• Tweets

• Well we can't predict what the judge will believe. PE will say that they responded in the deadline and you will say they don't. Nobody can tell what a random DJ will decide. However if you go for an OOC settlement you should still be able to get some money
    • What do you guys think the chances are for her?   She followed the law, they didnt, then they engage in deception, would the judge take kindly to being lied to by these clowns? If we have a case then we should proceed and not allow these blatant dishonest cheaters to succeed 
    • I have looked at the car park and it is quite clearly marked that it is  pay to park  and advising that there are cameras installed so kind of difficult to dispute that. On the other hand it doesn't appear to state at the entrance what the charge is for breaching their rules. However they do have a load of writing in the two notices under the entrance sign which it would help if you could photograph legible copies of them. Also legible photos of the signs inside the car park as well as legible photos of the payment signs. I say legible because the wording of their signs is very important as to whether they have formed a contract with motorists. For example the entrance sign itself doe not offer a contract because it states the T&Cs are inside the car park. But the the two signs below may change that situation which is why we would like to see them. I have looked at their Notice to Keeper which is pretty close to what it should say apart from one item. Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 Section 9 [2]a] the PCN should specify the period of parking. It doesn't. It does show the ANPR times but that includes driving from the entrance to the parking spot and then from the parking place to the exit. I know that this is a small car park but the Act is quite clear that the parking period must be specified. That failure means that the keeper is no longer responsible for the charge, only the driver is now liable to pay. Should this ever go to Court , Judges do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person so ECP will have their work cut out deciding who was driving. As long as they do not know, it will be difficult for them to win in Court which is one reason why we advise not to appeal since the appeal can lead to them finding out at times that the driver  and the keeper were the same person. You will get loads of threats from ECP and their sixth rate debt collectors and solicitors. They will also keep quoting ever higher amounts owed. Do not worry, the maximum. they can charge is the amount on the sign. Anything over that is unlawful. You can safely ignore the drivel from the Drips but come back to us should you receive a Letter of Claim. That will be the Snotty letter time.
    • please stop using @username - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread inc you gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

VCS SpyCar PCN Claimform - Bristol Airport PCN No. 1

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 383 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

At DQ stage you will get to choose the court.  Don't worry.

Did you use MCOL to file the AOS?

You need to get a CPR request off to Elms  https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/409718-cpr-3114-request-to-use-on-receipt-of-a-ppc-private-land-parking-court-claim/

If you scoll down to  Q2) How should I defend?  at  https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/393251-received-a-court-claim-from-a-private-parking-speculative-invoice-how-to-deal-with-it-hereupdated-dec-2021/  you will see the generic defence we normally use.  You still have plenty of time to file it though.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Great work.  Well done.

In his WS Simon will say the signs are reflective and the best in the industry.  It will help you to show (a) you couldn't see the damn things and (b) that Simon is telling porkies about the signs so the rest of the WS cannot be taken seriously.

On 01/08/2022 at 16:47, southwestram said:

However, the folder on the Zip File relating to this charge is empty. All of the information provided refers only to the other PCN issued.

Two things.

VCS have a statutory duty to comply with SARs.  If they don't, you can sue them!

I suppose a good strategy would be to tell them you don't believe they have complied with the SAR without going into detail, then if they again don't comply Letter of Claim and then court.

Have  a serious think about whether you want to go down this road though.  About the worst thing you can do in a legal dispute is threaten action which you then don't take, from then on you're just seen as a paper tiger.  Only make the threat if you really are prepared to sue them.

Secondly, all this talk of ZIP files makes me think you're communicating by e-mail with Simon.  If you do this, at Witness Statement stage VCS will file a pack of lies at one minute to the court deadline giving you no opportunity to respond.  We've seen these shenanigans before.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The fist case we have for VCS at that airport was in December 2019.

The contract they produce in their WSs is from October 2019.

• Thanks 1

I think you're mixing two things up.

Prior to October 2019 VCS had no involvement at the airport.  Then in that month they signed a contract with the airport to "manage" the no-stopping area which still continues now.

They should have then approached the local council for planning permission to erect their signs, an easy permission to obtain, but as that would have delayed their fleecing, and they have complete contempt for the law, they never did so.  Not obtaining planning permission is a crime, so you can use this against them.  That's why you asked to see proof of planning permission in your CPR request - you know full well they don't have PP so they can't respond.

• dx100uk changed the title to VCS SpyCar PCN Claimform - Bristol Airport PCN No. 1
18 hours ago, southwestram said:

I would like to state my defence without necessarily giving all the details of how I plan to defend the case - which woulld only give them time to come up with some obscure case reference from 90 years ago, or make some spurious excuse for them pursuing me.

Nail.  Hit.  On.  Head.

Go to  https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/393251-received-a-court-claim-from-a-private-parking-speculative-invoice-how-to-deal-with-it-hereupdated-dec-2021/

Scroll down to  Q2) How should I defend?

There you will find your bland, generic defence.

You're doing amazing research, well done, but the evidence you're gathering will go in your Witness Statement, to be filed at the court much later on, a fortnight before the court case.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm at East Midlands Airport at the moment.  I travelled here by coach.  Of course this is a different airport from you but Simple Simon has been let loose here too.

It struck me that, although there are numerous signs, the majority do not face the oncoming driver.  Most are parallel to the road.  There's no point in there being masses of signs if the driver doesn't see them.

They also all state "Private Property" and I'm not at all convinced this is true.

Also in among VCS's signs there are normal road signs saying stopping is not allowed, which of course underlines that the RTA and bye-laws apply.

If I had less luggage or someone else with me I would go looking for the VCS spy-car to take photos of it just to annoy VCS's bod, out of sheer bloody mindedness, but no can do!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

But how do you know the hearing is 23 March?

Because you will have got a letter form the court with the hearing date, plus the info dx is requesting.

Phone you local court tomorrow and ask for a PDF copy to be sent by e-mail.

If by some freak they won't play ball, ask at least to be told the deadline for exchanging Witness Statements.

It's generally 14 days before the hearing, but the odd judge does ask for the WSs yonks before.

Edited by FTMDave
Typo

Regarding your other points.  Well you hit the nail on the head with -

4 hours ago, southwestram said:

Altogether, it's a pretty convincing case. Until it is examined in real life.

Your job is to produce a WS including all the excellent points you've made about their rubbish signage (and a lot more besides).

Not necessarily.  Some judges do this.

Have you received a WS from VCS?

Sounds legit then.  But if VCS are late you can be late too. 

Especially as they are the claimant.  And an, ahem, professional company.

Whereas you are the defendant.  And a Litigant-in-Person.

Just to be sure, can you upload the court document please?

18 minutes ago, FTMDave said:

Have you received a WS from VCS?

Apologies, dx, I thought the OP was referring to a court order dated 2 January,.

All as clear as mud.

This is bad, ignoring a county court order and not even telling us VCS had sent a WS.

8 hours ago, southwestram said:

I imagine that I'll need to come up with a WS very quickly, to be posted to the court and VCS without delay.

Yes, ideally by 4pm when the court closes today, but presumably that will be impossible.

The next deadline would be by 4pm on Monday.  I don't mind tweaking any WS you come up with late this evening when i knock off work, and on Sunday, and you could e-mail to to the court and the fleecers late on Sunday.

8 hours ago, southwestram said:

I aim to keep it to concentrating on their inadequate, illegible and often absent signage that leads to confusion. I mean, telling drivers that there is no stopping past the sign is ridiculous. It doesn't say where it applies, so one could only assume that it refers to areas with visible signage prohibiting stopping.

Well yes and no.

Certainly include all the excellent research you've done on the rubbish signs.

But don't stop there.  VCS have lost no-stopping airport cases many times due to the deficient contracts with the landowners that they have produced.

Have a look at the attachment in post 110 here  https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/421775-vcs-spycar-pcn-paploc-now-claimform-no-stopping-east-midlands-airport/page/5/#comments

If it's not in post 110 it'll be a couple of posts above or below, sometimes the post count goes wonky.

This is a superb WS, the content and layout of which can be your base.  The case is very similar to yours.  Look at how Alaska101 sets out the introduction and the conclusion.  And how the clear headings show the judge instantly which legal arguments are being used.  

Also look at the WS in post 87 here  https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/441301-vcs-spycar-pcn-paploc-now-claimform-no-stopping-bristol-airport-claim-dismissed/page/4/#comments  This is for a case at the same airport.  You can use loads of research that other Caggers have done.

I've just read this thread from the start, and you've done superb research.

Get it all in a WS this evening if you can.  Then all the regulars can comment and it can be tweaked.

It'll arrive at the court 17 days late on Monday, but well before the hearing, it's to be hoped the judge is in a lenient mood. 

I'm not sure how you show videos to the court, and have flagged the matter up for more experienced Site Team members to answer.

I've just had a quick skim through things due to work, but what you've prepared looks superb.  Plan for after work - food, beer from the fridge and read through everything.  More later.

Regarding the video "Just disclose it disclose it along with documents/photographs/statements. Once referred to within a statement it becomes a disclosure although it's important to check with the court in advance how it will be shown? (Users own device or court projection)

CPR 31.12 may be appropriate in disclosing recorded evidence".

Edited by FTMDave
Typo

All the research you've put in over the months has been superb.

The WS is 99.99% excellent.

However, if it can be improved by 0.01%, why not?

Obviously the paragraphs need to be numbered in much more detail than they are ATM.

Above your current (4) I would write the title SEQUENCE OF EVENTS.

This is the place to - briefly - describe what happened which led to you getting the ticket.  Yes, I know you've included it in (10), but it needs to go in here briefly too.  In fact, especially here.

Your other ticket is not directly relevant here but I would quickly include it anyway as part of showing VCS up to be the sharks that they are, as you've done several times further on.  Mention that a few seconds after the events contested in this case, that you had to brake sharply as a pedestrian had stepped in front of your vehicle and had you not done so you would probably have murdered the person or at the very least caused life-changing injuries.  VCS are suing you in a separate case no.XXXXX essentially for failing to kill a pedestrian.  You could also say that the two cases could easily have been combined but you suspect that VCS have issued two separate claims in order to claim more legal costs and more interest.

In (5.3) I would rub it in and change "plus PoFA is only relevant for parking" to "plus PoFA is only relevant for parking, not driving along an open road".

In this part stick in all of LFI's excellent stuff about the rubbish PCN.

In (7) also include proof of postage for your CPR request and thus challenge Ambreen's (29).  Also include that at the time of the request the claim had not been allocated to the small claims track.

In (7.2), again rub it in saying VCS are a member of a different trade association, the IPC.

Obviously include LFI's demolition of the contract.

In your ILLEGAL SIGNAGE section, (8), I don't understand why you write in the third person "he writes in his WS".

In any case, the signage section needs to be split into two.  The lack of PP and the fact the signs are rubbish are two separate matters.  Immediately after (8) stick in a new heading INSUFFICIENT SIGNAGE.

Right at the end of the section, just before ABUSE OF PROCESS, stick in a bit to show VCS are liars.

"It is neither here nor there (the Claimant's Witness Statement para 21) what the IPC considers reasonable or lawful regarding signage or anything else for that matter. What is important is what the law in England & Wales considers as reasonable and lawful.

In para 20 of her Witness Statement Ms Arshad has reiterated the above false claims about the signage being reflective and positioned to face oncoming motorists.  Either she has deliberately misled the court, or, perhaps more likely, she has copied and pasted from other Witness Statements and included highly-inaccurate information.  One wonders what else in her Witness Statement is inaccurate.

Ms Arshad is being somewhat disingenuous when she says she "may" be unable to attend the hearing.  I have researched scores of VCS court cases and I cannot find even one where Ms Arshad has ever appeared in court.  The same goes for Mr Mohammed Wali, the other paralegal employed by VCS to write witness statements.  This is particularly remarkable as hearings were by telephone or on-line during the COVID pandemic, with no travelling involved.  It seems that under no circumstances are VCS willing to have their witness statement authors questioned in court".

(9.3) has to go completely.  The government are being legally challenged by the fleecers on this point.

Personally I would trim the paragraphs preceding (9.3).  There is a lot of waffle.

That's it!

Edited by FTMDave
Typo

98% of what you've prepared is superb.

I see you've chosen not to take on board the points I made in my previous post.  I think due to this certain sections could be confusing for a judge and to leave in points that the fleecers could easily demolish isn't a good idea.  But it's your case.

LFI will have been writing about Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedom Act 2012.  It's incorrect to talk about a breach.  Instead of BREACH OF THE _________________ an appropriate title would be NO KEEPER LIABILITY (1) and instead of RELEVANT LAND it should be NO KEEPER LIABILITY (2).

• Like 1

Well spotted!  Yes, make it NO HIRER LIABILITY (1) and NO HIRER LIABILITY (2).

If you can, get another version up this evening, because there are a couple fo points to move around, but IMO you're nearly there.

• Like 1

I'll have a good look through everything shortly, but in the meantime, remember that all the paragraphs need to be numbered.

I was going to whittle on about the subject field of an e-mail to the court but see you're going to hand deliver!

What you've prepared is really, really good.  Just a couple of tweaks.

Just to make it crystal clear for the judge, change -

My phone was out of its cradle, and I could not answer
the call hands-free otherwise. I pulled over when it was safe to do so and replaced the phone, and
answered the call, then pulled off again.

to

My phone was out of its cradle, and I could not answer
the call hands-free otherwise. I pulled over when it was safe to do so and replaced the phone, and
answered the call, then pulled off again..  This is the "offence" that I am being sued for in this case.

There is a mistake at the start of the ILLEGAL SIGNAGE section.  PAPLOC means pre-action protocol and has nothing to do with what you're arguing.  So change the first lines -

ILLEGAL SIGNAGE

In the case of XXXXXXXXXX (Insert PAPLOC reference) he states in his WS:

“8. After receiving the claim form I subsequently submitted my CPR 31.14 request (Exhibit D) in
which I requested copies of the claimant’s Planning Permission for the signage at the site in
question. The claimant failed to produce any, and after checking this myself with the relevant local
authority I found out that No planning permission had been sought or granted for said signs,
therefore making them illegal as lack of planning permission is a criminal offence under the Road
Traffic Acts 1962 and 1991 and no contract can be performed where criminality is concerned.”

With reference to my appeal against the issuance of a Parking Charge Notice, VCS stated the
following:

to

ILLEGAL SIGNAGE

After receiving the claim form I subsequently submitted my CPR 31.14 request (Exhibit D) in
which I requested copies of the claimant’s planning permission for the signage at the site in
question. The claimant failed to produce any, and after checking this myself with the relevant local
authority I found out that no planning permission had been sought or granted for said signs,
therefore making them illegal as lack of planning permission is a criminal offence under the Road
Traffic Acts 1962 and 1991 and no contract can be performed where criminality is concerned.

INSUFFICIENT SIGNAGE

With reference to my appeal against the issuance of a Parking Charge Notice, VCS stated the
following:

This part -

Section 9 of the new Code of Practice, regulates the matter of recovery costs: ͞ The Parking operator
must not levy additional costs over and above the level of a parking charge or parking tariff as
originally issued

has to go completely as it is the part of the CoP that the fleecers are legally challenging.

The rest is great.

If you can, delay the printing and e-mailing till tomorrow morning as there are quite a few Night Owls on CAG who might have last-minute contacts. 

The court will close at 4pm tomorrow.  While you're there, you might as well ask about how to show your video.

We've had several Bristol airport cases since Alaska101 and there's never been any planning permission.  You did ask for PP with the CPR request and they didn't send it. 

Like the way you've resolved the ILLEGAL SIGNAGE issue.

Looks good to go to me.

1 hour ago, brassnecked said:

Without going through the thread, are they just claiming for the first PCN?  If so they might be stupid enough to try to claim for second even if this claim kicked out.

They have a separate court claim for the second invoice BN.

• Like 1