• Tweets

• Is all of this actually on the signage? Don't remember seeing that much detail on other threads.
    • If I have learnt one thing from this forum, it's not to call and communicate via email. I passed this info on to her and they are pushing for her to call them.    "Unfortunately, you will need to call us. The conversation won’t be so black and white as to therefore type over email. In a nutshell we can confirm that the request to not pay for 3 months we cannot put in place"  I emailed them back on her behalf and said that what ever is discussed over the phone will need to be put in an email so that she can review it properly. No decisions will be made on that phone call.    "Once we speak to you on the phone we will follow up with an email to confirm the options discussed. [Phone number]"   Why are they pushing for a phone call? If its not so black and white, why can they then follow up with an email?  
    • Appreciate input Andy, updated: IN THE ******** County Court Claim No. [***] BETWEEN: LC Asset 2 S.A.R.L CLAIMANT AND [***] DEFENDANT ************ _________________________ ________ WITNESS STATEMENT OF [***] _________________________ ________ I, [***], being the Defendant in this case will state as follows;     I make this Witness Statement in support of my defence in this claim.   1. I understand that the claimant is an Assignee, a buyer of defunct or bad debts, which are bought on mass portfolios at a much-reduced cost to the amount claimed and which the original creditors have already written off as a capital loss and claimed against taxable income as confirmed in the claimant’s witness statement exhibit by way of the Deed of Assignment. As an assignee or creditor as defined in section 189 of the CCA this applies to this new requirement on assignment of rights. This means that when an assignee purchases debts (or otherwise acquires rights under a credit agreement) it also acquires certain obligations to the borrower including the duty to comply with CCA requirements (such as the rules on statements and notices and other post-contractual information). The assignee becomes the creditor under the agreement. This ensures that essential consumer protections under the CCA cannot be circumvented by assigning the debt to a third party. 2. The Claim relates to an alleged Credit Card agreement between the Defendant and Bank of Scotland plc. Save insofar of any admittance it is accepted that the Defendant has had contractual agreements with Bank of Scotland plc in the past, the Defendant is unaware as to what alleged debt the Claimant refers. The Defendant has not entered any contract with the Claimant. 3. The Defendant requested a copy of the CCA on the 24/12/2022 along with the standard fee of £1.00 postal order, to which the defendant received a reply from the Claimant dated 06/02/2023. To this date, the Claimant has failed to disclose a valid agreement and proof as per their claim that this is enforceable, that Default Notice and Notice of Assignment were sent to and received by the Defendant, on which their claim relies. The Claimant is put to strict proof to verify and confirm that the exhibit *** is a true copy of the agreement and are the true Terms and Conditions as issued at the time of inception of the online application and execution of the agreement. 4. Point 3 is noted. The Claimant pleads that a default notice has been served upon the defendant as evidenced by Exhibit [***]. The claimant is put to strict proof to verify the service of the above in accordance with s136 and s196 Law of Property Act 1925. 5. Point 6 is noted and disputed. The Defendant cannot recall ever having received the notice of assignment as evidenced in the exhibit marked ***. The claimant is put to strict proof to verify the service of the above in accordance with s136 and s196 Law of Property Act 1925. 6. Point 11 is noted and disputed. See 3. 7. Point 12 is noted, the Defendant doesn’t recall receiving contact where documentation is provided as per the Claimants obligations under CCA. In addition, the Claimant pleads letters were sent on dates given, yet those are not the letters evidenced in their exhibits *** 8. Point 13 is noted and denied. Claimant is put to strict proof to prove allegations. 9. The Claimant did not provide a true copy of the CCA in response to the Defendants request of 21/12/2022. The Claimant further claims that the documents are sufficient to pursue a Judgement and are therefore copies of original documents in their possession. Conclusion 10. Without the Claimant providing a valid true copy of the executed Credit agreement that complies with the CCA, the Claimant has no grounds on which to enforce this alleged debt. 11. The Claimant has been unjustly enriched at the expense of the Defendant by purchasing bulk debt at a greatly reduced cost and subrogating for the original creditor in trying to recuperate the full amount of the original debt 12. The Defendant was not given ample evidence to prove the debt and therefore was not required to enter settlement negotiations. Should the debt be proved in the future, the Defendant is willing to enter such negotiations with the Claimant. On receipt of this claim I could not recall the precise details of the agreement or any debt and sought clarity from the claimant by way of a Section 78 request. The Claimant failed to comply. I can only assume as this was due to the Claimant not having any enforceable documentation and issuing a claim in hope of an undefended default judgment.   Statement of Truth I, ********, the Defendant, believe the facts stated within this Witness Statement to be true. I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in it’s truth. Signed: _________________________ _______ Dated: _____________________
    • Morning,  I am hoping someone can help, I am posting on behalf of my friend so I will try and provide as much info as possible.  Due health reasons, she is currently not working and unable to pay her contractual car finance payments. She emailed 247 Money and asked for a 3 month payment holiday, they refused this straight away with no reasons as to why. They have told her that instead she can make a payment of £200. She is currently getting £400+ a month ssp so this is not acceptable. She went back to them and explained she cannot make this payment and they have not offered an alternative plan. Its £200 or she falls into default.  She is now panicking as she does not want her car to be taken away. What options does she have?  Thank you, 
    • Read these 6 things you can do to be empathetic to other people’s views and perspectives.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Capital one settlement offer

khronus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6357 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Woo!

Sent of letter for DPA disclosure request on the 06-o4-06 and today ( 22-04-06 ) recieved the statements. They have not yet cashed the £10 checqueeither! I have worked out that there is a total of £540 in charges, the 2 charges were late payment fee and overlimit fee. I have read the FAQ but still not entirely sureabout the interest. On the statement there is purchase interest, is this basically interest on all debits from the account, how does one work out what part of that interest is due to their charges ? Apologies if it is explained well in FAQ I've not been able to get my head around it...

Khronus

Is it also corect that you can only charge the 8% after they refuse the request for repayment, in other words when you state you will be claiming through court ?

Khronus

You can claim for the interest that the bank applied to your account solely due to the charges, i.e. NOT for general interest which occured simply because you had gone overdrawn.

This, in my book anyway, is more complicated to work out, unless you are one of the 'lucky' ones whose statements break this figure down for you. The Halifax do not :mad:

It can also be argued that by not claiming this (possibly much smaller) figure, that you are allowing the bank an amount you consider IS proportionate to the costs it incurred dealing with your DD failure etc etc.

You can claim 8% interest on each charge made - this is also from the DAY the charge occured, and you use the spreadsheet in FAQs which works this out for you - very simple indeed. THIS IS ONLY CLAIMED FOR AT THE STAGE OF A COURT CLAIM, NEVER BEFORE ONE.

We can finally complicate matters by sticking on interest on a daily basis from the time the court case is started until settlement.

There is also a calculation for this in FAQs

Good luck

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I am still getting my head around the interest thing ( not the 8% if it gets to court interest but the interest we were charged by them on our account ). The interest charged to me is a combination of BOTH there charges and our spending so I find it hard to work out what proportion of that interest is claimable. I may leave out the interest and just go for the £540 unless there is a simple solution?

Is it only the interest that takes you over the credit limit you can charge for ? And any instance of that occuring I can add that months interest to the total claimed? On the capital one statrement it is down as 'purchase interest' whoch I presume is what they charge on purchases, the question is whether their illegal fee's form part of the 'purchases' and therefore acrue towards the interest charged ?

K

There is often a lot of confusion regarding interest - not least because there are effectively 3 types that are referred to....

1) You can claim for the interest that the bank applied to your account solely due to the charges, i.e. NOT for general interest which occured simply because you had gone overdrawn.

This, in my book anyway, is more complicated to work out because you should ideally know what APR they charged you for general overdraft rates and for 'over limit' rates - unless, of course, you are one of the 'lucky' ones whose statements break this figure down for you.

It can also be argued that by not claiming this (possibly much smaller) figure, that you are allowing the bank an amount you consider IS proportionate to the costs it incurred dealing with your failed Direct Debit / Cheque etc etc.

If you had to face the enemy in court, you would at least have an arguement to show you have allowed for actual cost. Remember though, you do not have to give them it.....

Another train of thought on this subject is as follows - If the interest is not itemised, then claim for ‘Interest Charges,’ and the onus will be on the bank to demonstrate the proportion they are entitled to.

The choice is yours........

2) If your case gets to the stage of court action, AND ONLY IF IT DOES, then you may claim 8% interest on each and every charge made - this is also from the DAY the charge occured.

Use the spreadsheet in FAQ section (or the new online calculator) which works this out for you - very simple indeed.

3) Additionally, we can finally complicate matters by sticking on interest on a daily basis from the time the court case is started until settlement.

There is also a calculation for this in FAQs.

Good luck...!!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Is it interest charged for being over the overdraft limit? Or just overdrawn? What with itbeing a credit acrd it is technically overdrawn anyway.

The only itemisation I have is my 'cash withdrawel interest rate' and my purchase interest rate' they are actually both the same. I think I will leave the interest out and if needed use it to argue that I have left enough to count as their 'actual' cost of their charges should it actually ever come to that. I will however expect to be adding on the 8% at a later stage.

Many thanks for your help !

K

Hi Khronus,

As Jonni and others will admit on the site, calculating the pro-rata interest elements is likely to be a dogs dinner. However, if you consider the following, and apply an honest assessment, the court would likely consider that you have made a reasonable effort in the absence of specific details from the bank:

Claim:

• Penalty Charges applied to your account. This is for exceeding overdrafts, referral/representation of DD’s and SO’s, cancellation of DD’s and SO’s, card misuse charges - the list is long!
  • Interest charged to your account for any of the above
  • When the interest is applied to the penalty charges, then this interest should be included in your claim
  • If your transaction history identifies what interest is applied for what reason, then be honest about the amount you request
  • If the interest is not itemised, then claim for ‘Interest Charges,’ and the onus will be on the bank to demonstrate the proportion they are entitled to

Don't Claim:

• Agreed fees, such as £5 monthly overdraft arrangement fee
  • In any 'charging month' if you have an interest charge, but no penalty charges, then clearly this is 'legitimate' interest charged to your overdraft. Do NOT claim for this
  • Additionally, this figure can be used to apply an 'average' to your interest 'proper' charges over the months - i.e. deduct this figure from 'Interest Charges' each month, and the remainder will be an approximate figure for interest applied to penalty charges
  • Any concept of costs or time at this time
  • Interest other than that which appears on your statements
  • Interest at 8% APR (that comes when you raise your claim at court)

• Confused 1

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Preliminary letter for repayment, is it essential or once you have the charges can ytou just send the 'letter before action' and save oneself 14 days? I am very eager to get things moving and although sending the preliminary letter first may be polite we all know what the result will be, is it essential in a legal point of view?

K

DO NOT DO THAT.

You MUST follow the procedure shown on this site.

Failure to do so could harm your case at court, and you really don't want to start out on the back foot. It is vital that the court can see that you have given every opportunity to settle this yourself, without their intervention.

Please take more time to read the FAQ section, Case Guidance Notes and STEP-by-STEP instruction......

• 4 weeks later...

OK today I recieved a settlement letter from Capital one. The letter said that the OFT are not objecting to fee's just the amount. They state that the OFT believe default fee's of £12 are likely to be fair and have therfore offered me £8 back on all fee's they charged. To a total of £216.

I think they are probably talking from there bums, £12 is the maximum I think the OFT would have thought it could cost, should I write back declining and continue as planned as next week is court action date :D

K

I got same letter/offer, and sent them a wicked letter (written by spiceskull) about the OFT statement if you want it. Didn't make a lot of difference in the long run as I started a court claim against them, but was very satisfying sending it...

25/06/08 - NatWest - Prelim letter

09/03/06 - Halifax - Settled 27/4

22/03/06 - Capital One - Settled 24/6

17/04/06 - Nationwide - Settled 8/9

Hit the DONATE BUTTON and give 5% back to support this site!

I got same letter/offer, and sent them a wicked letter (written by spiceskull) about the OFT statement if you want it. Didn't make a lot of difference in the long run as I started a court claim against them, but was very satisfying sending it...

Could be a good idea to post the letter as may be useful to others??

Mike

Hi, yes would love the letter please! :) I dont know if I havany obligation to reply to them as my LBA specifically says I will take court action against them without furthur notice unless I recieve the 'full refund' but will happily send it anyway :D

K

Could be a good idea to post the letter as may be useful to others??

Mike

I will pm the letter but has to be Spice's decision to post it - I will ask him....

25/06/08 - NatWest - Prelim letter

09/03/06 - Halifax - Settled 27/4

22/03/06 - Capital One - Settled 24/6

17/04/06 - Nationwide - Settled 8/9

Hit the DONATE BUTTON and give 5% back to support this site!

It's a beauty!! Get it & use it.!!

** I AM NOT A LAWYER, PLEASE CONSULT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IF YOU ARE IN ANY DOUBT **

I have successfully claimed against: "MBNA, Capital One, Bank of Scotland & Clydesdale Bank"

The Consumer Action Group is a Self-Help website, Moderators & Site Helpers offer advice on a voluntary basis. Please spend time reading the FAQ's, and other cases relating to your bank before starting your own claim

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all !!!

Today I got a letter from capital one offering the full amount back, they said in their letter though that they still did no believe the charges were unlawful and that it was purely a goodwill gesture. They want me to sign and return a form and they will pay me. Is this ok, seems a lil ****ty by them still, not admitting their wrong doing but its a full refund so is it advised to take it? The only other option is to refuse to sign to any of their letters and wait for them to pay anyway !?

K

As long as they are paying you all that you have claimed, then you must accept it - provided they have not thrown in extras like confidentiallity.

Let us know!

No request of confidentiality but they do say that they may still add fee's should U deciede to keep the account open. So by keeping my account open I will be signing to them saying they may still add fee's.

I will be accepting the payment , undecieded about the account though. I guess always useful to keep it open but its the principle of them not accepting liability. I know they will not accept liability because if they do its written evidence for the rest of the country to sue them lol.

Many thanks to all who have helped on the forum...you are great!

K

Even if you signed something accepting further charges, it would not actually mean that you couldn't claim again - isn't the law wonderful?

Cool, letter returned, a checque should be winging its way to me by next week I hope. Thanks again to the great efforts on this forum, I have a few more claims to go and will surely make a donation to help continue this.

K

Dhum dhum dhum, another one bites the dust. Great result - well done!

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6357 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks