• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

xlr8r_y2k v's First Trust Bank

xlr8r_y2k
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5625 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just starting a thread to keep you up to date with my claim against the First Trust Bank.

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 9th January

one other question, I have 2 accounts with FTB, one a single account which I am claiming the charges back on and one which is a joint account which has never been 'out of order' so has never had any charges so no claim there. Do you think the FIRST TRUST will close my single account or indeed might they close our joint account also?

Thanks

xL

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know for a fact they closed other persons accounts that claimed against them and would assume they would close all accounts. I would set up a parachute account to be on the safe side. Also when I opened a new account with another bank they refused to give my details to my new bank as I had an overdraft, so you can expect them to be awkward.

Eratu13

Data protection act letter sent ,received partial info with 2 days to spare.

Preliminary Approach for refund sent 19/08/06 standard delaying letter received 25/08/06

Posted Letter before action 06/09/06

NI Small Claims Online 22/09/06 filed claim for£1977 with interest and charges comes to around £2800.

Return Date 26/10/06

Court Date Adjourned at direction of Judge awaiting OFT/Competition Commision report due March

Again The FSA have introdued guidlines on "treating customers fairlY, I would imagine that there is a good case here against the FT as they are discriminating against anyone who has compalined and taken them to court.

A condition of FSA is " acting with integrity" and AIBS own mission statement talks about "transparency".

FSA and Banking Code also have guidlines and procedures on "switching " accounts to other institutions (the Ft are renowned for F***ing this up in ordinary circumstances).

I would advise that you are making a complaint to both the Financial Ombudsman and the FSA.

The banks CANNOT get away with this.Youre argument is that you are not against the charges pers se but that the level of the charges were applied unlawfully to your account i.e that they were disproportionate to the cost incuured to the bank.

The Consumer Council are already making life difficult for the BIG 4, contact them as well (write a letter and just copy all these organisations in on them).

Dont forget that the main banks in Northern Ireland make 40% of their PROFIT from charges.

And that Ulster Bank admitted that their charges were not cost reflective but cometitively set ( i.e they are not that dissimilar to the others)

Hope this helps

Bally35

recived ackowledgement from First Trust of my S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) on 12th January, standard 40 day letter.

Also have now opened parachute account just in case.

xL

Hi xlr8r_y2k, good luck! i have already sent my LBA and now awaiting their agreeable reply. The northrn has until the end of the month and then i am online court.

nervous.

recived ackowledgement from First Trust of my S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) on 12th January, standard 40 day letter.

Also have now opened parachute account just in case.

xL

Hi xlr8r_y2k. Good luck. I have already sent my LBA letter to the northern and if i have not received settlement, then i'm off to court claim at the end of the month. I have yet to open a parachute, and i guess i'm still gullible in thinking that there will be a nice closure on all of this.

nervous

• 1 month later...

received letter from FTB today confirming receipt of my prelimary approach for payment (£2700odd) , letter sets out their complaint procedure, 5 days to acknowledge, 4 weeks to investiagte, 8 weeks to get back to you blah blah blah.....

I set the timetable NOT them, will wait the 14days and then send my LBA.

Hi xlr8r_y2k, the Financial Ombudsman ruled that the A/L ,in closing a certain lady's account after she pressed charges against them for unlawful bank charges, as an abuse of power and she was awarded £125.00 compensation! I still am not going to open a parachute account and if they threaten me with closure I'll pursue that as well. It IS indeed an abuse of power and I will not have my rights threatened because I cannot avail of my democratic right to protest!

nervous.

I havent opened a parachute account either.9although do have another account that if push came to shove I could use)

I will not be bullied by this lot, and if they close my current account, then they will lose out on my mortgage, insurance , , credit card etc.

The banks in Northern Ireland are exceptionally arrogant and culturally we are unwilling to challenge anyone in a big suit (look at all our politicians for gods sake, we vote those eejits in)

I think thats why there are so few from Norn Iron on this forum.

It takes a lot of guts to challenge them

You are so right! We have our mortgage with them too! Ours comes up for renewal in May and we will be looking for a bigger mortgage at one of their newest products, so I am not going anywhere, although my hubby is afraid that they may not give us this new mortgage as a punishment. Well, if they do that we will go to the papers, go to the T.V. media etc etc etc.

nervous.

erm Does your husband know that you are talking about media? LOL

Just thinking what Mr Bally's reaction would be (then again he is used to me constantly arguing with various organisations).

I think that I have an issue with authority (just realised what my school report meant many years ago)................

Me too! I was always a rebel, fighting for a cause, as long as the cause is a just one! I was always in trouble, let's get 'Mary' to do this etc etc. and nope, my hubby doesn't know about the media threat. In fact he didn't even want me to pursue this and i wanted to do it a year ago! He's glad now, but it's really me who is dealing with the whole thing, i just get him to add his signature to the letters and he then panics inside.LOL.

nervous.

God ye must be married to the twin of my husband.

But am thinking that Mr Bally will have no problem spending the refund and my success will become "our" success!!!! lol

Then again his background means that you don't argue with yter superiors etc.

Weird thing is that he is probably smarter than me, but maybe its the multi tasking element of this he can't cope with!!!!!!!!!!!

We will hopefully not be holidaying in Northern Ireland this year when I get our stolen property back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I'm reading a clone of me!! Yippee!! i just read out my thread re; media etc to hubby and he looked at me with panic in his eyes, pale face and in total silence. But hey, it's always me, cos he says that i am so good with legalities and the command of the English Lang. Maybe not in typing but yes, i guess he does have a point!Lol.

You do know that we've been offered a settlement figure for this claim? Read my thread, i'm just waiting for it to be lodged before i cancel my court case, they have until the 16th March.

nervous.

Yeah Nervous,

Everything seems to have happened so quickly for you.I am delighted for ye.

I also assume like me that you didnt do typing at school.

I am reclaimimg PPi from First Rust, Have ssent final response , which I am now taking to Court or Ombudsman , just a few wee issues to sort out first (may have breached CCA 1974, AND THUS WHOLE LOAN UNEnFORCEABLE).

Also successfully claimed PPI back from Ulcer Bank (that only took two weeks).

And am now claiming charges from First Rust, who have mucked up at every opprtunity.

Head is very fried!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder how many wives/partners are doing all this , without that much support from their other halves.

I have just imagined that look on Mr Nervous, Funny I see it a lot too!!!lol

Tell him he'll be grand especially when he can start buying some boy toys ( Mr Bally is already planning stuff for our boat)

Mrs Bally is planning holiday, shoes and oh yes more shoes!

Hmmm! It may seem it was pretty quick, but actually it started in November and because this forum has advised me of the pros and cons, I've been expecting every step. This has not been as straightforward as others, who seem to have received their payments after their first letter, I still had to file for court. My second claim however, may well be facing a dispute from the bank, but then again, i am prepared. I have all my court bundle saved on my pen drive and all i have to do now is draft out these charges and attach to the claim form, so all in all the process will have taken roughly 5 months!!!

nervous.

guys and gals-you don't need to be brave,you need to be "thran"-any non NI people looking in,it means pig ignorant(not as in stupid) and as stubborn as a mule....banks here are only acting like this because they have been getting away with it for years.

I don't like to blow my own trumpet,but I can tell you I heartily scunnered

the Northern bank until I got my £5K back.They had been screwing us when times got tough,and I can tell you that payback was mighty.

Don't forget-no one(apart from MI5 and the like) is above the law.See when these weasly replies come in saying that they'll look into it etc etc,write asking them why they are continually abusing and clogging up the legal system in NI,and backing out at the last minute.Because I can tell you,the judiciary are starting to get mighty fed up with it,and would love the chance to actually hold a hearing against them to sort this out once and for all.

Tell them you know of numerous cases where thay have had to go as far as filing defences to claims,and where they always always always back out...put them behind the 8 ball.

• Haha 1

Nervous, tis not what I meant in that so many of these things are ongoing for ages, especially when banks file defences.

LTWFB's case against Citi very nearly put me off claiming.

But its very heartening to have "thran" (how very tyrone) people like him and yourself here.

It does give heart to the rest of us!!!

But I am always delighted when anyone gets their money back.

I have worked in a number of Banks (which is now like saying ye are a lady of the night), and feck me it was only ever the "big noises" who got charges etc refunded......................

Oh how have times changed

You're dead right, lickthewallfatboy! They are so arrogant, with their 'cockothewalk' and their sneering attitudes! We were in the same boat last year, and would they listen? Oh no, just told us not to go overdrawn and then refused to extend the overdraft and what did they do?? Yep! You guessed it! They charged us £25.00 per pop!! Even though it categorically states in their 'helpful'guides, if you have difficulty in finances, please speak to your bank manager! Bah, Humbug!! As Charles Dickens would have said.

nervous.

Nervous, tis not what I meant in that so many of these things are ongoing for ages, especially when banks file defences.

LTWFB's case against Citi very nearly put me off claiming.

But its very heartening to have "thran" (how very tyrone) people like him and yourself here.

It does give heart to the rest of us!!!

But I am always delighted when anyone gets their money back.

I have worked in a number of Banks (which is now like saying ye are a lady of the night), and feck me it was only ever the "big noises" who got charges etc refunded......................

Oh how have times changed

A few years ago, they charged me for going overdrawn and I accumulated about £100.00 in fees in 2 weeks, so I was sooo angry, i wrote a complaint letter to their Personnel Dept and I got my money refunded! The same happened last year, I lost my business and I was being charged left right and centre, and I hate to admit this, but I was so angry that when i was speaking to the bank manager, i thumped the table and broke down in tears!! I didn't give a s*** who heard me or who saw me, it was sheer and utter frustration and he gave me £75.00 refund! B*******! to them I say! They see that through no fault of one's own and through just sheer bad luck and economic environmental situations which dictate, they point blankedly refuse to assist and yet, they stipulate in their golden books, that they are'pleased to assist' if you are in difficulty!!!!!:mad: So when I did ask for my bank statements, I ignored the manager as he stood beside the cashier, listening to everything asunder and demanded my entitlement to them quoting the Data Protection Act! No nonsense! Don't be afraid, LTWFB will tell you too, he did for me andthat's why this forum is BRILL,'cos we are guided through this step by step and from people who have experienced it all!

nervous

Try this one, which I discovered yesterday.

Ulcer Bank have unilaterally and without the 30 days prior notice required by banking code changed the date of my standing order from 31st monthly to last day of month.

This in effect means that payments which would have been postponed in Feb (due to there only being 28 days) and debited on 03 march are now debited on 28 Feb.

Now they have also changed pocedure so that cleared funss must be present in account on the day prior to s/o being debited.

With me so far?

No one in Ulcer could explain this when queried in December and said" it must be due to the new (rbos) system".

Letter of complaint away today, forwarded to the british bank association, FOS, FSA and General Consumer Council.

Whats the betting that this was deliberate, in order to

1. Screw charges out of those like myself who only have a current account to service the loan

2.The prior daay thing means that Ulcer bank ahs XXXX amount extra on their books for an extra day

Oh by Japers!!!

I am not taking this one lying down ,as after several calls today noone can explain why this has changed