• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

druids36 v woolwich/barclays

Druids36
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5834 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all,

Had letter on saturday from the court confirming dates.

Woolwich well barclays anyway have been deemed served on the 22nd june so that gives them till the 6th july so start counting.

whenever i think of it i get butterflys but trying to be calm and think happy thoughts! Can't help but think what if ........ no stop it it's going to be ok and we WILL win. it just seem such a long way off.

i bet a lot of you got nervous and look at you all now in winners row with nice blinking WINNER in the title. Please tell it's true...........!:-D

One little question : as we issued in both our names will that mean a Q&A each and will that mean £100 each Q&A too?

cause we had better go out finding some money

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"The nice chap at the court did say that the banks are getting tough on the cases now and are defending more, they are fed up of paying out!!!!"

Well, I wouldn't panic too much about this comment from the court clerk - I'm sure if the banks start turning up/halting pre-court settlements, it will be announced/discussed here on CAG. The banks would turn up with a team of legal eagles and this in itself would cost far more than many of the claims. Even if they won a case, they wouldn't be able to claim costs against the claimant as it's Small Claims Court.

It simply wouldn't make economic sense for them to turn up for a full hearing unless they believed that doing so 'en masse' would hit the headlines and thus deter a huge amount of customers from even thinking about making future claims.

IMO, unless some body like the Financial Ombudsman announces that the banks were justified in charge levels, the banks don't have a leg to stand on ... and they know it.

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) - Awaiting court date

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) Pre-6 yrs- LBA sent.

3 Wins :

Barclays t/a The Woolwich (Data Protection Act breach costs & compliance)

HSBC (on behalf of brother)

Settled Out of Court - £3,874.76

Alliance & Leicester (on behalf of friend)

Settled Out of Court - £723.41

i know it's silly to get all worked up about but i suppose we all worry we'll be the one they take all the way. The stand against the masses i mean at some point some one said "hey when we cut their heads off lets stick it on a pole to stop the rest" .

We all worry little old me with no legal sense will be the one. Hope i'm making some sense!!!!!

Forgot to mention -we have a seperate complaint ongoing with the woolwich on another subject abit long winded but overview it's about how they handled the change over to barclays, members of the customer service staff and a little to do with charges and attitudes! Any way in their lastest letter amongst all the condesending rubbish was this little paragraph:

" Your complaint will be resolved and the account with Barclays corrected once you have agreed to the offer made for the six year charges. I understand that you have rejected the offer made."

We don't know about you lot but we find that a little off :rolleyes: .

as far as we are concerned the two complaints are seperate issues and should be treated a such and feel it's a bit threatening or are we getting paranoid!:eek:

Hi Druids

If your other complaint has nothing to do with requesting a refund for charges then it has no relevance or impact. Treat the two issues as separate. I think it'll be important for you to resist mixing content of any letter you send however do not talk about the charges in your "change offer" complaint matter and vice versa.

If I understand you correctly, Barclay's is stating that they'll only address complaint (a) on condition that you agree to retract your right to a full refund of the charges they imposed (b)

If this is the case, they are most definitely in breach of the Baking Code and you are well within your rights to report this to the ICO which may kick Barclay's into some productive action rather than fannying about with threats and bullish correspondence.

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

3 Wins :

Hi Druids, looks like we are more or less at the same point as each other. I have started court action against Woolwich/Barclays and mine was deemed served on 26/6/07. Must admit I have never had any offer from them. Can I aske anyone where it says that Barclays are settling + the 8%

100%WHU

100%

Once you file a claim interest that every claimant is entitiled to (where there is a debt involved) is set at 8% Per Annum under s69 County Courts act 1984 and calculated on a daily basis.

If you want to claim interest you must say so on the claim form.

Barclays/Woolwich are settling before it goes to court however because it has already entered the court system (ie issued), the 8% is unavoidable regardless of whether they settle or opt to lose in court.

All banks know this which is why they understand that the 8% becomes a legitimate part of the claim once it has been issued.

3 Active Claims:

3 Wins :

Barclays Litigation Team on the whole, don't seem interested in talking settlement until there's an actual date for a court hearing. If you read the experiences of others http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/94602-barclays-litigation-team-good.html

you'll see that whilst it used to be just claims with less than three weeks to go til court date, recently, Barclays have been speaking to claimants who simply have a court date, even 2 months away.

You're still a long way from this 100% but yes, the 8% interest keeps adding every day. If you used the spreadsheets from this site, each time you open them up, they automatically refresh to show updated interest.

3 Active Claims:

3 Wins :

• 3 weeks later...

hi druids,

we have now recieved an offer of £9000, but refused and put in an amount we would settle at,£14000 as this is the total charges without interest, and we are now waiting to hear. I hope they will comply otherwise we will have to go down the same route as you with the courts. I'll let you know if we hear anything again.

Good luck with yours, I'm still reading!

Hi druids

You haven't update your thread for a while - any news on a court date? :)

3 Active Claims:

3 Wins :

Helloooooo everyone,

Sorry between poorly kids and myself not too great i've let things slide here. SORRY !!!

Well they Acnoligded on the last day that gave them till last friday.

They then entered there defence with minutes to spair over the internet ( didn't know they could!).

So just today we received our Q and A but with todays announcement i guess it's pointless.

Where do we go from here?? Feeling a little dispondant we REALLY need the money sooner rather than later as things are a little (understatement!) tight and i cann't find a job that fits round hubby's work and kids that won't cost me all i earn in child care fees.

Sorry to moan, a little stressed And the KIDS are on school hols so i know some of you know whats that is like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

Hi Druids

Please don't fall into the trap of believing that today's progress in anyway threatens your claim. It does not.

I highly recommend you use the Draft order for directions &

Reason's why they should be ordered and submit them with your AQ.

Many, many claimants will be withdrawing and huge numbers of people who were considering action will now be put off. Please don't become another individual who has misintepreted what the OFT Test Case represents.

3 Active Claims:

3 Wins :

HELP, please i'm having a bad day.......since i had my bump to the head some days things just don't make sense and typically it's now and when i look at the A Q and it's just jargon to me!!!

can someone please walk me through it or at least point me in the right direction.

Really apreicate any help

3 Active Claims:

3 Wins :

Hi everyone.

Just a quick question with regards to the AQ I am currently completing.

In section D it asks for the amount of the claim in dispute. Do we enter the figure we sent the original claim for, or adjust the figure to include interest up to todays date ?

Hi Druids

Use the original figure; your claim POC already makes provision for the accruing Statutory Interest.

3 Active Claims:

3 Wins :

hello anyone out there??

urgent questions regarding N150 AQ.

1) in d section witnesses- do we put both of one of us in there and what do we put for " witness to which facts"?

2) in H section it asks " Do you intend to make any applications in the immediate future"? yes or no ?

WHAT????? do we??

Help please druids:D

• 2 weeks later...

Well we completed our AQ and returned it by the given date of 10/08/07.:)

But Barclays did not, it seems that banks make the rules as they go along. It turns out, it now gets passed to the district judge who will write to Barclays in a weeks time giving them another 7 days.:o

How unfair is that. I know if we failed to meet the dead line that would be game over. Oh well at least its not on hold and our court is still pushing forward. Only another 2/3 weeks and will will hopefully have an answer. Will keep you all posted to what happens.

Hi Druids

Sorry, been away on hols.

I know it seems that the banks are dictating the court timetables and in any other circumstances, I feel sure the judges would be sticking to the rules but this issue seems to have them running scared.

I would prepare a http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n225_0406.pdf anyway and hand it into the court by hand on Tuesday - it can't do any harm, doesn't cost anything and if there are any further abuses down the line, you also have a stick to beat the court with - the fact that you rightfully asked for Judgement and if they had awarded it in a timely fashion as they are obliged to, further fiasco and time wasting could have been avoided.

It also paves the way for a warranted Wasted Costs Order.

3 Active Claims:

3 Wins :

Hi, do we complete this form as if they had done nothing, because the only thing they have missed is the allocation questionair. Just want to make sure we get this right. I know its only 2/3 weeks until the district judge gets involved so don't want to get anything wrong at this point.

Please advise:confused:

Thanks

Hi Druids

If the court ordered directions that the Defendant should submit an AQ by an certain date, and they have failed to do this, then yes, you have good cause to request a Judgement.

Ring the court and make sure they haven't received the AQ. The judge may well say it isn't a 'serious enough' breach of process to warrant a Strike Out of Defence and often the court just decides to write a reminder to the bank giving them another week say - it is wrong if you are looking at playing by the rulebook, however the judge does have power to make 'allowances' based on what he/she feels is most reasonable and efficient in the fair handling of the case.

Many judges feel letting the bank ignore timetables constitutes fair handling - hmmm! :mad:

3 Active Claims:

3 Wins :

:-| Hmmm, Well the court are not even sure now if the AQ has been returned as they made an "admin error" when keying the return of our form and Barclays some how have until 3rd Sept. Then the court will write to them giving another 7 days. If not returned then, their defence will be struck out.

:-x Why put dead lines on the return of forms if they are going to give the banks longer. If it were us we would have lost by now. Our justice system sucks. The little guy always draws the short straw.

Lets hope things move in the right direction, I suppose its only 10 days then the judge decides what happens anyaway. Just so frustrating

Hi Druids

Very frustrating. Quite honestly, I would ring the court today to see if anything has come in. If not, prepare your Request for Judgement and deliver it down to the court with a copy of the Directions giving the original deadline. They had 10/08/07 which the court then extended.

I would put in a covering letter pointing out that three weeks additional grace was ample time and that given the absence of any submission by the Defendant during that period, you believe the court is now in a clear position to proceed with the Default Judgement, and that further delay would be prejudicial to the defending party and demonstrate complacency on the part of the court to addressing evidential abuse of process.

3 Active Claims:

3 Wins :