• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Boris Johnson, former Prime Minister

Starmer apologised for failings within the CPS, but the CPS is a large organisation spread around the UK.

Very different situation to Boris Johnson who lived and worked in the place, where there was regular law breaking taking place, if all of what has been reported is true/accurate.

And remember that Jimmy Saville was pretty close to the Tory party for a long period

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Civil servants redact secret Downing Street file following sexual-assault revelations, reports Cahal Milmo

• I agree 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The officials at the ports may still continue to make checks, as they have to comply with the law.

Poots can make an announcement,  but cannot change law.

• I agree 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I see the leader of the DUP is calling the Tory party English Nationalists, more interested in red wall seats in England than anywhere else in the UK.

Surprised it took this long for the DUP to realise the reasons why many Tories supported Brexit, as one of the only ways to win a majority in Westminster.  Brexit was always more about creating an issue, which voters from left and right could support, as it suggested that UK Government without interference of the EU could deliver a better quality of life. Which is why many outside of London and South East England voted Tory for the first time in 2019.

Now the realities of Brexit are starting to be revealed and the Tories have a massive task in improving quality of life issues before the next General Election.

• I agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

£95 billion is actually not very much money to unlock.

The risk is not worth taking, as Government will end up underwriting the failed companies, if there is some major event they don't have the finances to deal with.

There was an interesting discussion on the radio recently, where a property investment expert, was saying that investment companies were buying large numbers of new and existing houses. And this was one of the reasons for the lack of supply and quick sales.  They then let the houses out, causing rents to increase as large property owners take control of the rental market.

• I agree 1

Kier Starmer should ask Boris how many tennis games he has played against Russians. And did the Tory party receive any donations following these games ?

• 2 weeks later...

Think of how much of Russian wealth has been invested in UK over the last 20 years or so.

If UK agencies have been turning a blind eye to this and encouraging investment without really checking how the wealth has been generated, then they might not be keen to act too quickly now.

Perhaps UK Government should honestly admit that they will accept few refugees, because UK has not invested enough in public services, housing and other essential services, to be able to cope with many additional people.

NHS including GP Practices are really struggling at the moment. There is a lack of available decent quality Housing. Local Authorities may not have the resources to help settle refugees.

The Visa issue is  probably not the main factor and Government cannot admit that UK essential services are in a poor condition. English  Local Authorities will have told the Government what capacity they have to help refugees and the number will be quite small.  It is possible Welsh and Scottish Governments have offered to take refugees,  but this would place UK Government  in a difficult position, if Wales and Scotland are seen to be in a better position to accept refugees.

Yes capacity issues would be too embarrassing.

But there are complex issues which affect much of the capacity issues and massive under investment over a long period is a main factor.

• 2 weeks later...

Appears very few Brexit dividends will be tangible at the next election, which is speculated to be held May or June 2023.

Yesterday had my Council Tax bill in the post and it has gone up again by about 3% and that includes £150 discount the Government have applied.

The budget did not land very well outside of Parliament. Media was mostly critical and most people contributing to debates had negative views. 

Once any party has been in Government for more than 10 years it becomes more difficult to stay in power. 

I am hoping Labour and Lib Dems form a full election pact, where they help each other around the  UK to win seats where one of them has a chance of winning. So they need to agree a set of common policy principles.

I am more concerned about the misleading of parliament that has occurred and is likely to continue while we have a Government led by someone who sees telling untruths as a political tactic.

Time for members of Conservative constituency associations to ensure their MP's are aware of their feelings on the current state of affairs.

• I agree 1

Do you think the various teams in Government are briefing against each other ? Team Big Dog, Team Sunak and Team Truss.

Seems to me that since Boris faced being ousted and "save Big Dog" campaign was launched, that there has been a volume of negative media stories about those who might have taken part in a leadership contest.

• I agree 1

Quite interesting that questions are now being raised "what was the point in Brexit ?" .  Even right wing journalists like Nick Ferrari are asking questions about Brexit and the damage it is doing to the UK economy.

Boris might think getting Brexit done is a positive for him, but actually if Brexit starts to look like a disaster, people will be blaming him for having sold them a dud !

Whole new economic strategy required for UK.  Too much of the money invested in UK comes from foreign companies, who ensure that they pay as little tax in the UK as possible. 

When you look at say Guernsey or Jersey, you will see large numbers of brass plates outside of offices, with names of companies that are apparently based from there.  While the rules may require at least one member of staff from the company to work from the office, I suspect that nobody checks that this is the case.  There may be people who work for the company that services the offices, who will forward on any post that is received, but not much more than that.

If Boris wanted to raise more money to pay for the NHS and other essential services,  then I think he needs to ask Chancelllor Sunak to look at money in/out of places like Guernsey and Jersey. 

I have read about a number of residential and commercial developments in the South West of England, where the developer is from outside of Europe but they have an office in Guernsey.  This is so they can increase their profits as a result of hardly paying any taxes.  

• I agree 1

Yes Tories know all about Tax Havene, but Labour under Blair and Brown did not do anything about this issue or any action was so minor I cannot remember.

Unless UK and other Governments stop the abuse of companies and the wealthy hiding their investments in tax havens, then we will continue to have problems that face the majority of people.  If people on modest incomes are paying a higher percentage of taxes and face increasing costs of living, then we could see a consumer financial crash.  People will have to cut back on their spending and the wealthy will eventualy see their investments fall in value. 

I visited Bath recently and I noticed a large number of shops were closed. Much of this is due to Covid and the lack of tourists. But some of this is due to a change in consumer behaviours, as with less money to spend and not wanting to incur petrol/parking costs, they now order the goods they require online.  For this reason, I doubt the large retail space vacated by Debenhams will ever be filled by any similar retail business.  And the same story will be true of most high streets around the UK.

I still think that the best way to solve an energy crisis, is to reduce the level of demand.   And to have smaller scale generation of power, converting waste into energy.   I am surprised that there is not a way for plastic waste to be turned into enegy at a cost that makes it worthwhile. 

WWW.SANDIEGO.EDU

By Anh Phan | Independent | October 2, 2018 | In the adventure classic Back to the Future, Emmett “Doc” Brown uses energy generated from rubbish to...

a

Well people I speak to have already started to take steps to reduce usage. E.g. they will only switch on heating for shorter set periods and only for longer if the weather is very cold. People are buying extra jumpers and thermal clothing.  And turn off all appliances that can be switched off overnight. So don't leave TV set top box and WiFi router switched on.  

When buying food, people are going for the non cooking items or shorter cooking options. So not buying large chunks of meat for slow cooking etc.

Don't use cars for journeys that can be made by walking. More people are leaving cars at home and walking the 20 minutes to local shops.

People are definitely trying to use less energy, but I think it should go much further. Retailers should be encouraging less packaging and selling more loose product.  All of the packaging has cost a fortune in energy to produce and then we have the waste to deal with. So business has a big part to play in helping consumers reduce energy usage.

Not only "they don't get it",  they don't care !

Arrogance of power, thinking they are the natural party of Government.

Opposition parties need to work harder to win over voters around the UK that they have the ideas to help improve quality of life for the majority.

• I agree 1

Very powerful update from Led by Donkeys.

• Like 1

Speculation is that Boris could have been investigated about 6 parties he allegedly attended.

And if Boris is subject to several more fines, surely Tory MP's will decide that he has to be replaced ?

• 5 weeks later...

Boris needs to check on how many additional Civil Servants were required due to Brexit. There were adverts for thousands of Brexit related roles across the UK. More than for Covid related work.

NEWS.SKY.COM

Mr Johnson has told cabinet ministers to come up with a plan to slash departmental workforces to 2016 levels, implying a reduction of...

Politics is the problem in N.Ireland and not the protocol.  Any issues with customs border checks can be resolved with EU. There is an agricultural agreement on standards that could be signed up to that would avoid 80% of the custom document/delay issues.

UK farmers want to maintain agricultural standards and avoid cheap food products being imported. UK Government appear to be wanting deals with US and other countries with different standards to EU, so they are reluctant to agree to EU standards agreement

Would UK Government really risk trade war with EU and peace/stability in N.Ireland, just so they are free to sign up to agricultural and other goods standards which are different to those required by EU?

Answering my own question, yes I think Boris would take the risk, because he appears fixated on free trade and few rules, so the UK can import food and other goods from around the world which could be of poor quality or come with health warnings.

Boris might be in contact with this chap to discuss 'Galactic Trade Minister' role, just to add to the fantasy of Brexit trade deals.

WWW.DAILYSTAR.CO.UK

Russ Kellett from Filey, North Yorks says for the past 30 years he's part of their army fighting the ‘Dragos’ which are tall and scaley with...

• Haha 1

Could Tories be thinking that after next election, they might need to have DUP MP's to keep them in Government ?

Current polling suggests a hung Parliament.