• Tweets

• Hi Sorry for the delay in getting back to you The email excuse and I do say excuse to add to your account and if court decide LL can't recoup costs will be removed is a joke. So I would Ask them: Ask them to provide you with the exact terms within your Tenancy Agreement that allows them to add these Court Fees to your Account before it has been decided in Court by a Judge. Until the above is answered you require these Court Fees to be removed from your Account (Note: I will all be down to your Tenancy Agreement so have a good look through it to see what if any fees they can add to your account in these circumstances)
    • Thank you for your responses. As requested, some more detail. Please forgive, I'm writing this on my phone which always makes for less than perfect grammar. My Dad tries but English not his 1st language, i'm born and bred in England, a qualified accountant and i often help him with his admin. On this occasion I helped my dad put in his renewal driving licence application around 6 weeks before expiry and with it the disclosure of his sleep apnoea. Once the licence expired I told him to get in touch with his GP, because the DVLA were offering only radio silence at that time (excuses of backlogs When I called to chase up). The GP charged £30 for an opinion letter on his ability to drive based on his medical history- at the time I didn't take a copy of the letter, but I am hoping this will be key evidence that we can rely on as to why s88 applies because in the GP opinion they saw no reason he couldn't drive i need to see the letter again as im going only on memory- we forwarded the letter in a chase up / complaint to the DVLA.  In December, everything went quiet RE the sleep apnoea (i presume his GP had given assurance) but the DVLA noticed there had been a 2nd medical issue in the past, when my father suffered a one off mini stroke 3 years prior. That condition had long been resolved via an operation (on his brain of all places, it was a scary time, but he came through unscathed) and he's never had an issue since. We were able to respond to that query very promptly (within the 14 days) and the next communication was the licence being granted 2 months later. DVLA have been very slow in responding every step of the way.  I realise by not disclosing the mini stroke at the time, and again on renewal (had I known I'd have encouraged it) he was potentially committing an offence, however that is not relevant to the current charge being levied, which is that he was unable to rely on s88 because of a current medical issue (not one that had been resolved). I could be wrong, I'm not a legal expert! The letter is a summons I believe because its a speeding offence (59 in a temp roadworks 50 limit on the A1, ironically whist driving up to visit me). We pleaded guilty to the speeding but not guilty to the s87.  DVLA always confirmed to me on the phone that the licence had not been revoked and that he "May" be able to continue to drive. They also confirmed in writing, but the letter explains the DVLA offer no opinion on the matter and that its up to the driver to seek legal advice. I'll take the advice to contact DVLA medical group. I'm going to contact the GP to make sure they received the SAR request for data, and make it clear we need to see a copy of the opinion letter. In terms of whether to continue to fight this, or to continue with the defence, do we have any idea of the potential consequences of either option? Thanks all
    • stopping payments until a DN arrives does not equal automatic sale to a DCA...if you resume payments after the DN.  
    • Sleep apnoea: used to require the condition  to be “completely” controlled Sometime before June 2013 DVLA changed it to "adequately" controlled. I have to disagree with MitM regarding the effect of informing DVLA and S.88 A diagnosis of sleep apnoea doesn't mean a licence wont be granted, and, indeed, here it was. If the father sought medical advice (did he?) : this is precisely where S.88 applies https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/64edcf3a13ae1500116e2f5d/inf1886-can-i-drive-while-my-application-is-with-dvla.pdf p.4 for “new medical condition” It is shakier ground if the opinion of a healthcare professional wasn’t sought. in that case it is on the driver to state they believed they met the medical standard to drive. However, the fact the licence was then later granted can be used to be persuasive that the driver’s belief they met the standard was correct. What was the other condition? And, just to confirm, at no point did DVLA say the licence was revoked / application refused? I’d be asking DVLA Drivers’ Medical Group why they believe S.88 doesn’t apply. S.88 only applies for the UK, incidentally. If your licence has expired and you meet the conditions for S.88 you can drive in the U.K., but not outside the U.K. 
    • So you think not pay until DN then pay something to the oc to delay selling to dcas?    then go from there? 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

A+L Card Debt sold to LINK

The Phantom
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5426 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Reply received from the OFT today

They would like me to send them all relating documents regarding MBNA's breaches and regarding sale of unenforceable debt including a full description of what has happened

They also sent me a few forms to fill out and return to them and gave me a file or case number

They also said although they normally do not act on individual's complaints as such , sometimes depending on the severity of breaches or offences they may contact the lender or company on individual's cases

So they have asked me to fill out a consent form that they can investigate and make enquiries on my behalf into my account (TS wanted me to fill out something similar at the time)

So I will prepare the documents and send them of to the lady at OFT

You never know , what do they say at Tesco's "every little helps"

So here we go

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cashin

Regarding RMA(DCA) I am involved with them concerning AM/Exp C/C account.

To date they have not been a problem as I'am on a DMP through the CCCA. However, just received a request from them quote 'I am pleased to inform you that based on your good payment conduct; you have been selected for a settlement offer on your current outstanding balance.

I wish?

Cashin

Regarding RMA(DCA) I am involved with them concerning AM/Exp C/C account.

To date they have not been a problem as I'am on a DMP through the CCCA. However, just received a request from them quote 'I am pleased to inform you that based on your good payment conduct; you have been selected for a settlement offer on your current outstanding balance.

I wish?

Icepop,

Many thanks, no responce so far from them regarding CCA. 16 days now elapsed.

Do I write and tell them the account is now in dispute or wait untill 30+ days are up??

Cashin:confused:

The account should have gone "into dispute" when you sent CCA.

Check your time-scales - 12 working days (+2 for posting) + one further calendar month.

Sweat out the rest of the time if you can - why alert them? - let them hang themselves

Hi cashin, I had an issue about eighteen months ago with Barclays Bank and RMA contacted me chasing the debt. Once it was discharged and satisfied, it took them an age to update my file and remove the negatives from it. Cheers ROS

RiPoFfStOpPeR

Received a letter from LINK today (no agreement) (today is the deadline for the first 12 working days after CCA request) so from today they have another 30 days

They say they have requested a copy of my agreement from MBNA and a copy of the MOST RECENT terms and conditions the account was operated under (I thought the terms & conditions are part of the original agreement and must therefore be of the time the agreement was made ?)

If MBNA charges them for this agreement they will pass this cost on to me

(I paid my pound, do I have to pay more than that ?)

And they have put my account on hold for 2 weeks for me to contact the office to provide further details. (??)

I hate to tell them, but this is on hold until they provide the agreement with all the prescribed terms on it, I also hate to tell them MBNA has already defaulted on my CCA request earlier this year, selling them an unenforceable debt and may not be able to dig out a proper agreement for them

I am in two minds whether to send them a reply or not

Hello, just been reading your thread with interest - MBNA sold my account to Link (after I had reached a payment agreement with them), Link were awful to deal with. I CCA's both MBNA and Link, the 12+2 came and went, and am quietly waiting for the 30 days to come and go.....here's hoping! I haven't received a single letter/phone call from Link since I CCA'd them and sent a telephone harrassment letter. I hope they're not giving you too much hassle!

All the best with your MBNA struggle

:-)

Many thanks - reading between the lines of their letter, they are fully aware of their legal obligations. Their letter arrived dead on the 12th working day after they received my first request. In there they state it can take up to 30 days to provide me with the information.

The only incorrect thing is that they believe they can charge me more than £1.- and that they can put the account on hold for only 2 weeks if they haven't got an agreement and that the agreement can be sent with new terms and conditions, when it should be the original ones.

Anyway, as MBNA could not (or didn't) provide the agreement and sold the debt instead illegally I have some hope that LINK will not be able to come up with anything either.

The problem is I am soooo tempted to write them a letter and show them the proverbial finger, but I am still restraining myself

:D

• 3 weeks later...

Nope - silence.

Criminal default (12 + 30) on 23.06. (as that is a Saturday I think they have until the following Monday 25.06)

I have written them to advise them I will not accept any more than £1.- for the provision of the document as is set out in the relevant law and that I will not enter into any further communication with them until they have fully complied with their legal obligations.

They have not replied, never had a phone call and nothing else really.

Days are just ticking down

As the debt was not with MBNA originally but with A&L and the card is quite old (mid 1990s) I somewhat think the original agreement is no longer, but we will have to wait and see....:)

As the debt was not with MBNA originally but with A&L and the card is quite old (mid 1990s) I somewhat think the original agreement is no longer
Mine was also an A&L card from 93.

They tried to fob me off with some current terms and conditions and I'm getting loads of calls from GVA. I've since written back with the harrassment letter to both MBNA and GVA. I've complained to OFT, TS and FO so just waiting to hear back from them.

PLEASE sign this petition to reduce amount of time CRAs hold your data

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/CreditRA

I HATE MBNA :evil::-x:mad::-x

Mine was also an A&L card from 93.

They tried to fob me off with some current terms and conditions

The new CCA amendments are not applying retrospectively, only to agreements taken out after April this year, so they probably hope some people will fall for it if they waffle on about it

I wonder how long it will take until these debt collecting agencies click on to the fact that MBNA is selling unenforceable debts left right and center....:D

And as far as I know the terms and conditions they supply must be the ones that were valid when the agreement was taken out initially

Correct :)

Barclays :- Settled March 07:o

RBS:- Acct Discharged May 07 :o (chase for more and CRA deletion???):confused:

Barclaycard: - CCA recieved 24/1/07. WOW! :o (GITS!!!) :-|

Phantom - did you ever receive any of the waffle from MBNA

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mbna/81907-mbna-ding-ding-round.html#post920393

Received this letter this morning and just wondered if anyone would like to comment - I think they are talking rubbish and don't have the actually orginal agreement

No, they never replied to me at all regarding my CCA request or s85 default

notice. (I know they received the CCA request as they cashed the £1.- cheque)

They defaulted and then simply sold the debt to LINK who is now also 1 week away from criminal default (12 & 30)

I am pretty sure they do not have the original agreement anymore and in your case probably the same.

In your case they try to blabber themselves out of it, hoping you will buy something of it, in my case they are just doing nothing

hi phantom

well, well, MBNA have thrown up an application form from 1993 - take a look - its missing loads of stuff though just writing my letter now

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mbna/81907-mbna-ding-ding-round-2.html#post930517

Have had a look at your thread - it appears they did a bulk mailing of old agreements (applications) recently. I have still not received anything from LINK. I suppose MBNA would have to send it to Link first ?

If they posted it to Link it would probably take a few days longer to reach me

I will let you know if Link manages to get it to me before Monday, they have a few more days before going into criminal default:shock:

Edited by Josie8

You may receive different advice to your query as people have different experiences and opinions. Please use your own judgement in deciding whose advice to take.

If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional. Any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability.

If you think I have been helpful PLEASE click the scales

court bundles for dummies

Ha, you could very well be right there. In my case they simply sold the debt and made it someone else's problem (i.e. Link's) and now LINK has defaulted as well

This is what may be happening in your case as well at some point, that they will sell your accounts off and you suddenly hear from Debt Collecting Agencies, but you simply send them the same CCA request and point out you do not acknowledge any debt to them and then sit back and wait

I also believe MBNA has got a huge problem because what they kept in their files and archives as agreements are only the initial pre-contractual application forms and more and more people are switching on to this

Even if they send us something chances are high it will be an unenforceable document, but of course this is not our problem

Hi Phantom. Have a similar problem with MBNA selling the debt to Link while account was in dispute. Going to CCA Link now and see what they come up with! Keep up the good fight! ;)

:!: -Any advise I give is based purely on my own experience. It should not be solely relied upon as I am NOT a legal expert and any major decisions you make should not be based on my opinion alone -

HFC Bank - Davey vs HFC

Barclays - Monthly payments made

Cahoot - Agreement received, awaiting 2nd agreement after DCA.

MBNA1&2 - Agreements received. (Currently in limbo)

Halifax - Davey vs Halifax/Cabot

MINT - Davey vs Mint

Amex - Davey vs Amex

Cap1 **WON** £1,500 Written Off Davey vs Cap1

Never Sign Anything