money laundering on credit report please help

hayley

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3520 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

My husband had an account and a loan with Natwest a few years ago he got into difficulty paying it but when we remortgaged we paid it off and the account was closed. I also have an account with Natwest and when we got married last year we went into Natwest to see if his name could be put on my account so we could use it as a joint account the man in the bank starting asking questions about my husbands previous history with Natwest, we explained what had happened and that the loan was now paid off but he said he needed to see proof that the loan and overdraft was paid off before he could do anything.

Then, my husband was having difficulty obtaining credit so we applied for his credit file and on the day we went into Natwest it is showing on his credit file as money laundering, we have telephoned Natwest and they have asked us to send it in writing with a copy of his credit file but is there anything i can do about this as surely this is defimation of character.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Hayley

Money Laundering is abusing the financial system to conceal the proceeds of crime and, ultimately, to give those proceeds the appearance of being legitimate. This is, by it's very nature,a very serious offence which could result in a prison sentence and/or a substantial fine. You obviously need to get to the bottom of this and start making enquiries as to why this mark is on your credit file.

What was the date of the alleged Money Laundering offence? Was it placed by Nat West? Your husband, if he was party to this, should by all accounts, be in jail!! Remortgaging would not be the most obvious route for money laundering as lenders go to some lengths in terms of identifying applicants for credit.

If it was Nat West or anyone else, they have a designated Money Laundering reporting officer. You need to find out who this is and why it was reported as this could be a big mistake on the lenders part as there could be a perfectly innocent explanation arising out of your changing circumstances. Could also be defamation of character?

Hi

Yes this was put on by Natwest and it was registered on the credit file on August 29th 2006 which was the date we went into the bank to see if his name could be put on my account.

Hayley

It's also worth writing a letter ( keep a copy & send special or recorded delivery ) to the data controller at their head office address outlining your complaint / concerns - that way there is firm evidence if you need to take this up further. If you have problems getting this false information removed you could take it up with the Information Commissioner:

The Information Commissioner is the independent supervisory authority who administers and enforces the Data Protection Act. The Information Commissioner's Office can provide advice and guidance on the Act, and will take enforcement action in appropriate cases. The contact details are:-

Information Commissioner's Office

Wycliffe House

Water Lane

Wilmslow

Cheshire

SK9 5AF

Tel: 01625 545745

Fax: 01625 524510

E-mail: [email protected]

• 4 years later...

These checks are undertaken on absolutely everyone. A money laundering check does not mean you are suspected of anything illegal. The money laundering checks made at credit reference agencies leave an ‘enquiry footprint’ – an indelible record so that you can see who has checked you out. The enquiry footprint does not have any impact on your credit score or on your ability to get credit.