• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

shar37-v-cap 1 **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6128 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI, I wrote to cap 1 on 8th May requesting payment of my charges of £1,036. I received on offer of a goodwill payment for £172 on 19 May. Sent letter back to them on 30 May declining offer but accepting it as part payment on the understanding that I would pursue recovery of the remainder with a County Court claim if necessary bla bla bla.

This morning received this letter stating they feel their fees are both legal and fair and they are dissapointed I was considering court action. That the OFT hadn't told them that they were obliged to refund any fees. They were not prepared to make a full refund and that was their final response to the matter. Is this the standard reply people are getting from them?

When I start court action I will be using my local magistrates court, could someone please tell me what I need to take with me. I would be gratefull for your help. Really need the money back.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Shar

To date Capital One have only paid out once court claim has been filed. Can I ask what interest you are claiming, compound contractual or the stat 8%. It makes a difference to what form you use to file your claim.

glav:)

Hi, You can claim 8% statutory interest when you file a court claim, however, Cap1 will be charging you somewhere between 17 & 34% on the money you have borrowed and the charges you have paid. They "compound" this (charge interest on the interest). You can ask for your charges to be repaid with "compunded contractual interest". In my case charges were £297 and interest £591 when using CCI method. Well worth doing. You need to inform them you are claiming CCI from the start if you choose to do this.

• Haha 1

Barclays - 2 Accounts - WON

Capital 1 - WON with CI

LTSB - WON

LTSB pre 6 years - N1 for non compliance filed

Barclays pre 6 years - Prelim sent

Hi jshtr3. On the previous letters I have sent cap 1 I asked for my charges back which was a total of £1,036. I stated in the letter that I would start court proceedings to reclaim not only the full amount but also interest and costs. Can I still apply for the interest. If so I would like to claim "compunded contractual interest". But have no idea where to start.:confused:

Never been told by anyone with knowledge that you can or can't but I took the decision to change my mind on CCI after sending LBA. I Sent another LBA which I ammended and gave 10 days before filing in court. You start by filling in a new spreadsheet. I used the one in vamps chambers "throughout the claim with CCI". Hope that helps

Capital 1 - WON with CI

LTSB - WON

Sorry, it's vampiress chambers and it's in the templates library. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/182-6-interest-calculation-spreadsheets.html It's a google spreadsheet so you'll need to register first but it's very simple but any problems just ask.

Capital 1 - WON with CI

LTSB - WON

I've tried getting to the spreadsheets but can't open them, maybe because my pc is quite old. Any help would be really appreciated. I really need to get this done.

hi , are u able to see the spreadsheet? if so u need to copy it and then u can input your own info. If not go to google and register for an account. then come back and ill try and help

GE MONEY- Settled 5/06/07

Capital One - Won 15/06/07

**Treat everyone as you would expect to be treated yourself**

Hi, OK, when you open the spreadsheet it syas "file" in the top left corner. Click this and select "copy" You will then be prompted to give the spreadsheet a name "Cap1 1" perhaps. Once you click save you should be up and running. Stick at it and you'll get there but any more problems, just ask;)

Capital 1 - WON with CI

LTSB - WON

To work out your APR, on your monthly statement you should have below, the transaction box, your current Purchase interest and cash advance interest. It will be some thing like:

Purchase Interest 1.897%

Cash Interest 1.976%

Add these 2 figures together and divide by 2 to get an average, then type it into this calculator found here:

http://www.zen122856.zen.co.uk/CompoundSheet_v1.9.xls

Do not use the spreadsheet on here, as it's for bank charges only. The calculator is very accurate. If you don't have your APR or % figures, call them asking what it currently is.

When you have your APR, type this into your spreadsheet on each charge. It is not uncommen for people to have an APR of 34%...

Hope this helps

Ukaviator

• Haha 1

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Hi Shar, just to point out on your first post - you said you would go to magistrates court.....no.....this is a civil matter, not a criminal one.....you should take your claim to the County Court.

Best wishes with your claim.

Cash-Back

Hi Shar - I've only just started my CC claims - sent SAR requests on Monday. Chatted to FendyWeather on here - she was very helpful. emailed me 2 spreadsheets for compound interest....try and find her on here.if you can't send me your email address to [email protected] and I'll forward them to you. Cash

Hi, This is what I sent after sending prelim and LBA. It's not a template by any means but feel free to use it if you want to.

Account Number XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX

I am writing to inform you a change to my request for repayment of penalty charges levied on the above account.

After further research I have reached the conclusion that the amount you have taken from me should be repaid with contractual interest.

Therefore I require that you repay £297.00 in charges plus £591.34 in interest charged at 17.85% Total £888.34. I have attached an updated schedule of the charges to this letter.

I would like to stress that it is in both our interests, and indeed, our responsibility to attempt to avoid court action in this matter. It is with this in mind that I request you supply me with a copy of your actual costs in relation to the penalty charges levied on my account. I will be more than happy to accept the difference between those costs and the amount stated above.

If you do not respond to my letter before 6th June I will assume that you will continue to ignore my requests for payment as you have in the past. In these circumstances I feel I will have no other option but to file a claim in county court on 6th June for the full amount

Capital 1 - WON with CI

LTSB - WON