Robinson Way & Co - Manchester

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4240 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone

I would like to know if anyone else has had dealings with "Robinson Way & Co" 24 Mount Street, Manchester, M2 3LS

The reason I ask, is that this is the 2nd time I have had to act, This time not my debt.

The 2nd time, I sent a payment via Standing Order on the 4th April 2006, Received a letter intending "Legal Proceedings" on the 25th May 2006. (Dated 19th MAy 2006)

Now my partner phoned them up, God do not get on the that side of him, made me stand back, almost run outta the door.

He was told that they have just received the payment a day or so prior to his telephone conversation, He asked for a written apology that this would not happen again.

A Letter came a few days ago, stating that the debt is paid in full, one thing which was never received in the 1st case.

My partner did threaten Court action if a letter of apology was not received within 7days

The person who I am acting on behalf off, lost a days work, until he was able to get this sorted, around £130 lost in earning which could of been earn't

Is it possible to claim in an instance like this

Ps. I did a search on "Robinson Way & Co" and have a look at what I found

http://www.touchmanchester.co.uk/business/list/bid/2876954

http://www.clik2complaints.co.uk/DPs/sky.html

http://www.mymanchesterjobs.co.uk/agencydetails.php?bid=209&id=114

Not very nice reading at all, about time someone acted, Just maybe I will instigate proceedings for the third party.

Regards

Sophie

Thank you

Please Note

Advice & opinions of Sophie-Jane are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts

Guest Lueeze

Hi,

You mention that the person you act on behalf of Lost a days work, can he prove this? He would have to if you went to court. Also why did he miss this work, your post doesnt make it clear. I hope its all sorted now, but I have not heard of the company.

Good Luck

Lou x

Dear Sophie-Jane,

I have dealings with Robinson Way.

They have bought my debt from, or are acting as agents for, Capital One when I could no longer make their required repayments. (See my thread in the Capital One forum for more details).

I have had one problem with them. They send me a statement each month with a paying in slip attached, which I use to pay cash over the bank counter. They wrote to me accusing me of missing a month's payment. Fortunately I do keep the paying in slip counterfoil and phoned them with the date I had paid it.

They almost accused me of lying and I had to send a copy as proof. Needless to say I make doubly sure I keep the counterfoils now!

Regards

David

I have also experienced the dealings of Robinson Way. A complete shambles if you ask me, not very nice to deal with at all. They rejected a payment offer and said see you in court before slamming the phone down.

Three days later I received acceptance of my offer....

Two months after that, it was sent to another agency.

This Country!

Completed:

Woolwich: Received £30

Intelligent Finance: Received £1100 after two years and approximately 20 letters, 6 pieces of hair and an eyeball.

Barclaycard: Received £90

HFC: Received £170

Actually, the more they pass it around the better your chances of doing a full and final deal if you can manage it. It just means the debt is getting old and the chances of collection are getting slimmer. Some DCA's can be quite nasty the older it gets because others have obviously got the run around before. Remember, if they have 'purchased' the debt from the original card supplier they pay between 7-12% of the debt value for the debt. You can make an offer to pay it off at a very reduced rate. You should be written to informing you that the debt has been purchased, but it might be worth calling them ask the question. Just make sure you leave an element of profit for them before giving them your story of inability to pay etc and that a friend is helping you clear debt blah blah.. or you can make an arrangement , even £1 per week/month for a period to clear it. As you have come to this site you probably have unlawful charges to recover, if that's the case then write to the collection agency stating that the debt is in dispute over chages, that way you will not be sued. Keep paying an arranged amount each month whilst following the forum FAQ's and steps to reclaim your charges from the original card holder. Search Debt collection agencies on the search button for more info.. good luck.

Edit Jan 07: Since posting this in June 06 I have learned a considerable amount more on dealing with the Robinson Way and Cabot and many other type of Debt Collection Agencies. A simple CCA request will solve most of your problems along with letters stopping them making phone calls under the Wireless & Telegraphy Act and Communications Act. Nobody has to put up with these companies non compliance anymore. For once in our lives the consumer now has the moral high ground, the law and the tools (thank you CAG) to put them where they belong. One day our actions putting them in their place might ( big might) make these companies act a little more professionally and within the law - we are getting there already but there's still a long way to go. Just like America - the cowboys have gone. Search the Cabot threads too, there's a lot going on there too and they are no different.

• 3 months later...

I came across this board whilst researching Robinson Way & Co because I am in the middle of a run in with them - totally unfounded I might add.

Essentially my case is about a phone company (my carrier pre-select line) which was taken over by Carphone Warehouse (Talk Talk Onetel) who promptly cocked-up my account in the changeover, even though I had a direct-debit set up with the previous company to pay any billing.

I left Talk Talk immediately, however they then engaged Robinson Way to recover the "unpaid debt" - a grand total of £26 comprised mainly of trumped up "late-payment and administration fees" which they had levied. The true outstanding charges were under £5.

There was no late payment.Under the contract I'd set up direct debit which they failed to collect. I had tried numerous times to sort it out by phone but all I could get was Carphone Warehouse's bloody call centre in India, who couldn't understand what I was talking about, and were totally useless because it didn't fit their working script :evil:

Anyway, Robinson Way & Co waded in, heavy handed and very intimidatory. Picked on the wrong person there guys. I wiped the floor with them, particularly as I could produce every single supporting document from the very start, something the other side couldn't do.

So the purpose of my post here is to tell you that I'm taking a complaint about Robinson Way's conduct to the Office of Fair Trading (OFT). They are the regulators of the debt collection business and, if enough complaints were raised could even consider reviewing their licence to operate (hint ;) )

For anyone interested, its a very simple complaint form to download. You don't have to agree to your details being disclosed - although personally, I don't give a damn.

First you can get the OFT Debt Collection Guidance notes here

then go here to download the OFT complaint form, which can be posted or e-mailed.

I always intended paying the bill, well the true £fiver I owed them, if only I could have got it sorted out. But now the tables are turned and I am pursueing Talk Talk for compensation for their "vexatious and intimidatory tactics causing stress and worry to me and my family"

Hey, ya just gotta take these guys by the scruff of the neck and show 'em who's the boss.

Happy complaining :D

Edit:

Just thought I'd add - If you ever need to contact this wretched company, don't use their money-grabbing 0870 number. Since most people have a "free" call allocation to UK landlines, better to call them on 0161 839 7376. Its cheaper even if you don't have a free call allocation.

However, a further tip: Remember phone calls are not on record so they can deny all knowledge of them. Its always better to write, keeping a copy, then it's recorded on file. Send using recorded delivery too.

Sorry, if I appear to be teaching grandmother to suck eggs (a rather curious expression methinks)

• 3 months later...

I have also just come across this post by googeling the above company. I have received a letter from Robinson Way threatening Court Action. I have also received many phone calls from them of which I do not answer. In my case, it is the HALIFAX BANK who are using them to try to recover monies accrued on my account in unlawful bank charges! I am just about to file my MCOL with the Court service against the Halifax :)

Halifax - Data Protection Act letter sent - statements received

Pre Lim letter sent with Spreadsheet of charges 15/07/06

Partial offer received 09/07/06

Response to settlement sent 04/09/06

Letter Before Action sent 04/09/06

Mcol filed 11/12/06

Defence received 19/12/06

SETTLED IN FULL 22/12/06

I have had dealings with "Robinson, Way and Company":

They have threatened all kinds of action against my wife for a sum paid on time and in full: Their client {a well known catalogue} had accidentally directed the payment into the wrong part of one of their accounts.

Due to becoming disabled I had an outstanding loan which-oh so conveniently- my banks {Lloyds} cover didn't...well, cover.

I have spent over ten years regularly paying back the sum exactly as agreed. Suddenly, in spite of all possible evidence to the contrary, they have decided that I have not paid a few pounds that I in fact have paid.

Fortunately all payments were through my bank and it is easy to demonstarte their mistake. BUT, that does not stop them sending threatening letter after threatening letter. They have completely conceeded their error, but still the letters come.

In my opinion "Robinson, Way and morons Ltd" are at best incompetent, at worst bully-boy **** who use the law to crush underfoot their victims without remorse or contrition. I used to be a Probation Officer, dealing with offenders all day every day, only rarely have I encountered such total moronic, heartless filth.

I like Robinson way because they make me laugh .

They purchased the account from another company that had gone bust and lost all the paperwork so they can't supply any proof or record of the account still they try to intimidate and threaten ignoring the administration of justice act the human rights the CCA 1974 and basic common sence .

At one time they were ringing me three times a day.

Once they told me the bailifs were on there way round when i asked when the case was held and who issued the warrant they hung up.

Once they told me I had to pay £1500 immediately or else! I asked them to hold the line for a second and when I returned I told them i had looked down the back of the sofa and in the bottom of the kitchin draws but I could only come up with 37pence and an old swimming meddle apparently that would not do and again they hung up.

They promised to send somone round, I got tea and scones and everything but they never turned up.

I am dissabled and quite look forward to their innane calls but they seem to have petered out shame.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

• 4 weeks later...

lol peterbard that was a funny post :)

Completed:

Woolwich: Received £30

Intelligent Finance: Received £1100 after two years and approximately 20 letters, 6 pieces of hair and an eyeball.

Barclaycard: Received £90

HFC: Received £170

Hi,

This is my first post so will be quick..lol

Robinson Way....what a bunch of Dead Beats dont know their Arse from Their Elbow..

1st time Ebay/Paypal Account..I dont use Ebay

(6 phones calls from them in 1 day)

2nd time As above

(20 or more calls over 2 week period)

3rd time Powergen im not with powergen and never have been

(cant remember but it was a lot,which i didnt answer)

4th time Ebay Again this time my son who is 12 owes money..

I contacted OFT and sent copies of letters which RW had sent,they said they would look into conduct of them.

Sent letter of complaint from OFT

Part of London Scottish Bank, who buy in debts, bunch of amateurs !!!!!!!!

:D:D:D

Law Pack & Small Claims Procedures Ordered Via site :) received 26/10/2006 I thank you :)

Claiming contractual @ £1.40per day ;) take your time Mr West

Can't wait to donate my 5%............. :)

• 2 weeks later...

peterbard, your comments above had me in stitches -- I must look down the back of my sofa to see what I can find ;)

jaxads

Halifax - £2281, successfully refunded all charges after LBA letter & telephone call.

Have been offered the difference between the £20 and £12 charges from Capital One -- am sending LBA for remainder.

GE Money - Received settlement of £441, being total charges requested. No interest though.

CCA'd Bank of Scotland / Blair Oliver Scott to produce CCA Agreements on two Credit Cards - well in default, although still chasing payment!!!

EOS Solutions "ceased action on account" on behalf of a friend.

All in all, quite busy at the moment and enjoying every minute of it
:eek:

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,

I too stumbled on this forum post whilst doing a Google search on Robinson Way and Co Ltd. I followed some the instructions in previous posts here and came accross something interesting about Robinson Way & Co Ltd that I would like to share with you all.

I went to the OFT website and downloaded the "OFT Debt Collection Guidance notes", then started to read through them and noticed that under the "Unfair Business Practices" Section 2.2 "Examples of unfair practices" listing h. it states that they must not;

"asking or instructing debtors to make contact on premium rate

telephone numbers". Well at the top of all their letters in the header section they give only one phone number to contact them by. Well this is the only phone number on the letter and there by being the only means to contact them, which is making you call it. But the number starts with 0870 which is in fact a premium rate phone number.

See: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1086555604,78422,,

Now to my point!

This is actual proof that they are breaking the rules set out under their licence agreement with the OFT, meaning there are fair grounds for compliant and possible grounds for getting the cost of the calls back off them if you have phoned the number. Do you get my point ;)

If you want to complain about this you can fill in the OFT complaints form online here:

Debt collection compliance review - complaint form

Provided by analyst vbmenu_register("postmenu_229290", true); in his post above.

I know I am and I will be seeking legal advice about claiming back my costs for calling R, W & Co Ltd too.

Let me know your thoughts on this and if you have come across other rules that have been broken by R, W & Co Ltd.

N.B. Remember the more complaints sent in about this Nasty little company the more chances there are of stopping them from bullying hundreds of other poor souls in to making unfair payments as well as ourselves.

Happy Complaining :D

I used to work for Robinson Way/London Scotish Bank/Call4cash many moons ago.

It is very easy for them to wipe the debt off, seen the guys and gals do this!

They are targeted to the hilt to get their bonuses (the basic wage is not too bad) and they will try any intimidating trick to get you to pay. They have a high staff turnaround as well (christ what would expect from this bunch of idiots).

I would suggest that anytime they phone, either do what peterbard has done, or ask them to put it in writing. I used to work now and again in the letter room, and some of the responses we used to get were great (rude, but a good read).

When you get a letter from them (when you see the envolope, you can tell its from Robinson Way, cos of the yellow mark on the envolope),put on it (the envolope) return to sender, does not live here anymore. That should stop letters, as it would be marked on the account as 'Gone Away'.

Hope this helps in some way.

P.S, if anyone is looking at paying them a visit, get the Metrolink to St Peters Square, the office (you can't miss it) is oposite the G Mex centre!

Hi folks,

I too stumbled on this forum post whilst doing a Google search on Robinson Way and Co Ltd. I followed some the instructions in previous posts here and came accross something interesting about Robinson Way & Co Ltd that I would like to share with you all.

I went to the OFT website and downloaded the "OFT Debt Collection Guidance notes", then started to read through them and noticed that under the "Unfair Business Practices" Section 2.2 "Examples of unfair practices" listing h. it states that they must not;

"asking or instructing debtors to make contact on premium rate

telephone numbers". Well at the top of all their letters in the header section they give only one phone number to contact them by. Well this is the only phone number on the letter and there by being the only means to contact them, which is making you call it. But the number starts with 0870 which is in fact a premium rate phone number.

See: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1086555604,78422,,

Now to my point!

This is actual proof that they are breaking the rules set out under their licence agreement with the OFT, meaning there are fair grounds for compliant and possible grounds for getting the cost of the calls back off them if you have phoned the number. Do you get my point ;)

If you want to complain about this you can fill in the OFT complaints form online here:

Debt collection compliance review - complaint form

Provided by analyst vbmenu_register("postmenu_229290", true); in his post above.

I know I am and I will be seeking legal advice about claiming back my costs for calling R, W & Co Ltd too.

Let me know your thoughts on this and if you have come across other rules that have been broken by R, W & Co Ltd.

N.B. Remember the more complaints sent in about this Nasty little company the more chances there are of stopping them from bullying hundreds of other poor souls in to making unfair payments as well as ourselves.

Happy Complaining :D

0870 is a national rate number not a premium rate number 09.....

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
0870 is a national rate number not a premium rate number 09.....

Its what is now familiarly known as the "National Premium Rate" which means they make you a sucker for ringing it as it racks up profit for them the longer they keep you on hold at inflated telephone rates.

But here is an extract from my post up above for those who missed it.

Just thought I'd add - If you ever need to contact this wretched company, don't use their money-grabbing 0870 number. Since most people have a "free" call allocation to UK landlines, better to call them on 0161 839 7376. Its cheaper even if you don't have a free call allocation.

Robinson way have not been in touch with me for quiet some time, but used to always be ringing me and sending letters reagrding an old T mobile account (opened june 2003), still shows on credit file as T mobile outstanding balance £74 default balance £194, i never got default notice but dont think mobile phone providers have to send them as they are not credit agreements. Hubby also had Robison Way ringing and sending letters for T Mobile (tmob account opened june 2003) Default Balance £480 Current balance £360. I arranged with robinson Way to pay £25 a month of each account, not heard from them since march last year when last payment slips arrived from them, If they dont send payment slips Im not paying, if they write to me or ring me again, I think I will try the not at this address thing. The t mob accounts were both terminated in 2004.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/99361-you-being-harassed-telephone.html?highlight=harassment+templatehttp://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/99361-you-being-harassed-telephone.html?highlight=harassment+template

Take a read through this and send the harassment letter. If they ignore this telephone Trading Standards, record as much info as you can regarding the times they call and the number of times. There are no doubt hundreds more cases but I've follwoed this one of Maggies and Trading Standards are monitoring what happens for her http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/32152-wescot-please-help.html

Good luck

• 1 month later...

I don't live in the UK, I am a resident of the USA. But a british citizen. My parents received a letter demanding almost 700GBP for a debt owed to ebay (which i have never sold an item through). I am going to call tomorrow about it as their office is closed. I see from searching the net others have had this issue, but my parents are having a giraffe about this. They don't have my name right, just my initials.

I have also contacted ebay who agree that I have never sold anything so its not even a case of account theft.

Has anyone got any advice for dealing with these people?

Thanks,

Tariq

They are a naff company at the best of times, Robinson Way. Write to them informing them that they have the wrong person, you have ebays assurance ( can you get that in writing?) that you have never sold anything and tell them do not write again unless it is to apologise and they have either a copy of an agreement or other evidence which supports fully their claim. Any further contact will be deemed as harassment and they will be reported accordingly.

Well I have just spoken to them, they have apologised and said that the debt has already been passed back to ebay because i am not a resident of the UK.

So now i need to get onto ebay about this.

Thanks for your reply,

Tariq