Reclaiming Charges From Halifax plc

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6125 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Like everyone I have incurred bank charges and have decided to claim them back. I'm just starting out and would glad of some advice. Have downloaded letter to request list of bank charges over the last 6 years. However, already have bank statements for last year and a half and all letters notifying me of 'sledgehammering my account' charges. My question is this as it would take some 40 days for Halifax to provide me with a list of all charges would it be possible to start my claim now and then amend the figure taken from existing bank statements when I have full details of charges? On reading the Money Box Live website it suggests that I could make an estimate of bank charges incurred in previous years where I think there may be such charges and add this to the known amount. The site suggests I can then file the total amount when I recieve all details of charges. Does anyone have comments on this strategy. Is it a good idea or should I wait until I have full details?

The other question is would it be possible to claim additional costs based on the amount of distress experienced and the time taken to claim the charges back? The reason I am asking is that I have a chronic disorder which has been made worse by the ever spiralling debt trap caused by excessive charges. Don't mean to moan as I can appreciate everyone is affected.

Sorry for lengthy request for help but I am taking the 'bull by the horns' while I am feeling well enough.

Cheers and good luck to all.

Linjie ;-)

Hi and welcome again ;)

I am going to mention to the court that all this has caused me un nessasary stress too, I know he will listen as I have a medical team to back me up, so I am going to add it too.

Have you started with your SAR to get all the information you need? if not I would suggest starting at the begining here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/31460-example-step-step-instructions.html and follow the tried and tested route, then you can be sure you are going down the right road.

You will find lots of helpful and supportive folk here. Use this thread to update your progress and ask any questions you may have.

And remember we are all in the same boat ;)

Good luck with your claim :)

Some sites do advise to get started on estimates, but it is the best option to stick to one site.

You can alter the amount on a claim up till you file at court, but to estimate a whole claim isnt a good idea.

How long ago did you send for your SAR?

• Haha 1

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Good evening,

Have not sent off SAR yet am just at the stage of reading through the statements I have and logging charges on Excel. The reason I sent out the request for advice is that I am wary of trying to move outside the prescribed route. I think what I will do is to send the SAR tomorrow and wait for the outcome and meanwhile seek further advice about claiming additional costs.

I have much empathy for people who have suffered psychologically and physically as a result of incurring bank charges and would welcome further discussion. I hope you do make a claim Moneyhelp and look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks for advice Sea-Side Lady I guess it is much better to play it safe.

Linjie ;-)

Dont ever be stuck, if you need any help or just having a moan, there are always plenty of people here to help you.

Remenber a question (no matter how daft..:D ) is easier to answer than to fix a mistake.

F&Q's... Read here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Thanks for your kindness in replying. I have taken your advice and printed out the S.A.R and I will sent it tomorrow. Ah 40 days wait good job the sun is shining!:D

Linjie ;-)

Make copies of everything you send, so you dont get lost. :D

• Haha 1

F&Q's... Read here

Good idea. Lucky to have an all in one printer so I can copy and scan stuff. I'm focused and ready and loking forward to a rumble with Halifax.

Still reeling from the time I phoned them to try and reclaim a bank charge and I was told in such a patronising way to manage my finances better.

Looking forward to retaliating but in a slightly more respectful way. ;)

Linjie ;-)

Hm what's that saying no pain no gain ;) !

S.A.R signed, sealed and delivered (well almost).

Now off to confront my credit rating.

Thanks again for support it has made so much difference to my attitude.

Hope things are going well with you and Sea-Side lady. :)

Linjie ;-)

Do you have other accounts to tackle??

F&Q's... Read here

GO FOR IT,

What do you have to lose?

I gave it my all and i won!!!!!

I cant urge you enough, i put in the court claim, i had my money before it got to a court hearing, the banks are still trying to scare people into not going to court!!!

I'm pretty certain that they will look at your account to see if they think you can afford to go to court, do what i did, get smeone else to pay for it! My saving grace was my cheques, they were my dads! this stratergy worked, how could they deny they had letters when they had cashed cheques. They cant, my advice is get someone else to fund it up front. They cant deny it if they've cashed cheques and cashed them.

Email me @ [email protected]

Hi,

Thanks for message Sea-sidelady. I have two current accounts with Halifax and have incurred bank charges on both. Amounts to some £1100

not taking into account interest. I requested details of charges on both accounts when I sent the S.A.R.

I did have an account with NatWest that had a £900 authorised overdraft limit. At the end of 2001 it became some £915 overdrawn and as a consequence I incurred charges that took the account to some £1150 overdrawn. I paid off the balance and closed the account in February 2003. Can I claim charges on an account I closed? Hm! I wonder. Any advice would be appreciated. All the details of my NatWest account are archived in store but I could pull out the details. I incurred other charges tin 2001 which were taken out of my account before the 'final straw'

I don't know if you have been following the Tom Brennan story but I have posted a link for your interest.

Might be good for you Moneyhelp because there are a couple of legal terms that are useful if you claim additional damages for stress etc.

BBC NEWS | Business | Charges case 'madness' says bank

Thanks again for support

Linjie ;-)

Yes you can claim on a closed account. They will have to pay you by cheque. If you have all your statements then just fire of the prelim, if not then SAR again. :D

I will have an up dated read of Toms thread.

F&Q's... Read here

Thanks Poorbaroness. I will go for it. Totally fedup being punished for going overdrawn by piddly little amounts like £15.00. It's a bitter irony that our unauthorised overdrafts are for basic necessities yet banks can invest in risky ventures and lose millions! Gosh how careless of them.

While I am having a moan it is interesting that I can toddle into a supermarket and buy food that will take me £15 overdrawn and the payment goes through. Should it not be stopped at point of sale :!:? I could prattle on all night. I know my accounts would be in credit if it wasn't for all the :x charges.

Why did Halifax say they had not recieved letters from you?

Congratulations again

Linjie ;-)

Hi Sea-sidelady

Thanks very much I think I will try and claim it back. Need to pull the details out of store on Suaturday. It would be great if I could retrieve the money cause that would take me completely out of debt.

Cheers

Best wishes to everyone else. :)

Linjie ;-)

Well there is nothing to lose.

So go get em..! :D

F&Q's... Read here

Thanks so much for your help.

I just wondered how things were going with you moneyhelp and you too Sea-sidelady and Poorbaroness too?

When I joined the forum I was so full of my own worries that I did not really acknowledge what was going on with you all.

I see that you Sea-sidelady have won your cases against Haiifax and that is brilliant I've read that you are going on to challenge others that have 'ripped you off' and I have so much respect for you. Please let me know what is happening.

Moneyhelp it is not so clear to me what is happening with you and I would love to know. You were so supportive of me when I was so down and I would welcome your continued support. Equally, I hope I can support you too.

Poorbaroness you have won your case and that is fantastic and you found time to offer me support. I promise you that I may appear needy but I really enjoy hearing what is hapening with other people. Do keep in touch.

Love to you all

Linjie ;-)

Hiya Linjie,

We all support each other here, so if ever you need anything, just ask.

Yes i have a few claims on the go at the minute. But unfortunalty not mine. Its family members. But it keeps me busy :D

F&Q's... Read here

Hi Lin,

Thank you for your kind words ;)

Like Sea side lady I have a few claims on the go at the moment, you can find one of them here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank-bank-scotland/88614-moneyhelp-halifax-bank.html

I am also doing one with the Yorkshire bank for a friend. Plus 2 others for myself, one Barclaycard and a Halifax visa.

The support here is amazing.

How far have you now got with your claim, have you got a response from Halifax yet?

Do keep us posted and I wish you well.

Hi Linjie.

Welcome to the forum :D.

I've not long been a member myself but have found it informative and full of ordinary people like myself, who have got into trouble partly caused by excessive penalty charges.

I have subscribed to your thread to see how you get on. I too bank with Halifax and like you have incurred charges over the years on both accounts.

I am currently not going after them yet as I am missing three statements from them. I did an S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) last week, so am counting down my 40 days. The only reason why I have decided to hold on is because knowing my luck, the three missing statements may hold another £100 (or more) worth of charges! Therefore I will wait.

I am itching to go however because even without the three missing statements, I have worked out that they owe me £3751 for charges alone, on only one account :-x

Good luck with everything. Hopefully I shouldn't be too far behind you and we can compare notes. BTW can anyone say on average how long it is taking Halifax to send out statements?

You can see who else I'm taking on in my signature!

Once again good luck :)

deedee

My threads

deedee1310 v Abbey, deedee1310 v Capital One, deedee1310 v Halifax Plc, CapQuest CCJ, deedee1310 v Littlewoods & deedee1310 v Smile

If I have been of help in even the smallest way, please click the star and "add to my reputation" :p