GPM v Pipex - Continuing to Bill After Requesting a/c Closure

GPM
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6218 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I moved home in Oct 2006 and cancelled my Pipex account (I was well out of the initial contract period). They advised me they would close the account, and that I should cancel my Pipex direct debit. Since then Pipex have not closed my account, and they've sent debt collectors around to my previous address (after I advised them of my new address!). I have a log of every phone call I've made to them (probably in excess of 15 calls) asking why they haven't closed and continue to bill me. Every time they assure me it's just a delay in their billing cycle (more than 4 months?!) and they will send a final bill, with a credit amount from what I had paid in advance before I moved house. I'm still waiting!

I want to take action now, and demand they put this right - i.e. they must close the account, effective from when it should have originally been closed; refund the amount I have overpaid them; ensure the debt collectors don't pursue the debt; and remove a default notice, if any from my credit file.

Can anyone give me some advice on where I stand, and what action I can take? I'm mainly disputing the amount they say I owe them, which I haven't yet paid, and if I receive a refund of the overpayment, then fine, but that's only around £30 (although I've never had this confirmed in writing from Pipex). I want to stop them from taking any further action, and also ensure any adverse affect on my credit rating is removed.

HSBC £4,528

Began process with S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) on 5/7/06

Recieved payment on 21/4/07

How did you terminate? This may be the usual scenarion of the customer cancels verbally (or says he has), and the firm either take no notice, or continue to bill for the ongoing commitemnt because of no record of any request to end service.

I cancelled verbally (around 15 times!), although, they originally advised that because I had rented the line from BT, and had closed my BT account, that my Pipex account would close automatically, as the number no longer existed and the line was no longer connected at the property.

HSBC £4,528

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the 30 days is a problem or an issue - its a reasonable period to conclude an arrangement that is billed monthly. However terminating in writing (and b Recorded Delivery) is the only way to ensure they cannot say you didn't do it.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent them a letter today saying I acted on the advice of many of their customer service representatives - that the account would automatically be closed since the line rental account (rented separately - with BT) had been closed, and that I should cancel the direct debit. I stated my requirement was for them to action the request for account closure, effective from the date it should have been closed, and forward a cheque for re-imbursement of any overpayment, or I would submit a claim.

Lets see what their response will be......

HSBC £4,528

• 1 month later...

Pipex have finally actioned this. I received a response to my letter, containing a profuse apology, and advising the account had not been closed due to a 'technical error' on their part, and I have been credit the amount they had over-billed, leaving a zero balance. I received this by way of a further invoice, which I was advised in their letter, was the final invoice. I will still follow up to ensure the account is now closed, as it did not state this on the invoice.

HSBC £4,528