claiming excess charges from an account i have since closed?

PDU101
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6185 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I used to have a Natwest account which after a large debacle about charges, i closed around 3 years ago.

I still have the sort code however no account number. my questions are thus:

i predict that the total of charges in the last 6 years from there will be over £1000 simply through over agreed overdraft limit. basically i went 9p over my overdraft and they charged me constinuously £20 over and over again until i was around £300 in debt.

as i was in the navy and at sea, i did not recieve any letter or phone calls informing me of this, and they would not talk to anyone else as i was the only resgitered account holder.

when i came back i had to pay it all off and because of their messup i closed the account.

what is my standing on claiming statements from that account?

can i reclaim charges from a closed account?

I used to have a NatWest account which after a large debacle about charges, i closed around 3 years ago.

I still have the sort code however no account number. my questions are thus: see natties stickie above

i predict that the total of charges in the last 6 years from there will be over £1000 simply through over agreed overdraft limit. basically i went 9p over my overdraft and they charged me constinuously £20 over and over again until i was around £300 in debt.

as i was in the navy and at sea, i did not recieve any letter or phone calls informing me of this, and they would not talk to anyone else as i was the only resgitered account holder.

when i came back i had to pay it all off and because of their messup i closed the account.

what is my standing on claiming statements from that account?you can claim

can i reclaim charges from a closed account?

YES you can

Good luck

Scott

• 1 month later...

I am in a similar position £3k estimated with **atwest bank, I've written thr request letter for info, as I too have sort code but no acc. no. got a lovely letter this morning saying, fluff fluff and NO! we hols info using numeric codes for account ID, please write back when you know your account number. Does anyone have a sample letter for this response?

Give them the codes that they'll need to access the old account number - see here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-bank/28533-how-find-account-number.html (this was written by a current nat west employee - so information is accurate).

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

Claire

Don't bother withteh branch. write to Glasgow for your statments and to Borehamwood with your prelim letter and LBA

Address here

Steven

If this post is helpful, please click the scales

Thanks, I have written to the Edinburgh address asking for S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) info. the reply was, " sorry we need your account no AND sort code" I have successfully claimed £4k from halifax, but that was an open account, this is proving to be harder as i feel they are holding me back at the first fence! When I send my next letter, later today, would you advise sending it to Edinburgh again, saying " you now have 20 days left to find the info" or to Borehamwood ( trouble is I don't know the account no yet...) saying Hi, you need to find my account details......thanks for all the help out there!

the reply was, " sorry we need your account no AND sort code"

THat's rubbish. They di need to be able to identify you (obviously) but they can do that from your name and address(es) - the account details are part of the data they hold on you and it is part of their duty to supply it to you

would you advise sending it to Edinburgh again, saying " you now have 20 days left to find the info" or to Borehamwood

Send it to Edinburgh (not Glasgow as in my previous post, Doh!) Yes, say that.

Steven

If this post is helpful, please click the scales

• 2 weeks later...

Just got reply letter, " thankyou for requesting copy statements.....unable to process request....refer to instructions below...the fee for this service is £5...( a £10 cheque was posted 31 days ago....) •from the information provided we are unable to tract the accounts requested, natwest uses only numeric codes for id of accounts...please supply us with a valid 6 digit sort code ( done ) and acc. no. Please let us know your branch name ( done ) and any dates your accounts were opened or closed ( done ) " we are now 9 days off 40 day period.....Hmmm