• Tweets

• Hi, I am aware there’s been few threads about this already but just wanted to confirm information on my case. I was with Village gym last year on initial 6 month usual contract they do, I lost my job and due to that I couldn’t afford to pay for gym nor I had any motivation to go to gym at that time so they sent me arc phone message in September 2023 that I owed them £140 so I paid them back on instalments in 2 months time.  Then I started receiving new years deals in December 2023 and I decided to give them a call but they never mentioned anything about 6 month contract or anything, only that it would be monthly rolling contract and I paid them for 2 months and then I realised both months they charged me £59 instead of £38 they offered me on the phone when I mentioned that I am still student, even though before I was paying £43 a month in mid 2023. I spoke to gym entrance lady and she said I should give a call to gym on the phone number so I did and whoever answered said they’ll pass my info to manager and he will give me a call back in 24 hours, of course no one called me back so I called again and they said same thing. And of course once again no one got in touch with me so I got tired of them charging me more than they should and decided to cancel my direct debit and stopped going there as I got new job with rotation shifts which is not good for me as I cannot visit gym after I finish at 10pm every second week.  And now in April I received arc message saying this :  Also they have my old flat address where I used to live. What is the  best thing to do for me please? Thank you!
    • Richard Holden refusing ro answer Jon Craig's questions in a Sky pool interview and his spad argiung about the questions. As Jon said, not his finest hour.  
    • CCA to debt purchaser pap reply to sols with copy of CCA letter included  all as per post 2 in letter of claim thread 
    • If I go to court to defend my claim and will will my licence be unrevoked automatically?
    • Does this mean my driving licence is void now? 
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

PPL PRS/Pannone - claimform - unpaid auto rolled music performance licence for online Zumba Classes that closed months before rollover. *Claim Dismissed**

Beesnees
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 264 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Duplicate posts removed upload is fine.

Just copy and paste that link here with your responses although most of it wont be applicable to this type of claim.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• dx100uk changed the title to PPL PRS/Pannone - claimform - unpaid auto rolled music performance licence for online Zumba Classes that closed months before rollover.

Have you registered yet to use the on line response ? ...you must acknowledge service before next Tues 16.00.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Just make sure you acknowledge service on time and tick defend all...that's all of any importance for now. 

No you are sending and completing everything in your daughters name.

Yes you cant act or rather accompany but all the forms requests submissions must be in her name.....its her name on the claim form not yours.

Yes they could withdraw or discontinue but that is usually on the submission of a good defence. No a counter claim can still continue as a separate Part 20 claim.

With regards to the contract all moneyclaims normally rely on some kind of agreement or acceptance be if verbal or documented. A CPR 31.14 request can only request documents referred to within the claimants particulars. The claimant fails to mention any agreement or document but instead relies on current legislation IE Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988.

If you look at their particulars and break it down its quite vague yet careful if not misleading.

1.The Claimants claim is for £105 in respect of an unpaid invoice rendered on the 01 February 2023, issued by the Claimant on behalf of it's members to cover the public performance of musical works at the Defendants premises (as per the terms of the Copyright, Designs and Patent Act 1988) .

On behalf of its members is the salient point, is the claimant stating that it brings this claim because its been instructed by said member's ?

Member's of what ? The whole music industry ?  Who instructed them ? How have they or its alleged member's suffered any loss ? How can they prove she breached the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. ?

Obviously the claim is not based on an agreement so I see little joy in requesting or that the CPR 31.14 would render anything of value.

All points to consider when drafting your defence in which you will put them to strict proof to quantify and prove.

On 23/06/2023 at 14:58, Andyorch said:

Duplicate posts removed upload is fine.

Just copy and paste that link here with your responses although most of it wont be applicable to this type of claim.

Andy

I would advise you spend a little time researching this get rich quick outfit rather than arguing the process and advice we offer in dealing with the claim.

Keep your eye on your defence due date and start gathering information.

https://www.justanswer.com/uk-law/jwwii-having-issue-prs-the-company-provide.html

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=PPL+PRS%2FPannone&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

• Like 1

A CPR 31.14 request can only request documents referred to within the claimants particulars. The claimant fails to mention any agreement or document but instead relies on current legislation IE Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988.

Obviously the claim is not based on an agreement so I see little joy in requesting or that the CPR 31.14 would render anything of value.

I didn't say bin it, you asked could you ask for a copy of the agreement. they do not refer to an agreement but they do mention unpaid bill , do you have a copy of this invoice ? do you have a copy of the "the Terms " of Copyright, Designs and Patent Act 1988 ? Which they refer to and imply that they have been breached.

That's all they refer to in support of their claim. So I expect if you did utilise the CPR31.14 there would be little response but feel free to still send it and request whatever you wish.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Beesnees said:

Is not an agreement implied in the claim? No  Does not the PoClaim rely on the assumed existence of such a document? No only a speculative invoice So you're saying that the claim is based exclusively on a manufactured breach of the relevant legislation?  Yes If that's the case, do the points you raised above about 'strict proof' come into play in the CPR31 Request? No because CPR 31.14 can only request documents "mentioned /stated/referred to within the particulars not implied. See CPR 31 of the Civil procedure rules if you doubt me.

Yes, I have a copy of both the invoice on which the claim is based, and a full stmt of her a/c since inception. Both provide me with solid grounds for an unassailable counterclaim. Excellent and you also have it in writing that she owes nothing as per your recent post ? The legislation can [presumably] be found on-line, so making it the subject of the CPR Request would seem to be an exercise in futility and redundancy. Yes the legislation is readily available on line but they refer to " the terms "  of the legislation that this money is due and that is what their claim is based on .

Now here is the legislation they rely on ...you have a run through it and find which part supports their claim and which its based on  and how they arrive at £105.00

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/48/contents

The devil is in the detail Particulars of claim are drafted very carefully in a way not to admit any liability nor to give you anything to add to a defence we refer to them as vague and for that very reason. The same will go for an initial defence response which will not commit or admit liability but questions the validity of the claimant's claim.

Well by " terms " that's for you to determine what they refer or alluding to...there are no terms in that legislation that states a breach can be considered a criminal offence or imposed by way of a trumped up fine.

Criminal offences are considered or determined in Magistrates or Crown Courts ...local county courts deal with civil /family claims. This is a civil claim and the claimant is (from reading between the lines on the google search I posted earlier have never actually tried a court claim) so yours could be a test claim...but then they will not expect a defence to be submitted to test their claim so they may well discontinue once that is submitted....but lets see.

24 minutes ago, Beesnees said:

You mean that when I file my defence, I have to keep my best arguments in reserve for the hearing? No guns blazing? No firing on all 6 cylinders? Shazbot.

Anyroad, AoS now submitted - a day later than I intended. The jury is still out on whether I'll send that CPR Request. There is nothing they can disclose that I can't find out for myself, and it will in any case almost certainly alert them to an unexpected skill set on the part of the defendant. 

I want them to sleepwalk into a brick wall of a defence, and the less they know, the better.

You have a lot to learn...I would suggest you read a few topics by others on the process of defending a claim then we don't get to page 6 of your topic before a defence is even submitted :becky:

Actually I would send a CPR 31.14 as a general request for all intended disclosures on which their claim will rely upon as lets see how litigious they are and could possibly fire a warning shot that this will not be a default judgment with no response...they will already be aware you are defending by was of your AOS.

13 minutes ago, Beesnees said:

In fact, unless I missed the reply, I'm still waiting for clarification on a CPR31 query asked above: namely, is it appropriate in these circumstances to request a copy of the Notice of Assignment of the debt to the claimant's sol'rs, bearing in mind this is not mentioned (or ever likely to be mentioned) in the PoClaim?

Debt has not been assigned.

What will be helpful for later into the process if you could speak to your daughter and find out how exactly this agreement came about who approached who ? How was it agreed or entered into online phone etc ? 

• 3 weeks later...

What defence are you submitting ? Post a draft here first.

Not due until 4 tomorrow requires a bit of work...hold on.

Andy

Okay well I would add...

1. The Claimant has not complied with paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) Failed to serve a letter of claim pre claim pursuant to PAPDC changes of the 1st October 2017.It is respectfully requested that the court take this into consideration pursuant to 7.1 PAPDC.

2.The validity of the speculative invoice is denied. No copyright protected music has been played on the premises since the end of xxxx xxxx, when the claimant informed me that they were no longer able to issue license's for online fitness classes.The claimant is put to strict proof to evidence otherwise.

The claimant was informed of the cessation of my fitness classes at least dozens of times via their collection agents, but my representations to them were completely and consistently ignored.

3. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.

4. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.

The initial defence is stage 1 to see if they wish to proceed.....if they do then you will be submitting a further in depth statement as will they.

Lets see.

Are you not submitting on line through the MCOL portal ? 

Cant attach anything anyway...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/money-claim-online-user-guide/money-claim-online-mcol-user-guide#mcol-support

To be sent by email 

With the Subject heading defence with claim number

Send to email address

Claim Responses

Claim Responses

Complete Online at:

www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/@justice.gov.uk

There will be a counterclaim fee subject to the value of your Part 20 counter claim. I wished you would have included the CC in your draft defence as it must be laid out in a certain format to be CPR compliant.

True, the best way to claim is to counter claim at the expense of the claimants claim rather than a separate claim.

Andy

Yes please post a copy here for later reference.

Just names...we need amounts dates.