eBay parcel worth £265, booked via Parcel 2 Go, 'lost' by Evri

Ooops - one to many also s..... my draft reply should read as: 

Thank you for your response Mr Schnur 

I set out my position quite clearly in my letter of claim and nothing has changed.

Your insurance requirement is unlawful and is contrary to section 57 of the Consumer Rights Act, and also section 72 of the same statute. I would also refer you to the outcomes in PENCHEV v P2G (225MC852) and SMIRNOVS v P2G (27MC729). 

My deadline for action - 1 May 2024 - still stands, and if P2G wish to avoid the addition of court costs and interest to my claim, you may wish to respond positively before that date.

That's fine. My taste is for something rather more brusque and that he won't forget – but it's your letter

The other thing is that you are making a big mistake imagining that they are at all concerned about wasting court costs et cetera.

They are only concerned about being obstructive and discouraging others.

Thanks Bank – I took your cynicism / experience on board and responded thus:

Thank you for your response Mr Schnur 

I set out my position quite clearly in my letter of claim and nothing has changed.

Your insurance requirement is unlawful and is contrary to section 57 of the Consumer Rights Act, and also section 72 of the same statute. I would also refer you to the outcomes in PENCHEV v P2G (225MC852) and SMIRNOVS v P2G (27MC729). 

My deadline for action - 1 May 2024 - still stands.

Natalie, whom I assume works for Mr Schnur, emailed me to advise that "Please be advised that Parcel2Go.com is not an insurance broker and is not backed by any. We do not offer any kind of insurance policy on any of our services. We give all our customers the opportunity to cover their goods to a preferred value so that if a claim does arise, we are able to compensate them. All our claims are self-certified, and we are not a regulated company." (full copy of her email attached) 

I responded: 

"
Good afternoon Natalie 

Have you read my email below? Are you aware of the court cases of PENCHEV v P2G (225MC852) and SMIRNOVS v P2G (27MC729)? In both cases it was held by the courts that there was no need for additional ‘protection’ on top of the standard delivery charge, and P2G were required to settle both cases (by then also incurring court costs and interest) in full.
This will happen again with this case if I am not recompensed in full (£265 + £9.10 = £274.10) before 1 May 2024.

Tick tock, tick tock……"

22Apr24 - email from P2G responding to my email to Schnur of 19Apr24.pdf

• Like 1

Channell J in Prudential v Commissioners of Inland Revenue [1904] 2 KB 658 gives a broad definition of insurance.

Digital Satellite Warranty Cover Limited [2011] EWCA Civ 1413 confirms that extended warranties are insurance must be regulated.

Over 90% certain that the parcel delivery companies parcel protection schemes are "insurance" and that they are unregulated and therefore the parcel delivery companies are committing an offence by selling it.
Regulated means that the insurance is authorised but possibly exempted from certain conditions by the FCA.

Notice that on all the parcel delivery companies websites, they are at great pains to avoid using the word "insurance". But in all probability that is what it is.

A defence to the offence of selling unregulated insurance is that you exercised due diligence and this would mean that the parcel delivery companies would have to show that they had sought and received counsel's opinion that what they were doing is completely lawful.

The fact that they are selling unregulated insurance to a certain extent is a sideshow because it still doesn't permit an exemption to section 57 of the consumer rights act.

So in other words, even if it was regulated insurance – they would still be contrary to section 57 of the consumer rights act and also section 72 as it is an attempt to limit or exclude liability for failure to exercise reasonable care and skill

And Mr Schnur has responded to my email reply to Natalie:

Good Afternoon ****, 

Thank you very much for your email regarding the above mentioned shipment.

I am very sorry for the inconvenience experienced with your order.

Please note that we will not be able to increase the compensation as suggested by yourself as you have not taken out any protection to fully cover your parcel's true value.

We are currently in the process to liaise with the courier to see whether they can conduct some depot and lost property searches for you.

We will get back to you as soon we have heard back.

Kindest Regards

David Schnur

Dear XXX

Reference number XX

Thank you for your message of XXX date.

They had better hurry and find it because I will be issuing proceedings on XXX date as promised.

Believe me

Thanks Bank - I've just sent the following:

Dear David 

Thank you for your reply advising you are liaising with Evri. 

They had better hurry up and find the missing golf clubs, because if they fail to do so I shall be commencing legal proceedings against P2G on 1 May as promised.

And in other news, I've been in contact with the original buyer of the golf clubs in Cardiff, who received the empty box a month after I despatched it. Unfortunately he has disposed of the box, but before he did so he took a couple of photos showing the cut/torn end through which the clubs were obviously removed. I wrapped the package, especially both ends, with yards of strong, black duct tape, there is no way it would have split.....

22Apr24 - photos of cut or torn box.pdf

• Like 1

Send that also to the guy who's looking for it and tell him that this is what will be produced in court

Today's email from Mr/Mrs/Ms S Fernandez of the P2G Claims Dept advises he/she/they "have looked into your concerns and understand the parcel was received damaged by your customer." As a result they "have agreed on this occasion only as a matter of goodwill without prejudice, to make an offer of settlement for £100.00"

I replied to him/her/they that (a) the parcel was not received damaged, but empty and (b) that they have until next Weds, 1 May to recompence me in full or the court case will commence.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

classic P2G.

I'm sure dianne and Lesley will pop an email to you at some point.

Edited by jk2054

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you today?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

In anticipation of lodging my court claim next Weds 1 May (14 days after advising P2G that was my deadline for them to settle my claim) I have completed my first draft POC as below:

Claim

Claim number: xxxxx
Reference: P2G MAY 2024

Claimant
xxxxx

Defendant

Parcel2Go
1A Parklands
Lostock
Bolton
BL6 4SD 

Particulars of Claim

The defendant has failed to arrange for the safe delivery of the claimant's parcel containing a 8 secondhand golf clubs (valued at £265) that was sent to a UK address using their delivery service (P2G Reference xxxxx). The defendant contracted Evri to deliver the parcel (Evri Reference xxxxx) and refuses to reimburse the claimant on the grounds that the claimant did not purchase their secondary insurance contract. The defendant seeks to
exclude their liability in breach of section 57 Consumer Rights Act. The secondary insurance contract is in breach of section 72. The claimant seeks reimbursement of £265, plus P2G fees of £9.10, plus postage costs for two first class letters to P2G of £2.70, plus court fees, plus interest.
The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from xxxxx to xxxxxx on £276.80 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of £xxxx

Details of claim

Amount claimed £276.80

I look forward to your thoughts and comments guys!

As ever, many thanks - G59

Yes that looks fine. It is to the point. I think somewhere in the that the you might want to point out that your parcel had been delivered but clearly had been opened and resealed and the contents had been stolen

Thanks Bank - I shall tweak my draft and repost.

And here's today's ridiculous email from the P2G 'Claims Dept'

Good Morning, 

Thank you for you email.

Unfortunately we would be unable to pay the amount advised in your previous email. 

When you placed the order, you were asked for the value of your parcel, you stated that the value was £265.00. At this stage the booking advised that you were covered to £20.00 and to enhance this to £260.00 you could pay an extra £13.99 + VAT to fully cover your item for loss or damage during transit, you declined to fully cover your item. 

Towards the end of your booking on the confirmation page, you were then offered to take cover again, to which you declined again. 

Unfortunately, we would be unable to offer you an enhanced payment on this occasion. 

If I can assist further, please do let me know. 

Kindest Regards

Claims Team

and my response

Good Afternoon 

Do you not understand the court cases of PENCHEV v P2G (225MC852) and SMIRNOVS v P2G (27MC729)? In both cases it was held by the courts that there was no need for additional ‘cover’ or ‘protection’ (or whatever you wish to call it) on top of the standard delivery charge, and P2G were required to pay up in full for both cases, which by then also included court costs and interest.

I shall be including copies of both those judgements in the bundle I submit to the court next Wednesday 1 May, unless you settle my claim (£274.10) in full before then.

Tick tock…..

• Like 1

no i meant the email from parcel2go

which email address did they send it from and who signed it off (whos name is at the bottom)

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you today?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

Morning guys

As Bank suggested, I've now re-worked my POC to include details of my parcel's original loss,  miraculous rediscovery a month later and subsequent delivery, albeit having been opened and the contents removed. Grateful for your thoughts please, as (P2G having gone very quiet) I intend to initiate court proceedings against P2G tomorrow - 1 May.

Claim

Claim number: xxxxx
Reference: P2G MAY 2024

Claimant
xxxxx

Defendant

Parcel2Go
1A Parklands
Lostock
Bolton
BL6 4SD 

Particulars of Claim

The defendant failed to arrange for the safe delivery of the claimant's parcel containing 8 second-hand golf clubs (valued at £265) that was sent to a UK address using their delivery service (P2G Reference xxxxx). The defendant contracted Evri to deliver the parcel (Evri Reference xxxxx) and whilst Evri collected the parcel for delivery on 18 March 24 they then ‘misplaced’ it a day later, formally declaring it lost on 27 March. On 16 April they found it and delivered it on 17 April but, at some point before delivery, it had been opened and the contents removed . The defendant refuses to reimburse the claimant on the grounds that the claimant did not purchase their secondary insurance contract. The defendant seeks to exclude their liability in breach of section 57 Consumer Rights Act. The secondary insurance contract is also in breach of section 72. The claimant seeks reimbursement of £265, plus P2G fees of £9.10, plus postage costs for two first class letters to P2G of £2.70, plus court fees, plus interest.
The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from xxxxx to xxxxxx on £276.80 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of £xxxx

Details of claim

Amount claimed £276.80

• Like 1