Mike vs Natwest!

Mikedav
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6533 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

I’m new! I had an incident with Natwest I’d like to share and I’d like to know if I have any comeback?

In 2004 I opened a second current account. I bank with HSBC, but the second account was with Natwest. Long story short, I wasn’t using it and decided to close it.

I went into a branch to pay off the £20 I was overdrawn and close the account. The manager told me ‘it will cost £45 to close this account’. I said ‘Ill leave it dormant then’, and he said ‘that’s my choice’. So I did. He also kept my debit card?

That was in mid 2004. In late 2005, I received a letter from a collection agency: I owe Natwest £416.42. I ignored it, contacted Natwest directly and asked what the hell was this as I pay EVERYTHING on time EVERY time!

I have moved around a lot and they claim not to have been able to reach me, but I have a LARGE Natwest business loan and a Natwest Master Card, so its not like I did it maliciously (although they are separate entities). I asked for statements, which they sent (not all mind you, only half of them). It turns out, after I left the branch the account went £45 overdrawn again (those ‘charges’) and ever since, Natwest had been adding £20 a month!

I wrote a steaming letter, offered £100 as full and final settlement goodwill gesture and demanded they remove the default they had put on my name. Their reply basically said I was due to pay those charges, but they cashed my cheque and I’ve heard nothing since.

It seems I might not have had to pay anything at all, but any advice or guidance on what I could do here? Or have I shot myself in the foot my ‘settling’?

Thanks in advance

I'm not sure you did settled. You settled on the condition that the default would be removed and the debt written off. I assume this hasn't happened.

The debt was £416.42 made up of credit card charges.

You paid £100 so you have £316.42 as an unsettled debt on the credit reference file.

Just file a claim for i) 316.42 to be written off ii) £100 back, and iii) a removal of the default entry.

You have lots of accounts with natwest and might have been charged illegal fees in your other dealings with them. Do a DPA and find out!

Well the letter they sent me as a reply to my complaint basically said:

A) You DO owe us this money

B) But we will remove the default

I replied with the cheque saying 'here's £100, if you cash it, I will take that as full and final settlement and that tyou have removed the default.' I have not checked my credit record so I don't know if they have or not, but they did cash it.

How do I get a record of any dealings I personally have had with Natwest as a whole? Is that a 'DPA'? Ive moved alot so how do they know its me, do I simply put all my addresses? And who should I write to? Thanks for the prompt response!

ok, one thing at the time.

First, you need to read the FAQs and step by step and read around the forum especially the natwest one, as they all function slightly differently, and you need to get a feel for the NWB methodology...

A Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act for a set fee of £10 will get you your past statements. In your case, is that all you need? If not, you might need to tweak the template letter to target specifically what you're after.

You need to give them your account number, full name, DOB, last address registered to account. But tbh, it doesn't look like they'll have problems tracing you.

You need to write to the collection agency stating that you dispute part or totality of the debt, there's a template in the Library for that too.

Once you know how much the bstrds have stung you for, go for it. In your case, should be fairly easy, it seems pretty much the totality of the debt is composed of charges, so that once it's paid back you should be totally in the clear.

But first, read read read around.

Keep us posted.