• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

AlexTed vs Abbey ** WON (pre-OFT case) **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6145 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

And, reading Maiejader's thread this morning, I think I may have screwed up on the N1 - instead of sending 3 copies to the court, I sent 2 and KEPT one for myself, so it doesn't have a court stamp. Is this going to be a problem, does anyone know?

This shouldn't cause any problems, the court will have kept a copy and sent a copy to the defendant and your claim has been issued by the court to the defendant so the wheels are in motion. The third copy would have been your copy anyway.

If in doubt read the

FAQs

If still in doubt - ask!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Received a letter from the court this morning saying that Abbey filed an acknowledgement of service, intending to defend all of the claim, on 19th March. So now they have another 28 days to file a defence.

I'm not sure what happens next - will I get an allocation questionnaire (the claim is for less than £500, so surely there's no question that it will be small claims track??) or will the court just send a hearing date? Or (moment of wild optimism) will Abbey pay up before the 16th April?

Patience has never been a strong point with me and I had a similar scenario last year when I had to take a client to court over non-payment of an invoice: I keep reminding myself that it took forever, but I got my money then, and I'll get it this time too. :D

So now they have another 28 days to file a defence.

Not sure if I have mis read what you have put but the 28 days is from the date your claim was served on Abbey so by filing a defence they have given theself another 14 days

I would guess they will file their defence on or around the 21st day which is what seems to be happening now

Not sure if I have mis read what you have put but the 28 days is from the date your claim was served on Abbey so by filing a defence they have given theself another 14 days

No, it was me that misread the letter: "The defendant has 28 days from the date of service of the claim...".

I wouldn't have re-read it without your post, Marie, so thanks. :) Abbey were deemed served on 10th March and filed their acknowledgement on the 19th. Sorry if I'm being a bit thick, but is that another 14 days from the Acknowledgement of Service date?

no oit means they now have 28 days from day of service (the papers were issued deemed served) in which to file their defence i.e they now have until 7th april to file their defence papers

MY CASE

Newbody Vs Abbey

NB: Please read the FAQs & step-by-step instructions thoroughly & completely before commencing any action

the following is a link to a web archive of abbey websites over the time click on month under year to access Abbey's site for that time period to get what the terms and conditions were for when you opened your account Internet Archive Wayback Machine hope it helps or here for where i have started to pull them out to http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/91707-archives-abbeys-web-pages.html

Advice & opinions given by me are my views or how i would respond, and are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group & are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions & actions are your own - if in any doubt, seek the opinion of a qualified professional

A copy of Abbey's defence arrived this morning, from James Arrandale, not through the court. Usual rubbish about me knowing the terms and conditions, and their "fees reflect and are proportionate to the Defendant's administrative expenses incurred due to the Claimant's breach of contract and are a genuine pre-estimate of the damage suffered by the Defendant" Yeah, right.

All the banks have been relying on the same defence for months, or years, but surely, after the recent whistleblower programme, they must realise the game's up? Do they think claimants and court officials don't watch television?

I know they're not just going to put their hands up and say " OK, we were wrong, you've all been ripped off, here's your money back", but do they really expect any of their customers to trust them in future? They're in a hole, but they're still digging!

Am I right in thinking the AQ will be the next stage?

Hi Marie,

Not with the Defence, no, but I did get a £100 GOGW paid directly into my account a couple of weeks ago. Replied thanks but I'm still going after the rest.

I'll come back to you for advice when I have to fill in my AQ! :D

A quick question on something I'm not sure about: does the £9.25 per hour bundle preparation fee only apply to claims which go through the fast track, or also to the small claims track? I need to start preparing for AQ and bundle, so it would be good to know. (My claim is for less than £500)

Thanks

How long does the court normally allow for completing and returning the AQ? I ask because mine hasn't arrived yet and I'm going to be away all next week and wouldn't want to miss any deadline.

The procedure rules state that you must be given at least 14 days after it is deemed served on you for it's return, so you'll not miss any deadline by being away next week.

If in doubt read the

FAQs

If still in doubt - ask!

• 4 weeks later...

Very, very angry!!!!

I've just phoned the court to find out what's happening with my claim, because I've heard nothing from them or Abbey since March 26th, when Abbey sent me a copy of "the defence we have filed with the court."

The very nice woman at the court told me that they have not received any defence form Abbey and "therefore cannot proceed to the next step." !!!!! She asked me to send a copy so they can proceed, which of course I'm happy to do, but would anyone like to suggest wording for the paper-charring letter I'm going to fire of to Abbey today?

Very bloody shAbbey!

Why can't you file for judgement if they have not replied to the court, my friend did this yesterday, having said that she has heard nothing from Lloyds who she is claiminging against.

Pm a mod and ask them for clarification, I cannot see that's it's would be your responsibility to supply Abbey's defence to the court, it's an interesting one.

Why can't you file for judgement if they have not replied to the court, ...

That's what I thought I'd be able to do, but the fact that I have a copy suggests, apparently, that Abbey did file a defence but it was lost in the post, or at least that's what Abbey will claim. Sounds like a convenient excuse if you ask me and a delay of 6 weeks!

That's what I thought I'd be able to do, but the fact that I have a copy suggests, apparently, that Abbey did file a defence but it was lost in the post, or at least that's what Abbey will claim. Sounds like a convenient excuse if you ask me and a delay of 6 weeks!

Alex I thought I read yesterday that the banks etc file things electronically something called "DX" I see if I can find the post that mentioned it,

I could not find the post I was looking for but my niece works in a solicitors so I e-mailed her and asked what it was this is her reply,

It is called DX but it is not electronic. It is basically the same as the Royal Mail in the way that it works. It is just that only companies use it as opposed to reisdential addresses.

Basically you take your DX post to a local DX hall. It's

a big room where a man with a van comes and collects it. It then goes off to the DX Exchange where it is all sorted out and then delivered back to the DX halls. Someone from each company then goes and collects their own DX post.

It is not like Royal Mail with first and second class. It is all given the same urgency unless it is sent tracked DX. If it sent tracked you can track where it is. This does not get used very often though

Sorry not much help