• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Huge bank charges **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6146 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I am after any information anyone can give me, I wrote to Lloyds and have a list of charges listed as (statement entries) can i reclaim all these charges eg..O/Draft interest, O/D Excess i know i can claim the unpaid DD's etc. This list goes back to december 2001 and these charges add up to over £4800 so far, the others are not listed but they have given me photo copies of my statements to work through so I think it will go over £5000, do I therfore need a solicitor and would it be worth my while to get one or should I just try and claim £5000.

any help would be much appreciated.

Jamie:cool:

If you follow this link, it has templates for letters you can send to financial institutions re. Bank Charges. Apparently, the most anyone should be charged for going over their arranged overdraft limit is £12.

http://www.which.net/campaigns/personalfinance/bankingcharges/whatyoucando.html

See if it helps :-)

...can i reclaim all these charges eg..O/Draft interest, O/D Excess

You certainly can

...do I therfore need a solicitor and would it be worth my while to get one or should I just try and claim £5000...

No you don't. The point about the £5000 limit is that over this sum, the defendant might choose to push for the case to be fast track, rather than small claims, and this opens up potential for costs if you lose. However, they would still have to be prepared to give evidence of their actual loss, and they are simply unwilling to do so, as yet. Others have had refunds in excess of £5k without problem.

Solicitors are not yet prepared for handling these cases, as a rule, but you don't need one, in my humble opinion.

Apparently, the most anyone should be charged for going over their arranged overdraft limit is £12.

NO NO NO NO NO

If you are going to offer advice, at least try to get your facts straight. You are talking about a small part of the OFT statement, totally out of context.

And, why are you giving links to another web site for template letters when they are all here?

jamiewalk1 - just reclaim all of your charges, in total. At least that's the advice. You are not being forced to do so, and you have to be comfortable with your own decisions.

John

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi Jamie,

You can claim back all of the charges you asked about with the possible exception of o/d interest. You can only claim back the o/d interest that has been charged on the other charges. There is a spreadsheet in the library by Vampiress that will help you do this.

As regards going over £5k there are pros and cons. If it is over £5k and is allocated to the fast track you are liable to pay some of the bank's costs but you can also make them disclose information that will help your case (banks don't appear to want to disclose this information for some reason and, from what I've read, settle before they have to). Do a search on severing to see what peoples experiences have been to decide the best course of action for you.

As John said ignore the post about charges over £12 that is a misrepresentation of an OFT report on credit card charges not bank charges.

Have a look at the info on the Which site that was linked to and also the library section and the step by step guide in the FAQs on this site. IMHO the info and templates are much better and watertight here than Which.

Please take your time to read all of the FAQ's and some other peoples threads so that you know what the best course of action is for you.

If you have any queries after doing that then please post them back in this thread.

Oh btw, I should have said this at the start of my post, Welcome to the forums:-D

Hi, I am about to send a letter to reclaim my fees and I do not want to make a mistake as my claim could be over £5000 dependant on what I can or can't claim for.

I am claiming O/Draft Excess, Unpaid S/O, Unpaid D/D

I am not claiming ODraft Interest(Ido not know if it has been charged on the overdrawn amount or not but is a significant sum) should this be included or not and will it afect my claim if I put it in anyway? it does show interest on the prelim letter page(not the 8% when going to court)

I am not claiming for charges from 2001-2000 for overdraft service fee £5 per month or the interest on that.

any help/clarification would be appreciated.

Jamie

The interest claimed has to be specifically accrued by the individual charge - it will therefore usually be a small percentage of the whole interest and can often be a very small amount. I believe that the new spreadsheet is designed to calculate this.

Hi thanks, I am going to try and use advanced calculator, my charges are listed for example as below , if there are 2 missed payments they are shown seperatly! but interest is on one day also is the interest I use the figure for the following month?

eg 03/04/06 O/Draft Interest 26.56

03/04/06 O/Draft Excess 60.00

03/04/06 Unpaid D/D 35.00

02/05/06 O/Drfat Interest 29.32

Now in the calculator do I use the figure of 26.56 or 29.32 as the interest for the charges?

I will not be entering my claim until next month as have just missed some D/D's so will wait for those charges to be added!

thanks, Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am unsure as to wether or not overdraft interest can be added to my bank claim, I have a list of charges but it does not state whether the interest is as a result of a charge being added to my account. I was approx £2000 overdrawn and the charges are for about £22-30 per month on an agreed overdraft limit of £3000. Any views would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Jamie

• 5 months later...

Hi, I have written my first letter for a claim of £4218.50 , this amount was calculated a few weeks ago and since then I had a computer crash and lost the excel spreadsheet with the charges on, I think in error I included a small interest charge somewhere and when I now add up my charges I get either 4191, 4221 or 4256 but cannot get the first figure I wrote on my letter to the bank.

Does this matter if rectified now?, which figure should I chose to use for my 2nd letter, any assistance would be of great help,

Cheers , Jamie

Hi Jamie and welcome to CAG.

Doesn't really matter at this stage.

Simply amend the figure on the second letter.

Whilst it's obviously better to get everything correct every step of the way it only really matters once you get to the court claim stage.

Pete

I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. Number 6

• 3 months later...

Hi, I wrote my initial claim to Lloyds in October last year (1st letter) and received there response from Andover that it was the banks final response etc...Since then due to family problems I did not continue the claim, do I just start from the second letter?? or do I need another 1st letter.

Also my claim is from 26/04/2000 so 7 years really is this still an exceptable timeframe or do I need to just claim from say todays date 6 years ago.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated and I will keep this site updated.

Jamie

Hi

I would send them the LBA, give then 14 days then start the Court action.

I'm sure you can only go back 6 years, not 7, so Lloyds might pull you up on this.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Barty:)

I WON!!!! :D :D :D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloydstsb-successes/1774-barty-lloyds-tsb.html

IF I HAVE BEEN HELPFUL PLEASE CLICK THE SCALES:)

Hi Thanks, would you sart the spreadshhet of charges from 08/01/2001 or 26/03/2001, just a bit unsure on how exact you have to be with the dates.

Also is it advisable to use the money claim online, when would I send the bank a list of charges I also guess not to include intest with this speadsheet.

thanks

Hi all,

just sent LBA and preparing the court form N1 and been looking at the template on here, do I need to include the bottom bit as I have no idea what it means or if I need to put it in my claim, I am not claiming any overdraft interest and the figures are my actual ones.

Charges £3801.00

Overdraft Interest ( I will miss this bit out)

Interest under s.69 County Courts Act 1984 £827.68

Court Fee £120.00

TOTAL £ 4628.68

(do i need this below or do i just write the first bit in black and second bit in black missing out the red, any help appreciated.)

Plus interest pursuant to S.69 County Courts Act 1984 from date of issue to date of judgement/settlement at £xx.xx per day {(enter daily rate here - (CHARGES+OD interest)x 0.00022 = pence per day) }OR at such rate and for such periods as the court deems just.

Hi, Thank for your help, just seemed such a small amount and wasn't sure it was worth it, but thanks anyway,

On the court claim form i take it in the amount claimed I put £4628.68 (the amount claimed including interest 3801+827.68)

and then put the court charges in the next box of £120 and were pretty much there?

thanks, it is very much appreciated, just worried about making a silly mistake.

jamie

Hi,

Hope were all getiing on well with our claims, I sent my LBA to Andover claims centre on 28Feb, I have had no reply as yet, I didn't send it recorded is this a problem , should i give them a call to check receipt, do the usually send out a response to the LBA,

Many thanks, Jamie

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

My claim has now gone to 'Acknowledgment of service has been filed', I remember reading in the step by step guide about sending 2 copies of my speadshhet to the banks solicitors, do I do this at this stage? as I cannot find the information again now.

They have 28 days to file a defence and I have had no contact from SC & M at the moment,

Thanks all and good luck,

jamie

Hi

Yes you need to do that now, have a read at the following:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/71369-getting-mcol-right.html#post614610

Barty:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloydstsb-successes/1774-barty-lloyds-tsb.html I WON!!!!:D :D

If I have helped, please click my scales:)

I WON!!!! :D :D :D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloydstsb-successes/1774-barty-lloyds-tsb.html

IF I HAVE BEEN HELPFUL PLEASE CLICK THE SCALES:)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6146 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks