• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

AlexTed vs Abbey ** WON (pre-OFT case) **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6145 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

When I was speaking to a person at the court, he said I had no grounds to apply for judgement because the fact that I had a copy of Abbeys' defence proved that they had submitted one, and they weren't responsible for the failings of the postal service.

Thinking about it now, I should have kept my big mouth shut and just asked if Abbey had filed a defence. I'd have been told "No" and could have applied for judgement... we live and learn.

Having read other posts, though, it seems that the courts tend to grant extra time to the banks for a defence to be filed, so it might not have helped much in the end. :|

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking about it now, I should have kept my big mouth shut and just asked if Abbey had filed a defence. I'd have been told "No" and could have applied for judgement... we live and learn.

And who said honesty is the best policy? I would have done exactly the same my size 9's are always getting me in trouble ;)

Still like you said more interest, but it does not seem fair does it

• 2 weeks later...

Had a letter from the court this morning, as follows:

......................................................................................

In the XXXXXXXXXXX County Court

Claimant XXXXXX XXXXXX

Defendant Abbey National plc

Date 16 May 2007

Before District Judge XXXXXXX, sitting at XXXXX County Court.

Upon referral of the Defence

IT IS ORDERED THAT

1. The action be stayed until 10th July 2007 or until further Order; the stay will also afford the parties an opportunity to ty and settle the matter without a Court hearing.

Liberty to apply to remove/extend the stay

File to be referred back to the District Judge by 24th July 2007.

This order was made on the District Judge's own initiative pursuant to CPR Part 23.8. if you object to the terms of the order you must make an application to the court to have it set aside, varied or stayed withn 7 days of receiving it pursuant to CPR Part 23.10*

*This means that if a party is not happy with this order and wishes to object to it, then a Party merely has to write a letter to the Court within 7 days of the date of this order specifying the objection and stating the grounds for it; no fee is payable for doing this. The file will then be referred to the District Judge.

Allocation Questionnaires to be dispensed with.

Dated 10 May 2007

...............................................................................................

I'm confused by the 2 different dates - have I already missed the deadline to object? I really don't want to wait another 2 months before anything else happens - can anyone advise on grounds to object or suggest the wording for a letter, please?

AQ - sounds like I won't be getting one, then?

This is the letter I've drafted to Abbey as an attempt at settlement. It's more or less a copy of the one Tinkerbella used :o :) but I'd still appreciate anyone taking a look and pointing out any mistakes - thanks! Is the amount I'm prepared to lose enough, do you think?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will be aware that on the 10th May, District Judge Singleton of Cheltenham County Court has ordered a stay for settlement in the above claim until 10th July 2007. In my opinion I have given you ample opportunity to settle this claim which was started on the 1st March.

In accordance with the Judges request I will attempt to settle this matter. Taking into account the goodwill payment of £100 which you credited to my account on the 8th March, the outstanding amount which I am claiming is £417.11

Just to clarify, this amount is comprised of the following:

£385.50 – Total amount of charges

£81.61 – 8% Interest as per s.69 of the County Court Act

£50.00 – Court fees

Total £517.11

Total minus goodwill payment £417.11

Interest accrued since 1st March £7.20

Total outstanding amount of claim £418.31

To bring this matter to a close I will be prepared to accept an offer of £385.00. I believe that this is a fair attempt at a settlement and would be beneficial to the both of us as interest is accruing daily on the claim and would prevent any further cost to myself. I believe it is in both of our interests to bring this matter to a close but I am prepared to continue with the court action for the full amount if this is not possible. I will give you until the 1st June to respond.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something else I need to check; the Judge has ordered a stay until 10th July, file to be referred back to the Judge by 24th July. That doesn't mean that 24th July is my court date does it?

Something else I need to check; the Judge has ordered a stay until 10th July, file to be referred back to the Judge by 24th July. That doesn't mean that 24th July is my court date does it?

Or does it? Can anyone answer this for me please?

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering when it would be my turn to hear from Inga...

Had a "Without Prejudice" letter from her this morning offering £403.35 in full and final settlement, which is good because I wrote to Lloyd Henry last month offering to accept £390.00! Sometimes it's good that they don't speak to each other! The claim was for £417.11 after the GOGW I recieved earlier, so I'm happy to accept this amount.

Thing is, there's a para which says:

"There must be some charge incurred for the transactions that have in fact occured on your account"

Do you think this refers to the shortfall of £13.76, or will they credit my account with less than they're offering, which I believe they've done in the past, or was that just with GOGWs?

The final para says:

"Should you wish to accept this offer please sign the enclosed copy of this letter and return it to us in order that payment can be processed"

Not sure about this. Not keen to sign a letter they've worded, or am I being paranoid? More inclined to write back saying I'll write to the court when I'm in receipt of cleared funds.

I'm keen to settle this to avoid having the bother of putting together a court bundle. I'd just like to know if anyone can advise exactly how I should reply to Inga.

Thanks.

I would be tempted to write your own letter stating you will accept the settlement and will inform the court once funds have cleared, you are right to be wary of signing their letter. just make sure you quote any references

Abbey £4340.59 *WON* Jan 07

Abbey II MCOL 31/03/07 £8800.00

Please note..I AM NOT AN EXPERT ANYTHING WHAT I POST IS PURELY MY OPINION AND MAY BE WRONG IT IS JUST BASED ON MY UNDERSTANDING OR EXPERIENCE

Read my latest claim its a fast track potentially

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/61406-noobrider-abbey-take-2-a.html?highlight=noobrider

read my first claim which includes attending a directions hearing in court

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/10576-noobrider-abbey.html?highlight=noobrider

• 2 weeks later...

Final update:

On June 22nd I sent a letter to Inga saying I'd inform the court the claim was settled when I had £403.35 in cleared funds, and not before.

On June 28th I received a letter, unsigned, agreeing to my offer of settling for £390.00!! Do these incompetent idiots never talk to each other? I didn't know whether to laugh or scream. The letter said payment would be "processed today" (27th). Decided to ignore it and see what would happen next.

I was checking my account balance online every day and then on Tuesday - 3rd July - found the money had been credited to my account. £403.35, that is.

Hooray!! :D

I'm a very happy bunny and we're off to the pub to celebrate tomorrow night. Not a life-changing figure, I know, but it's the principle that counts. I realise I've had a relatively easy experience, ie no AQ and no bundle to prepare, but even so I would never have started this whole shennannigans (sp?) without this marvelous website and I'd like to give heartfelt thanks to all who've helped and advised me.

What next, I wonder. Will they also credit me the £390.00? Or try to claw back the difference (No chance, I moved the money as soon as it appeared, hah!)? There's no telling what these morons will do.

To everyone else still waiting for their money, don't give up, you know you'll win in the end.

Thanks again chaps (and chapesses) Donation on the way. Would a mod add "Won" to the heading please?