• Tweets

• Daft question - but you filed the defence on-line on MCOL as dx indicated, right?
    • We looked up the e-mail address so communications would be in writing.  If you do stuff on the phone the other party can just deny the contents of the conversation.  They can't deny what's written in an e-mail. So time to sort Pete out.  Check the following for accuracy and change anything I've got wrong.  Then e-mail Pete this evening.  I was thinking of threatening the pub with legal action but let's initially be nice.   Dear Pete, Re: PCN no.XXXXX, claim form no.XXXXX on 23 July 2022 I was a customer at your pub and I attach proof of purchase. I was picking up my cousin Ms XXXXX and her family as she was working as a cook with you at the time.  I entered the pub through the back door, went to the bar, and ordered a drink and a meal.  At no point did any bar staff alert me that I needed to add my registration number or did I see any signs advising me to do so.  I then took a seat outside in a small seated area so I could chat to my cousin while waiting for her to finish work.  We were joined by the management of the pub and bar staff during my time waiting  I was shocked a few days later when I received a demand for £100 from Civil Enforcement Ltd.  i contacted the pub and was told "don't worry, it's not enforceable". Well, that information turned out to be nonsense because I have now received a county court claim form from CEL. I contacted the pub again on XXXXX and was extremely disappointed to be told "there's nothing we can do". Of course there is something you can do.  You are the organ grinder.  You called CEL in.  You can call your dogs off.  Your pub has absolutely superb reviews on Google Maps regarding the way in which you treat guests.  Do you really think customers should be dragged to court?  I'm sure you don't. I am therefore requesting that you intervene and instruct CEL to cease court action. Yours, XXXXX
    • Thank you - Defence has now been filed Doc_20240501_182920_Redacted.pdf
    • The US central bank has left interest rates unchanged again, noting a "lack of further progress" toward lowering inflation.View the full article
    • Hurrah! We got there.  After asking four times about the defence you've answered. To win this you will have to be a hell of a lot more pro-active and get reading up.  The standard defence is on every single claim form thread here. So first task for the evening. Go to  https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/393251-received-a-court-claim-from-a-private-parking-speculative-invoice-how-to-deal-with-it-hereupdated-dec-2021/ Scroll down to  Q2) How should I defend? There is the standard defence. Change (6) into (7) and add a new (6). 6.  In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. Get if filed this evening.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

JackG - V- Barclays Bank

JackG
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5769 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

ok cheers saintly 1 - but do I need T&C's from when I opened the acc in ??1987 or do I need T&C's from 2000 when I cam claiming from - not sure which question you have answered above as I posted 2 one right after the other

thanks Jack

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok cheers saintly 1 - but do I need T&C's from when I opened the acc in ??1987 or do I need T&C's from 2000 when I cam claiming from - not sure which question you have answered above as I posted 2 one right after the other

thanks Jack

Ideally you should include the T's & C's for the period when you opened your account, cos this is what Barclays use in their defence.

"at the time of opening the account the claimant was made aware...blah blah blah.

I would just get the closest ones you can

Personally I dont think you will need them anyway, its just another procedure to keep things on the straight n narrow.

http://www.findmadeleine.com/

http://news.sky.com/skynews/madeleine

If I dont reply to a direct question please feel free to PM me.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, well here we go again, getting bundle ready to print as it needs submitting tomorrow, have just read a thread below which mentions BBC Commission conclusion should be included in the bundle, but I can't find it anywhere, can anyone give me an idea as to where to find it please???

really need it urgently!

thanks

Also, I can't find Barclays T&C's from 1987 as that it when the account was opened, anyone got one from then or maybe just after that

a link would be appreciated thanks!

BBC NEWS | Business | The Money Programme bank commission is that the one you want ?

Havent heard of any T&C's about that are that early. My account was opened them but I will be using the ones from when it turned into the Additions Account in 1996 plus a few others from the years of my claim :)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/101412-document-library-work-progress.html I know you proberbly have this link to the T&C's but just thought i would give it just in case :)

cheers saintly 1 for that. I have already printed off the T&C's from when it changed to Additions Acc and that is in my bundle.

well ready to number now and copy, could be a long night

thanks a lot

ok guys, have today posted off 2 x bundles. one for court and one for barclays litigation team as on wednesday it will be 14 day deadline for receipt of bundles. have been reading other threads and realise Barclays seem to be asking for a stay! Does that mean an attendance at court in 2 weeks time for me or what. despite numerous emails to PQ we have had no response from him. Don't know whether it is worth calling him later this week to ask for settlement or not, it seems that asking for a stay is obviously another delaying tactic. Can the Judge rule decide if they get a stay or does it automatically happen due to OFT case coming up.

Does anyone know when the big case is going to happen or are we awaiting results of their investigations as I can't seem to find out anymore info.

Anyway, had a feeling something like this wold happen to us, just our luck. Been watching all other threads along the way and see success after success and just as we reach the last hurdle, bumph! stopped in our tracks.

Never mind, lots of us in same boat it seems. Just our hard luck!

The start of the test case is in January and from what i have read will last months rather than weeks and may/will go to an appeal if banks lose..then how long is a piece of string!

As for the stay issue, Judges have to make an order to stay a case so this cannot be done automatically by virtue of the test case announcement. However, it seems that certain judges in certain courts have already made their mind up and made the order to stay cases, hence letters have been sent to claimants stating this before the hearing.

I know how you feel, Quinn was due to pay me on the day of the announcement and my hearing is on Wednesday. I am looking to avoid the stay, up to now the court is not staying cases and has not received an app to do so.... so we'll wait and see

Hi Jack,

I've been away for a few days so just catching up with your posts. Hope you had a good break.

As you can see the whole scenario has changed and it would seem that the banks have the whip hand at the moment, thanks to OFT and FSA. (Office of FAIR trading is a contravention of the trades descriptions act for a start, there's nothing fair about this!)

This link may help if you have to apply for a stay, Jack, just adapt it to your circumstances.

If you already have a court date, it should be taken to court with you alongside your usual bundle and witness statement so you can argue against a stay if one is proposed.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/17065-application-removal-stay-updated.html

It is said that the Master of the Rolls gave judges discretion over stays, but said they should be considered individually on their merits. It would appear that some judges are ignoring this and issuing 'blanket stays' . However, you are entitled to ask for a removal of stay if you get one.

It's a beggar ,Jack:( -you being so close to completion as well - but stick with it. 8)

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

A little bit more Jack, for your

info:http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/108430-stays-info-guidance.html

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi Johnnymitch

The above links are much appreciated. I could not believe the news when I returned from holiday as I had not read papers or heard anything the whole two weeks I was away. So to read up on what was happening was a sickener, to further that, yesterday we received from barclay's a standard pre-printed letter (that will most likely be sent to every customer in the process of taking them to court) advising that they will be applying for a stay and a leaflet giving general frequently asked questions and answers (their versions of course). I then rang the Court to ask have they received the stay request in writing yet or did they think Barclays would just appear on the day and reqeust one. They said most probs B's would appear on the day of my hearing and request a stay and it would be up to the Judge sitting whether a stay would be decided on. If however, they wrote to the court requesting one before the hearing and the judge decided on one then I would be notified in writing before the case and the case would be cancelled. In other words, if I don't hear anything I have to go along on the day!

Bummer or what? Can't believe our luck to come this far down the line and be stuck like this. waiting what? 12-18 months for the outcome??

Your links are brill, will most certainly be using them and taking them along with me. Do I submit to Judge on the day of the case should we get there, or do I post to his earlier, don't quote know what to do.

Anyway, yes had brill time, didn't want to come home and back to the daily grind, but don't all hols get you like that? Well, will just be plodding on I suppose but will keep you all posted to latest happenings.

thanks again yr advice, you are truly supportive and its all appreciated

best wishes Jack

Glad to be of help , Jack.

I think we're all feeling our way a bit now, but it really depends on your local court I think, and their tolerance of the banks playing the system.

The way I read it is, if you are notified of a stay you have 7 days to contest it. However , if you are actually in court when a stay is awarded, you can try to have it removed there and then. However, it would help to have to have your 'stay removal arguments' to hand, together with a precis of what you had sent to the bank over the period, and the lack of response you had from them. I think most of this is in the leads I sent you.

I just hope your court is sympathetic to you, Jack - or it could just be a case of riding the storm.

There is loads of support around, Jack - stick with it , Girl - it's still your money. icon7.gif

Nemo me impune lacessit

Sorry Jack I nearly missed this bit:

Do I submit to Judge on the day of the case should we get there, or do I post to his earlier, don't quote know what to do

You can only apply for removal of a stay when you have been notified that one has been granted - so you can't ask the court in advance if no stay is in force

Nemo me impune lacessit

With regard to the precis I mentioned Jack , something like this would be OK I think (courtesy of Auburngreeneyes on HSBC forum, I'm sure she won't mind) :

Hand delivered request hsbc telephoned

Hand delivered typed

Copy of claim No Response

22.02.2007 No Response

28.02.2007 No Response

Mcol claim filed

01.05.2007 defence submitted

Letter to DG No Response

Email to DG No Response

Email to DG No Response

Email to DG No Response

10.05.07 received from court notice of transfer

Letter to DG No Response

15.05.07 letter of allocation and order arrived from court

Letter to DG recorded delivery

Copy of previous email No Response

It'll show how hard you have tried tov keep this out of the courts

Nemo me impune lacessit

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/76679-johnsworld-barclays-bank.html

Read thread 93 on this link Jack - it's not mine incidentally, but it'll give an idea of Question & Answers to be prepared for - not to mention the sneakiness of the banks! Another day or another judge and it could have gone the other way :)

Nemo me impune lacessit

Are you OK Jack? Or have I blown your fuse with too much info? LOL ;)

Nemo me impune lacessit

Hi Johnnymitch

I'm fine and thanks for asking. Hope you are too.

Anyway, no my fuse not blown YET! but theres time, I can tell you. Dreading 23rd Aug, my day in Court and yet read ICY thread re' list of courts and their decisions over stays - and my court happens to be one of them that are issuing stays until outcome of OFT case! Why haven't I been informed in writing, seems total waste of time going to Court on 23.8 to be told that stay is decided by DJ. Am debating whether to ring them Monday and advise them again that I have been notified in writing by Barclays that they will be asking for stay and as all cases have been stayed at that Court even though I have not received Barclays defence as yet, will mine not be automatically stayed and if so, why has court not advised me in writing. Is case cancelled or what?

Your links above are great by the way, will be catching up on some reading this weekend to try and get up-to-date with it all, just been so busy at work and at home and sort of realised that my case will not be going ahead at the moment. I think in all fairness, courts should have decided to play case by case at this stage, but any new claims should be stayed, as we haveput so much work into our bundles etc. it doesn't seem fair when Barclays have not even acknowledged ours, never mind submitted their bundles.

Well, if anyone else reading have not heard from their courts until case date re' stays, pls let me know.

cheers johnnymitch again for your valued input, best wishes JackG

Johnnymitch, just finished reading johnsworld v barclays, didn't he do well, wish he could come to my court case and speak for me also, his daughter should be very proud of him.

it doesn't seem fair when Barclays have not even acknowledged ours, never mind submitted their bundles.

There you go again, Jack, using that word 'fair' - you should know by now that's not in the vocabulary of the FSA, OFT, FOS, or most courts at the moment . :rolleyes:

Incidentally, have you had time to sign the Downing St e-petition that's open at the moment Jack - apparently it' s getting thousands of hits every day. Every one counts and only people pressure will shake this lot to get something done about it :

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/announcement.php?f=7&a=108

and:

Petition to: follow the Bank Charges Reclaiming Charter, which aims to end both the current suspension of reclaiming & the financial misery caused by unfair penalty charges.

Let's know how you get on if you phone the court please, Jack . It's a funny time for everybody at the moment, sort of uncharted waters, but we'll all help each other if we can. :) Keep your chin up !

Nemo me impune lacessit

Hi Johnnymitch

Thanks for the above links, yes signed the petitions, here's hoping they do some good for one and all!

Received letter from Court yesterday which reads as follows

IT IS ORDERED THAT

1. The claim is stayed until one calendar month after final judgement in the test cases (including any appeal) or 31st October 2008 whichever is the sooner.

2. Either party may upon notice to the other appy to lift the stay at any stage up to the earliest of the two dates provided for in paragraph 1 above.

3. if no application is made to lift the stay or seek further directions before the earliest of the dates provided for in paragraph 1 above the claim shall stand dismissed without further order.

4. Because this order has been made without considering representatives from the parties, the parties have the right to apply to have the order set aside, varied or stayed. A party wishing to make an application must send or deliver the application to the court, (together with any appropraite fee) to arrive within 14 days of service of this order.

5. The case listed for hearing on 23rd August 2007 is vacated.

In other words, my case is stayed and I don't have to attend the court on 23rd as the case no longer exists until results from OFT case is finalised.

I think I must then apply to the court within one month of the finalised date to carry on with my case??

Need advice from Moderator please if any on line tonight - thanks a lot

No, only received letter yesterday from Court, and it appears that DJ Howard considered the papers with neither party attending and he has stated that ' upon it appearing that the issues in this claim are identical to those likely to be the subject of proceedings in the Commercial Court between in the Office of Fair Trading and certain financial institutions (the test cases) pursuant to an agreement made on 25th July 2007'

So although I got standard pre-typed letter from Barclays over a week ago saying that they would be applying for a stay, it seems that they must have been going to apply on the actual court case date, however, the DJ has pre-empted that and applied a stay anyway.

Reading through other threads tonight, it seems others have appealed their stays, some have recieved another court hearing and some haven't, but I think my local court is one of the courts that won't lift the decision and is awaiting the outcome of the OFT case, so I really think I'll be wasting my time well and truly!

Think I'll have to bide my time like hundreds of others and await outcome also.

thanks yr help Saintly1, much appreciated

Hi Saintly1 - just a point from Jack's last- if the defendant hasn't asked for a stay, can the DJ apply one anyway? If so, will it not be easier to have it removed , on the grounds that it wasn't asked for?

Also, surely the banks have to pay for each individual stay request @ -is it £35 or £65 a time?

Nemo me impune lacessit