Big Motoring World Leeds/Blackhorse - vehicle not as described

Hi all,

I purchased a car in January from Big Motoring World Leeds.

At the time of sale I was shown a tab on the salespersons computer marked 'service history' and I was able to take comfort knowing that the car had been serviced on 3 occasions as the date, mileage and company was there on screen. Being a 3 and a bit year old car that, in my mind, constituted full service history 🤷‍♂️

collected the car a week later.

Once home I settled down to through the book pack etc. Opened the service history booklet and it was completely blank. In addition there were no invoices detailing that any services had been done.

I duly contacted BMW and asked them to supply me with proof of service history. They responded saying that on their 'vehicle documentation checklist' I had ticked and then signed to the fact that I had seen the service history and that I was happy with it. I dug out this checklist and what it actually states is 'seen service history online' which I had in the showroom.

BMW seem to think that this satisfies their responsibility in providing service history. The reality is that I don't have any proof that the vehicle has ever been serviced!

For my own peace of mind I ended up paying for a service that satisfied the manufacturers maintenance schedule to the tune of £330.

I even complained to the finance company that the vehicle contravenes the Sale of Goods act 2015 as l, in effect,  is not as described. Amazingly they weren't interested and instead I just got an email stating that it's not illegal to sell a vehicle without service history and that servicing costs were part and parcel of vehicle ownership. I've since complained to the ombudsman and am awaiting to see if they can help.

I have no issue with the car but the treatment and customer service has been the worst I've ever experienced.

I don't really know what to do next as I really do feel aggrieved that I've had to pay to service a car that should have already been serviced.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please? 🙏

Hi Baldilocks.

Welcome to CAG.

I've done some minor formatting edits to your post to make it easier to read for people on mobile. Try to keep to 1 or 2 sentences max before creating a line break in your post.

It's the Consumer Rights Act 2015, not the Sale of Goods Act 2015. The Consumer Rights Act 2015 superseded The Sale Of Goods Act 1979 and the latter does not apply as I imagine this purchase was made after 1st October 2015.

Can you confirm the make and model of the vehicle? Some vehicles have their service history stored within the on board computers now or have it available to view online at any point.

How did you pay for the vehicle? Finance (what type), Debit/Credit Card etc?

I would argue, that should the above points not be correct, you would be right to claim that the goods are not as described under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi, no problem at all.

It's a Vauxhall Grandland X and I can confirm that the service history is not stored in the vehicles computers or online.

The vehicle is financed through Black Horse on a PCP.

Thanks,

Steve

• dx100uk changed the title to Big Motoring World Leeds/Blackhorse - vehicle not as described