• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

ECP PCN Rental Car - paid by app - no receipt - appeal refused - Mayfair - Achilles Way

1 Date of the infringement 17/11/23

2 Date on the NTK [this must have been received within 14 days from the 'offence' date] 23/11/23

3 Date received 27/11/23

4 Does the NTK mention schedule 4 of The Protections of Freedoms Act 2012? Not sure

5 Is there any photographic evidence of the event? Yes

6 Have you appealed? [Y/N?] post up your appeal] Y

Have you had a response? [Y/N?] post it up Y

7 Who is the parking company? Euro car parks

8. Where exactly [carpark name and town] Mayfair - Achilles Way

For either option, does it say which appeals body they operate under.

BPA

There are two official bodies, the BPA and the IAS. If you are unsure,

please check HERE

If you have received any other correspondence, please mention it here

A bit of a tricky one this.

I'm posting this on behalf of my father/brother.

Father was with a friend who had rented a car and father had paid for the parking.

You can see the call log and the payment taken from the statement attached.

Later the rental company sends my father's friend the ticket they received from ECP.

My brother who's a kid "appeals" it, obviously getting rejected.

Now they think my brother who doesn't even have a license was the driver and are bugging with letters.

I know the first rule is not to appeal but they didn't know and now I'm here seeking your help to clean up this mess.

Thanks

docs1.pdf

I checked with paybyphone but they didn't give me a receipt, they claimed they didn't have the record of it.

But the money was taken out, the call was made, and until now no money has been refunded

so safe to assume it's been paid for.

Safe to ignore then I'm guessing? 

the rental company forwarded it to the renter who then sent it to my father/brother.

My brother then appealed it because they had call logs/payment taken from bank account and now they think my brother was the driver.

The last letter was sent on 31/01/24 so safe to assume it wasn't paid. 

I don't think so, after my brother appealed they've been sending him letters instead. 

The only thing I can think of now is that perhaps because it was paid over the phone the registration was given incorrectly?

But what are the chances that location info and bank info is given perfectly but the registration isn't?

In the paragraph in bold on the letter dated 12/12/23 they said they require a VAT receipt and whatnot, how do we get that lol

Understood, with regards to my brother's appeal he did it via ECP website so he doesn't have a record of it. Ultimately he showed the call log and so on but there's no record of the original appeal form submitted via their website - thinking about it, quite sneaky isn't it?

22 minutes ago, Nicky Boy said:

Have ECP ever sent a revised PCN to the renter?

It should also include other documents provided by the rental company.

With regards to this, as far as I know only the original letter which I've shared. I will ask my dad to ask his friend for the full email as well and share once I receive it.

3 minutes ago, Nicky Boy said:

But, whatever you do don't let ECP know they've screwed up!

Not intending to contact them at all! But my lot are of the type that easily succumbs to fear of fake letters from lawyers and bailiff threats lol

@Bazooka Boo right? What's that all about. They really move like they are some mafia

• dx100uk changed the title to ECP PCN Rental Car - paid by app - no receipt - appeal refused - Mayfair - Achilles Way

@dx100uk Nothing left on the windshield. Is there any point in responding to the rental company now that the letters are coming in my brother's name? 

Thanks for updating the title, I didn't want to make it too long winded

Yeah, I get that. I don't live in the UK anymore and trying to manage this for the family because you guys have helped me out in the past with similar issues. 

Father's friend is a bit of a high-profile person so I feel it'd be too much to ask him to do all of this. If it was me or my family directly... a different story entirely. 

I did, however, get confirmation from my father that the friend didn't pay the "admin" charge they asked him to pay or anything else and hasn't received any other correspondence from the rental company or ECP.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey @lookinforinfo I'm not sure, I don't believe he told them he's the driver. He must have selected an option saying that he's appealing on behalf of the driver or something of the sort.

In more news, however, these wannabe thugs are back at it again. Honestly, what a joke.

In the letter they sent before this it said they had made "2 attempts" and in this letter they said "4 attempts", I wonder what happened to the "3rd attempt" lol. 

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-18 at 14.06.07_44abc9c8.pdf

I'm not sure what the "appeal" system asked but he said he definitely didn't indicate he was the driver so I'm just going to have to take his word for it.

Honestly, I don't think the hirer will contact them. I think my brother will tolerate it. I did have a similar experience with another company 6-7 years ago and sought advice on here then to which you guys told me to ignore, I got the exact same DRP letters and then a "Gladstones Solicitor" letter. 

After that nothing happened and it died away. Based on my experience with that I assumed the same would happen here but only asked to see if perhaps anything had changed since then. 

Hopefully it doesn't get to court but if it did, I feel like we have enough evidence to sway a judge who probably hates dealing with this type of nonsense anyway. Or maybe I'm too optimistic. 

Perfect, thanks Dave.

You're right, a whole dodo storm this has been. As sons of first-generation immigrant parents, whenever something like this happens the old man panics. There was a whole "appeal this now" because my dad paid for the parking as he was with the hirer at the time and he isn't as tech-savvy as my brother so he ended up doing what he did and because I don't live there anymore it came all the way down to this. 

But yes, we'll do this SAR and see what comes of it. 

Will keep posting here with the hopes that it may benefit someone in the future. 

Thanks again, everyone. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On the recommendation of Dave, I took the SAR template from CAG and scanned it over and adjusted the information relevant to this matter and sent it to my brother to print, sign and send. 

He signed it with the same signature he has on his provisional licence and he scanned and printed a copy of his provisional licence to prove identity/address.

Sent that tracked and then they responded with the most generic letter I've seen.

Clearly, they've anticipated people might do this and came up with nonsense.

They want proof of ID when we already sent proof of ID. Surely they're digging themselves a ditch at this point? 

2024-04-24 ECP SAR reply.pdf

Although this situation is mildly disturbing like a fly trapped behind the curtain on a warm day, your creative responses are always a joy to read, Dave.

Cheers.

Will send across.