• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

AlexTed vs Abbey ** WON (pre-OFT case) **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6137 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm about to start a claim against Abbey for nearly £400 and would like to charge interest.

In the bank charges area of the MoneySavingExpert.com site, Martin Lewis has 2 versions of the preliminary approach letter template; one to use if you want to claim interest, another if you don't. Here, in the "Preparitory Steps" section of the FAQ, there's an answer which suggests that interest should not be claimed before the court claim stage.

Doesn't this mean that if the bank settles before a court claim, I'd lose out on the chance of getting interest on top of the charges? (Yes I am being greedy! Just like the banks...) Or have I misunderstood?

Is there a particular legal reason why interest should not be mentioned before the court claim stage?

Thanks.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

alexted, you've got two options :

• include a claim for contractual interest from the off. See http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/18313-why-no-one-claiming.html. A long thread, but worth skimming. Two basic approaches : claim back the interest they levied on the charges or claim the unauthorised interest rate because contracts work both ways and them taking the charge from you was unauthorised
  • 8% Statutory interest which is what the Judge can award at his/her discretion.

Is there a particular legal reason why interest should not be mentioned before the court claim stage?
Contractual, you do (see above). Statutory - I would think not because you can claim whatever you like provided you're prepared to justify it in Court (if it got that far). I suspect the advice about not including 8% Statutory prior to Court claim has more to do with not wanting to risk upsetting a Judge by appearing to say that 8% is automatic not at his discretion. If you decided to use 8%, probably best not to call it Statutory before the Court claim. But then it never ends up in Court anyway !! Regards, Mad Nick

Abbey £8370 settled 17 Apr 07

• 2 weeks later...

Just sending my prelim letter today. I have a relatively small claim, £385.50, so I hope Abbey won't kick up too much of a fuss, but I fully expect to receive the standard get lost letter in a couple of weeks. Will post progress reports.

I'm hugely grateful for all the advice and information available here.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the get lost letter arrived, with a not-so-subtle reminder that my employing a solicitor to handle my complaint wouldn't affect how they review it, ie won't speed things up, I suppose, and that they wouldn't be liable for any third party costs. Tetchy little blighters, aren't they? Who needs a solicitor, I've got you lot!! :D Mind you, they must be sooo fed up with people asking for their money back! My heart bleeds for 'em...

LBA goes in on 14th Feb.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me please if it's possible to reclaim charges relating to two accounts at the same time? So far I've started the process of reclaiming charges on my (joint) current account, where I'm waiting for a reply to my LBA. Today I've found out that Abbey are going to charge me for one, possibly two, transactions on my business account, which is in my name only, ie Mrs X T/A Y.

When it comes to starting the court claim, which seems inevitable, can I add these business A/c charges to the same claim? Obviously I'll make it clear which charges relate to each account, etc. Just wondering if I can save some time by doing this rather than starting a second claim from scratch again.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

My N1 went off last week and this morning I've received the Notice of Issue from my local court. Abbey will be deemed served by tomorrow and have until 26th March to respond.

I'm guessing they'll wait until the last minute and then file a defence - that's the norm, isn't it? Has anyone had an early settlement of a small claim from Abbey?

This morning I've received a GOGW letter from Abbey. I've just checked my account online and 3 "Miscellaneous fee refund" payments have been credited, totalling £100. (The letter doesn't mention the court claim - may have been written before it was served on Abbey)

Obviously I'm only going to accept this as part payment (the claim, inc interest and fees, is for just over £500) so I need to write to Abbey explaining this. I've read the rejection letter templates, but they respond to a "Final Settlement" offer. Can I just amend letter 5 to a GOGW, rather than a FS?

One other thing; the letter authorises the bank to withdraw the money because it's not accepted as a final settlement. Well, to be honest, my instinct is to run to the nearest cashpoint and get the money into my purse ASAP! Can I leave this bit out? If I withdraw the cash and tell them I'm still pursuing the balance, can Abbey change their mind and take the money back?

Any and all advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I think you'd be ok to take the money out of the account. The money's not been offered as full and final settlement, and even if it has Abbey would have to show you accepted it as such. A letter saying that it's accepted as partial settlement and you'll continue your claim is all that's required.

If in doubt read the

FAQs

If still in doubt - ask!

i would personally suggest leave the money where it is send a letter saying you accept as part payment and will assume they have accepted these terms unless the respond by XX date. then if they havent replied by XX date then remove it that way they cannot argue that you took the money as full and final payment as you gave them the oppotunity to dispute it as partial payment and remove the money if it wasnt acceptable

Just my opinion

MY CASE

Newbody Vs Abbey

NB: Please read the FAQs & step-by-step instructions thoroughly & completely before commencing any action

the following is a link to a web archive of abbey websites over the time click on month under year to access Abbey's site for that time period to get what the terms and conditions were for when you opened your account Internet Archive Wayback Machine hope it helps or here for where i have started to pull them out to http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/91707-archives-abbeys-web-pages.html

Advice & opinions given by me are my views or how i would respond, and are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group & are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions & actions are your own - if in any doubt, seek the opinion of a qualified professional

Alexted, I wouldn't worry - I have never, never, never seen an instance of Abbey paying in a GOGW and then withdrawing it even if the person wrote to Abbey rejecting it (as opposed to accept in partial settlement). Just remember to account for it on the N1 (as a deduction on the front page). Regards, Mad Nick

and will assume they have accepted these terms unless the respond by XX date

What on earth would you say that for?

If it's made clear at the earliest reasonable opportunity that the claimant is only accepting it as part-payment then there's no possible argument - it was only a part-payment.

The authorities state that it's the actions of the claimant that determine whether it's a full or part settlement. I'd not do anything that gives the bank any leeway, and I see no reason to allow them to have the cash back.

If in doubt read the

FAQs

If still in doubt - ask!

Okaaay, so that's two for moving the money and one for not... any more? :p

Thanks all of you for the advice. I moved the money to a higher interest account earlier today, but I can always move it back if Abbey get (even more) stroppy.

Quote:

and will assume they have accepted these terms unless the respond by XX date

If it's made clear at the earliest reasonable opportunity that the claimant is only accepting it as part-payment then there's no possible argument - it was only a part-payment.

The authorities state that it's the actions of the claimant that determine whether it's a full or part settlement. I'd not do anything that gives the bank any leeway, and I see no reason to allow them to have the cash back.

Just my opinion and as a view to stop the banks claiming they only offered it as a full payment not a part payment so you could demonstrate you gave them the chance to take the money back if it was not acceptable to them for it to be used as partial payment the only leeway i can see you would be giving the banks in this action is to withdraw the funds which you would continue to claim back anyhow and as mad nick says

I have never, never, never seen an instance of Abbey paying in a GOGW and then withdrawing it even if the person wrote to Abbey rejecting it (as opposed to accept in partial settlement).

Just trying to cover all bases

Sorry for the hi-jack Alexted

MY CASE

Newbody Vs Abbey

NB: Please read the FAQs & step-by-step instructions thoroughly & completely before commencing any action

the following is a link to a web archive of abbey websites over the time click on month under year to access Abbey's site for that time period to get what the terms and conditions were for when you opened your account Internet Archive Wayback Machine hope it helps or here for where i have started to pull them out to http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/91707-archives-abbeys-web-pages.html

Advice & opinions given by me are my views or how i would respond, and are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group & are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions & actions are your own - if in any doubt, seek the opinion of a qualified professional

Alexted,

I sent off my N1 on 4th March, so can I just ring or write to the court and tell them about the GOGW?
In that case, don't do anything with the Court just yet. Include the GOGW letter in your Bundle (when the time comes). That way, everyone knows it's part of the settlement whether it happens direct with Abbey prior to Court or in Court. Regards, Mad Nick

My N1 went off last week and this morning I've received the Notice of Issue from my local court. Abbey will be deemed served by tomorrow and have until 26th March to respond.

I'm guessing they'll wait until the last minute and then file a defence - that's the norm, isn't it? Has anyone had an early settlement of a small claim from Abbey?

No they seem to be acknowledging the claim a few days after it's issued now, (or at least they did with my claim and a few other people's from what I have read) advising they are defending which then gives them another 14 days.

OK, I've drafted a response to Abbey's GOGW - could someone more knowledgeable and experienced than I take a look at it please and let me know if I need to change anything?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Lloyd Henry

Senior Customer Relations Manager

Abbey National Plc

PO Box 5885

Milton Keynes

MK10 1FA

12th March 2007

Response to Gesture of Goodwill

Dear Mr Henry,

A/c no. XXXXXX XXXXXXXX

Thank you for your letter dated 6th March 2007 and for the £100 “Gesture of Goodwill” that has been credited to my account. I will accept it as part settlement of my claim.

You may not have been aware that I commenced legal action against you for the full amount plus interest and costs on 5th March 2007, claim no. XXXXXXXX, and I would ask that you now refer this matter to your legal department for further instruction.

I wish to stress that I do not accept the “Gesture of Goodwill” as settlement of my claim, and the money transferred to my account should not be viewed as my acceptance. For the avoidance of doubt, I will continue the legal action for the return of the balance of the claim.

Yours sincerely,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should I also send a copy to Triton Square, where all previous letters have gone?

And, reading Maiejader's thread this morning, I think I may have screwed up on the N1 - instead of sending 3 copies to the court, I sent 2 and KEPT one for myself, so it doesn't have a court stamp. Is this going to be a problem, does anyone know?

Thanks.

Alexted, perhaps you just need a few words to say why you are pressing on. What about amending middle para to

You will wish to note that, since your responses to date have singularly failed to justify your assertions that the charges were enforceable in law, I commenced legal action against you for the full amount plus interest and costs on 5th March 2007, claim no. XXXXXXXX. [delete the bit about referring to legal departments - that's their problem LOL]. HTH Regards, Mad Nick