Channel island account holders? ref:TSB

whispersltd
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6151 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

after searching this fab forum i have not be able to find if channel island account holders can claim back there charges as i have been told they are with in the law with regards to these issues and you cant claim!!! >hope thats wrong

can someone please put me straight?

many thanks in advance.

Ooh tricky one! I know CI law is not necessarily the same as UK. Who told you they were within the law? It wasn't the bank was it? As a suggestion from a non-expert. Why not try a request for info under the Data Protection Act which will cost a tenner. You will either get the info or they will send the tenner back saying DP doesn't apply here. If you get info it will only cost the price of a stamp to put in a request for payment.

What have you got to lose? Let us know how you get on cos I'm sure there must be others in CI who would be interested. Good luck:rolleyes:

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

HI CARO

no was a friend that told me that as she had contacted CAB and they said did not apply! but i sent off my first letter with a cheque for ten quid and got my stuff through this morning! [only took a week] so am going to procced and see how far i get, wish me luck!

debbie

Good luck Debbie. Even CAB may have got it wrong as this is such a relatively new initiative, so if you are the first over there they might not be fully aware of what is going on.

Fingers crossed:)

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It seems to me that if the Bank`s head office is registered in the U.K. then if you chase them there may be a case to answer as most of the laws and regulations will apply. for instance if an offshore business trades with U.K. customers they are liable to VAT for goods and services that they supply to U.K. customers, although they are registered offshore. I also think that the chances are better if you are living in the U.K. as you will be able to proceed through your local county court, I can only add to this that if you live in Guernsey, that I think that you will have little or no chance through their court system as the person who will hear your case is a government employee, and he is not going to upset the banking industry!!! :evil:

These are just my private opinions and have no legal grounding, but it is worth some-one having a go to see what happens. If i can find my details from 10 years ago I am going to give it a try, but don`t hold your breath:D

=======================================================================================================

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Halifax Won £1180.00

NatWest Won £876.00

Halifax 2 N1 submitted 20/07/07 stayed 24/08/07 N244 Application filed 31/08/07 hearing set for 12/11/07 rescheduled for 29/01/2008. Application dismissed stay still in place.

Charity Group £200 compo for lost passport.

HM revenue & Customs; demand for WTC overpayment £632.12. Disputed, their error. Did not have to repay.

All opinions expressed are my own and have no legal standing and no connection to CAG

All errors/typos etc are not my fault the blame lies with the spelling gremlins

<<<<<< If any of this has been helpful, PLEASE click my scales

Hello!

Just a note regarding a point in the last post, which was good information by the way, is that some companies such as play.com, hmv.com are based offshore and do sell goods to uk residents without paying VAT. That is why they are based there, to avoid the tax, thus making prices cheaper... I think I am going to look to take lloyds on, by writing to their uk address, via the uk small claims court. Let u know how it goes, when I manage to do it!! In the meantime, if anybody has any further info, please tell!!

:) You may be right about Play.com and Hmv.com but then the customer becoms liable for the VAT and HM Customs and Excise can intercept the mail and collect their dues from said customer:mad: They have far more powers than the police!!!! :cool: good luck anyway Lloyd, go get `em

=======================================================================================================

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Halifax Won £1180.00

NatWest Won £876.00

Halifax 2 N1 submitted 20/07/07 stayed 24/08/07 N244 Application filed 31/08/07 hearing set for 12/11/07 rescheduled for 29/01/2008. Application dismissed stay still in place.

Charity Group £200 compo for lost passport.

HM revenue & Customs; demand for WTC overpayment £632.12. Disputed, their error. Did not have to repay.

All opinions expressed are my own and have no legal standing and no connection to CAG

All errors/typos etc are not my fault the blame lies with the spelling gremlins

<<<<<< If any of this has been helpful, PLEASE click my scales

• 11 years later...

This topic was closed on 10 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6151 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks