• Tweets

• Northmonk forget what I said about your Notice to Hirer being the best I have seen . Though it  still may be  it is not good enough to comply with PoFA. Before looking at the NTH, we can look at the original Notice to Keeper. That is not compliant. First the period of parking as sated on their PCN is not actually the period of parking but a misstatement  since it is only the arrival and departure times of your vehicle. The parking period  is exactly that -ie the time youwere actually parked in a parking spot.  If you have to drive around to find a place to park the act of driving means that you couldn't have been parked at the same time. Likewise when you left the parking place and drove to the exit that could not be describes as parking either. So the first fail is  failing to specify the parking period. Section9 [2][a] In S9[2][f] the Act states  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN fails to mention the words in parentheses despite Section 9 [2]starting by saying "The notice must—..." As the Notice to Keeper fails to comply with the Act,  it follows that the Notice to Hirer cannot be pursued as they couldn't get the NTH compliant. Even if the the NTH was adjudged  as not  being affected by the non compliance of the NTK, the Notice to Hirer is itself not compliant with the Act. Once again the PCN fails to get the parking period correct. That alone is enough to have the claim dismissed as the PCN fails to comply with PoFA. Second S14 [5] states " (5)The notice to Hirer must— (a)inform the hirer that by virtue of this paragraph any unpaid parking charges (being parking charges specified in the notice to keeper) may be recovered from the hirer; ON their NTH , NPE claim "The driver of the above vehicle is liable ........" when the driver is not liable at all, only the hirer is liable. The driver and the hirer may be different people, but with a NTH, only the hirer is liable so to demand the driver pay the charge  fails to comply with PoFA and so the NPE claim must fail. I seem to remember that you have confirmed you received a copy of the original PCN sent to  the Hire company plus copies of the contract you have with the Hire company and the agreement that you are responsible for breaches of the Law etc. If not then you can add those fails too.
    • Weaknesses in some banks' security measures for online and mobile banking could leave customers more exposed to scammers, new data from Which? reveals.View the full article
    • I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Broke v Halifax ***SETTLED IN FULL***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1874 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:( I am trying to claim £1317 in charges from The Halifax.

They offered me a total of £360 as a final offer (only offer never mind final!).

I refused and sent another letter.

Today i got a reply saying i would not be getting a full refund.They aknowledged that i had refused their offer.

So then i phoned them and asked if we could come to a compromise to which i was told no.That WAS their final offer!

So where do i go from here? Do i now go to the small claims court? How do i do that and how much does it cost?

Feeling a little out of depth now.

TIA

Claiming £1537 from the HALIFAX

Interest £190.96

TOTAL: £1727.96

Claim submitted to the Halifax County Court.

Deemed served 04/08/2006.

(Yes i am a HALIFAX resident!:) )

Firstly welcome to the site... SM_yupi3ti.gif

Have you read all of the FAQ's etc ?

Have you sent the standard letters ? Prelim & LBA ?

There is no reason to feel out of your depth... There are plenty of people here that will help so long as you have read around the site first...

• Confused 2

If you have found this post (or any other post) useful ensure you click on the scales in the top right of that post to give credit where credit is due.:D

DO YOU HAVE A WEBSITE AND WANT TO PROVIDE A VALUABLE LINK TO THIS FORUM ? Go to this thread:-http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=52854

As ever, with (I believe most if not) all advice given on this website, I am not qualified to give any advice and you are duly warned that any decisions are your own decisions made on your own account and no liability will be accepted for any advice followed ! Use your own judgment.

Seek advice of a qualified, insured, professional if you have any doubts.

Thanks for a reply.

I am just reading as much as i can.

I sent off the 2 letters on the Bankcharges.info site.

Should i have sent different letters?

Thanks for the help.

:)

Interest £190.96

I haven't seen the letters on the bankcharges.info site but I presume they are pretty much the same as on here ?

How is your timetable running ? Did you give them 14 days in the last letter ?

Filing a claim is easy enough... There is plenty of advice on it around here...

I think the cost for filing a claim for £1300 will be around £120 but this can be added to your claim as can interest at 8%...

Read around the site and keep us up to date with how you are doing...

If you have found this post (or any other post) useful ensure you click on the scales in the top right of that post to give credit where credit is due.:D

DO YOU HAVE A WEBSITE AND WANT TO PROVIDE A VALUABLE LINK TO THIS FORUM ? Go to this thread:-http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=52854

As ever, with (I believe most if not) all advice given on this website, I am not qualified to give any advice and you are duly warned that any decisions are your own decisions made on your own account and no liability will be accepted for any advice followed ! Use your own judgment.

Seek advice of a qualified, insured, professional if you have any doubts.

Halifax paid the money into my account yesterday and I got the letter today saying this is what they were going to do (?). They offered me £200 for a claim totalling £1400 so don't give in to them. Mine went as far as them acknowledging the claim with the county court before they paid up. Nearly thought a few times about taking the £200 on offer and leaving it at that but some of the threads on this forum are a real inspiration!

Just the FAQ’s ma'am. Please read 'em thoroughly before jumping in. Cheers :)

Find all the letters under the rainbow here

Being a man, I am always right (however I will make no admission of liability if you have misinterpreted my instructions!! :) ) If you are in any doubt, then consult a professional. All opinions offered on this site are just that, and should not be taken as legal advice.

Halifax - £1400 reclaimed. Now on a crusade to help others!

Thanks,

I will need to wait until next Thursday (14th day) and then i will make a claim with the court.

From reading all the info on this forum i have noticed that it does seem to be The Halifax who dig their heels in the most!:mad:

Will keep you all posted!

Interest £190.96

There are worse ones, believe it or not.

But you WILL get your money back in the end

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 2 weeks later...

Need some advice please!

When i sent the letters to The Halifax i only claimed back 3 years worth of charges.As they have basically told me to naff off i decided to claim for the whole 6 years.

I have ordered statements from 01/06/2000 until 01/06/2003.

My question is : Do i have to start all over again or can i go straight to Money Claim?

I have done the interest charts but need to add the new info on years 3/6.

TIA

Interest £190.96

I would pen them a very brief letter in which you re-iterate your intention to file against them in 7 days for the original amount, plus the newly calculated figures. Include a summary if you want of the 6 years of charges (I just copied the excel spreadsheet into word and played around a teeny bit to make it look professional).

Emphasise that they now have a final 7 days to meet you request and enter into sincere dialogue. Should they choose not to then you will file in full following the close of business on X June for the full amount, plus costs, plus interest amounting to £Y as provided for under sec69 of the County Courts Act.

End of.

"BA Group. The World's favourite CA Group"

HSBC 2 claims amalgamated. £1195. settled in full prior to filing claim.

BARCLAYS settled in full 2 days prior to submission of defence by Barclays

CAP ONE settled in full on day 14 of LBA (£210)

Thanks for the help.

I will do exactly that.I just hope they send the statements quickly!

What really makes me laugh is that i can hand deliver all my letters as i live 5 minutes from the Halifax headquaters!!!!

Interest £190.96

• 4 weeks later...

I am filling out my money claim online and i don't know what to put in the Particulars of this Claim section!!:o

I'm sure somewhere on this site it tells you but i cannot for the life in me find it!

Can some kind person point me in the right direction pleassssssseee????:)

Thanks in advance and apologies for being a dimwit!:rolleyes:

MODERATED threads moved to correct forum , merged and thread title changed

Interest £190.96

Hi look in the libary :D

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

Thanks you're a STAR!:)

Interest £190.96

Only a quicky!

spacer.gif

Does or will your claim include any issues under the Human Rights Act 1998?

Do i select yes or no to this???

spacer.gif

Thanks,

Broke x

Interest £190.96

Does or will your claim include any issues under the Human Rights Act 1998?

No.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am just filling out a hard copy of my Court Claim form and i have a mental block!

What is the best way to word the :Brief Details af Claim section?

And in the Value section do i put Claim: £1537 plus interest of 8% £201.40 total: £1738.40 or do i just put the actual total amount?

Thanks peeps!

Broke:confused:

Interest £190.96

Hi,

I am just filling out a hard copy of my Court Claim form and i have a mental block!

What is the best way to word the :Brief Details af Claim section?

unlawful penalty charges

And in the Value section do i put Claim: £1537 plus interest of 8% £201.40 total: £1738.40 or do i just put the actual total amount?

Value

Total charges$1537

Total section s69 interest $201.40 up to and including ( the date you make the claim)

Plus interest at the daily rate of (whatever your daily rate is)

Thanks peeps!

Broke:confused:

mechs

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

• 2 weeks later...

Right then!

I submitted my clai to the court on Wednesday 26th July (a.m.) but i haven't heard anything!

I don't have a claim reference or anything as yet.

Should i call the court and ask if the Halifax has recieved my claim or do i sit tight?

Thanks

Broke!

Interest £190.96

Well i filed a claim at the court on 26th July !

I haven't yet heard anything 8 days later!

Is this normal?

Should i call the court and get the claim number??

Thanks in advance,

Broke!

Interest £190.96

Ok i have just called them and the lady at the court said she remembers putting the *stuff* in the envelope and that the Halifax would get it today!!!!!!!!!

Am annoyed as i filed my claim 8 days ago!!!!!!!

Is this usual for it to take this long??

Interest £190.96

Quite unusual really, perhaps the exception being where court costs are covered by way of being on certain benefits.

However, don't let it distract you.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thanks i'm glad this doesn't happen every time!

I paid cash too so there weren't any benefit forms or CC payments to be made!

Well i shall just sit and wait now for a response.

Wish me luck ;)

Interest £190.96

OK,

I have now recieved a letter from the Courts with my claim number etc on.

Where do i add this on this site? Or do i have to contact a Mod?

Thanks

Interest £190.96

You can send it to me via PM if you like

Claim Ref No

Date served

Amount in total

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1874 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks