• Tweets

• We initially raised a complaint with the finance company who told us that as its over 6 months the consumer rights act won’t apply and we would need to provide evidence of the problem being there at purchase. As we have only just got the report from Mercedes we haven’t been able to submit this within their 14 day timeframe. Is this not the case then? Thanks
    • The previously little-known Chinese-American businessman’s fortune was transformed by the British taxpayer through 11 government contracts worth approximately £4.3bn for lateral flow tests (LFTs) made in China and sold by Innova. Charles Huang says contracts generated $2bn (£1.6Bn) profit   The government fast-tracked the company after its British representatives sent a direct email to Dominic Cummings, the chief adviser to the then prime minister, Boris Johnson, in July 2020. And, a Guardian investigation has found, the fast-tracking of Innova was supported by the then chancellor Rishi Sunak’s team at the Treasury. Innova became for a period of at least four critical months the only company authorised to supply rapid Covid tests in the UK, despite scores of others developing similar kits. At the time, the government spending watchdog raised concerns   Boss of US firm given £4bn in UK Covid contracts accused of squandering millions on jets and properties | Coronavirus | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Exclusive: Rishi Sunak’s team helped fast-track deal with firm founded by Charles Huang, who says contracts generated $2bn profit  
    • Welcome to the forum What makes you think that ?   Andy
    • We purchased our Mercedes in September 2023 from Doves in Horsham for £21000, paying half cash and half on finance. We also purchased warranty for life via Ramp as recommended by Doves. On 12th May 2024 the car failed to recognise the key and wouldn’t not open, the AA could not identify the problem so via our warranty the car was taken to Mercedes in Croydon. After 3 weeks the problem was finally identified as water ingress in the drivers side footwell which has corroded and blown various components. After further investigation it was discovered the windscreen was date stamped 2019 (all the windows are 2018 - therefore not the factory fitted windscreen) The leak has developed due to incorrect sealant being used assuming when this was replaced and also water leaking from the seam. The warranty company do not cover water ingress so we are now faced with a bill of £3635. As we are now at 8 months since purchase (problem started at just over 7 months) we are not covered by the consumer rights acts. Would we be covered Sale of Goods Act? We have all the reports for the works being completed but unsure if this should be taken to the finance company or Doves who we purchased the car from. Do we pay for the works and then try and claim it back or should they be paying? Any help would be much appreciated
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Employment Tribunal

Hello All

After spending 6 months trying to get £1,500 of unpaid wages from my previous employer and going through early conciliation with ACAS, I now have an Employment Tribunal date of 20 / 09 / 2024.

The Citizens Advice Bureau and posts on here have been really helpful, but I am unsure on a few points:

1) I have to send a document setting out how much money I am claiming - is there a template / recommended format for this?

2) Can I claim 8% statutory interest from the start, or is this just if they do not pay any award on time?

3) I was looking at getting a solicitor, but the estimated fees are £4,000 to £6,000 - would I be able to claim these fees from my employer if I win, presumably I would have to pay if I didn't win?

4) If I don't get a solicitor, I believe I can claim £41 per hour preparation time - how hard is this to prove / claim?

I will probably think of other questions later, many thanks in advance for any responses to my questions or any other suggestions / advice.

Best Regards, Scott

Can I ask how you were not timed out with an employment tribunal if you have been in dispute for six months?

The reason why I ask is that recently submitted a claim in the county court for unpaid wages as was timed out a claim with the tribunal service? You only have three months to submit the claim from the cause of action.

There are no costs awards at an employment tribunal, let alone statutory interest.

You have to do something really dumb to end up with a costs order such as refusing to follow court directions.

Hi,

If you are getting advice from CAB it's best to stick with them.

Getting advice from 2 different sources will cause conflict/confusion so It's best that you stick to the CAB as a pose to using this forum.

People on here are volunteers and whilst we're happy to help, getting help from two sources at once isn't very good use of either places resources.

I wish you the best for your case.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you today?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

Thank you for your responses.

I brought my claim within the required period; I have now got my tribunal date 6 months after the incident first occurred.

To clarify, I meant I have been researching the CAB website, I have not actually spoken to anyone about this matter due to workload and fear of being landed with a bill.

Best Regards, Scott

1. sample schedule of loss - that's the official name for what you are claiming

WWW.CITIZENSADVICE.ORG.UK

Find out what to put in your schedule of loss and see an example of a schedule of loss for an unfair dismissal claim

2. 8% applies from the date of the award

3. That's what usually happens. Different rules apply if your claim is deemed vexatious.

4. "If you want to apply for a preparation time order, warn your employer you’re going  to ask for one before the hearing. At the hearing, you’ll need to write down how many hours you or an unpaid adviser has spent on the case and multiply it by the hourly rate. You'll also need to give the reasons why you're asking for the order."

Just keep a tally e.g. 

1 May, completing form X, 30 mins

3 May, bundle prep, 2 hours

• Like 1

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Thank you Emmzzi for your thorough response, that is extremely helpful.

I will submit my schedule of loss using the suggested template.

As I have to submit the form before I can speak with my solicitor, am I able to add on a generic phrase such as "plus any legal fees, to be determined"?

Best Regards, Scott

There are no legal fees at an employment tribunal or litigant in person's costs unless the claim is vexatious or contrary to the direction of the court. Normally, the presiding judge will infer if you have a case or not in continuing. 8% interest is only paid as previously stated post judgement if the defendant fails to pay any monetary award.

Might I suggest you seek advice for the CAB or local community law centre?

Remember, an Employment Tribunal is a court of law the same as Magistrates/Crown court with legal procedure and you need some basic legal knowledge how to conduct a claim. The court will not help or advise you and can only go on the evidence presented. You will have a trained professional with the respondent.

whitelist your comment isn't very helpful. Advising people to get advice from two different places is possibly the worst advice you can give in a situation like this.

• Like 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you today?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

I believe it is helpful to seek guidance from a range of places and decide on the validity of the sources and frequency of responses which are most helpful.

A single voice can be a dangerous thing. As, of course, can groupthink.

Scott, it feels like £4k on a solicitor for a £1.5k bill is overkill. Were we back in time I'd suggest small claims court as your claim sounds like it may be straightforward? By all means add that phrase on.

I also suggest you contact the court and go and sit in on a couple of similar cases to get a better understanding before you shell out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all of your advice. My previous employer has indeed employed a solicitor to contest my claim and has sent me numerous legal documents which I am struggling to read on my mobile phone, so will borrow my mates computer. They are requesting a postponement of the original date agreed due to a member of HR at my previous employer going abroad for a holiday!, and are requesting a preliminary hearing.

I have since discovered that two other ex-employees are also taking them to Employment Tribunal, but am unsure of the details.

Unpaid wages should be pretty straightforward if you did the work. Don't be intimidated. You need only show you were due money, and did not get money.

The risk is that they have no money to pay you (and legal fees) - frankly a solicitor maybe be costing them more than your claim is for and I might have expected them to make a commercial decision to settle before this point regardless of the merits of the case.

Thank you again Emmzzi for your insight. Not only did I do the work, but as a maths tutor delivering financial literacy workshops under the Govt Multiply project, the college were paid £400 for each student I recruited, which makes it an even bigger kick in the teeth!

I spoke to Citizens Advice Bureau on Friday who advised me to go back to ACAS for advice and assistance, as ACAS are the experts in employment matters. They did also mention small claims court, as being more straightforward and less complex, but surely their solicitor would just contest this and I would lose the £80 court fee? If I did submit a claim through the small claims court, would I just leave the employment tribunal running until the outcome?

The deadline for me to submit my schedule of loss is tomorrow, so I will submit today so that they cannot hold me in breach.

You need to choose between ET and small claims, you cannot do both.

For straightforward wages I'd go small claims. Faster and less messing about. Advice here

WORKINGFAMILIES.ORG.UK

Some types of employment-related claims can be brought in the civil courts, rather than in an Employment Tribunal. This advice page offers a high level...