• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Bank Charges - A suggestion

anonman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6034 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Obviously as I am posting here it is clear that I work for a bank.

I have a suggestion to assist everyone in avoiding bank charges.

Don't exceed your overdraft limit. ;)

Or at least contact your bank before you do, there are things that we can do to prevent the charge... but not afterward.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or at least contact your bank before you do, there are things that we can do to prevent the charge... but not afterward.

Whilst I can't deny that is sound advise, the fact is you are quite correct that there are things the bank can do to prevent charges ... before afterwards as well.

When a customer has a regular income but something like a payday is late or a regular monthly payment doesn't get sent from the CSA, many customers go just a few pounds overdrawn (basically those lower income households struggling trying to make ends meet). A charge of £35 for a couple of quid for a couple of days can create another charge and another. Getting an authorised O/D often isn't available for high risk low income families, students, single parents, pensioners etc and these are amongst the worst hit by bank charges.

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) - Awaiting court date

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) Pre-6 yrs- LBA sent.

3 Wins :

Barclays t/a The Woolwich (Data Protection Act breach costs & compliance)

HSBC (on behalf of brother)

Settled Out of Court - £3,874.76

Alliance & Leicester (on behalf of friend)

Settled Out of Court - £723.41

Guest NATTIE

annonman- make sure you PM dave or BankFodder, the latter normally has space in his PM box. Just a formality and they will keep you safe, 100% guaranteed.

You are absolutley right welshcakes - my original thread may have sounded a bit sarcastic but it makes a valid point.

I think banks should create some kind of more basic version of a current account that simply won't allow anyone to exceed their limit & incur a charge. This gives people on low income a choice if they have difficulty budgeting. Most banks currently some sort of basic account aimed at those on benefit, but the lack of facilities (eg debit card & chq book) make it less desireable.

Guest NATTIE

i am natweststaffmember formerly, the site mods and helpers here are fantastic in making sure when a bank worker does take a lot of flak in protecting them. Some good bank workers have left this site because of the anger of some.

Guest NATTIE

As i said anonman(sorry bout misspelling earlier) Sometimes it is tough being a bank worker with a bank mind, an emotive subject

Hi NOOMILL060!!!

I agree that the charges are set at too high a value - and wish I had authority to refund large quantities of charges - but the fact is branch staff generally have hands tied from above.... From personal experience, the general public may find they get a more favourable response regarding refunds if they are polite / friendly towards staff - someone who comes in all guns blazing just upsets staff. We don't make the rules but are charged with enforcing them.

I think banks should create some kind of more basic version of a current account that simply won't allow anyone to exceed their limit & incur a charge. This gives people on low income a choice if they have difficulty budgeting. Most banks currently some sort of basic account aimed at those on benefit, but the lack of facilities (eg debit card & chq book) make it less desireable.

My god, a bank worker with whom I agree!!! :-D

Anonman, you are absolutely right.

0 tolerance. If you have it, you can spend it. If you don't, it won't go through, same as with cash. But you don't get charged if payment is blocked, or a small sum if it is a cheque, as we know that there are higher cots involved in processing them. Then, it's between creditor and debtor, as it should be. We must stop relying on credit as a necessity to see us from day to day, week to week. For buying your house, yes, cars, big purchases, yes. But not for living. That's how so many people end up living in their o/draft most of the time.

So what's wrong with this scenario?

The banks, that's who. It would be naive in the extreme to believe they would willigly relinquish the huge amount of profits generated by us cash cows at the bottom of the ladder.

The banks hold the key to the solution in their hands. But you can bet they will not do this. Not ever if they can help it. :mad:

Guest NATTIE

anonman, someone can come into my branch and be the sweetest thing since sugar, but no bank error equals no bank refund.

Hi, Anonman,

And welcome to the forum.

I wish it all were as simple as you make it sound in your original post.

A case in point.

I made the mistake of going overdrawn by writing a cheque for £58.00 give or take, (guaranteed by virtue of the Cheque guarantee card I have), which was duly 'bounced'. A simple miscalculation. Ok, I thought, that's an end to it, the cheque will be paid and I'll suffer the charge. Didn't bother calling the bank to arrange an overdraft, just thought to make my lfe simple. Pay the charge, go forward!

I've reclaimed charges in the past, and I figured that, as it really was my fault for going overdrawn that, whilst I disagree with the lawfullness of the charge for doing so, I would pay it and be more careful in future.

I looked at my account online to see that I had indeed incurred a charge of £39.00, and I had deposited £100.00 in the meantime. Then I saw at a later date to my surprise that there was a second charge relating to the same transaction, another £39.00, even 'though it was the original charge which had taken me again into the situation where there was not enough in my account to cover a second presentation. (Where was the cheque guarantee?) The cheque had been marked RDPR (refer to drawer, please represent). On top of this, the bank then charged me £28.00 for 'unauthorised borrowing',

That put me about £70.00 OD which I couldn't hope to cover until payday, and before that, again I had another charge of £28.00 for 'unauthorised borrowing'.

I wrote to the bank complaining about what are excessive charges, (and let's be honest, those charges ARE excessive wherever you are coming from), saying that I would have accepted the first charge, but due to their behaviour now wanted to claim the full amount back. They first simply said that as a gesture of goodwill they would forego the next 2 month's charges!!!! and I wrote back to say that this was unacceptable, and after a bit of, 'We'll think about this over the next few weeks', etc, the bank refunded all the charges.

Now, I'm not really bad at managing my finances, generally, but I admit I made a mistake. I have a good, steady wage, 3 bank accounts. I own my own property, and have only one debt which is for a loan which has been 'topped up' over the years on a regular basis, and which has never had a missed or even a late payment.

Not all of us are that lucky. Many thousands of people are not in a position to absorb even one penalty charge from a bank, and let's be fair, it's the people at the lower end of the income spectum who are more likely to have a problem managing their finances and get into difficulty however clever they are at juggling. Sometimes it's literally impossible to stay 'in the black'.

So, please don't say that it's easy to avoid charges, that's like saying that you will never run out of petrol if you fill the tank up when the needle hits 1/4 full. It's true, of course, but simply not always possible.

Regards,

PeteCC

NatWest, claimed £521.00, settled in full.

Data Protection Act to LTSB (sent 15th June) Received statements 10/7/2006. Claiming £570.50. Sent claim 17th July Reply received 21st July. (sent LBA 22nd July) Then the procrastination started. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloyds-bank/11169-peters-progress.html

Settled in full £905.18, confirmation faxed to the court the day before I appeared, which meant I didn't know 'til the Judge told me.

Letter requesting disclosure of account info from Thoburn's bailiffs. (sent) Data Protection Act to follow.

Ooh, the suspenders is killing me!

:D

There is, of course, another option.

We return the law to the way it was prior to 1986, i.e. The Employee chooses how they are paid THEIR wages.

I'd choose to be paid in cash, and keep my money in a shoebox under my bed - thus taking my chances with the honest theives.

Don't exceed your overdraft limit.

Let's also remember that you get charged for NOT exceeding your limit as well. I have only ever had one bank account with an overdraft - I have been charged a total of 62 quid for the bank NOT paying a £3 standing order twice. At no point did this £3 standing order take me over any *limit* - it was simply not paid due to insufficient funds, yet I was still charged 62 quid.

Of course, it was this incident that partly started this site - so not all a bad thing eh?

• Haha 1

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Hi Anonman,

Up until very recently, I was a full time nursing student with a 'massive' income of £500 per month. I have to be honest and say that the last 3 years have been really tough going - I didn't qualify for any benefits like WTC ('cos nursing students don't work??) and because my husband has a job , albeit low paid - we didn't qualify for financial help with childcare either. We approached the Abbey on many occasions about the huge charges that they continually levied when there were insufficient funds in the account for D/D's and S/O's - usually around £150 per month. It just became a bit of a vicious circle - they charged us, left us with no money again and subsequently insufficient funds to pay the following month therefore incurring more charges. Their advice? ...Cancel them all - that way, we reduce the risk of incurring charges - and can manage our finances better! Er...yeah, OK then.:rolleyes:

So you see, we've actually tried your suggestion already - and it got us..... absolutely nowhere - it was a nice thought though. :)

I have a suggestion to assist everyone in avoiding bank charges.

Don't exceed your overdraft limit. ;)

OK, I'm going to respond before the bottle of red goes down any more. Can I give you a little info on how your suggestions work in reality?

a) Don't exceed your overdraft limit.

Excellent advice - wish it was that simple. Every so often, human beings have a habit of doing something called 'miscalculation'. You think you've added everything up to the last penny - however, you didn't take into account the fact that your NTL D/D was actually 60p higher this month than last month. Result? D/D bounced at a cost of £38, unarranged borrowing fee of £28, interest on the UAB fee of whatever the banks deem applicable, plus twice the amount of money to pay to NTL next month. Final outcome? Skint beyond belief and desperately trying to explain to your 12 year old why he has to continue to wear school shoes that are too small for him; trying to explain to 8 year old twins why they can't have their birthday party; bricking it just in case your petrol doesn't last till the child benefit comes in as you'd be unable to go to work (too far to walk - no public transport links).

b) Or at least contact your bank before you do, there are things that we can do to prevent the charge... but not afterward

Excellent idea, why didn't I think of that? Ooooooooh........... just remembered............ I did!!!! Conversation went something like this: I've miscalculated one of direct debits this month, it's going to take me 60p over my existing overdraft. Could you possibly honour the D/D please? It's due out tomorrow and, until my child benefit goes in the day after, I honestly haven't got a spare penny. I also can't get to the bank as I'm in work before you open, don't finish till you're closed and can't get any time off work (year end - holidays used - you know how it goes!)

Answer? Eh? Be understanding and helpful and support you to avoid our extortionate and unlawful charges? No chance hedgey, on 'yer bike girl!

Now, I'm trying to be really nice here as I know you have a job to do and I would not intentionally disrespect somebody for expressing their opinion. I believe in freedom of speech, equality, active citizenship, being non-judgemental, human rights, father christmas and the fairy at the bottom of the garden. However, in this instance, may I say that I find your comments slightly patronising and inappropriate, particularly after the recent whistleblower programme. Compounded by your lack of understanding as to the human impact of the unlawful charges levied by banks and the fact that aforementioned 12 year old son's school shoes still too small (we've ordered a pair from a friends catalogue though), I must say I'm feeling rather touchy right now! :mad:

Apologies if I've offended you - however.................

• Haha 1

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

Certainly no offense taken. As i have said earlier, original post not meant to come accross as sarcastic - it was meant to be a light-hearted suggestion. Clearly though it wasn't!!!!!!!!

As for the Whistleblower program - it made some shocking and entirely valid points - but seemed to give the impression that all staff are out to get you at every turn due to desire to earn a bonus. Simply not the case. A few bad apples yes - but the vast majority of all banks employ people who are hard-working and honest.

Guest NATTIE

Guys and gals, Anonman is in his infancy on here and learning all the time that while i agree with what he is saying or rather recognise that bank speak very well, the reality is not always as simple as that. I am sure that he/she is learning about that already from the things that everyone is saying. It takes time to get your feet on here. Anonman, i guess you are learning a lot at the moment and if from another thread you are to be ex staff soon your eyes are slowly opening up from the bank shutters that they were under.

Thanks Nattie, you know how much we on the nat west forum respect you and value the time that you give to us free of charge. Given that anonman is new at the moment, and has started off on an incredibly sarcastic, unthoughtful, unhumanitarian bad foot, may I suggest that you put him/her through your training school? This may alleviate future bad feeling and may even make him/her useful to us mere mortals at some point in the future. I'm off to our forum to do something useful now, something that may even make me feel good about myself............ support and advise my fellow human beings. No sarcasm - just genuine support for my fellow nat westers. And anonman - listen to Nattie please. The rest of us do.

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

Nattie has a training school, can I have an honorary pass? lol

Just thought I would say here that, based on conversations I've had with colleagues the first comment which some viewed as sarcastic is quite tame. Many employees go much further saying that we HAVE TO have the charges and that some people never learn (they don't like my argument that whatever the business case you're not allowed to impose them!!!)

SO bascially what I'm saying is cut him some slack, I'm sure we've all been or worked places where you get used to being around people who think the same sort of thing that you do and in that environemtn it is very easy to forget that there are others out there with a different take on things.

From the comments made I am sure the individual concerned is listening and learning, which is a positive start :)

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

I just wanted to add my comments regarding Banks generally. They have all IMHO changed beyond recognition, I am in my 40s and I was at University between 1980 and 1983, I banked with one of the Big Four and I had a personal banker - a real human being who I met in person and who managed my account. As a student I was always strapped foir cash and I would regularly call my personal banker to extend my borrowing. He was always understanding and we were as near as damn it 'friends'.

This was great for me - my requests for additional funds were always met - but I was 19 years of age and ran into difficulties and ran up a large credit card bill which my parents ended up paying off by visiting the branch.

Come next term I met my personal banker who to my amazement offered me a new credit card!! Very tempting to a 19 year old but even I refused (I think the parents would have hung drawn and quartered me if I had taken the offer).

So, Banks are not necessarily responsible lenders and I ended up having a great time at Uni with plenty of cash - but spent years paying it back.

Nearly 30 years later there seems to be no true personal bankers and I have had tremendous trouble with my Bank and charges which spiral out of control. I understand that the systems are computerised but to be charged around £30 for going a couple of quid overdrawn has never made sense to me - especially when the cause is a direct debit with a value less than the fee (ie: DD less than £30).

Recently I had problems getting paid on time by my employer and several direct debits went unpaid - the charges still came and the Bank were totally unsympathetic. Likewise when I went from weekly to monthly pay - no recognition of the fact that I had now to wait a month for my next pay cheque and more direct debits unpaid.

In the old days I recall that banks would allow one to go slightly overdrawn without an arrangement and no charges would follow provided the account was back in the black in a fairly short period.

Fred

During the worse time of Nat West charge sprees on my account I phoned them numerous occassions (on premium numbers we could not really afford), I even wrote them a letter at their request which was subsequently lost after hand delivering it at my local branch.

I am aware though that most of the bank staff we talk to are just pawns and doing their job.

I'd hate to work for a bank and their disgruntled customers at the moment