• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Nici vs Cahoot & EX

Chimera
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6263 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ex left me in an awful position nearly two years ago, with thousands of pounds worth of debts, which I admit I had stupidly taken out in my name, but I did not spend. Anyway.. I have a joint account with him still, because the account cannot be closed until the £1000 OD is paid off... so I am going to ask them for all of the charges back, and pay off the account, and should have money left to pay off other debts with them too.. I have worked out that in the last year alone, on two current accounts and one credit card, I have paid £445 in charges.. should have been more.. but I asked for a couple to be refunded, as they were silly...

I will take cahoot first and them barclays, citi, ge capital, natwest etc... I have been charged so many times.... and just accepted it... Any advice would be appreciated.. I have started by sending them a polite email asking cahrges since the account opened - 2002 i think... will see what they say.. from reading the posts, they may be difficult, but I don't mind.. so long as there is a light at the end of the tunnel... This could actual clear at least a auter of the debt I have now - that would be nice!!!

Cahoot

JBD issued - 27/07/06, warrant issued 08/08/06

First Direct

Settled in Full

Capital One

Prelim Sent

Citi Financial

Offer of difference betwen £30 and £12

GE Capital - Evans Card, Data Protection Act

Argos Card, DPA

Barclay Card, 8th May-DPA, 14th July- 2nd DPA (asking complete history!!)

Egg Card & Egg Loan,DPA

NatWest Card

LBA

Vodfone

3rd letter re: default

Studio & Ace

Prelim for Studio e-mailed

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions, some formed by personal experience and some from research. If in doubt seek qualified legal advice.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ex left me in an awful position nearly two years ago, with thousands of pounds worth of debts, which I admit I had stupidly taken out in my name, but I did not spend. Anyway.. I have a joint account with him still, because the account cannot be closed until the £1000 OD is paid off... so I am going to ask them for all of the charges back, and pay off the account, and should have money left to pay off other debts with them too.. I have worked out that in the last year alone, on two current accounts and one credit card, I have paid £445 in charges.. should have been more.. but I asked for a couple to be refunded, as they were silly...

I will take cahoot first and them barclays, citi, ge capital, natwest etc... I have been charged so many times.... and just accepted it... Any advice would be appreciated.. I have started by sending them a polite email asking cahrges since the account opened - 2002 i think... will see what they say.. from reading the posts, they may be difficult, but I don't mind.. so long as there is a light at the end of the tunnel... This could actual clear at least a auter of the debt I have now - that would be nice!!!

Welcome to the site...

Best advice that can give is to have a good read around the site... The FAQ's in particular. Get a good feel for the arguments.

If you have any questions after that... post them up and I'm sure someone will help you out as much as they can...

Keep us posted as to how you're getting on.

• Confused 1

If you have found this post (or any other post) useful ensure you click on the scales in the top right of that post to give credit where credit is due.:D

DO YOU HAVE A WEBSITE AND WANT TO PROVIDE A VALUABLE LINK TO THIS FORUM ? Go to this thread:-http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=52854

As ever, with (I believe most if not) all advice given on this website, I am not qualified to give any advice and you are duly warned that any decisions are your own decisions made on your own account and no liability will be accepted for any advice followed ! Use your own judgment.

Seek advice of a qualified, insured, professional if you have any doubts.

Got an e-mail from them today:

Dear Ms. Chapman,

Thank you for contacting cahoot in Coventry.

The information you require will be sent out to you very shortly.

Please allow up to 7 days for this information to be received.

Kind Regards,

Stephen Shaw

Who would you rather be in cahoots with?

Interesting, they seem to be very forthcoming.. let's hope they are true to their word.. I have found with cahoot, as with a lot of place that it entirely depends on the person dealing with your enquiry, some are useless, some are negative, and SOME are excellent.. we'll see..

Cahoot

First Direct

Settled in Full

Capital One

Prelim Sent

Citi Financial

Argos Card, DPA

Egg Card & Egg Loan,DPA

NatWest Card

LBA

Vodfone

Studio & Ace

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions, some formed by personal experience and some from research. If in doubt seek qualified legal advice.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the list of my charges the other day about 2k over three accounts!!! Do I deal with each account sperately??? or all together??? Help???

Cahoot

First Direct

Settled in Full

Capital One

Prelim Sent

Citi Financial

Argos Card, DPA

Egg Card & Egg Loan,DPA

NatWest Card

LBA

Vodfone

Studio & Ace

oh.. and do I send the break down with the interest? with the prelim letter??? I am getting confused!!

Cahoot

First Direct

Settled in Full

Capital One

Prelim Sent

Citi Financial

Argos Card, DPA

Egg Card & Egg Loan,DPA

NatWest Card

LBA

Vodfone

Studio & Ace

so three accounts seperately??? or not?

Cahoot

First Direct

Settled in Full

Capital One

Prelim Sent

Citi Financial

Argos Card, DPA

Egg Card & Egg Loan,DPA

NatWest Card

LBA

Vodfone

Studio & Ace

As it's only £2k I can see no reason for splitting it...

As to the interest... IMHO... They should know what charges have been levied... Think they should be getting the idea by now ! However, I would probably send the breakdown... But it all depends on how helpful you want to be them and how quick you want resolution... (It's possible they may play ball if you are nice to them...)

If you have found this post (or any other post) useful ensure you click on the scales in the top right of that post to give credit where credit is due.:D

DO YOU HAVE A WEBSITE AND WANT TO PROVIDE A VALUABLE LINK TO THIS FORUM ? Go to this thread:-http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=52854

As ever, with (I believe most if not) all advice given on this website, I am not qualified to give any advice and you are duly warned that any decisions are your own decisions made on your own account and no liability will be accepted for any advice followed ! Use your own judgment.

Ooops.. too late.. have split the three up, but sent e-mails of 5 mins apart.. Have atttached a copy of the breakdown with it as well.. lets see what happens now...

Cahoot

First Direct

Settled in Full

Capital One

Prelim Sent

Citi Financial

Argos Card, DPA

Egg Card & Egg Loan,DPA

NatWest Card

LBA

Vodfone

Studio & Ace

Ooops.. too late.. have split the three up, but sent e-mails of 5 mins apart.. Have atttached a copy of the breakdown with it as well.. lets see what happens now...

Can't hurt !

Sent E-mail yesterday - got this response today!

Dear

Thank you for contacting cahoot in Coventry.

We don't accept that cahoot's charges are unfair or unlawful under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. The object of these Regulations was not price control nor were they intended to interfere with people's freedom to agree the terms of their contracts.

It's well known that banks make charges and cahoot's charges are in line with those of other banks. As you've stated in your letter, the terms and conditions of the account and the charges that apply are clear and fair and were provided to you at the time you opened it. You freely agreed to the terms and conditions and the charges when you opened the account. You weren't under any obligation to do so and could have gone to another bank if you didn't agree to the charges. Equally, you're free to move your account to another bank at any time if you don't agree with the charges.

In any event, we don't agree that the charges are disproportionate. The charges are reasonable and proportionate to the administrative costs incurred by cahoot.

I'm therefore unable to refund the charges you've incurred fully appreciating the disappointment this may cause.

If you need anything further please don't hesitate to contact me.

What to do next.. do I still have to wait the 14 days?? or do I send an e-mail back today

Cahoot

First Direct

Settled in Full

Capital One

Prelim Sent

Citi Financial

Argos Card, DPA

Egg Card & Egg Loan,DPA

NatWest Card

LBA

Vodfone

Studio & Ace

IMO with the prelim letter it is worth waiting the 14 days to give them a chance to digest and perhaps (not bloody likely) change their minds... That way you can demonstrate that you have been entirely reasonable in your requests of them...

However, another letter letting them know that you do not accept this response and reminding them of your request for a satisfactory response within 14 days of sending (/recieving) original letter...

sent them an e-mail asking them to reconsider... and reminding them of my intentions... but still waiting to hear back from them.. got an e-mail saying my e-mail had been forwarded to person who was dealing with my equiry. May send them an e-mail tomorrow.. give them a reminder.. and they have just charged me £25 for a returned direct debit - just makes me more detirmined to get my money back...

Cahoot

First Direct

Settled in Full

Capital One

Prelim Sent

Citi Financial

Argos Card, DPA

Egg Card & Egg Loan,DPA

NatWest Card

LBA

Vodfone

Studio & Ace

• 4 weeks later...

so.. I sent them the Letter before action... and it was their last day to reply today... i Got:Dear xxxxxxxxxxx Thanks for your email. As already advised, these charges are valid in line with the terms and conditions of the account. If, as stated in your letter, you wish to take this matter further then please send all documentation marked for my attention to: Service Relationship TeamcahootFriars HousePo Box 1981Coventry CV1 2ZA If you require any further assistance then please do not hesitate to contact me. Yours sincerelyCraig Cathcart Service Relationship Manager, cahootSo tonight - I shall be filling in my form and getting my money back... How long does it usually take form this point forward? and do I add the back charges they have charged me in the last 14 days?

Cahoot

First Direct

Settled in Full

Capital One

Prelim Sent

Citi Financial

Argos Card, DPA

Egg Card & Egg Loan,DPA

NatWest Card

LBA

Vodfone

Studio & Ace

I am ready to file my claim with cahoot.. Just a bit stuck on what to put in the particulars of claim.. I have copied and changed the bit from the library, but am still confused... Can anyone help.. They owe me:

They owe me £2655.5 in Total!!! (including the interest) For both my current accounts and my credit card. Want to get the particulars exactly right because I am having to borrow the £120, to pay for it....

Can someone please help???

Panicing.. and want to get it done tonight!!

Cahoot

First Direct

Settled in Full

Capital One

Prelim Sent

Citi Financial

Argos Card, DPA

Egg Card & Egg Loan,DPA

NatWest Card

LBA

Vodfone

Studio & Ace

Firstly, DON'T PANIC!

The hardest part of filling in the online claim is getting the word count below the limit and within the 24 lines.

Here is what I put:

I have a contract with the defendant bank

dated XXXX conducted on their

standard terms. I'm claiming the return of

money taken by the defendant in the way of

charges over the last 6 years plus interest

they have levied on those charges. The

bank's charges are a disproportionate

penalty and therefore unenforceable as they

are contrary to common law. Further, as a

disproportionate penalty they are invalid

under the Unfair (Contracts) Terms Act 1977

s.4 and under the Unfair Terms in Consumer

Contracts Regulations 1999. Para.8 and sch.2

(1)(e). In the event that the charges are

not a penalty then they are unreasonable

within the meaning of the Supply of Goods

and Services Act 1982 s.15. I have asked

the bank to justify their charges but they

decline to. I also claim interest under

section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at

the rate of 8% a year from XXXX to

XXXX of £XXXX also interest at the

same rate up to the date of judgment or

earlier payment at a daily rate of £XXXX.

Replace the XXXX with an appropriate date or an amount and use Vampiress' Excel spreadsheet (from the library) to calculate the appropriate interest.

Good luck - I start my claim against Cahoot on Monday. I will watch your thread to see how it goes.

First Direct - £2791.84 received in full and final settlement.

Cahoot - Agreed to settle for full amount of £2024

Abbey National - AQ questionnaire returned and 50% offered

Lloyds Bank - AQ questionnaire returned

THanks... Didn't put the bit about the xtra interest as I have used the basic speadsheet, unless anyone can tell me what the interst would be per day.. On

2655.90 plus £245.91 interest.. plus £120 court fees?

Is it under the Human rights act?

I do not know the date I started banking with them, is this important?

Getting very confused.. I suppose it will be easier the next money grabber I claim money back from.

Cahoot

First Direct

Settled in Full

Capital One

Prelim Sent

Citi Financial

Argos Card, DPA

Egg Card & Egg Loan,DPA

NatWest Card

LBA

Vodfone

Studio & Ace

Ok.. panic over.. have done it now... searched the site for human rights act.. and have put my claim in... Totaling 2655.91... with £120 costs... fingers crossed...

Cahoot

First Direct

Settled in Full

Capital One

Prelim Sent

Citi Financial

Argos Card, DPA

Egg Card & Egg Loan,DPA

NatWest Card

LBA

Vodfone

Studio & Ace

Oh god.. I am panicing now...

I have read through the site... but have now been reading more.. and am getting very confused about the 8% interest. I sent letters asking for the charges plus the interest on these charhes at 8%. But it says on some threads that you do not ask for the interest till you go to court... I'm very confused... Panicing I have done it wrong..

Are they talking about the 8% interest after the claim has been filed... - ie the interest from the claim date, as I have already claimed the interest until the claim date?

It gives the space on the letters i have copied and pastied for both the charges and the interest - so I think I have done it right.

Can someone please confirm this? I am a very confused bunny at mo... and am looking to get letters sorted for other institutions, so want to make sure, now, that I am doing it right...

Cahoot

First Direct

Settled in Full

Capital One

Prelim Sent

Citi Financial

Argos Card, DPA

Egg Card & Egg Loan,DPA

NatWest Card

LBA

Vodfone

Studio & Ace

huh? I still don't understand... I have sent a prelim letter asking for charges plus interst, and the LBA asking for charges and interest. This is the format of the letter?

"What I require

I calculate that you have taken £XXXXX plus £XXX which you have charged me in overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken. Total £XXXXX .

I enclose a schedule of the charges which I am claiming with this letter"

Is this wrong?

VERY CONFUSED NOW - close to crying....

Cahoot

First Direct

Settled in Full

Capital One

Prelim Sent

Citi Financial

Argos Card, DPA

Egg Card & Egg Loan,DPA

NatWest Card

LBA

Vodfone

Studio & Ace

As it's only £2k I can see no reason for splitting it...As to the interest... IMHO... They should know what charges have been levied... Think they should be getting the idea by now ! However, I would probably send the breakdown... But it all depends on how helpful you want to be them and how quick you want resolution... (It's possible they may play ball if you are nice to them...)

I did ask at the time... and was advised this was ok...

Am I just getting really confused...

Cahoot

First Direct

Settled in Full

Capital One

Prelim Sent

Citi Financial

Argos Card, DPA

Egg Card & Egg Loan,DPA

NatWest Card

LBA

Vodfone

Studio & Ace

Can someone please please help... I can only find conflicting methods on what to do... I am concerned as I have already filed court claim.

This is what I did.

1. Sent of Data Protection Act Letter

2. Got Charges Statement

3. ENtered all the Charges and Dates into the basic spreadsheet

4. Sent Prlim Letter, asking for Total and Interest from the spreadsheet

5. Got standard reply - waited the 14 - then sent LBA with the Total and INterest from speadsheet

6. Standard Reply, so filed claim, with Total and INterest from spreadsheet

The thing is.. it says on some threads not to ask for interest until the claim is filed... but in th template it states - charges plus xxxx interest

Have I got this all completely wrong. I could really do with some help, as I have spent £120 I haven't got claiming, and I'm worried I've messed it up. Could someone please help, so that at least if I have done it wrong, I can try to rectify it, and the bank can't make a fool of me.

I don't knwo if I've messed it up completely, used the wrong spreadsheet, or used it at the wrong time. I'm usually quite good with these things, but now I'm just in a panicy mess, and can't get my head round it..

- Should I have just asked for the charges back on the letters? and added the interest when I filed claim?

If so, why is there a space on the template letter for interest?

- Is this going to affect my claim? Can the bank use it against me?

- If it all goes wrong and the bank are found in the right - can I claim again?

STRESS...

Any help would be gratefully recieved..

Thanks

Nici

Cahoot

First Direct

Settled in Full

Capital One

Prelim Sent

Citi Financial

Argos Card, DPA

Egg Card & Egg Loan,DPA

NatWest Card

LBA

Vodfone

Studio & Ace

I have read through the frequently asked questions and the site, lots of times before I tried to claim. Over and OVer again. I think my brain was on melt down. I am now thinking I shouldn't have used the spreadsheet to work out the 8% interest, with my initial letters. I should have used the more complicated speadsheet to work it out. I have not got the info to do that, so I shoudl have just claimed the charges?? Yes? Am I getting it right now?

But, the only thing that matters is - will this affect my case?

I have asked for the charges and the 8% interest back in my claim - surely I got this right?

I think I am just babbling now.. I'm in overdrive... IN future, I think I will not bother with the interest..

Cahoot

First Direct

Settled in Full

Capital One

Prelim Sent

Citi Financial

Argos Card, DPA

Egg Card & Egg Loan,DPA

NatWest Card

LBA

Vodfone

Studio & Ace

I'm in the same boat as you. Just getting to the second stage where I make a prelim request and the template has the space to mention interest charges but then other places on the site say not to mention it until the court stage. Very confusing.

Sorry I'm not answering your thread but hopefully someone will be able to clarify it for us.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6263 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks