Argos- can anybody help?!!

meeycha
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5801 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It should be sent to Sara Weller (Managing Director), and usually the avebury address:

Argos LTD, 489-499 Avebury Boulevard, Central Milton Keynes, MK9 2NW.

The acton gate address is argos direct offices, if the staff manage to decipher the letter is for the MD, they should forward it onto her office.

The acton gate address for reference:

Argos Direct, Acton Gate, Stafford, ST18 9AR.

Hope that helps

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The direct call center would quote there own address, it should still get there, however the first one above is the real argos head office, which if you have a spare one lying around will be on the back of your receipt.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Its strange that I was given the correct name, but the wrong address!

Sent 24th April, giving them 7 days to respond. Had the letter been signed for, I'd enforce it - but the bigger problem is, the letter (and the copy) haven't even been signed for - which I think is unusual considering it was obviously directed as a "complaint" - so even if the person working there in the post room had never heard of their own MD, they should still sign for a letter which is addressed to that company.

Just my 2c anyway.

hi wombles

Did you get your own report done on your furniture?

who did you ring and whats the number?

really appreciate your halp i am being fobbed off by these my thread is argos 3 peice suite if you want to check it out

Hi meg&mog

Ive not actually had the report done on the sofa yet, will get onto it tomorrow, I sent a letter to argos about the sofa and they rang me telling me to get the report done, dont know how they got my number.

They just said get the report done and send it to the Acton Gate address which they gave me on the phone along with a reference number.

The lady who rang me did seem quite helpful.

as soon as I here from them I will post an update. :)

Wobbles

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Just To Let Everyone Know, Argos Are Not Interested In The Slightest And My Guarantee Runs Out On The 30th Of This Month I Dont Know What To Do!!!!!!!!!!

Does Anyone Know About This Report That I Have To Pay For I Think Its Bang Out Of Order! I Cant Afford It, Whop Do I Go To And How Much Does It Cost.

They Are Telling Me That They Have Had No Other Complaints!!!!!!!

Don't worry about the guarantee, they are bs anyway, as you still have your rights under the SOGA. It is however also the SOGA who says the burden of proof for faulty goods after 6 months lies with the consumer and not the retailer (which is why the intial cost is on you not them). Regarding who to goto, I am clueless about furniture and reputable independent experts, same with cost. Try yellow pages and ask for a quote, and if they can provide a report.

meeycha, I had my sofas for almost 12 months before a problem arose. They paid for someone to come out and assess the problem. Originally they told me the same as what they have told you *get an independent report*. There was no way I was gong to do this and called them again. They told me that because the sofas were under 12 months old, they would send someone out and they did. I now have new replacement ones. I can't understand this as our problems sem to be very similar?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The first post sudgests that someone was sent out, and has said something to argos that he didn't say to meeycha

Yes I read that too, that's what I can't understand. Our problems seem to be similar, a spring in my sofa could be felt when I sat down and there were signs of sagging in the middle.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 months later...

Well all is not well on this front. The sofas have been giving me a rash so it seems, waiting for the insurance dept. to send me out a questionaire. I, nor my doctor, wasn't sure what this rash was until I heard about it on the news. Anyone else had any problems like this?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The problem effected a small number of sofas sold by Argos and a couple of other retailers, however if you did buy one of the effected sofas you should have recieved a letter from Argos direct telling you how to identify if you have a certain batch of the sofa of which is effected.

I will post up the phone number for other people tomorrow, however afaik all issues should have been resolved by now, unless there is suddenly another model that is effected.

The currently effected sofas are the Pia and Bari Leather Sofa ranges, and the rash comes from certain chemicals used to process the material. If you do have an effected sofa, Argos will initially offer you a replacement, feel free to moan and such if you do not feel this is satisfactory.

If you need anymore information I will grab it from work tomorrow

I had a bari replacement delivered in May this year. In June the rash started and only got better when i started taking anti-histamines. I did receive a letter from argos requesting I contact them if any of the batch numbers matched any on the letter. None of them did so I threw it away.It wasn't til a few weeks later I heard something on the news. I have been to my doctors 3 times prior to finding out what was causing the rash.

I have had a call from the insurance dept. and still waiting for the questionaire they are supposed to be sending me.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Thanks to this forum I now know what my problem is and got a good solicitor as a bonus.

We bought two "Casia" sofas and one chair in July of this year, in the last week my back started to get itchy and now is half covered in a scaly weeping rash. I contacted Boyes Turner who said my symptoms are consistent with all other cases and they advised me to contact my doctor and Argos after which they will take my case on.

I contacted Argos and after a long wait was told "Cascia" was not on their list so they would do nothing! I will be seeing a dermatologist soon and look forward to seeing Argos in court.

By the way, what would my chances be in the Small Claims Court do you think?

Regards Keith

• 2 weeks later...

An increasing number of people have developed allergic skin reactions after coming into contact with leather sofas purchased from retailers Argos*, World of Leather and Walmsleys Furnishing. Argos is now said to have withdrawn the sofas from sale but as the situation has worsened, those affected have increasingly needed guidance on where to turn.

Advice and support can be achieved through a number of routes:

·By calling your local citizens advice bureau – www.citizensadvice.org.uk

·By contacting a consumer watchdog – details from www.direct.gov.uk

·By contacting a solicitor – [link removed]

·By contacting trading standards - www.tradingstandards.gov.uk

Affected batch numbers are:

ARG089-14, ARG089-15, ARG089-16, ARG089-17, ARG089-18, ARG089-27,ARG089-29

ARG090-4, ARG090-5, ARG090-6, ARG090-7, ARG090-8

ARG091-1, ARG091-2, ARG091-14, ARG091-15, ARG091-16

ARG092-4, ARG092-5, ARG092-15, ARG092-16, ARG092-39, ARG092-40, ARG092-41, ARG092-42

BTW sorry I have been overloaded with courses, uni work, another job and a vacation. I will post up information from Argos by the latest Saturday evening if I don't go in store tomorrow to do some paperwork.

There was a power cut today so couldn't check the Intranet and have been chucked on a course the last 2 days, however before that there has been no extra information provided to the staff regarding extra models/batches.

If you have any problems with any of the sofas purchased at Argos, please do contact Trading Standards / CAB. Or phone Argos direct and emphasis that you are having problems, you do not care that its not on their list and if they can't help you want to speak to someone who can.

You can also send a letter (rude or not) to the MD's office. This has helped in someone's case from the site as it tends to be dealt with someone more experienced then the everyday customer service operators.

Sara Weller (MD Argos Ltd.)

Argos Ltd.

489-499 Avebury Boulevard,

Milton Keynes

MK9 2NW

If you do need any information, help etc please don't hesitate to ask in the thread or PM me, I may work for the company but I am very much interested in helping the customer not the profits.

EDIT: The information has been removed from the intranet so cannot update with numbers or details sorry

A follow up to my previous mail. We had the Cascia suite which in common with the Pia and Bari has the same leather and reclining actions, therefore we must assume its from the same factory. I also got a terrible weeping rash and initially Argos said as our suite was not on their list there was nothing they could do. I wrote to Sara Weller asking for confirmation that my suite was completely safe and would not cause any medical problems, I followed this by saying that if she could not give this assurance could she please arrange an urgent removal.

The suite was picked up this morning but, as this range will not be stocked any more they could not replace it but, offered another suite of the same value or a full refund.

Interestingly ours was the third suite the van had collected this morning for exactly the same problem, this was only 11.00am, and the driver had been given a hazard notice which he said is normally only given out for things like lawnmowers. Very strange.

Still had nothing down lined to stores (aren't they nice) and have been in all day since Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am glad I've found this forum. I am waiting for Argos to telephone me with a delivery date for a replacement Pia suite. Both myself and my husband having had 'mystery' skin rashes since the suite was delivered last November. I have been assured that there wont be any problem with the new replacement suite.

My question is am I within my rights to ask for compensation. Not only have we had many trips to our GP, prescription charges and vets bills (as our dog also came out in 'mystery' rash!) we have now the inconvenience of not having anything to sit on until the replacement one arrives. It has been over a week now since the Manager said the suite will be replaced but hasnt given any indication as to how long it will take.

Your advice would be appreciated.

C.kent

*EDIT* sorry didnt read the full thread!

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

You are always within your rights to ask for compensation, you can either a) tally up everything you have lost financially and write to Argos requesting this amount or b) get a decent no win no fee / proper lawyer.

If the manager has not giving an indication of how long ask them, you can phone argos direct to ask or if you did go into store the phone numbers are 0845 1647 *** where the last 3 digits are the stores number.