• Tweets

• Have we seen your court bundle?   If we haven't then it's probably an idea to post it up here especially the index page and the witness statement so we can see if there is anything which might need adding or changing 
    • "Care to briefly tell someone who isn't tech savvy - i.e. me! - how you did this?" Its pretty simple although not obvious. You open the google maps app > click your profile picture > Click Timeline from the list > click today > choose the date you want to see the timeline from. Then you'll see your timeline for that day. Often, places you have visited will have a question mark beside them where google wants you confirm you have actually visited. You either click 'yes' if you have, or you click 'edit' to enter the actual place you visited. Sometimes, you'll see 'Missing visit' This probably happens if your internet connection has dropped out at that time. You simply click 'Add visit' and enter the place. The internet on my crappy phone often loses connection so I have to do that alot.   OK dx, understood mate. 
    • I have now been given a court date vs Evri, 4th Sept 2024. I have completed my court bundle, when am I expected to send copies to the court and Evri and should it be in hard copy or electronic? The Notice of Allocation states that no later than 7 days before the directions hearing both parties must send to the other party their final offers to settle. Does this mean I will have to tell Evri what I'm willing to settle? Rgds, J
    • Ok how about this to the CEO? I know it sounds super desperate but lets call a spade a spade here, I am super desperate: Dear Sir, On 29th November 2023 I took out a loan of £5000 with you. Unfortunately very early into 2024 I found myself in financial difficulty (unexpected bills and two episodes of sickness and the tax office getting my tax code wrong resulting in less pay for two months) and I contacted you (MCB) on 13th February 2024 asking if there was any way I could extend the length of my loan to 36 months. I fully explained why I was requesting this and asked for your help. I did not receive a reply to that email so I again contacted you on 7th March 2024 to advise you of a change in my circumstances which resulted in me having to take out a DMP and asking you to confirm that the direct debit had been cancelled. You would have also received confirmation of this DMP from StepChange but you did not acknowledge receipt of my email. I have only managed to make one payment from my loan but did try and contact MCB to discuss extending my loan, help etc.  I have now therefore fallen behind on several of my debts, yours included, and as a result you have lodged a Cifas marker against my name for "evasion of payment", which has resulted in me having to change banks, which has been an extremely difficult process because of the Cifas marker. I do not feel you have been fair or given me the opportunity to fully explain my situation to you before you lodged the marker against my name. I appreciate it is a business and you have acted accordingly, but I did try to make contact to arrange alternative arrangements and at no point, not even to this day, did I ever intend to not repay my loan. I cannot stress to you enough how much this has affected my mental health. I am having trouble sleeping and my existing health condition has been exacerbated by all of this. What I would like you to do is to please, please remove the Cifas marker and let me make arrangements to pay the loan back through a DMP.  Please sir, I am begging for your help here. I am not a dishonest person and I have never been in a situation like this before. I am desperately trying to make things right but this marker is killing me. Please can you help me? I look forward to hearing from you. Yours faithfully,
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Problems with Laptop

Claus_hopper
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5756 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. I was if you could give me some advice about some problems I've been having with a faulty laptop.

I brought the product from Pc World in august (about 4/5 months ago) and I've had nothing but problem with it. In the first month, it completly shut down on me leaving m with the dreaded blue screen of death and a faulty screen. Pc world repaired that, but since it's come back it's been constantly turning it itself on and off at the worst moment. I've had to reinstall windows twice and restore it back to it's factory settings (because it wasn't registering the CD-drive, the audio devices or the inbuilt wireless). I've spend hours on the phone to Pc World helplines who just keep telling me to reinstall windows. I'm at my wits end.

I WOULD like a replacement rather than a refund or repair seeing as it's been repaired in the past and I'm a student that really can't be without a fully working Laptop for any amount of time.

The only problem is I left my reciept in halls, in plymouth and I'm in Birmingham and I can't reach the Pc World in Plymouth (no transport), but as I belong to the PC performance plan, I have all the evidence of the direct debit payments and my very clever mother wrote all the details of reciept (issue date/receipt number etc). Would that do as proof of purchase? Do I have any kind of case against them? I know that they can be pretty tough but if I know I'm in the right so can I!

What do you think I should do?

What you have is fine for proof of purchase.

Write to the manager of the store stating that the laptop is not of satisfactory quality or fit for its purpose, explain the faults you have been experiencing, therefore it does not comply with the terms of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended).

State that you have given them a reasonable opportunity to repair the laptop but that they have failed to do so satisfactorily, and therefore you are now seeking an alternative solution. Say that you would like a replacement laptop of the same spec. Give them a date to do this by. Keep a copy of the letter and get a proof of posting form from the Post Office counter when you send it.

Legally they can offer you rescission of the contract if it is cheaper than supplying a replacement (this is a partial refund accounting for any wear and tear you have had - although in your case you could certainly ask for a full refund as it has been pretty useless). However, a replacement would seem obviously better for both parties - they won't lose the business and you get a working laptop. So you should be able to push for this.

As you have barely had any decent use from the laptop due to its faults, you can pursue a new replacement or a full refund if you rescind the contract.

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Has the laptop ever been sent to PC Services or tech guys? Also which number have you called, 0870 242 444 is useless normally in my experience but 0870 901 3000 (Tech Guys is the best one) as they will book a laptop if it has a constant fault and will either repair it by fitting new parts or replace it if the laptop is deemed beyond economical repair, or goes over the 6 week rule.

As for receipts all PC World should be able to find them on there system by suing a Post Code and surname and normally can help more. Hope this helps.

Hi as above really, PC World's main helpline will be able to track a copy of the receipt from their system.

Completed:

Woolwich: Received £30

Intelligent Finance: Received £1100 after two years and approximately 20 letters, 6 pieces of hair and an eyeball.

Barclaycard: Received £90

HFC: Received £170

Seeing as this seems to be brought back from the dead will reply anyway

Section 48B SOGA

(2) If the buyer requires the seller to repair or replace the goods, the seller must—

(a) repair or, as the case may be, replace the goods within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience to the buyer;

Being a student you need your laptop everyday for your course and studies, sending the laptop for repair causes inconvenience in not being able to fulfill your course. You have also lost faith in the quality of the product you have been provided.

If they demand to repair it, say sure I also long as I can collect it by the end of the day, I need it for tomorrow. Trading Standards sudgest 2 repairs/replacements (as a guidance only).

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

i hate pc world every time im at their cust service counter there is a swarm of upset customers swearing never to purchase from them again. any way i bought a laptop for uni and it broke down i went to the store without reciept and they managed to print a copy. but they said i had to send to tech guys for repair? they have a service centre in store? i called they booked a courier to collect i waited in on the day, nothing, phoned them and the 'techguy' was so tech he said he couldnt tell me why no pick up but would rebook. to cut a story short after theyd had 3 weeks i went back in the store told them i need the laptop for uni they had messed me about enough and quoted the above 'fit for purpose' and 'significant inconvenience' after security was called and i was told managers were to busy to see me i eventualy got a full refund. two weeks later tech guys phoned to appologise for the delay my parts had been on back order but were there now and my laptop would be back to me in 2 days RESULT. so for once pc worlds incompetance worked for me.lol

Dear Sir,

If you are interested, 'Dont Get Done Get Dom' the BBC 1 TV program is looking for new contestants- see belowAre you being treated unfairly by a retailer, company, organisation or local council? Are you caught up in a bureaucratic storm or being wrapped up in red tape? Have you complained, but feel like you’re getting nowhere?

If your answer is ‘yes’, why not see if the BBC’s Dominic Littlewood can help you out?

“Don’t Get Done, Get Dom”, BBC1’s hugely popular consumer affairs programme, is back f or a second series and we want you to be a part of it!

Please contact us ASAP for further information.

Series Hotline: 020 7278 5052

Series Email: [email protected]

Please remember to leave your phone number when you contact us.

• 1 month later...

my hubby brought me a ADVENT laptop from (pcworld) yeik 7mths ago. On the day of buying it we returned it because it would not charge up. " mths later the new one 90% of the time startsup just before it finishes loading windows it turn off & takes about 30 more reboots to get it going. I phone tech did a system restore then collected to repair it. All they did was change the plug. Still it turns itself off & on so we return it & ask of a refund only to be told no we the store will repair it guess what still turns it self off and on. After quoting the Trading Standards act to them they still wont give me a full refund and again its of the the work shop . HELP PLEASE .......its only 7moths old

I may be wrong but if you read the SOGA it does state that you do not need a reciept as proof of purchase, nor does pc world have to issue you one in the first instance unless it is for VAT purposes.

Quote!! Taken from DTI fact sheet SOGA see FAQs Q7

http://www.dti.gov.uk/consumers/fact-sheets/page24700.html

• 1 year later...

I have a blog which is related to edited Kindly go through it you may find some useful information out there.

Edited by MARTIN3030
no links without permission

laptops why are you reviving a year old thread?

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek: