• Tweets

• OK, all done as requested. Defence left blank for now. Just one small question in relation to the CPR31:14.... Please treat this letter as my request made under CPR 31.14 for the disclosure and the production of a verified and legible copy of [each of the following / the] document(s) mentioned in your Particulars of Claim: and it says * delete if not mentioned in the Particulars of claim. I'm not  sure if I ask for everything or nothing as I can't see any of the list mentioned in the POCs
    • Fund management firm Allan Gray also said giving Nationwide's members a vote on the £2.9 billion buyout would have been 'a much better path'.View the full article
    • A Swiss pressure group says some staff at Shein suppliers are still working excessive overtime.View the full article
    • Let me start by saying I feel tremendous regret, shame and remorse. I have some debt and personal life has fallen apart over the last year which has caused me to be careless. Doesn’t make it okay I know. In a positive way, i will never take anything in life for granted ever again. I want to volunteer and go back to being a good person. I need some advice/reassurance on the below so I can move on better from this experience. A few days ago I was caught at sainsburys, I paid for part of the food (about £5) and didn’t pay for the other (about £8-10) at self checkout. when I got to the exit someone in plain clothes asked to see my receipt and bag and that they worked for mitie. I told him the receipt was in the store bin (true) and he said he followed me round and knows I didn’t pay for all of it. he very sternly but calmly said he just needs my name then I can leave with the shopping. I said i am in a bad day and can’t do this and was on the verge of breaking down. So I handed him the shopping and slowly walked out. No name given (I read elsewhere this is good and makes it unlikely to develop) and I have no way knowing if police contacted. I overthink a lot and I wonder if they can track me via debit card or nectar card on the transaction. I also wonder if they saw me do it last month and have been waiting for me. I know someone who works at their head office and terrified somehow it will get back. I’m also terrified of being recognised in the street.    I don’t know what’s going to happen. I see a lot in the news today about shoplifting 
    • Hi, I’ve just spotted an Arrangement to Pay marker (TransUnion) on my Barclays Mortgage account for 1 month in March 2022. I’ve spoken to Barclays Customer Service and Complaints about this and they’ve given me some background but have closed my complaint: Direct Debit for mortgage bounced in February and I didn’t notice this at the time. Realised there were arrears in March and called customer service straight away. Offered to pay half the arrears on the call with the other half of the arrears the following month. I prob suggested or accepted this as had done that many years previously when I was a poor student with no adverse consequences. Paid in accordance with this. Barclays call notes report they informed me credit reference agencies would be notified and I indicated I understood. However, complaints team couldn’t access the call because it was too old. They advised I could request a transcript through GDPR and complain via ombudsman if still unhappy - I’ll process the GDPR request this week. Whilst it may be factual that I entered into some kind of arrangement regarding the arrears, it wasn’t clear to me that they would be treating it and reporting it as a formal payment plan along with the potential consequences of this. At no point did I agree to or request to “reducing my contractual payments” - I paid my contractual amount for March and April with 50% more on top. I guess it’s likely they did say something vague about credit reference agencies and it’s also possible that I may have agreed without fully understanding it would be different to a late payment marker. I’m not 100% sure of the impact of the AP but I believe it did tighten up balance transfer and new card offers (Lloyds group in particular) even though the rest of my report is spotless and I have many years managing multiple high balance cards. Although it may have been less comfortable, I also believe I had the means to pay the balance in full if I’d realised the impact at the time. Finally, it feels like Ive been penalised for speaking to customer services directly rather than just upping my payments to cover the arrears. Historically, I was under the impression that Barclays mortgages weren’t even reporting arrears of less than 2-3 months as late payments - although this may have changed since the last time I was in arrears. I’ve had a browse through threads about AP markers and it seems like removal is unlikely if it’s deemed factual but it may be worthwhile escalating to FOS or ICO? Will update with transcript details once I’ve raised and received a response to my request. I suppose the upside of this is that I’ll be even more cautious about negative markers in the future. Thanks, J
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

FergalThang v HSBC

FergalThang
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6269 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Evening all,

Thought I would stop lurking and actually post!! I have followed what I can only describe as the invaluable advice on this board, so thanks to each and everyone of you. :D

I am about to fill in MCOL as letters have been sent, responses received from our good friend Mr Langdale, but alas, deadline has passed and no offer has been forthcoming. :rolleyes:

Sooo.....

I think I have everything straight here, just one question that is throwing me somewhat, as it seems different threads suggest different things, either that or I am just confusing the issue... However, once the MCOL is submited, do I then have to send copies of correspondence off to MCOL to be added to the file, or do I just wait to hear from DG and then send off my bits and peices? Any advice would be gratefully received!! :confused:

Send 2 copies of your schedule of charges, clearly marked with your claim no. + a brief covering letter asking for them to be filed with your claim to:

The Court Manager,

Money Claim Online

Northampton County Court

21-27 St. Katharine's Street

Northampton

NN1 2LH

Dear Sir/Madam

(Your Name) –v- (Bank)

Claim No: ********

Date Issued: xx/xx/xx

Please find enclosed a schedule of penalty charges taken from me by the defendant, along with interest claimed at the annual rate of 8% pursuant to section 69 of the County Court Act. The interest in addition to the amount in charges equates to the total amount of my claim, namely £(AMOUNT).

I respectfully request that the enclosed schedule should be attached to the particulars of my claim.

Yours sincerely,

Wait until you receive the Notice of Acknowledgement (not the Notice of Issue) from the court and then send a copy to the bank’s solicitors, since they are the ones who will now be dealing with your claim

Dear Sir,

(Your Name) -v- (Bank)

Claim No: ********

Date Issued: xx/xx/xx

Please find enclosed a copy of my schedule of charges relating to the above claim.

Yours sincerely,

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

Morning all,

I submitted the MCOL back on 22 of January and have a couple of quick questions if I can!!

The status online was changed to Acknowleged on 24/01/07 and I received the notification that they intend to defend a couple of days later.

As things stand, it is still only showing as acknowleged as at this morning. Am I right in saying that if they do not enter a defence (which I am assuming will show online where it currently says acknowleged), can I then start judgement through MCOL? Which by my calculations would be on 19/02/07.

If so do I need to at any point request that the court is changed to a local court and do I need to file any additional papers?

I have not entered into any corrrespondence with DG, other than to send them copies of the schedule and previous correspodence with HSBC. Reluctant to do so at the moment as given that it appears they have not entered a defence, I do not fancy encouraging them to do so!!!

Any advice at this stage would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks,

FT.

hi ft

everything is as it should be at the moment. the status will change to 'defence' at the last minute on 19th. you'll then receive the defence and aq.

everybody is working 2/3 weeks behind, so even if you hit the judgement button on mcol (if it lets you), the court will probably give hsbc 7 days further to submit their aq. all a bit hit and miss at the mo - don't worry though - we'll all get there in the end!

netty

• Haha 1

If i've been helpful in any way....then tip my scales over there!

Netty,

Thanks for the info, thought I was doing ok, but just wanted to check to be on the safe side!! Better, keep some cash aside for the aq :x

Have just requested 6 years worth of statements on a Llyods TSB credit card as well so shall be shortly going through it all again!! Fun and games!

Cheers,

FT

I will be holding out for every single penny!!! Will let you know as soon as anything changes, looks like they are holding out as long as possible before entering a defence though!! :mad:

It does seem that way, I still haven't had a defence posted. When I faxed over the calculation sheet I pointed out HSBC made two offers; £2000 and £3000 and I declined both!!!! I want it all, and I'm going to get it........ Although it's very frustrating waiting!!!!!!!!!!!:-x

Hi All

FergalThang can't get on today so I am asking on his behalf

HSBC have not entered a defence yet, They have until 5pm today I assume.

If they don't enter the defence today, and he asks for the judgement to start, What happens next?

Any advice much appreciated :-)

Hmmm, yeah, appears that my company have blocked access to the site, funnily enough a bank!!! :evil:

Anyway, it seems I have done my maths slightly wrong and didn't notice that the 28 days in which they have to reply is from the date of service which is 5 days after the date of issue....... :confused:

So, if I issued on the 21st Jan, then they have until 24th February to enter a defence. Does this sound right or am I reading it all wrong??

Cheers!

Well, the allocation questionnaire has landed!! :p

Mine has to be submitted by the 11th March, which is a Sunday :rolleyes: However I am away from the 8th so will have to file on the 7th.

I seem to remember some people getting an N150 to complete, but mine is an N149, without sounding lazy, what exactly is the difference?

Ahhh gotcha!!! it just seems far easier to complete that what you are presently faced with netty!!!

It looks like there will be 4 or 5, if not more, people who's queastionnaires are due in at the same time.

Did you get yours filled ok or leaving it 'till the weekend?

as you well know, i had a bit of a stressful start to the week!! so i've put it to one side and am going to concentrate on it at the weekend. it doesn't have to be filed until the 4th (sunday) so i'll be sending it off on 2nd for next day delivery i think - it'll get there on the friday then.......

then the fun begins.... dg hate me, can't think why - i've been very pleasant to ALL of them hehe

If i've been helpful in any way....then tip my scales over there!

Well thanks to everyone on here and their assistance, I have now received a full settlement offer from D&G, so thanks again to each and every one of you.

There are a couple of conditions attached, as per usual, the obligatory confidentiality clause and also the one below......

They have said that my accounts have been passed to metropolitan collection services limited and therefore any sums paid in settlement will be set off in reduction of your outstanding debt.

Now this is causing me some confusion (and might confuse anyone who read this post before I edited it!!), as I do not make any payments to metropolitan collection services nor do I have any account with them that I am aware of!!!

I did have a managed loan that and having looked into this it would appear that the debt was sold to a company called Intrum Justicia, whom I now make payments to. Am I right in saying that as Intrum Justicia have, presumably, bought the debt from HSBC and are nothing whatsoever to do with them? As opposed to metropolitan who appear to be a recovery arm of HSBC? Do certain debts get held with MCS and others sold or something like that?

I appreciate that I can tell them that I wish the cheque made payable to me etc, however I am slightly concerned if they are saying that the I have debt is with MCS.

Cheers!

Oh yeah, and when returning the offer letter, should I return it without signing advising what I do not agree to. Or, should I delete the bits I dont agree to and then sign it?

Ok have done a bit more digging and they are talking absolute nonsense about the Metropolitan Collection Services. It would appear that I did pay them a monthly sum back in 2000, but nothing since!!!!

Have drafted up a letter of response and would be grateful if anyone would add any thoughts on what to add or remove.

D&G Solicitors

12 Calthorpe Road

Edgbaston

Birmingham

B15 1QZ 24 February 2007

WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Dear Sirs

I acknowledge receipt of your letter dated 22 February 2007 and your settlement offer of £xxxx.

I am willing to accept your offer as full and final settlement for this claim of bank charges made on my account between xxxx and xxxx. However I cannot agree to the further conditions of acceptance that you have attached to this offer, namely HSBC seeking my confirmation that this payment will be treated as confidential.

I am not prepared to agree to any confidentiality clauses you try to impose, unless of course your client wishes to make an offer of due consideration in addition to the amount of £xxxx, in order to be afforded this privilege by myself

Furthermore, I would like to take the opportunity to point out that I do not have any accounts, nor do I hold any agreements or have any outstanding debt with Metropolitan Collection Services in relation to any accounts previously held with HSBC Bank Plc.

As this is the case I would respectfully request that payment of the aforementioned sum of £xxxx be made payable by cheque, drawn in favour of xxxx, issued to the address quoted above and that the terms of offer be accepted as amended in the attached signed offer acceptance.

I will be willing to withdraw my claim and will send a Notice of Discontinuance to the Court upon receipt of unconditional full settlement of my claim.

If confirmation of your acceptance and full payment is not received within 7 days, I will proceed with submission of the Allocation Questionnaire, which will result in a further £100.00 being claimed in addition to the sum quoted.

Should you not accept my own conditions for acceptance or choose to withdraw the offer of £xxxx, plus any additional costs which may arise, please be aware that I shall be left with no option but to continue with my claim through the small claims court.

For the avoidance of doubt, I wish to stress that I do not accept your offer under the terms stated in your letter and have amended the enclosed offer of acceptance accordingly.

I trust that you will find this arrangement acceptable.

Yours faithfully