Blackcupraa vs Halifax ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6289 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

I have just today, started to approach my bank to request my bank charges in full.

I will be sending them the Subject Access Request letter tomorrow morning.

With any luck this should be sorted out quickly (but we all know it won't)

Anyhow just to let you all know today is when I start to fight back.

I'll report back as soon as I hear anything.

Wish me luck.

Hiya & Welcome

Please make sure you read, FAQ's & step by steps, plus other members threads, you will find by reading some of the things these lovely banks put us through, keep your thread updated, & if you get a bit stuck along the way, let us know what the problem is, someone will be along to help you out.

You wont need to be wished luck, but I will wish you luck anyway:)

Good Luck with Your Claim

Angi x

:) If I have been of any help, please click the Scales of 'Justice' in the botton left corner. ;) Thanks

Thanks for the luck Angi, as you can see I have been a member on here for quite some time but never posted, been more of a lurker than anything.

I have spent the last few weeks intensivley reading the FAQ's and also the majority of threads in this section, just to get a solid idea of what I need to be doing to get MY money back.

As a wee update, my letter got sent internally to Halifax head office via my high street branch. I have posted a recorded letter also, just so I know it got there and I haven't been tried for the fool.

Evenin' all,

Another update for you to mull over, My letter ha been responded to by Halifax Head Office stating that they will be sending me my statements.

And the other letter was from my local branch's assistant manager saying

"My understanding for your complaint is that you feel that these charges are unlawful, and you would like a full refund. I have forwarded your letter to our Customer Relations Department and you will hear from them shortly.

You will find enclosed a copy of our leaflet, which tells you how we will handle your complaint.

Your concerns will be dealt with as quickly as possible, but if you need to speak to me in the meantime please telephone me on xxxxx xxxxxx. "

Have any of you received this kind of letter before? Sounds like I may be in for a quick settlement (but I am not holding out much hope for that).

Pretty standard stuff actually, if you went via the branch then, out of courtesy, they will reassure you that it's being looked after.

It may be useful to keep the asst manager updated, and he/she can check with the right department internally if you have any queries?

It seems they have let their branches know what procedure is for these claims, about time too.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

You want to be using http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/182-6-interest-calculation-spreadsheets.html

Look for the simple one for England, you need to over-type what's already there with your own info, then print a copy off without the 8% column, to go with your letter.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

re: the 'Interest Debited' bits - I have claimed for those as well, and not had any comment about them not being part of it - over the 6 years it added up to another £70 for me.

HALIFAX

30th Oct 06 - 18th Jan 07 - Success in claiming £3617.95

HALIFAX 2nd claim

5th Mar - 16th Apr - Success in claiming £176

EGG (3 accounts)

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

17th Mar 07 - Paperwork received - bits missing

19th Mar - Non-compliance for missing bits posted

9th Apr - ICO complaint filed

BARCLAYCARD

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

21st Mar - Statements received

23rd Mar - Prelim posted

31st Mar - Offer for £30 rec'd

10th Apr - LBA sent

The way I read it - any interest entries marked 'notified' were part of my claim, any that were just 'interest debited' I left out as I couldn't easily prove they was caused soley by charges as I had an authorised overdraft for a while.

I took it that if they had had to tell me about additional interest then that was over and above what I would have normally paid.

Thats fine, it was only the "as notified" that I have included on my spreadsheet.

Quick question about the spreadsheet, what did you put into the "In Respect Of" column?? I have just put charges as notified, is this correct??

4 Hours work for over £1300 not too bad I think.

Which is probably about 3 hours, 59 and a half minutes more than their computer ever spent on slapping the charges on in the first place... :lol:

It can be a bit of a waiting game. They'll get your letter and may send one saying they'll reply to it before the earth freezes over, or a date close to that.

You may get an offer letter, or even a telephone call from one of the team handling the claims who will make the offer there and then. Be careful if they do, whatever they offer, ask for it in writing and say you want time to consider.

It is unlikely they will offer 100%, or anything close to that, in their first offer. They used to base it on the highest 6 months of charges within the last 6 years. More recently it's been the highest 2 years charges.

Offer or no offer, give them only the time you specified in your letter. They usually say it will take longer, but ignore that - they're trying to spin it out.

If you get an offer it can be worthwhile telephoning the person who sent the letter, their direct number will be on the letter along with a reference number you'll need. Haggle with them, tell them you're happy to go to court if needs be, but will give them chance to settle before those additional costs are incurred. They have been getting close enough to 100% for a lot of people on here, and they've settled for that.

Always follow your own timescale and send the next letter in the step-by-step instructions on time, unless there's some reason you shouldn't - like if you've settled of course.

Thanks to all the practise they've had with previous claims, they are getting better at the game and are settling more cases ahead of court. We all set out to claim back the charges they've applied. Only if it gets to filing a claim at court would you take into consideration the 'little extra' 8% the court will allow on top of your claim, plus a refund of court fees of course.

Looking forward to seeing yet another success in this thread!

• Haha 1

Your not the only one, tbh though I am excpecting to take it as far as the court stage, not for the 8% interest, but for the fact that the bank has tried to outdo me, and failed miserably.

But don't get me wrong if they sent me a letter saying they will pay all outstanding monies, I would take it in a heartbeat

Chances are that an offer letter, even if revised, will not be close enough to what you want from them. A lot of people, myself included, have taken to calling the person named on the 'final' offer letter to haggle a bit - with good results.

Mine actually worked out better than I originally claimed as they also wiped off the overdraft amount which had sat on a dormant account while all this was going on. OK, so they closed the account too, but there was no point me trying to use a Halifax account if they were able to keep dipping into it internally to pay card services.

Having said that, if you want 100% then it will probably reach court stage and they'll then have to refund your court fee and pay the 8% interest.

• 1 month later...

Well, it seems to have gone quiet for me for a few weeks, I have had some other things to sort out.

Today I have printed my LBA and will be sent Special Delivery tomorrow a.m.

I have only had 1 letter back from the bank, stating how concerned they were etc etc, and that I should hear back from them by end of Feb. With any luck they should have court papers on their desks by then.

Well, woke up this morning to see that the bank sent me a nice letter offering me £1338.08 as a full and final offer. This is the ammount that I am claiming back from them.

Bit undecided what to do, as they have charged me a few more times since I started claiming these charges back.

What do y'all think????

If you have had further charges in the time between letters, then I would add them. Might be worth a phonecall to that effect, say that thank you, you've offered me everything, but you've taken more charges out - what about them? They can either say 'OK' and add them on and refund you, or say 'No', in which case I would reject the offer, send another LBA with the new charges added and see what they do.

Must beat a second claim, as I've heard they do get really snotty then:)

HALIFAX

30th Oct 06 - 18th Jan 07 - Success in claiming £3617.95

HALIFAX 2nd claim

5th Mar - 16th Apr - Success in claiming £176

EGG (3 accounts)

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

17th Mar 07 - Paperwork received - bits missing

19th Mar - Non-compliance for missing bits posted

9th Apr - ICO complaint filed

BARCLAYCARD

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

21st Mar - Statements received

23rd Mar - Prelim posted

31st Mar - Offer for £30 rec'd

10th Apr - LBA sent

Hi there well what an interesting thread yours seemed to have gone through really quick, i cant get my bloody s/ments out of them really making me wait getiing really frustrared , doing things by the book i think a phone call may be needed to remind them. Good Luck noy that you need it

Regards Giggles

I Havent rang them or anything yet, so I am surprised at how quickly they offered to pay me straight away.

I am going to ring them on Monday and see what they say, regarding adding the extra charges to what they offer, and of course stating I do not want this to be a full and final offer.

Good luck Blackcupraa,

I sent my prelim off yesterday and found out yesterday afternoon that they have charged me again..:mad:.. I will be adding this on to my spreadsheet!

They getting no xtra off me anymore!

AtMoSpHeRiC

26/01/2007 = Requested 6 Years Bank Statements.

02/02/2007 = Received statements, charges £1,684.

02/02/2007 = Sent Prelim Letter recorded delivery!

:D

Well, woke up this morning to see that the bank sent me a nice letter offering me £1338.08 as a full and final offer. This is the ammount that I am claiming back from them.

Bit undecided what to do, as they have charged me a few more times since I started claiming these charges back.

What do y'all think????

Lucky you.. :o

They rec'd my LBA on Monday 29th Jan, and so far I've not heard anything from them..! I have to say that having read this thread, I'm now feeling a bit more positive seeing as you have had a quick response.

Once they settle mine, They'll be getting a second claim for another account, one for the other half's and also for the o/h Credit card - could be a prosperous new year after all... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Survivor

If you found my advice to be useful, then please click the scales to the left - Thank you.

Halifax - 13/01/2007 - Prelim sent

Halifax - 27/01/2007 - LBA

Halifax - 19/02/2007 - Filed N1

Halifax - 21/02/2007 - Telephone call from Halifax offering FULL SETTLEMENT (inc costs & 8% s.69) - RESULT!!

Advice & opinions given by Survivor are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.