• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Should we trust Sunak or the next PM to fix the Country's problems? (title revised 24/10/22)

Makes one sick to see this

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Monarch remains at Balmoral after appointing new prime minister

• Sad 1

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling: Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

On 07/09/2022 at 08:12, unclebulgaria67 said:

Clearing out the Johnson no.10 team is probably a sensible move.

Yep, if that is whats happened. I haven't looked at the detail yet.

If the speculation is true that Truss will sign off an economic package that will increase national debt by hundreds of billions, then I can see many Tory backbench MP's being very critical.

Yep, but while guaranteeing energy company record profits as stated in other thread as mitigation for them ... but still an issue.

Cutting taxes,

For who?

increasing spending on public services

What and where?

while also subsidising energy companies to keep tarrifs reduced

Subsiding profits while loading up the taxpayer debt mountain for decades to come, dont you mean?

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

The Tory Legacy

• AndyOrch changed the title to Should we trust Truss to fix the Country's problems ?

Until next time, the oil producers have already jumped on the bandwagon

The following is a rather rosy view, and the organised effort would be immense, BUT what needs to be taken into consideration is that this MUST happen, and those who are first will reap the benefits.

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Renewable energy infrastructure will cost trillions of dollars – but savings will recoup costs quickly

The Tory Legacy

3 hours ago, honeybee13 said:

Truss seems to have a long history with right-wing think tanks, some of which are opaquely funded.

WWW.OPENDEMOCRACY.NET

MP says Truss could be a ‘puppet’ for right-wing groups that have already generated a dozen of her policies

Despite some mistakenly calling me a woke leftie .. LOL

Some of those policies seemingly railed at by opendemocracy need examining and considering (in a proper form)

but fracking, and associated deregulation simply to ewnable profit for a few is the exact opposite of anything that is needed.

Childcare on the other hand is utterly unaffordable for many.

The Tory Legacy

• 2 weeks later...

Whats the difference between neoliberalism and free market low regulation thaterism?

Genuine question. Googling it, just like talking to people about it,  seems to give as many different interpretations of those labels as there are different people answering, and more seems to define the 'answerers' politics than the question

Have to laugh at all the claims that blairism was neoliberalism, when it clearly wasn't.

It wasn't traditional Red flag Labour, but certainly was NOT Thatcherism.

I consider myself a little to the left of Blair in a number of issues, and a fraction to the right in others.

Which undoubtedly makes me a lefty woke Thatcherite in many (rolls) eyes

But Johnsonism/Trussism (so far) appears to be lie and serve self'ism to me. All in an incompetent, dishonest and blustering way.

The Tory Legacy

35 minutes ago, honeybee13 said:

It's not a good look, is it? I see he's 'too busy' to go to New York with Truss now...

To busy to be arrested on arrival ?

Isn't this all part of the ramped up 'Russian funded Interference' investigation?

Apparently Russia spent £300 million in interfering in western elections - a days worth of spending on the Ukraine invasion, and FAR more effective.

Mind you, Johnson must be happy as more people seem to be saying 'Jesus, we thought Johnson was bad, but even The Liar was better than this' .. forgetting that all this corruption, deceit and incompetence expanded under him, and that Truss is really just a Johnson number 2

-BUT that of course ISN'T the binary choice we should be making,

which is: Jesus we need to throw these 'unPopulist Tory lying corrupt **** out of power for at least a generation.

The Tory Legacy

pelosi and Biden have both 'broadly' told the UK Guv that a deal aint happening until the UK gets off its 'we choose wether we honor deals we've made and will walk over whatever we like' stance

.. before making a deal that they will expect Truss to honor ... no matter how bad it is for the Uk

The Tory Legacy

The brexiters have a bit of something to find joy in though, being as they kept (falsely and/or stupidly) claiming that a weak pound was a bonus when it kept falling due to brexit and failure to get the all the benefits oven ready deal the brexit leaders claimed ..

Well, they must be ecstatic now that the pound challenged the last 30 year low of the ERM crisis, and that there is significant downwards pressure still on the UKP meaning more reason for 'joy for them.

... despite all the chunks of the UK debt mountains that have interest and payments based on the dollar .. meaning an instant benefit free increase in debt and interest charges

.. ALL as project fact stated.

Brexit - project Brex-hit - the disaster that just keeps on taking

as Truss says 'making the rich richer makes the poor richer everyone should be making the rich richer'

but its not 'trickle down economics' .. lets just call it a very select partttty

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

presumably more great news for Brexiters, if their word is worth the electrons they waste.

Today:

£1 - $1.13

A new 37 year low

Following are markets views worth a read:

WWW.POUNDSTERLINGLIVE.COM

Great expectations: The two successive 75 basis point hikes the markets are expecting from the Bank of England leaves the door wide open to an...

Matt Weller, Global Head of Research of City Index, details what to watch on the path to pound parity.

The Tory Legacy

Yet another brexiter oven ready, all the benefits Golden Goosing proven to be just another dead duck

- as project FACT stated.

- as a unified and independent Island of Ireland in the EU takes another step forward

Liz Truss accepts US-UK trade deal off the table, as Biden tells PM his problems with protocol move

No time for shopping at Bloomingdale’s or a stroll in Central Park during Liz Truss’s trip to New York City. The prime minister spent her time in the Big Apple scrambling to keep the special relationship alive. US president Joe Biden shared his displeasure over Truss’s plan to override the Northern Ireland Protocol, the White House made clear. Truss was forced to admit a post-Brexit US-UK trade deal was out of the question in the “short and medium term”. The PM did parlez on the protocol with EU chief Ursula von der Leyen in NYC, but there was no sign of new negotiations. Tory, Labour and cross-party peers have been plotting on how best to thwart the protocol bill in the Lords. One option is to delay it for nine months to give more time for talks – if they ever emerge.

Meanwhile, new Northern Ireland secretary Chris Heaton-Harris said he would have to call another Stormont election if no executive is in place by 28 October. The Tory minister warned that a pre-Christmas election is no “idle threat”. Yikes.

NI secretary Chris Heaton-Harris on new Stormont election:

“Is it an idle threat? I don’t think so. It is no threat at all, it is a fact that the legislation says that is what I have to do.”

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

I was on Talk TV this morning, and said that Labour had basically fixed the NHS by 2010, when the target for seeing a GP was 48 hours.

Mike Graham, the presenter, told me: “You can’t say Labour did it right and the Tories have got it wrong.”

I said: “Yes I can”

- John Rentoul

The Tory Legacy

markets so impressed with kwazi and truss's give taxpayer money to the rich budget, the GBP falls another 3%

FALLING UNDER $1.09

Wonder what shenanigans they are going to pull to try to prevent tha UKs gilt market from becoming a fascicle and expensive (to the taxpayer) embarrassment to them?

Putin must be laughing his socks off

Shows who was wrong here:

IEA.ORG.UK

The hit to the UK economy and the public finances from the pandemic and the persistent weakness of both investment … Continue reading "IEA...

The Tory Legacy

and the Uk income-petent guv lends another mountain of money as the return demanded (interest rate) on UK gilts hits highs not seen since the financial crisis, and the GBP v $ hits record lows meaning dollar based debt costs a lot more

"the cost of government borrowing in the 2022-23 fiscal year has rocketed by £72bn to £234bn – twice the size of the primary school budget."

Thats just the start now ..

The Tory Legacy

Brexit LIE claim

No one is threatening our place in the single market

Brexit Truth

There is no place in the single market for a 3rd country - especiaally one that doesn't honor its agreements

Brexit LIE claim

Oven ready EU deal

Brexit Truth

Trade war as UK breaches agreements it makes

Brexit LIE claim

Oven ready USA deal

Brexit Truth

No deal while UK breaches agreements it makes re NI

Brexit LIE claim

Less immigration and on a points system

Brexit Truth

Less migratory workers we need - more immigration

Brexit LIE claim

All the benefits, none of the costs

Brexit Truth

None of the benefits, more of the costs

The actualities all as predicted, and none as claimed by the Brexiter liars (or incompetents)

These are the actions of a Govt that knows its time is up…
- Full on raid of the public purse
- Enrich their donors as much as possible in time left
- Leave the treasury and national debt in the worst possible state for new Govt to sot out
Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Been saying parity with the dolar was a consequence of the Brexiters brexit since before the referendum

given the £ v $ tested $1.03 last night - I think it may have been an understatement.

I know its quite usual for Tories to rip the plebs off half way through an election cycle, but i think this is more than that.

They are quite literally scraping the dregs out of a bankrupted economy, and I think Truss expects to lose the next election, and the Brexiters are happy with that as they will then immediately start blaming Labour for the issues they have blatantly and wantonly caused.

The Tory Legacy

Actually HB, I think its more appropriate to say that the markets were quite shaken by Truss and Kwazis fiscal event

... and lets not forget it seems the UK Con crony traders who were briefed ahead of it all by Kwazi seem to have shorted the GBP (again) on the run up to it making fortunes on the pounds collapse.

(arguably Governmental Insider trading with cronys? - which will also have shaken the markets,

although Kwasi would claim its normal to brief 'markets - but they went on a short the pound rampage apparently - again - just like redwood allegedly did)

Given the Populist 'Torys have delivered squat on their Brexishit assurances, and have trashed the UK's markets and its econony. all thats left for them is rob the taxpayer to enrich their pals to ensure nice consultancy income from them when they get kicked out.

The BoE is in a difficult position now. What it needs to do is raise interest rates quite sharply, which will almost certainly hit all the folk who aren't on fixed mortgages, and all those who have hit the plastic just to pay their bills

I think the UK is in for an even rockier ride.

Just a couple of years of the hard right ERG in the driving seat with incompetent unconscionable patsy's at the helm and the UK has lost not just its financial standing, but its reputation.

Edited by tobyjugg2
  • Sad 1

The Tory Legacy

"The government's cut in the 45% tax rate will hand £1 billion to just 2,500 people, who each have income in excess of £3.5 million"

- Sam Bright

The Tory Legacy

If earning £200,000 you'll gain £5,220 p.a.,

If earning £1 million you'll gain £55,220

If earning £20,000 you'll get just £157

any populist cheerleaders want to explain why, with oil below $80 a barrel again, the UK consumers are still paying such high prices?

The Tory Legacy

Don't you think getting rid of him (like any oversight) enabled this?

He probably said 'don't be stupid, I cant support this' - so had to go.

Don't assume they don't know what they are doing ... they do.

The Tory Legacy

another change of leader with no GE

Johnson back LOL why hasn't he been at least pulled up for misleading parliament yet?

Tax breaks for the rich folk mean full coffers from donations ..

I think a lot of them want out and someone to blame - preferably Starmer - they might be in for a shock

The Tory Legacy

Populist Pound also tanking against Euro

Investment bank Goldman Sachs has slashed its forecasts for the British Pound, showing further losses against the Euro are likely and a retest of...

WWW.TRADINGVIEW.COM

View live British Pound / Euro chart to track latest price changes. Trade ideas, forecasts and market news are at your disposal as well.

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Its pretty basic, no way it can be simple incompetence

Edited by tobyjugg2
  • I agree 1

The Tory Legacy

I see that one of the investigations into Johnson (accuri while mayor) is a major cop-out and says 'the rules need strengthening' and didn't adhere to the Nolan principles. 

..Rather than 'He's a lying corrupt ****** who wasted taxpayer money and took his trollop on Mayoral trips at taxpayer expense while 'laying' the foundations for cronyism and VIP lanes in his government.

Johnson is rumored to have said ' I always adhere to the Nolan principals ' I'm always in the mood for dancing, especially at partys and I always want attention to me. 

As it seems lots of mortgage deals are being withdrawn and a VERY busy day in the finance sector with record bonuses expected to be upcoming

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

I see an (probably 90+% of the) interpretation of the likely reasons behind collapsing the economy is hitting the papers

Rather than just cut services, they put the country into a position where it has no other option,

like, and following on from  Johnsons attempts to burn all bridges to any EU partnership

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

In the US they call it ‘starving the beast’ – cut taxes and, as revenue decreases, you create irresistible pressure for austerity, says Adam...

• Sad 1

The Tory Legacy