• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Griffin V Lloyds TSB *ABUSE STRIKE OUT*WON*

griffin9959
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6119 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've trawled the site and I hope I have an understanding of what I'm up against. To all you who have previously posted, MANY THANKS, your experiences are a mine of information, I hope I can hold out like many of you've had to do.

So, the journey begins - 27/11/06 Data Protection Act 1998

Subject Access Request letter sent to Lloyds TSB.

Griffin

04/01/07 New S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent by RECORDED DELIVERY

05/01/07 Delivery of S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) confirmed by Royal Mail

18/01/07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) data received

09/02/07 Prelim letter sent.

16/02/07 Frist template response received (nothing out of the ordinary).

23/02/07 LBA sent.

22/03/07 Claim issued to County Court

28/03/07 Claim served on Lloyds TSB (to reply by 11/04/07)

16/04/07 Acknowledgement of service (date stamped 12/04/07) received. Lloyds intend to defend the whole of the claim.(Lloyds' defense to be filed by 25/04/07)

26/04/07 Received Lloyds defense (standard 9 point) AQ to be returned by 11/05/07

09/05/07 My AQ returned to court

22/05/07 Lloyds have not met the AQ deadline. Court give them until 05 June to file

05/06/07 AQ filed by Lloyds with application for 1 month stay

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Griffin

Good luck with your claim :)

Nat

LTSB -claiming back WON!!!

Mint credit card - WON!!!

Morgan Stanley credit card - WON!!!

LTSB credit card - MCOL issued WON!!

Barclaycard - MCOL issued for balance of partial refund 200.00

Gorvins Solicitors - WON!!!

• 4 weeks later...

So, I hope everyone has had a pleasant festive season. Now that its over I can update you on progress - NONE, not even a letter of acknowledgement.

I now intend to send them a reminder and a copy of my original letter, to be followed up by a phone call early next week.

Having checked the forum, I trust this is the right approach. Any comments welcome.

Griffin

23/02/07 LBA sent.

16/04/07 Acknowledgement of service (date stamped 12/04/07) received. Lloyds intend to defend the whole of the claim.(Lloyds' defense to be filed by 25/04/07)

26/04/07 Received Lloyds defense (standard 9 point) AQ to be returned by 11/05/07

22/05/07 Lloyds have not met the AQ deadline. Court give them until 05 June to file

Just read some of your thread natsmanc, I've made the same mistake - not used recorded delivery.

So its back to the start for me, new letter to be sent tomorow - RECORDED.

Thanks

Griffin

23/02/07 LBA sent.

New DSAR sent by RECORDED DELIVERY today 04/01/07

23/02/07 LBA sent.

Delivery of DSAR confirmed by Royal Mail

23/02/07 LBA sent.

• 2 weeks later...

Have been getting uneasy about getting no response from Lloyds. Royal Mail confirmed delivery of my DSAR to Lloyds on 05/01/07. I'm sure I've seen in the forums, people saying that Lloyds have written back to them acknowledging their request and explaining that it will be dealt with in due course. Its now 18/01/07 and I have had no acknowledgement of my DSAR. Should I be worried????,

Seems I panicked. When I got home today, what was in the post, MY DATA :-).

Forty days would have been up on 14/02/07. Their response being so fast, me thinks Lloyds now have a dedicated system for dealing with requests such as ours

Thanks for your response gizmo111 !! I shall now update my thread to keep everybody posted.

Again many thanks to yourself and the other knowledgable peeps here!!!!!!

Time to download that spreadsheet and get calculatin.

~S~

Griffin

New DSAR sent by RECORDED DELIVERY today 04/01/07

Delivery of DSAR confirmed by Royal Mail 05/01/07

DSAR data received 18/01/07

user_online.gifforward.gif

23/02/07 LBA sent.

To be honest reduk054, I've not checked. Due to the lack of response to my first SAR I assumed they put the whole thing in their shredder, including my cheque. I'll have to cheque my statements (sorry, couldn't resist the pun)

Thanks for the heads up reduk054.

~S~

Griffin

New SAR sent by RECORDED DELIVERY today 04/01/07

Delivery of SAR confirmed by Royal Mail 05/01/07

SAR data received 18/01/07

23/02/07 LBA sent.

• 3 weeks later...

So its time to send the prelim letter. Having decided to go for contractual interst, and thanks to Mindzai & Lucid 's hard work, i've amended the prelim letter as follows:

9th February 2007,

Request for repayment of charges.

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT NUMBERS: xxxxxxxx & xxxxxxxx

My request

I am writing to ask you to refund to me the charges which you have levied from my account over the last 6 years.

I now understand that the regime of fees which you have been applying to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent consumer regulations. If you say that they are not, then will you please demonstrate this by letting me have a full breakdown of the costs to which you have been put by as a result of my breaches, in order to reassure me that your penalties really do reflect your costs. Additionally, it has now been confirmed that your particularly high level of penalties are considered to be unfair per se by the OFT who reported on the 5th April 2006 and are therefore presumed to be unlawful in the absence of specific proof to the contrary.

Your responsibilities

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary. I consider that your repeated representations that your charges are fair and reasonable are deceptive and that they have deceived me into agreeing to pay them. Your concealment of the true nature of your charges has prevented me from asserting my right until now.

What I require

In respect of account number xxxxxxxx:

I calculate that you have applied £582.50 in levies and further, I also claim interest at a rate of 29.8% AER as set out in the attached list of charges. I believe this rate to be justified under the principle of mutuality and reciprocity, and is based on your Unauthorised Overdraft interest rate that would be applied under the terms of the above mentioned account. Therefore the total amount owed, which I am claiming as of today's date is £2099.14

I calculate that you have applied £585.00 in levies and further, I also claim interest at a rate of 29.8% AER as set out in the attached list of charges. I believe this rate to be justified under the principle of mutuality and reciprocity, and is based on your Unauthorised Overdraft interest rate that would be applied under the terms of the above mentioned account. Therefore the total amount owed, which I am claiming as of today's date is £1211.95

I enclose a schedule of the charges, to the sum £3311.09, which I am claiming with this letter.

My targets to resolve this matter

I hope that you will enter into a sincere dialogue with me about this matter and I am writing this letter to you on the assumption that you will prefer to do this than merely respond with standard letters and leaflets.

I will give you 14 days to reply to me accepting, unconditionally, my request in principle and letting me know a date by which I will receive payment.

If you do not respond, or you do not respond positively, within this time period, I shall send you a letter before action giving you a further 14 days in which to reflect. I believe that these targets are more than sufficient for a large company such as yours with dedicated staff and departments.

After that, there will be no further communication from me and I shall issue a claim at the expiry of the second deadline.

Yours faithfully,

Any comments welcome!!!!!

~S~

Griffin

23/02/07 LBA sent.

• 2 weeks later...

Recieved first template response form LsTSB on 16/02/07. Now the 14 day deadline has passed I intend to send off my LBA today. To any of you who may be interested - I am claiming contractual interest at 29.8%

23rd February 2007,

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT NUMBERS: xxxxxxx & xxxxxxxx

I am very disappointed that you have failed to respond positively to my letter of the 9th February 2007. I now understand that the regime of 'fees' which you have been applying to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

I calculate that you have applied £582.50 in levies and further, I also claim interest at a rate of 29.8% AER as set out in the attached list of charges. I believe this rate to be justified under the principle of mutuality and reciprocity, and is based on your Unauthorised Overdraft interest rate that would be applied under the terms of the above mentioned account. Therefore the total amount owed, which I am claiming as of 9th February 2007 is £2099.14.

I calculate that you have applied £585.00 in levies and further, I also claim interest at a rate of 29.8% AER as set out in the attached list of charges. I believe this rate to be justified under the principle of mutuality and reciprocity, and is based on your Unauthorised Overdraft interest rate that would be applied under the terms of the above mentioned account. Therefore the total amount owed, which I am claiming as of 9th February 2007 is £1211.95.

I enclose copy schedules of the charges, to the sum £3311.09, as submitted with my letter of 9th February 2007.

I require repayment of this money in full. If you do not comply fully within 14 days then I shall, without further notice, begin a claim against you for the full amount plus my costs.

Yours faithfully,

~S~

Griffin

23/02/07 LBA sent.

23/02/07 LBA sent.

• 2 weeks later...

No response to my LBA so, I guess I have to file a claim with the County Court. Below are my particulars of claim, please, anybody care to give some feedback before I submit it.

1. The Claimants have two joint accounts ACCOUNT CODE xxxxxxxx and ACCOUNT CODE xxxxxxxxx

("the Accounts") with the Defendant which were opened on or around 1999

2. During the period in which the Accounts have been operating the Defendant debited numerous charges to the Accounts in respect of purported breaches of contract on the part of the Claimants and also charged interest on the charges once applied. The Claimants understand that the Defendant contends that the charges were debited in accordance with the terms of the contract between itself and the Claimants.

3. A list of the charges applied is attached to these particulars of claim.

4. The Claimants contend that:

a) The charges debited to the Accounts, as outlined in the attached schedules, are punitive in nature; are not a genuine pre-estimate of cost incurred by the Defendant; exceed any alleged actual loss to the Defendant in respect of any breaches of contract on the part of the Claimants; and are not intended to represent or related to any alleged actual loss, but instead unduly enrich the Defendant which exercises the contractual term in respect of such charges with a view to profit. In the event that the charges are not a penalty, they are unreasonable under The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 section 15. The Defendant has declined to justify the charges.

b) The contractual provision that permits the Defendant to levy such charges is unenforceable by virtue of The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (1999) paragraph 8 and schedule 2(1)(e), The Unfair Contracts Terms Act 1977 section 4 and the common law.

5. Accordingly the Claimants claim:

a) the return of the amounts debited in respect of charges on ACCOUNT CODE xxxxxxxx in the sum of £585.00 and charges on ACCOUNT CODE xxxxxxxxx in the sum of £582.50.

b) Court costs;

c) the Claimants claim contractual interest at a rate of 29.80% per annum, from the date of each transaction to 9th February 2007, which for ACCOUNT CODE xxxxxxxxx is £626.95, as set out in the attached list of charges. The Claimants further claim interest, on the resulting total of £1211.95, at the same rate up to the date of judgement or earlier payment, at a daily rate of £0.99 per day.

The account’s Terms and Conditions specify the interest payable on unauthorised drawings from the account. The Claimants hold that this applies to unauthorised drawings by the Defendant as well as to unauthorised drawings by the Claimants. Should the court deem this incorrect, the Claimants claim the rate to be justified under the principle of mutuality and reciprocity, and is based on the Defendant’s unauthorised overdraft interest rate that would be applied under the terms of the above mentioned account.

Should the court find that this interest rate is not applicable, then in the alternative the Claimants claim contractual interest at a rate of 18.2%, from the date of each transaction to 9th February 2007, which is £310.34, as set out in the attached list of charges. The Claimants further claims interest, on the resulting total of £895.34, at the same rate up to the date of judgement or earlier payment, at a daily rate of £0.45 per day.

The account’s Terms and Conditions specify the interest payable on authorised drawings from the account. The Claimants hold that this applies to authorised drawings by the Defendant as well as to authorised drawings by the Claimants. Should the court deem this incorrect, the Claimants claim the rate to be justified under the principle of mutuality and reciprocity, and is based on the Defendant’s authorised overdraft interest rate that would be applied under the terms of the above mentioned account.

Should the court find that this interest rate is not applicable, then in the alternative the Claimants claim interest under Section 69 of the County Court Act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum from the date of each transaction to 9th February 2007, which is £115.32 and continuing until payment or the date of judgement at a daily rate of £0.13.

d) the Claimants claim contractual interest at a rate of 29.80% per annum, from the date of each transaction to 9th February 2007, which for ACCOUNT CODE xxxxxxxxx is £1516.64, as set out in the attached list of charges. The Claimants further claim interest, on the resulting total of £2099.14, at the same rate up to the date of judgement or earlier payment, at a daily rate of £1.71 per day.

The account’s Terms and Conditions specify the interest payable on unauthorised drawings from the account. The Claimants hold that this applies to unauthorised drawings by the Defendant as well as to unauthorised drawings by the Claimants. Should the court deem this incorrect, the Claimants claim the rate to be justified under the principle of mutuality and reciprocity, and is based on the Defendant’s unauthorised overdraft interest rate that would be applied under the terms of the above mentioned account.

Should the court find that this interest rate is not applicable, then in the alternative the Claimants claim contractual interest at a rate of 18.2%, from the date of each transaction to 9th February 2007, which is £672.08, as set out in the attached list of charges. The Claimants further claims interest, on the resulting total of £1254.58, at the same rate up to the date of judgement or earlier payment, at a daily rate of £0.63 per day.

The account’s Terms and Conditions specify the interest payable on authorised drawings from the account. The Claimants hold that this applies to authorised drawings by the Defendant as well as to authorised drawings by the Claimants. Should the court deem this incorrect, the Claimants claim the rate to be justified under the principle of mutuality and reciprocity, and is based on the Defendant’s authorised overdraft interest rate that would be applied under the terms of the above mentioned account.

Should the court find that this interest rate is not applicable, then in the alternative the Claimants claim interest under Section 69 of the County Court Act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum from the date of each transaction to 9th February 2007, which is £228.48 and continuing until payment or the date of judgement at a daily rate of £0.13.

We believe that the contents of these particulars of claim are true.

~S~

Griffin

23/02/07 LBA sent.

Griffin, sorry not to respond sooner!

I have read through your particulars of claim, and you must have filled out the paper work by hand, because you have entered a lot more info than me (mine was via moneyclaim online and you are limited to lines of text and text characters)! Although from what I have read the content is definitely similar

I know that it has been a couple of days

Cheers Reduk054.

Yes you're quite correct, this is a paper based excersise for me, I will not be making a claim on line.

Have to take a break from the process for a short while - lack of funds to file claim :( . Also, before proceeding I want to see if LLoydsTSB have deposited anything in my accounts (have not had a reply to the LBA sent by special delivery) but, time and temporary lack of access to internt banking stops me from checking. Hope to get back on track at the end of next week - pay day:D

~S~

Griffin

23/02/07 LBA sent.

Hi Griffin, yes certainly worthwhile checking your accounts - just in case! Lloyds were starting to part-refund £750 of people's claims over the past few months.

It is hard isnt it having to pay the court fees as well, at least you know that you will get it all back - eventually!

Keep going, nearly there!:)

• 2 weeks later...

No response to my LBA and no monies dropped in my accounts. So, I've done the deed and filed at my local County Court. Issued the claim on 22/03/07. The court sent it to the defendant by first class post on 26/03/07 and it will be deemed to be served on 28/03/07. The defendant has until 11/04/07 to reply.

~S~

Griffin

23/02/07 LBA sent.

23/02/07 LBA sent.

Hi Again, things seem to be ticking along for you Griffin!

Good time line! I think that they will reply but probably not until the 10th April 07! Just so you think that they will default and then at the last minute reply.....

Under a fortnight though!

Tick tock..

Keep posting!

Red

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it seems that things are going according to plan; when I got home yesterday, there was aletter form the county court wating for me. It appears that Lloyds or, SCM on their behalf, filed an acknowledgement of my claim on 12th april (one day late) and intend to defend the whole of the claim. So, they have 28 days from the date of service to file their defence (won't be supridsed if they get away with 29), which means thier defense must be in by 25th April. And, if my county court sticks to form, on passing things forward, I might have a copy by 30th April.

Ah well. One step closer.

~S~

Griffin

23/02/07 LBA sent.

23/02/07 LBA sent.

my that was a quick response ;)

~S~

Griffin

23/02/07 LBA sent.

Red,

I think its time I had an avtar :D . If we're to carry on corresponding , its only fair that you know what I look like :cool:

~S~

Griffin

23/02/07 LBA sent.

LLoyds defence due to be submitted by the end of tomorow :cool: can't wait to see what they have to say. wonder if they will have noticed my claim is for contractual interest :grin:

~S~

Griffin

23/02/07 LBA sent.