water charges in northern ireland

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6295 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

Just wondering about your opinions on the newly instigated water rates.

Up until now we have had our water rates included in our council rates and now in the same year as the biggest increase in council rates we now have a separate water and sewerage rates bill. My biggest problem is that all bills will be based on the value of our homes as of 2005. NOT the amount of water we use, so a one person household will pay the same as a family of five next door.Another problem is the rapidly increasing house prices in NI, because the rates will be reorganised to suit the new value of the properties before very much longer.

All comments will be appreciated

Stuart

If I have helped then please click on my scales.

Ulster bank

---------------------------------------------------

05/10/06 DPR letter sent

06/11/06 Request of repayment sent £1186.06

20/11/06 Repayment deadline

21/11/06 LBA sent

25/11/06 £90 goodwill gesture letter received

06/12/06 LBA deadline

09/12/06 Received final response to claim

I will register smallclaim in new year once Jan paycheque is in.

yes i think you are right they are, but my point is that i am being made to pay twice for the one service. Water rates have always been inc in council rates (although they wern't spent on maintaining the water system)

If I have helped then please click on my scales.

Ulster bank

---------------------------------------------------

05/10/06 DPR letter sent

06/11/06 Request of repayment sent £1186.06

20/11/06 Repayment deadline

21/11/06 LBA sent

25/11/06 £90 goodwill gesture letter received

06/12/06 LBA deadline

09/12/06 Received final response to claim

I will register smallclaim in new year once Jan paycheque is in.

I am sure ours were the same years ago, everything included in rates. We have been paying seperate water rates for a long while. It's just like when you have a business you have to pay for the removal of your waste, even though part of your rates included waste removal. I am sure though as you are on your own a water meter would be your best bet.

In Scotland the system is unchanged - although how long for is uncertain. Council Tax fees include the element for Water/Sewage and the amount depends on the tax band of the property.

With this now split in NI, you're clearly not paying twice as the water costs form no part of your Rates bill, and mean yeat another bill - however the consumption calculation remains the same - your bill will be the same whether your house is a family of 4 or just yourself. The only way to avoid this is to follow the route of a meter.

However, the downside is I hear Estate Agents are advising that having a meter installed in certain properties works against the seller, as only those that are downsizing would be interested, and if you have a family-size property, any purchaser would be tempted to go for the non-metered property.