through not wanting the banks to end up going bankrupt (and these cases more than bank charges are likely to have that happen).

I have no faith in the "justise" system and I am tired of fighting it.

I would love nothing more than to take this to trial and end up winning as I think I would be awarded interest and costs, but I am not being greedy with it and it can directly effect my job (which at the moment is very risky anyway) and I was likely to be taken on with the default anywyay. If I can be seen to be paying it off, that may help.

I hope all if this makes sense?

My charges claims:

Default removals:

It makes perfect sense Uni, you mustn't feel guilty. You have got to get what you feel is the best result for you out of these situations, you are not acting on behalf of a CAG campaign.

You have exceeded beyond expectation to get this far & your postings have been to the benefit of CAGers who can take all your experiences & learn from them.

Make your decision, go with it & live the rest of your life in peace & happiness.

Best wishes - FG :)

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

Hey Uni,

I'm disappointed in your decision, but you shouldn't feel bad or guilty at all... You've put up a great fight and you have to do what is right for you... Now get on with the rest of your life! :-)

Here's to a happy and successful future... :-)

Regards

If my comments have been useful please click the scales and let me know.

Me vs Rockwell/Tessara/RBofS: pending.

Me vs MBNA/1st Crud: Discontinued.

First Direct Overdraft: CCJ won.

IR: 2 CCJs 1 won.

Birmingham Midshires: pending

BT: pending

others to come....

Hello Un1boy!

I feel like I've let everyone down now.
Not at all, I think people can just see that you are close to victory, but close is by no means a certainty. So, you must do what you feel is best. No need at all to feel bad about that. I for one would not want you to feel that way, and hope nothing I have said has caused you to feel like that.

The sad fact is the system is bent, and the majority of Judges are biased towards the banks. Not all, and not an overwhelming majority, but it is definitely well over 50%. The chances of getting a bad Judge are far higher than getting a good one.

However, I do feel that the bias starts to fade the higher up you go, so your chances of a fairer hearing at the next step up is higher. Not brilliant, but likely to be better.

Sadly, it all gets much more stressful and pressured the higher it gets, and the banks/DCAs know this. They rely upon beating people at the first and second hurdles, because they know the system is weighted in their favour at the County Court Deputy-District/District/Circuit Judge level.

It's still wobbly at the High Court level too, but once you get there, they tend to look at the law a little more carefully, and there's less room for bias. If they want to be biased at that level, then they have to work harder at it. Take the Rankine Judgement for example, and look at how hard that Judge had to work to get the result he wanted. That Judgment will be challenged one day, and not before time.

The bottom line is, if you have had enough of this nonsense, and want to get on with your life and move on, then nobody here is going to hold that against you at all.

Your battle is just one that many people have followed, so many people are fighting their own battles through yours, and so would really like to see you take them on as far as it goes to obtain fairness.

It is easy to encourage someone, much harder to fight the battle yourself.

I do know what you are going through. ;)

Cheers,

BRW

Hello Un1boy!

Just one more thought...if you have £2k available to settle with, another possible thought could be to spend that on a good Barrister.

Going in armed with your own Barrister will significantly boost your chances and, if you win, you will get those fees back, plus you will also get back a lot more besides.

Flip side is, if you lose, you have spent the £2k you were going to try and settle with...but the likelihood of complete failure reduces if you have someone competent to fight your corner.

I can see your reservations, because fighting this at Appeal as a Litigant in Person is 2-3 times harder than fighting the original case as a Litigant in Person.

I would say that when going for an Appeal, and if it is at all possible, then it's almost a requirement that you should try and line up a Barrister to fight that particular battle for you.

Going in alone is indeed a daunting step, so I'm not at all surprised that you are not confident, given the way the system has treated you thus far.

Cheers,

BRW

• Haha 1

Thanks for all your posts.

I would get a solicitor to represent me with the 2k but to be honest, it's too late now - the hearing is on weds.

Even with a solicitor, if I won I think the bank would appeal and I just can't have this going on any longer.

I work in finance and having the default is bad enough - if I get mad eredundant then I'm less employable with it for a start.

But the main reaosn for settling is just that I can't take the risk with costs. There is an article on the bbc news website about companies claiming these agreements can be made unenforcable and it's the ministry of justice telling people to be careful etc etc and I just can't afford to take this any higher.

It was quite funny actually - I told the guy at the sols that II was reporting them to the SRA and he completely changed his tune with meand started being nice. He asked if I was complaining about him or the company - I just said "you will recevie notificaiton from the SRA in due course"

The bank's sols have told me I don't have to go to the hearing if I don't want to on weds, but I don't have permission not to attend. Do you think i should attend anyway?

My charges claims:

Default removals:

If you've really resigned yourself to leaving it as it is, whatever happens, Un1, it may just be worthwhile you're attending. If you share your challenges with the Judge, he can't fail to see how you've been mistreated by the "system", how the other side have played you. Hearing that you've finally given up, won't take it further whatever he decides, after all that, might just get you a lenient ear and some favour for coming this far.

I don't think the Bank will appeal if you win - it would cost them more money, after bad, so the commercial decision should be to let sleeping dogs lie from both of you.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, matey...

Un1,

The bank's sols have told me I don't have to go to the hearing if I don't want to on weds, but I don't have permission not to attend. Do you think i should attend anyway?

Totally understand your reasons. You MUST go on Wednesday as if you do not there is a good chance that the Bank's solicitor will try to stiff you with a wasted costs order.

This is small claims track? If it is then there can be no costs order from an appeal hearing unless you are unreasonable. Not turning up could be classed as unreasonable.

Good Luck

Dad

Dad