• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

MadMaxCTR V Lloyds TSB (got partial offer) ** WON **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6083 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site so thought I'd let u know how my claims going with Lloyd's.

I originally got the standard response from Lloyd's telling me that they don't agree that the charges are unlawful, which i understand they send to everyone at the first point of call.

Anyway I pressed on and threatened further action and the other day i got a further letter saying they will pay £750.00 in full and final settlement. My claims worth just over £2K.

This money has been paid into my account already before i even received the letter.

Obviously i don't want to accept £750 in full and final settlement. I'm working on a further letter to say I'll accept it on an INTERIM basis only and push for the remaining amount.

Any tips on what to say or should i just threaten litigation if the remaining amount isn't paid?

Ta

MadMaxCTR

Settled:

Lloyds TSB - SETTLED IN FULL £2094

MBNA/Abbey Credit Card - SETTLED IN FULL - £460

Sainsbury's Bank Credit Card - SETTLED IN FULL - £50

Ongoing:

3 credit cards,

EGG - £220 - With FOS

MINT - £20 - With FOS

Captial One - £340 - With FOS

There is a letter on this site that you can use. Will try and find the link for you.

broke dave v LTSB WON £3840 2 weeks before court.

Mrs broke dave v Barclays accepted offer £355.

broke dave v LTSB (Business) Prelim stage.

broke dave v LTSB (2nd Claim) LBA stage.

Cheers broke dave.

I've found the LBA letter.

Should i just modify it to say the partial offer is unacceptable????

Settled:

Ongoing:

3 credit cards,

EGG - £220 - With FOS

MINT - £20 - With FOS

This is the link you need:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/25716-rejecting-offers.html

There are a number of options on there; read them carefully.

broke dave v LTSB WON £3840 2 weeks before court.

Mrs broke dave v Barclays accepted offer £355.

broke dave v LTSB (Business) Prelim stage.

broke dave v LTSB (2nd Claim) LBA stage.

• 1 month later...

Partial offer rejection letter was sent sometime ago...... and you guessed it I haven't heard anything.

I've actually just made a complaint to the FOS about Lloyds TSB so hopefully I’ll get full settlement (without interest) without the need for litigation.

We'll see........

Settled:

Ongoing:

3 credit cards,

EGG - £220 - With FOS

MINT - £20 - With FOS

Got a response from Lloyds in response to the rejection of the partial offer.

Its about 2 lines long and just states that they are NOT going to increase their offer and the £750 GOGW is the maximum they will pay without further action (FOS complaint/litigation).

Oh well.

Settled:

Ongoing:

3 credit cards,

EGG - £220 - With FOS

MINT - £20 - With FOS

Okay,

I’m about to start my MCOL claim and will finish it this weekend.

I’ve read through ‘Getting MCOL right’ and I understand the process I think.

Anyway question is that I received a GOGW from Lloyds for £750.00. I guess I need to show this deduction in the particulars of claim, right? Should I just do for example?

Total claim £1750, Less gesture of good will of £750, remaining balance £1000. Would that be okay?

Also after I finish the claim on MCOL I send a full copy of my charges info and schedule/breakdown to the Northampton court. Do I send it to [problem] at the same time or wait for their acknowledgement/defence?

Finally would you send a copy of your T&C at this stage, as I think I’ve still got them from when the account was open?

Sorry for the daft questions, I just don’t want to mess up my claim.

MadMaxCTR:cool:

Settled:

Ongoing:

3 credit cards,

EGG - £220 - With FOS

MINT - £20 - With FOS

Have you actually received the £750 from them or is it an offer? I'd carry on with the full amount if you haven't received anything or send them a letter saying you'd accept the amount in part settlement of the full amount.

I generally send the schedule of charges to northampton,yes. But not send anything to their solicitors until they request it (and they'll probably request the schedule of charges as they 'wouldn't have received' anything. Yeah, right)

I haven't sent any copies of any T&Cs in any of the claims i've set up, but things might have changed on that front.

Loonpants -

The partial GOGW offer was paid into my bank before i even received the letter offering it.

I immediately responded accepting on an INTERIM only so yes its been taken.

So guess i'll need to show that in the POC as otherwise **** will no doubt raise it in their defence.

Settled:

Ongoing:

3 credit cards,

EGG - £220 - With FOS

MINT - £20 - With FOS

Another dumb question,

Do i send copy correspondence in the initial pack that i send to Northampton county court or is that just for the actual court bundle, if it gets that far?

Settled:

Ongoing:

3 credit cards,

EGG - £220 - With FOS

MINT - £20 - With FOS

Loonpants - 20 claims lol,

You've been busy....

Settled:

Ongoing:

3 credit cards,

EGG - £220 - With FOS

MINT - £20 - With FOS

Copy corresponce as in schedule of charges etc? Are you not doing the claim online? I'm not sure whether you can include them in the written application or not. I just send them after i've done the claim online including my claim reference.

Sorry

I've had my 2nd letter from the FOS yesterday.

"...The bank have told (us) that - in it's view - the charges it has made to their account were levied fairly in accordance with its tariff. It does not appear to have made an offer that fully meets what you have asked for. I have therefore written to the bank to invite it to:

• make an offer which meets (your) claim in full; or
  • provide me with the information I believe I shall need to reach a conclusion on the merits of (your) claim.

"As you may know, in almost all the charges complaints we have considered, banks have made offers to meet the claim ... I will let you know as soon as Lloyds TSB Bank Plc tells me whether it is prepared to settle (your) claim ..."

Made the complaint to them only about 2 weeks ago so seems to be moving quickly.

The amount i'm claiming for/advised the FOS includes 8% interest so we'll see what happens.

MadMaxCTR:cool:

Settled:

Ongoing:

3 credit cards,

EGG - £220 - With FOS

MINT - £20 - With FOS

Did you take the money they gave yo out of your acct just in case? Also, I'm confused

You filed MCOL and went to the FOS at the same time? I didn't know you were allowed to do this. Do you think this would speed up a claim?

T

SAR sent 07/03/07

Statements rec'd 14/04/07 (ish)

Prelim Sent 03/07/07

Prelim rejection rec'd 10/07/07

LBA sent 12/07/07

FOS rules are that they cannot investigate a claim if you are taking court action. Did you tell them?

The only thing I'm not sure of is at what point they consider Court Action to have started. I suspect that it's at MCOL.

Muggy

LTSB £9,356 settled in full through the FOS

SIGN the petition to make banks deal with charges

COMPLAIN to your MP about the FSA waiver and the ANTI-CONSUMER way in which the OFT

Test Case is being handled.

No i haven't issued proceedings via MCOL, i was planning to do it possibly this weekend. But i'll hold fire now as i probably won't have to.

Yeah i know you can't do both at the same time and the FOS won't help if you've issued and failed.

I made the complaint to the FOS after i had the £750 GOGW as Lloyds said they won't improve on the offer unless i go through the courts or FOS.

We haven't got anything to lose with the FOS as you can still file a claim if the FOS aren't able to help.

No, the £750 is still in the bank, well some of it. That was a few weeks ago now so there's no chance they'll want it back.

Settled:

Ongoing:

3 credit cards,

EGG - £220 - With FOS

MINT - £20 - With FOS

Madmax,

I was in almost exactly the same situation as you, went down the Ombudsman route and won, as most do. My experiences are in the thread Muggyno1 v Lloyds TSB.

Cheers.

Muggy

LTSB £9,356 settled in full through the FOS

SIGN the petition to make banks deal with charges

COMPLAIN to your MP about the FSA waiver and the ANTI-CONSUMER way in which the OFT

Test Case is being handled.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up for me.

I'm thinking I may go down the FOS route if they offer the same to me.

I posted my LBA yesterday so they've got two weeks!

SAR sent 07/03/07

Prelim Sent 03/07/07

LBA sent 12/07/07

Muggyno1 - thats reassuring to know you got your claim settled in full with interest through the FOS, espcially as it was in the £9K region :o.

Titch - you should get the normal GOGW will offer from Lloyds. Take it as an interim them comaplin to the FOS (as you've got nothing to lose) and then if need be, go through the courts, buit you shouldn't need to.

Settled:

Ongoing:

3 credit cards,

EGG - £220 - With FOS

MINT - £20 - With FOS

Thanks mad max, it sounds like the best way forward to me.

If you wanna see how I get on my thread is called Worth a shot.

:)

SAR sent 07/03/07

Prelim Sent 03/07/07

LBA sent 12/07/07

• 2 weeks later...

How lucky am i.

Heard about the OFT test case and that the FOS had stopped all there complaints on bank charges.

Anyway just called the FOS to talk it through and amazingly Lloyds have offered to pay my claim in full and this was sent to me on the 25/07/07. The FOS state the offer will still stand despite the test case so looks like i've just received my offer just in time as otherwise i would have had the case frozen until the test case was finished which will be months.

One happy MadMax ;-)

Settled:

Ongoing:

3 credit cards,

EGG - £220 - With FOS

MINT - £20 - With FOS

Finally received my offer letter from the FOS.

Dated the 25/07/07. Lloyds have offered me £1344 in addition to the £750 GOGW that I’ve already received. This is for my full claim and interest.

Have sent the acceptance form off first thing today.

MODs please change title to WON and move me into the Lloyds TSB success forum.

Donation will be made. Thanks for everyone's help.

N.B

Looks like I got my offer 1 day before the test case announcement where they froze all the other claims.

MadMaxCTR

Settled:

Ongoing:

3 credit cards,

EGG - £220 - With FOS

MINT - £20 - With FOS