• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

UK Power supplies Winter 2022/2023. Are you prepared ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 443 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

@tobyjugg2

So I guess that you are undecided about whether fracking in the UK would be on balance a good or bad thing to do ?

My reading of the fracking debate is that there are about as many pros and cons.  Personally, if I were in charge of making decisions, I would be wanting money spent on less risk energy production options, that could provide reliable enviromentally friendly energy.  With fracking, the risk of pollution on a small island and the consequential health issues that could be caused, would possibly be more costly to deal with, than the benefit derived.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

@tobyjugg2

Sure that you have both of those answers to hand.  Lots of information online about fracking, but I am not equipped to weigh up the evidence.  MP's will have to carefully study all of the information, before Parliament decides whether to grant licences for test drilling sites.   The new Chancellor of the Exchequer recently said in March 2022 that he was not convinced of the case for fracking, so there may not be majority support even in the Tory party for it.

My instincts are to invest in quickest safest way to obtain energy supplies and to invest in technological research to find ways to provide energy for the future. And technology that helps reduce the amount of energy demand.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

ENERGYPOST.EU

As fracking is starting up in the UK, Prof Richard Davies of Newcastle University writes that we can manage its risks, but not guarantee complete...

If you read the article, you will see the complexities involved.  I don't know whether there are any areas in the UK, where fracking could be done at an acceptable risk level.  And if they found such sites, whether they could actually deliver any useful supplies at a rate that would make it viable.

SELECTRA.CO.UK

With the fracking debate returning in light of the global energy crisis, we've laid out the main fracking pros and cons in our quick guide to...

Quite a good paper from the Univesity of Manchester on  economics of Fracking. Was issued 4 years ago, but probably still relevant information.

https://www.research.manchester.ac.uk/portal/files/65318663/Economic_viability_of_UK_shale_gas.pdf

Don't pretend to have the level of knowledge on fracking and other forms of energy supply.

Will leave that to experts who produce the various publications.  Hence posting links to the publications.

I don't have to go through all of the information to debate it on here and I certainly do not have to agree or disagree with the viewpoints of other posters to this site or those who publish articles on a subject.

Just because Government have made an annoucement that mentioned fracking does not mean that it is going to happen.  Personally I cannot see it happening, as there will be too much local opposition and companies will be reluctant to invest money, as the risk v reward position is very unclear.

• Like 1

Agree HB.  Very complex subject and I have not read any expert suggesting that fracking would deliver viable supplies within the time period required.  UK needs enviromentally friendly reliable sources of energy and many of these could be installed fairly quickly e.g. onshore/offshore wind and solar. 

Another possibilty could be Anaerobic Digestion to produce bio gas ?

How much energy would a typical home wind turbine produce ?

How much would a wind turbine cost to install including any storage batteries ?

Sounds promising!

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Harvard professor describes technology as ‘a new battery paradigm’ for electric vehicles

Experts don't appear to agree on risks, so I don't think Government are in a position to decide on whether fracking could proceed in some areas of the UK.  Some of the experts on either side of the argument will be biased.

Is there a truly independent organisation that could weigh up all of the available information to help decide if fracking could proceed in a few selected areas ?

Government says that fracking can only proceed with the consent of local people. So how may objections need to be received for fracking to not go ahead ?  As was seen with HS2 and compulsory purchase orders on people's homes, objections were simply ignored.

Don't think it is helpful to compare fracking with other activities, as each individual project has to be gone through in exact details to understand risks and if/how these can be mitigated.

Personally, if I were in a decision making position on fracking, I would have to receive  overwhelming evidence to support it, as the UK is such a small geographical area, that any issues such as earthquakes and pollution could have such a devastating impact. And the costs of dealing with incidents would fall to taxpayers to meet and costs could far exceed any potential revenues that were estimated.

• I agree 1

I am allowing for the possibility that in a few remote areas of the UK, that there is enough supporting evidence for fracking to be progressed, without much local opposition.

Does not mean that I am in favour of fracking or think it would a sensible viable way forward.

If Government allowed fracking to go ahead and there were awful consequences, the public would no doubt blame the politicians responsible for allowing it and not the companies involved.

"Allowing for the possibility"  is just that. That it is possible that Government allows the go ahead for a fracking site.

For example, within the Bowland Shale Formation areas.  But not sure what specific site.

The news that EU countries now have over 80% of their target amount of gas stored, which should see them through Winter, must have UK Government concerned how they compare.

Would be very embarrassing if lights went out in the UK during the Winter, as the UK had not invested in storage, with Truss having signed off on closure of gas storage site in 2017.

• Like 1

HB, yes I did see that. I just noted online that there was now further commentary about how EU countries had worked together to build up gas supplies.

Once the state funeral has taken place and the country returns to normal business, then I would expect to see Truss put under a lot of pressure to explain exactly how her Government will ensure the UK has sufficient supplies of energy to meet demand. In addition to the financial support Government will be providing.

So we have former company CEO saying fracking won't work in UK due to geography.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/sep/21/fracking-wont-work-uk-founder-chris-cornelius-cuadrilla

• I agree 1

And very few areas where fracking could take place and probably too much opposition. Will current Government just try to steamroller one site to go ahead and gamble on consequences being at an acceptable level. E.g. enough being extracted, minor earthquake damage and little local disruption impacting on any local population  ?

https://news.sky.com/story/over-a-quarter-of-local-authorities-in-england-are-covered-by-oil-and-gas-licences-could-fracking-come-to-your-area-12702639

If the Direct Debit amount is more than you can afford, then you have the rights to cancel the DD and only agree to a new DD for an amount you can budget for.

@snowdragon  contact EON to confirm you are on pension credits and cannot afford the new DD amount, so will cancel the DD, if it is not reduced down to £xx  per month which you are able to budget for.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Smart meters mean the energy companies can cut energy supply remotely?

If this is possible, then if there is going to be restrictions on supplies, I can see those with smart meters being affected, if there is no marker on the supply records, that there are vulnerable members within the household.

Appears switching off supplies is possible, but actions would need to be taken to enable it.

WWW.THISISMONEY.CO.UK

A series of backdoor 'modifications' to the Smart Energy Code have been proposed by officials and look set to pass into law by next spring.

There is emergency powers legislation which enables ministers to make decisions without votes in parliament. 

I can just see that it would be an easier option to cut off via smart meters, rather than cutting off power to whole areas of the country.  When power is cut off to whole areas, then this would include care homes, sheltered housing units and other housing for vulnerable people. Whereas cuts via smart meters, if this were possible on any scale, might reduce usage enough, for supplies to be maintained to priority users including Hospitals.

@tobyjugg2

Increased costs in transportation ? Cost of shipping have increased quite a lot I believe and then you have the road transport costs of getting it to the pumps.

There is definitely profiteering involved, but I am guessing those involved in the accounting for this industry would point to increased costs, so the additional profits are disputed.

LNG processing issue will need to be dealt with urgently.

WWW.EURACTIV.COM

Dozens of ships carrying LNG circling off the coasts of Spain unable to secure slots to unload have prompted grid operators for the...

• 3 weeks later...

Smart meter or mostly just an Energy company remote control ?

BBC News - Rise in energy firms remotely switching homes to prepay meters
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63554879

Had most people been aware of why smart meters were being installed, they would not have had one.

In the UK, there was no compulsion, and they were sold on saving money.  

I don't have a smart meter, as each time I was contacted, I was just about to change suppliers.

I bet that those meters that are not working correctly enough to allow a switch of suppliers, will still work, when the suppliers want to cut off or restrict supplies.