• Tweets

• Ok thanks for that, well spotted and all duly noted. Yes they did eventually submit those docs to me after a second letter advising them I was contacting the ICO to make a formal complaint for failing to comply with an earlier SAR that they brushed off as an "administrative error" or something. When I sent the letter telling them I was in contact with the information commissioner to lodge the complaint, the original PCN etc quickly followed along with their excuse!
    • its not about the migrants .. Barrister Helena Kennedy warns that the Conservatives will use their victory over Rwanda to dismantle the law that protects our human rights here in the UK.   Angela Rayner made fun of Rishi Sunak’s height in a fiery exchange at Prime Minister’s Questions, which prompted Joe Murphy to ask: just how low will Labour go? .. well .. not as low as sunak 
    • From #38 where you wrote the following, all in the 3rd person so we don't know which party is you. When you sy it was your family home, was that before or after? " A FH split to create 2 Leasehold adjoining houses (terrace) FH remains under original ownership and 1 Leasehold house sold on 100y+ lease. . Freeholder resides in the other Leasehold house. The property was originally resided in as one house by Freeholder"
    • The property was our family home.  A fixed low rate btl/ development loan was given (last century!). It was derelict. Did it up/ was rented out for a while.  Then moved in/out over the years (mostly around school)  It was a mix of rental and family home. The ad-hoc rents covered the loan amply.  Nowadays  banks don't allow such a mix.  (I have written this before.) Problems started when the lease was extended and needed to re-mortgage to cover the expense.  Wanted another btl.  Got a tenant in situ. Was located elsewhere (work). A broker found a btl lender, they reneged.  Broker didn't find another btl loan.  The tenant was paying enough to cover the proposed annual btl mortgage in 4 months. The broker gave up trying to find another.  I ended up on a bridge and this disastrous path.  (I have raised previous issues about the broker) Not sure what you mean by 'split'.  The property was always leasehold with a separate freeholder  The freeholder eventually sold the fh to another entity by private agreement (the trust) but it's always been separate.  That's quite normal.  One can't merge titles - unless lease runs out/ is forfeited and new one is not created/ granted. The bridge lender had a special condition in loan offer - their own lawyer had to check title first.  Check that lease wasn't onerous and there was nothing that would affect good saleability.  The lawyer (that got sacked for dishonesty) signed off the loan on the basis the lease and title was good and clean.  The same law firm then tried to complain the lease clauses were onerous and the lease too short, even though the loan was to cover a 90y lease extension!! 
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Aviva fraudulently processed my data without authorisation o

Titchytitch
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 684 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Looking at all of this, it seems to me that the FOS decision is based on the fact:

1. that Aviva followed their procedures – and apparently in so doing they acted fairly (extraordinary and very good evidence of how the FOS cosies up to industry).
  2. That several letters were sent to your address and the FOS car understand that you would have received them
  3. and that apparently in response to a letter sent to your address, the DVLA were provided with various documents which by their nature would have been in your possession.

Were absolutely not interested in point number one, but could you explain very briefly points number two and number three.

We take it there is no love lost between you and your brother.

If the story is to be taken at face value, then we seem to be talking here about domestic abuse. Domestic abuse doesn't necessarily need to be one person knocking knocking around another person in a domestic environment. It could be economic abuse – and it doesn't need to happen simply between cohabiting partners.

Maybe you can tell us a bit more

• Thanks 1

Please will you monitor this thread – probably tomorrow for a fuller reply – but for the moment, I think it would be useful to understand a little bit more about the relationship between you and your brother.

Forgive me for asking personal details – but what are your ages – who is older.

I'd like to know if you get on well, how long you have lived at separate addresses – and if push came to shove, would it cause you any difficulty to take a legal action against him or even to inform the police about his activities?
I'm not suggesting that you would do this at the moment but I suppose it could be a possibility but right now I'd like to know whether the idea of it stresses you or causes you any difficulties.
Would you describe your brother as a dominant figure in your life?

Also, I see that in the FOS report, you are described as "Mrs B". Does this mean that you are in a partnership. Are you part of a family anyway?

I understand that these questions are very personal and you may not want to disclose the answers on the open forum or at all.

However I think they might be relevant and if you are happy about disclosing them on the open forum then if you feel comfortable about disclosing them to me in confidence, you could email me on our admin email address with your responses.

I'm not trying to take this discussion of the forum. It's important that it is discuss it openly but there are confidential details which wouldn't be particularly relevant which might be very helpful to you if you disclose them to me.

I'm afraid to say that by large I think that a different approach needs to be used with this problem – but some answers to the questions I have asked above would clarify a few things before I come back and make some suggestions

I see that in the FOS decision, they have given you until a day in May to accept their decision or to decline it.

What happens if you decline the decision? Who has the FOS decision come from? Is it an adjudicator?

I think you also said that your brother's name was on an insurance fraud database. What details about that please? Have you any idea what date his name was entered on that register?

Sorry I don't understand. Where did you get the information that your brother was on the fraud database? When did you get this information?

Also, please can you telephone the FOS today and asked them about the status of this decision/letter which you have received. Are there any opportunities for further representations? What happens if you decline? What happens if you accept?

Thank you.

As you know, I've started getting involved in this thread partway through – so I'm trying to understand it all – and it's pretty complicated.

I had understood that your brother's name was on an insurance fraud database – but that doesn't seem to be the case now. Please can you clarify.

If it is on insurance for database then was this before or after he purchased this Aviva insurance?

I have to say that overall it's a shame that you didn't refer to this as a domestic/financial abuse problem at the outset because this might have changed people's way of looking at it. Of course you weren't to know.
However, companies nowadays are so worried about not adopting/complying with the current move in safeguarding culture, that if this had been identified as a domestic abuse issue, I think they would have handled it differently. Not because they are particularly interested and concerned about domestic abuse. Frankly I don't think they care – but they are worried about their own risk reputationally.

The Aviva website makes a big thing about safeguarding and financial abuse – and they even say that they have communications with SEA – Surviving Economic Abuse - - https://survivingeconomicabuse.org/ which is a relatively recent organisation which tries to get business organisations to adopt safeguarding policies and to implement safeguarding training so that they can recognise and protect the victims of domestic abuse – particularly financial/economic abuse.

Aviva make a thing about their role in protecting people from financial abuse and they even dedicate a webpage to it https://www.aviva.co.uk/aviva-edit/your-life-articles/financial-abuse/ although of course, webpages come very cheap.

Interestingly, Aviva say that they are:

We’re trained to spot the signs 

Aviva and the Aviva Foundation have been working closely with SEA and SafeLives to train staff on recognising the warning signs that anyone — customers or not — might display. 

Group Corporate Responsibility Manager Simone Wyatt says: “We’ve made training available to our front line staff, as well as to our wider colleagues, so that they’re equipped to recognise the common signs of financial abuse, such as people calling in to cash in pensions earlier than they should. These have intensified with the stresses and pressures of Covid, and that’s why we’re partnering with SEA.

“By recognising the impact of financial abuse, we can help to look after people and signpost them to expert help. At Aviva, our customers are more than just policyholders — we’re here to help.”

Of course it's a load of nonsense and not only that, if you asked Aviva to disclose their safeguarding/financial abuse policy and also to give you access to their training materials, they would decline on spurious grounds.

Similarly, the Financial Ombudsman Service has had discussions over the past three or four years with SEA although I'm not sure if they have adopted any policies in terms of trying to spot signs of domestic abuse in the complaints that people bring to them. I suspect that they would rather not get involved and anyway, if you go to the FOS website, and if you search for financial abuse or economic abuse – or even abuse – there is nothing.
From the look of the ombudsman's decision, they basically seem to say that as long as Aviva has a "process" – any old "process" then that is fine with the FOS as long as Aviva then sticks to that "process".  The FOS makes it pretty clear that as long as Aviva have stuck to their "process" then their customers been treated fairly – regardless of the fairness or otherwise of the "process".

The ombudsman then goes on to make a little gesture of having exercised its own independent judgement by pointing out that the policy has been in force for some time and that there has even been a payment against it.
Apparently this makes everything fair and above board – bless!.

This is all despite the fact that Aviva – and the ombudsman recognise that the circumstances which led to the taking out of the policy were that Aviva were telephoned by a strange man who said that he wanted to take out an insurance policy in the name of a woman with a different name who lived at a different address to him – even though they were apparently married couple – and that the woman in whose name he was taking out the policy would be the policyholder (the contracting partner) and he would simply be a named driver but that the money will be coming out of his own bank account.

Clearly the contract was intended to be made with the policyholder – the woman who was the main driver – and clearly what was happening here was that the brother was taking out an insurance policy in which secretly he would be the main driver – and which is otherwise known as "fronting" and which is forbidden by the insurance industry and forms very reasonable grounds for terminating the policy.

The Aviva "trained" employee who took the call and organised the contract, heard all of this – and apparently even tried to get to speak to the woman – the policyholder – and was rebuffed so much so that it was even remarked by the ombudsman that it was clear that the brother was "reluctant" to allow the woman – who he claimed was his wife – to talk to the call handler. The ombudsman even comments that it was clear that the man, who was presenting himself as the husband of the woman – was "controlling" the policy (do we see controlling behaviour here?) – And yet the call handler went ahead and allowed the insurance contract to be formed and the policy to be issued in the name of the unknown, unseen, wife that no one was allowed to speak to.

I don't know what it takes to make it dawn on a trained call handler that they are dealing with the situation where there are all the hallmarks of domestic abuse. I don't know what it takes to make it dawn on an FOS investigator – and also the ombudsman themselves that they are dealing with the situation which has all the hallmarks of domestic abuse……!

I feel pieces of sick rising in the back of my throat.

• BankFodder changed the title to Aviva ignored signs of financial abuse by sibling and supported by FOS

I agree with my site team colleague that you should reject the ombudsman's decision. You have nothing to lose.

I'm not sure what an SRA is in this context.

Also, I'm afraid that generally speaking the way that this story has been told on this thread is very patchy and also I have a sense that it's not complete.

I think it would be very useful almost to start from zero and to lay out everything which happened in a careful bullet pointed chronology.

Maybe would be better for you to prepare this account off-line and when you think that it's all complete and logical and understandable, you could then copy into a post.

Okay. You meant SAR – not SRA.

I think that when you decline the ombudsman's decision, that you should send a letter which at least they will have on file which will object to the decision and at least your objections will go into their file.

Also, I think you should certainly start sending SARs out to a number of people.

Send one to Aviva
send one to the FOS

also are we able to identify anybody else's got any records of attempts apparently by you to ask for credit or asked for insurance et cetera?
In addition to identifying those in your chronology, maybe you could list out any of them that you are aware of now – and sent them SARs.

Of course what would be very funny would be if you sent an SAR to Aviva and they declined to provide you with the data on the basis that you are not the data subject.

I think we need to do a lot of information gathering – and incidentally, if you want to challenge this then I think you are going to have to end up going to court.

The SARs will take 30 days so you won't have the disclosures in time for your rejection of the ombudsman's decision.
Send the SARs as soon as possible.

Of course, the data protection legislation provides that 30 days is the maximum time limit – but in practice this is abused and organisations wait until the 30 days are pretty well up and then they provide the data.

I know it's a nuisance – but send an SAR to each one of them.

We have our SAR template – use that.

Please could you post up here a copy of the complaint that you made to the financial ombudsman.
Also, the financial ombudsman's decision goes into some detail as to the conduct of the insurance contract after its inception.
In other words, there are lots of references to correspondence which was apparently sent to you and which they say you must have received and you must have been aware of et cetera.

I don't want to ask you specifics about that at the moment – but what I would like to know is – were you ever asked about this and did you ever make any written statements about this correspondence or is the ombudsman's decision based entirely on evidence received from Aviva?

In other words have you been given an opportunity to tell your side of the story relating to the correspondence – and has the ombudsman arrived at their decision based on the versions from both sides

How many phone calls were there?

I need you specifically to tell me whether they receive the information about all the correspondence relating to defaults et cetera from you or whether this came simply from Aviva – and if it came simply from Aviva, do they ever come back to you then and put these matters to you.

Hopefully when you supply the SAR to the ombudsman, you will get hold of copies of telephone recordings.

Okay well make sure that you send the SAR to the FOS – and also to Aviva – today.

Get the rest going over the next few days

Tell you now where I think this is going.

You are going to decline the ombudsman decision. We will send them a letter outlining your objections – although all they will do would be to put it on file.

We would then investigate the possibility of suing Aviva under ICOBS and you will need to start reading that an understanding it if we are going to go ahead. Basically the idea is that as an insurance company they have a statutory duty to treat you fairly and I think we have a very reasonable case to suggest that they are not treating you fairly.

I would propose suing them for a modest amount – simply to get into court and to force them to disclose any documents which they haven't disclosed under an SAR but also to start deciding whether they are going to accept that yes maybe they got it wrong, or whether they think they are going to defend it.
You will have to decide whether you are prepared to take a small claim on this basis and I can assure you that if they decide to defend it, it will get quite exciting because they will fight tooth and nail because a judgement for this kind of statutory breach of duty is a serious matter for them.

I think before we launched into litigation, we would try to open up the issue with them again but this time on the issue of domestic abuse – which is what I think should have happened first of all. They might say that it's already done and dusted. We might then try to move it up to the ombudsman – but the ombudsman might also say that this is an issue which has been done and dusted and cannot be revisited.
In that case, we would have to decide whether or not to litigate.

If you did litigate and they put their hands up, then as a condition of withdrawing the action we would require them to undo all this damage that they've done to your credit files et cetera. If they decided to defend then you would have to decide whether or not to go to a hearing and to try to get a judge to award you judgement and a modest compensation on the basis that the insurer had treated you unfairly.

That's the general idea. Of course things can change very quickly – but that's the theory, anyway.

You mean the FOS – and yes, send it to their main offices

I think you could also usefully sent the following letter to Aviva. They will refuse to give you the information you are seeking – but it would be helpful to get even that refusal on record.

Group Corporate Responsibility Manager Simone Wyatt 

Dear Ms Wyatt

Financial abuse policies and training.

I have seen on your website that you have recently published information about Aviva's attitude to financial advice, information relating to indicators of financial advice and also referring to your close association with the Surviving Economic Abuse organisation (SAE) and to the training that you provide to your staff on recognising the warning signs of financial abuse.

I'm extremely encouraged to see this so prominently displayed on your website and also I'm very pleased to see that you are working closely with SAE which is an organisation which I am familiar with.

I'd be very grateful if you could provide me with a copy of your financial abuse policy – and also details of the training that you are providing your staff. If you would be prepared to let me have sight of the training materials then I would be very grateful indeed.

Yours sincerely

I would suggest that you send this letter to this person without a reference number and not using your own name in order to minimise the chance of any warning signs being flagged up.

You will have to look through the Internet to find the address of The Group Corporate Responsibility Manager but I expect that it will be available.

What would be the basis of your complaint to the ICO?

Well I would send the letter by post. If you use the same address then if they put two and two together – so be it. I suppose it's not massively serious but it might be better if they were not on inquiry when they read the letter.
I fully expect them to decline your request – either simply to decline it or on a pretext.

Have you sent the SAR's?

Look up the website for the Aviva insurance in the UK and see if you can find the data protection officer and send it there. If not, send the SAR to any registered address that relates to their insurance. It is their duty to make sure that it gets to the right department. As long as you get the SAR into their door then the problem is theirs.

Make sure that you don't simply send it to a box number if you can avoid it. Send it to a proper recognisable postal address.

I'm sure the template is fine. I've already made suggestions about the Aviva address in my previous post

Still waiting for your bullet pointed chronology

Well let's get all the story together as quickly as possible so we can understand it all.

Also, please can you space your posts properly. They're very difficult to read when they are a solid block of text especially when people use a small screen.

• Like 1

I've been trying to put together a much shorter chronology of what has happened.

A lot of what you have written is about the investigation and that's not relevant to helping us understand why the problem occurred in the first place.

This is what I have so far:

July 2015

Brother took victim to car dealer to buy car ostensibly with a loan for £6000 in her name.

Signed the agreement without paying attention.

Discovered that loan was for £25,000 for white BMW

direct debit – £391 per month

BMW car registered in victim’s name and insured in her name

September 2015

Brother sold car without permission or knowledge of victim for £16,000.

Victim too frightened to talk about it with brother. Brother may have forged signature on V5 document

Brother kept on making loan repayments

August 2019

Letter from insurer referring to a conversation with the brother. Apparently insurance policy was cancelled.

November 2019

Discovered that insurer had voided insurance since inception due to identity fraud.

Police informed and crime reference number obtained

December 2019

Brother stop making loan repayments. Victim had to start making payments from her own savings.

Complaint made to Barclays that loan was mis-sold as brother had lied to them about the financial status of the victim.

Barclays upheld complaints and refunded some payments.

January 2020

Receive default notice from Aviva insurer. They had apparently written in 2018 but letter was only received January 2020

Aviva wrote off a single payment. Close account and sent resolution letter.

February 2020

Aviva sent another default notice concerning missed payments. 

Page two

6 February

brother is apparently transferring vehicles online

12th February

use bank transfer to set up direct debit to RSPCA

28th February

insurance letter informing of money outstanding on cancelled insurance policy

victim contacted insurer and they agreed to stop further letters or reminders

29th February

Aviva sent letter saying that a full year’s premium was due. Aviva told that it was fraudulent and warned them that brother might try to make a chargeback.

Brother did make chargeback and Aviva went ahead and reversed it – no problem.

End of February 2020

brother had by then reversed all premiums for policies taken out from 2015 to 2018 – amounting to total £2891

13 February 2020

FOS complaints started..

Please will you comment very briefly on any of this.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 684 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks