• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Griffin V Lloyds TSB *ABUSE STRIKE OUT*WON*

griffin9959
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6150 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Griffin (looking good BTW!!) time is flying by, and I bet that there will be someone having a look at your claim later on this afternoon at Lloyds solicitor's office.;) And then probably filing a defense :(

I am sure that they will not be enamoured with the contractual interest you are claiming, but tough!, but dont really know what Lloyds current stance is with this as to date I have not claimed for it!

Look forward to hearing!

Defense arrived today. At first look its a standard 9 point defense (as I hear it referred to here at CAG). AQ looks quite daunting, will need to study it and the defense tomorow.

Strangely enough, Lloyds have made no refference to my claiming contractual interest. Anyone care to make a comment/give advice/share their thoughts.

~S~

Griffin

04/01/07 New S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent by RECORDED DELIVERY

05/01/07 Delivery of S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) confirmed by Royal Mail

18/01/07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) data received

09/02/07 Prelim letter sent.

16/02/07 Frist template response received (nothing out of the ordinary).

23/02/07 LBA sent.

22/03/07 Claim issued to County Court

28/03/07 Claim served on Lloyds TSB (to reply by 11/04/07)

16/04/07 Acknowledgement of service (date stamped 12/04/07) received. Lloyds intend to defend the whole of the claim.(Lloyds' defense to be filed by 25/04/07)

26/04/07 Received Lloyds defense (standard 9 point) AQ to be returned by 11/05/07

23/02/07 LBA sent.

16/04/07 Acknowledgement of service (date stamped 12/04/07) received. Lloyds intend to defend the whole of the claim.(Lloyds' defense to be filed by 25/04/07)

26/04/07 Received Lloyds defense (standard 9 point) AQ to be returned by 11/05/07

09/05/07 My AQ returned to court

22/05/07 Lloyds have not met the AQ deadline. Court give them until 05 June to file

05/06/07 AQ filed by Lloyds with application for 1 month stay

seems i am at same stage as you. Lloyds had until 24th to file a defence which they did. Court have sent me a copy I was expecting an AQ questionnaire to complete but instead they have sent me the date for the pre-trial hearing!!! which is a bit scary, what do you suggest I do now?

Very interesting thread to date.....

...you seem to know exactly what you're doing... and doing it very well ;-)

Thanks for popping into my thread...

Subscribing to yours

Innocent :D

:D CLICK MY SCALES IF I HAVE BEEN USEFUL :D

BARCLAYCARD WON £307

CAPITAL ONE WON £2.1k

NATWEST WON £3.4k

LLOYDS TSB CURRENT

Start 26/4 LBA 7/6 conLBA 22/1 N1 12/3 AQ 3/5/07ONHOLD

MORE THAN/ LLOYDS MCARD

Start 2/11 CONTL LBA 15/1/07 NOW RE-RESEARCHING

MONUMENT VISA

Start 1/11 CONTL LBA 15/1/07 NOW RE-RESEARCHING

NATWEST BUSINESS

RESEARCHING

• 2 weeks later...

So the 11th is approaching, its the deadline for return of the AQ (N150). Having considered my position, I continue to be narked with LTSB and have decided upon the following response in my AQ;

Griffin -v- Lloyds TSB Bank Plc

In the XXXXXXXXX County Court

Claim No: XXXXXXXX

N150 ALLOCATION QUESTIONNAIRE

Section H – Other Information

The Claimant respectfully requests that an order may be made as follows;

1. That the Defence is struck out as an abuse of process, pursuant to rule 3.4(2)(b) of the Civil Procedure Rules

On the basis that the Defendant has filed a template defence then subsequently settled each and every other claim of this nature.

Since May 2006, the Claimant is aware of at least 45 claims of this nature in which the Defendant has filed an acknowledgement of service, then a Defence, then an allocation questionnaire, then has breached the order for pre-hearing directions, then has finally settled shortly in advance of the hearing. A sample list of these claims, including their claim numbers, is attached (attachment 1B).

The Claimant believes that the Defendant is using court process as an intimidatory tool in order to dissuade its customers from pursuing legitimate complaints. It is strongly suggested from the pattern of hundreds of settled cases that the Defendant will not contest this claim at trial.

I believe this strategy to be abusive, directly contrary to almost all of the Overriding Objectives, and to the detriment and financial cost of the public resource, as well as myself, the Claimant. It is respectfully submitted that the Defendant will continue to conduct litigation in this manner for as long as it is allowed to do so with impunity.

Please find attached a copy of an order made by Lincoln County court (attachment 1C) in at least 6 cases similar to my own, in which Lloyds TSB Bank Plc was also the Defendant. The court considered the authority of Mullen-v-Hackney London Borough Council (1997)2 A11ER 906 to be relevant. If this honourable court also considers this authority relevant, I would respectfully request that the court applies its special knowledge of the defendant’s established conduct in similar cases when considering order in the present case. Please find attached the case to which I refer (attachment 1D)

2. In the alternative, should the court consider such order not to be appropriate in respect of this claim, and if the claim is to proceed to allocation, the Claimant respectfully suggests that special directions may be made as per the attached draft order (attachment 2A).

The Claimant believes the proposed directions will further the Overriding Objectives in that they identify the most fundamental issues in dispute and will allow them to be assessed in advance of the hearing so that this claim may proceed justly and expeditiously.

The Claimant believes that if the Defendant has the serious intention of defending this claim at trial as is indicated by its defence, that it is incumbent upon it to disclose such information. Further, the proposed directions are already routinely ordered in claims of this nature in the Mercantile Court in London, as well as in small claims track cases in Leicester, Derby, Chesterfield, Northampton and Mansfield County Courts.

As the law relating to contractual penalties is long established, the Claimant believes the outstanding issues to be of fact. Accordingly, the Claimant respectfully requests that the claim be allocated to the small claims track, and estimates that the hearing of the claim should last no longer than one hour.

3.The Claimant is aware that the defendant is now routinely requesting a stay in proceedings in claims of this nature, by indicating an intention to negotiate a settlement in section A of their allocation questionnaire.

The claimant is strongly opposed to such a stay, upon the basis that the defendant, both during and prior to this litigation, has rebutted or ignored all prior attempts by the claimant to narrow the issues in dispute, or otherwise engage in meaningful dialogue which may have facilitated an amicable settlement to these matters.

It is submitted that the request by the defendant is highly likely to be an attempt to further frustrate and delay proceedings, and the pattern of settled cases so far would strongly suggest that the defendant does not intend to settle these matters until a hearing date is imminent.

Accordingly, the claimant respectfully requests that any such request by the defendant is turned aside.

The draft order for directions is as follows;

In the XXXXXXXX County Court

Claim number XXXXXXXX

Between

Griffin - Claimants

and

Lloyds TSB Bank Plc - Defendant

Draft Order for Directions

The Claimant shall within 14 days of service of this order send to the Defendant and to the Court:

• a) A schedule setting out each charge repayment of which is sought, showing the date, amount, and reason given (if any) for that charge being made;
  • b) Copies of any statement or other document relied upon as showing that each and every charge has been made;
  • c) A statement of evidence of all matters relied upon as tending to show that the charges are irrecoverable as penalties or otherwise;
  • d) Copies of decided cases and other legal materials to be relied upon.

If the Claimant fails to comply with this order, the claim will be struck out without further order.

2. The Defendant shall within 14 days thereafter file and serve a response to the Claimant's schedule, stating in respect of each item claimed;

• a) Pursuant to what contractual provision such charge was made, producing a copy of the contractual document relied upon;
  • b) Whether such charge is accepted to be a penalty, and if not why not;
  • c) If such charge is alleged to be a pre-estimate of the Defendant's loss incurred by the Claimant's actions (whether or not such action is treated as a breach of contract between the parties), all facts and matters intended to be relied upon as showing that such was a proper estimate of such loss, and all evidence to be adduced at trial as to what the true cost of dealing with the matter was;
  • d) If such charge is not alleged to be a pre-estimate of the Defendant's loss incurred by the Claimant's actions then facts and matters intended to be relied upon showing the basis upon which the charge was calculated and all evidence to be adduced at trial as to show that the charge was fair and reasonable.
  • e) Any witness statements.
  • f) Copies of decided cases and other legal materials to be relied upon.

If the Defendant fails to comply with this order, the Defence will be struck out without further order.

So that's it, hope to put in late tomorow afternoon. Sorry it doesn't give you much time to feedback but,any comments you have would be appreciated .

~S~

Griffin

23/02/07 LBA sent.

23/02/07 LBA sent.

22/05/07 Lloyds have not met the AQ deadline. Court give them until 05 June to file

"Lovely" response

sort of wish I had included something similar in mine....

Still, we have both proposed draft order..... lets hope that works (about a 33% chance looking at the survey results)

Its good to know we are both at similar stages, we can keep each informed

Innocent ;)

BARCLAYCARD WON £307

CAPITAL ONE WON £2.1k

NATWEST WON £3.4k

LLOYDS TSB CURRENT

MORE THAN/ LLOYDS MCARD

MONUMENT VISA

NATWEST BUSINESS

RESEARCHING

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again griffin.....:)

It'll be interesting to see if they have missed ur aq deadline too :rolleyes:

and the % successes for the draft order have been going up too..... here's hoping we both get this

Keep us informed

BARCLAYCARD WON £307

CAPITAL ONE WON £2.1k

NATWEST WON £3.4k

LLOYDS TSB CURRENT

MORE THAN/ LLOYDS MCARD

MONUMENT VISA

NATWEST BUSINESS

RESEARCHING

Latest installment.

Received a letter from the court today, seems they missed the deadline.

Before District Judge XXXXXXX sitting at XXXXXX County Court.

Upon neither party attending.

IT IS ORDERED THAT

Unless by 4.00pm on 05 Jone 2007 the Defendant files with the court a properly completed Allocation Questionaire the defence be struck out without further order and judgement be entered for the claimant for an amount to be determined by the court together with costs.

Anyone care to have a guess at the following.

Would the judge be so lenient if it was me who misssed the deadline?

What are the chances that LTSB will meet the second deadline?

What happens if LSTB do miss the deadline, is it goin to cost me more to go further?

Of course any other comments are also welcome.

~S~

Griffin

23/02/07 LBA sent.

23/02/07 LBA sent.

• 2 weeks later...

Just come off the phone with the court. Lloyds have met the 5th June deadline for filing their AQ - it was filed on, you guessed it, 5th June.

Of course I didn't get a copy of the AQ from SCM and the lady from the court couldn't tell me if Lloyds have requested a stay -the file was with the judge. I'll phone again tomorow to enquire about the stay.

~S~

Griffin

23/02/07 LBA sent.

05/06/07 AQ filed by Lloyds

23/02/07 LBA sent.

Hi Griffin

As others have highlighted in my post; it may benefit you if they request a stay.......

.....just an even longer wait eh? :rolleyes:

BARCLAYCARD WON £307

CAPITAL ONE WON £2.1k

NATWEST WON £3.4k

LLOYDS TSB CURRENT

MORE THAN/ LLOYDS MCARD

MONUMENT VISA

NATWEST BUSINESS

RESEARCHING

OK, just got back from the court - Lloyds have requested a stay.

whilst I was talking to the lady at the court, she showed me a copy of an order that was to be typed up. Having to listen to her and try to read the copy of the order was not easy and I didn't get it all but, it looked very odd to me. There were only 2 points, couldn't see the second but, the first made mention of striking out the defense in 14 days as an abuse of process because the defendant regularly settled before coming to court. There didn't seem to be any mention of the draft orders I had suggested, as per the CAG "new strategy"

What I would hope the order will say is roughly - 1. because LLoyds applied for a stay the judge has seen through them and their time wastin ploy and ,unless they have anything further to add, he is going to strike their defense 14 days from now. 2. If anyone doesn't agree with the order they can apply to have it changed etc etc.

Has anyone had an order similar to this?

~S~

Griffin

23/02/07 LBA sent.

23/02/07 LBA sent.

Excellent! If it is what I think it is then you'll be celebrating when that order comes through!!

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

Fascinating thread. Got my fingers crossed for you griffin...Weren't you the mascot fir the old Midland Bank before banking became the impersonal business it is now?

Cheers & Good Luck

McIavelli (I'm not that devious really)

Fascinating and excellent!!!!!

Gary, what do u think? perhaps??

And my fingers are crossed (hey, my left and right hands are together too, unlike the [problem])

Griffin, buddy, you dont need good luck to win (you and we will) but I wish you good luck and all the best for a speedy conclusion ;):D

Innocent ;)

BARCLAYCARD WON £307

CAPITAL ONE WON £2.1k

NATWEST WON £3.4k

LLOYDS TSB CURRENT

MORE THAN/ LLOYDS MCARD

MONUMENT VISA

NATWEST BUSINESS

RESEARCHING

Strike out methinks!:D

From Griffin's description the order sounds very much like the ones made recently in Rhyl.

And my fingers are crossed (hey, my left and right hands are together too, unlike the [problem])

Unfortunately, the same result from Portsmouth CC is IMHO probably unlikely.:(

Its really polarising the courts now the bank charges issue - on one hand we're seeing a huge increase in strike out orders from some courts, on the other we're also seeing an increase in strike out threats to the claimants such as those in Hull. There have also been some harsh orders asking for the claimant to provide a figure and reasoning for what the defendants loss is alleged to be!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

OK, here it is, this order arrived today.

OF THE COURTS OWN INITIATIVE

1. The court of its own motion is considering striking out the defence as an abise of process on the basis that the defendant has settled all previous claims of this nature.

2. If the defendant objects to this course of action, it is to file at court by 4pm on 22nd June 2007 a schedule setting out a list of all the claims it has pursued to trial and all the claims it has settled/

It is preceeded by the usual "If you object to the order, you must make an applicatio to have it set aside".

I don't intend to object!!!!

As usual any comments welcome.

Meanwhile, I'm particularly interested to know if anyone has seen a list of claims Lloyds have pursued to trial.

Is this order good news?

What options are open to Lloyds or what is their likely response?

What should I be thinking of doing next?

~S~

Griffin

23/02/07 LBA sent.

13/06/07 Court has ordered Lloyds to file, by 22/06/07, a list of claims it has pursued to court or defense will be struck

23/02/07 LBA sent.

Wooohoooo! Yep, thats the one I thought it might be!!!:D

You need do nothing for now - Lloyds will not provide a list becouse they have not contested any hearings. Games up! Well, in this claim at least!

They may now settle straight away, or they may ignore it - in which case you'll have to inform the court at the end of the 14 days.

See this users thread - same order, against same bank, but a week and a bit ahead so it'll be useful for you to keep an eye on.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/93252-judge-xxxxxxx-rhyl-county.html

If I PM you my e-mail address can I have a scan of the order please?

Cheers Gary. No probs sending a scan, PM me anytime. I trust that you will conceal any of my personal details.

~S~

Griffin

23/02/07 LBA sent.

I think congratulations are in order!!!!:)

(albeit they might drag it out a little longer):rolleyes:

Boy, I bet we all wish we had DJs like yours......

Griffin, well done!!!!!!!:D

Absolutely Fantastic news!!!!!:D

If I may quote GaryH "Wooooooooooooohoooooooooo!!!!"

BARCLAYCARD WON £307

CAPITAL ONE WON £2.1k

NATWEST WON £3.4k

LLOYDS TSB CURRENT

MORE THAN/ LLOYDS MCARD

MONUMENT VISA

NATWEST BUSINESS

RESEARCHING

Have you had a settlement yet?

George Loveless - “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"

My advice is only my opinion, I am not a legal expert.

IF YOU LIKE THE ADVICE I'M GIVING AND ARE HAPPY WITH IT, CLICK THE SCALES ON THE BOTTOM LEFT OF THIS POST AND TELL ME.