Meter nightmare

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6218 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI

I was wondering if anyone could help, im with british gas for my electic and gas, i used to be on a pre pay meter and used 10-15 pw , in 2005 i started paying by direct debit, at first my monthly instalments were 55pm, the then went up to 85pm, then to 100pm , then 150pm and then a whopping 200pm!

In all this time i never missed a single payment, so no arrears on account, according to them im using this amount of electric each week.

From last november i have been calling in and complaining, i have asked for meter to be checked and had appointments made, but no one turned up, i asked to go back to a pre-pay meter and no one turned up, i have suppied 7 day meter readings about six times, each time im told that the readings are unusually high, two weeks ago i paid them nearly 900 as i had stopped my dd in order to try and force someone to come out and check the meter.

Today i was told that my meter reading inticates that i owe them 200 and will have to pay this before meter is changed, i am at a loss and starting to feel a little desperate!

I know my family is larger then average and expect to pay more than most but even with seven of us this is a crazy amount

If anyone can advise i would be very grateful as i really dont know what else i can do

Sam

hi Charlie,

I dont have economy 7, i contacted energy watch in sept last year and got told to ring british gas complaints, but they have given me the run around ever since, i will call energy watch again today!

Energywatch seems the only option. Have you checked that the meter only covers your household, and not next door (or seeing the amounts, the whole street!) as well.

I just know someone who went through this only to find out their neighbours were connected to their meter, illegally!

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

hi, one way to find that one out is read your meter, switch off at your own fuse box everything in the house and then read it again an hour or two later, when you know the neighbours are around, not failsafe but might give you an idea. same with your gas, switch everything off and do the same.

Hi

Called energy watch and the ombudsman, have sent a letter of complaint to british gas to which they get ten days to respond at which point the ombudsman takes over.

I called british gas who did everything they could to persuade me that my meter was fine, im at the point now though where it would be worth losing £65 just to know if it is the meter, so insisted that i wanted it checked, suprise suprise instant appointment for next thursday.

everything in my house except my oven and computer is switched off and unplugged yet the meter is flashing once every second!

Thank you for all of your help, hopefuly should have an answer on thursday !

Can anyone recommend a new supplier as once this is sorted i want to change suppliers

i've been told that the utilities warehouse are good and i have only seen one complaint on here. i think. i'm not saying there arent more but they might be worth investigating, or anyone else without complaints. another mate of mine said edf? were ok with him.

energywatch are not the only option - if your complaint is after july last year and you have gone through their complete complaints procedure and the account is then "deadlocked" you can contact the ombudsman.

They have more teeth than energywatch, but you do have to go through the process first.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

Tampering with the supply is a criminal offence bill2high... if you get caught you can (and people frequently do) go to prison. Anyone who advised you on here how to do it could technically be done for aiding and abetting, so I doubt you'll find much help I'm afraid.

Also, it is extremely dangerous and could result in electrical fire, serious injury or death, never mind the fact that it is illegal.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

I'm seriously toying with the idea of buying a second meter and having it installed at my side of powergens digital, high tech, radio communication, with data tracker and usage snoop meter!! They aren't too much money and they are fully reconditioned by the manufacturer which is a company as far as i'm aware are not owned by eon who own both powergen and metering services.

well what a suprise sat in all day again waiting for british gas to come and do my meter test and guess what!

yep yet again no one turned up!!!

i now owe them 350, this just gets better and better

Sam

Guest Ruthie P

danny, have you spoken with british gas about your failed appointments? I know that powergen cover agreed appointments in their garuantees of service, if an appointment fails (the meter operators dont turn up) you get a compensation payment if it wasnt your fault, the supplier then takes it up with their contractors, you get a compen payment for EVERY failed appointment that isnt your fault, at this rate your debt will be paid off.... ring them, its worth it.

hi,

i agree with the previous post. next time you call them ask for a copy of their guarantees of service and you'll probably find somewhere in the small print that they will pay you per failed appt where it was their fault.

it may also be worth calling them and saying you have no electric in the property and there is a red light on the meter. they should arrange someone to go out the same day. hopefully someone else can confirm this though. what area of the country are you in?

Guest Ruthie P

They will go out nick but that doesnt mean that they will fit a check meter, if they go out and there is no light they will just come back saying that there is no fault with the meter. The only thing really that you can do is to keep booking the appointment with them, you can ask for a 2 hour time slot, if they aren't out within the two hour period you have booked, again you should get another compen payout due to their failure and you have only wasted 2 hours rather than a whole day. Appointments are usually available between 8-6 (sometimes 8 - 8 ) in some areas, so you may not even need to take time off of work if you get them to book it between say 4-6. Isn't their 10 days also up now? If so you may want to advise the ombudsman of their continued failed appointments.

Let us know how you get on..... and by the way..... Powergen are ok..... well nick and I work there so they must be....pmsl:razz:

i have to agree with ruthie powergen have to be ok if we both work there haha.

the only other thing i can think is next time you call ask to speak to the senior rep for that team and refuse to talk to anyone else. when you speak to them tell them whats happened and ask for the reasons the appointments dont happen because they should have a reason to say why it failed. then tell them they have to sort it out for you and if no one turns up that you'll be on the phone constantly until they do.

£60 compensation promised last week in writing and an appointment for the 9th of may also in writing, letter of complaint sent via recorded delivery, if nothing is resolved in 14 days the ombudsman can take over, I have also sent a bill for the 4 days i have taken off work to for their appointments as its been over a week since compensation was offered and nothing has been sent out.

I refuse to give up though, no one use's 200 of electric a month and i want my money back

Sam

Its such a ludicrous amount to expect anyone to pay each month- Keep going!

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .