• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Boris Johnson, former Prime Minister

I would rather they spent money on investing in new UK technology start up companies to replace the ones that have been bought by Chinese, US investors etc.

The recent problem with UK trade relationships, is that while the UK wants a free trade relationship with other countries, other countries don't appear to want to reciprocate in a fair way.  I see today in the news that Boris apparently wants Canada to allow UK producers to export more Cheese to them.  And Canada is not really interested in having more Cheese, as their own producers want to see less Cheese imports from Europe.

UK companies already export around the world.  I am not convinced that having a Royal Yacht to hold events in foreign ports is going to make much difference.  

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

UK trade details document.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/964119/210225_Pocketbook_UK_Trade_in_Numbers_2021_Web_Accessible.pdf

UK does export quite a lot, both goods and services.   Over 200,000 UK businesses in 2018 were involved with exports.

One of the reasons for the new Royal Yacht, was that it could be used as a floating venue for UK trade missions.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Solid state batteries may be available in the next few years.  UK has always been brilliant at inventing, but not so good at maximising the revenues for the UK's benefit. 

I still think the UK has a massive problem with financial services regulation and the risks being taken, which would be very difficult for the UK Government to deal with, if there was another financial crash similar to 2008.  UK has lost some of the financial services business to EU countries, but I would think this is not the high risk business. 

• 1 month later...

Or beliveable that Government will be making loads of mistakes, due to the size of the task involved.

These trade documents run into thousands of pages and given the timescales Government have tried to work to, they will have copied/pasted large sections across  to any new trade deal document.

I can see large numbers of Civil Servants spending hours searching through every document to check the context of EU or European Union appearing in any text. 

And Government won't always be able to remove the EU from being involved, due to other non-EU countries requiring the UK to comply with EU rules/standards, as part of the trade deal. 

Brexiteers will end up with Brexitears. 

• 2 weeks later...

Very smelly !  i am surprised that the Police have not been called in to investigate some of the allegatiions that have been made over recent months. 

The amount involved for the polling appears to be £580 k and not £580 m

Expect the £579 million difference has gone to other friends, family and donors of the Conservative party or those who backed the leave campaign. 

Or may be not and all rules were followed to the letter of the law.  Nothing to see here, please move on. 

In normal times, these allegations would be on front pages of all newspapers, addressing the sleaze scandal in Government.

But there has been very little coverage due to Covid and Brexit related issues.

I find this all very concerning that contracts have been agreed without going through a process that ensures integrity is maintained. 

• 2 weeks later...

Why would Ireland based traders transport out of the EU market  to UK and then through a UK port to EU ?

Bit obvious to anyone that Ireland would have goods cargo going straight to EU mainland.

Too many would not allow any outside help in organising government and security forces.

There was supposed to be about 75000 Taleban, but if 75000 were killed, there would be at least 75000 replacements.

Jack Straw was interviewed on a breakfast news programme and he pointed the finger at Pakistan.  Saying there was a road between Pakistan and Afganistan,  with support being provided to the Taleban.

Are we seeing the early signs of a Government losing popularity ?

The Conservatives had a 20% lead in polls awhile ago, as people who voted Brexit stuck with them.

Now we are seeing many issues that the Government are struggling with,  they are coming under attack, even from Conservative backbench MP's.  Not sure Theresa May will receive a Christmas card from Boris this year. 

Afghanistan will now be a total nightmare for years.  The Teleban are not one United group, but are made up from different factions. And then you have ISIS plus other groups.

US, UK and others must know that a war between all of these different terrorist groups is going to start within the next few months. And they have all of the military equipment that was donated by US to the Afghan army to use when they start fighting each other.

You can understand why there are large numbers of people heading for the borders to leave the country.

Imagine Tim Martin and Boris down the local Wetherspoons looking to sink a few pints to celebrate Brexit.  Only problem is that partly due to Brexit,  they are running out of beer !   Is the Brexit dividend, the heatlh benefit from people drinking less alcohol ? 

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Carling and Coors off the menu as lorry driver crisis continues

• Haha 1
  • I agree 1

Boris does not look very well.

I thought recently he might have to stand down soon and be replaced.

• Like 1

Who would the Tory party accept as leader  ?

I think it would be a run off between Gove and Rishi Sunak.

• I agree 1

Income tax increase to pay towards care costs is fairer, provided some of this money is reserved, so it can used later on. 

Government should look at how to provide lower cost care. When a care home room costs £40000 per year average and staff are on minimum wage, there is someone making money from this. Should never let investment companies buy care home chains, as they are more interested in profit than care.

• I agree 1

Lord Frost is obviously talking nonsense.  EU does not need the UK, but the UK really needs the EU. 

As a small island that still relies on financial services too much, UK can't start picking fights.  UK has trade negotiations going on and trust is very important.

• I agree 1

Problem with labour shortages and training, is that central Government bark out orders from Westminster, as if they can solve long term issues simply by willing results to be achieved.

In regard to HGV driving courses, for unemployed or those on very low income, there have always been free or reduced rate courses available. But you need to have training capacity from many different providers in each area of the country. This takes time to arrange and requires a significant level of investment. 

So yes had Government injected billions in training schemes 5 years ago, we would not be having these issues. And also they should have looked to retain more foreign workers.

• I agree 1

Boris's Brexit going well ?

BBC News - UK on course to drop from Germany's top 10 trading partners https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58484454

UK now in a spiral of tax increases to cover increased costs.

The mixture or Brexit and Covid is deadly.

UK after Brexit  wanted to set up as the worlds biggest financial centre with light touch regulation. This won't happen, as the trade deals with US and other countries will not enable this.   The EU Brexit deal did not include financial services from what I remember.

Where next for the UK economy ?

Don't know what the stock levels of shops in France is like, but I have family in Spain, who say that there are no empty shelves there.

Yes covid has probably hit production, but the UK appears to be suffering more because of the shortgage of labour due to Brexit.

Perhaps Boris and Pritti are fans of the way China controls public order.

Boris's Business Brexit dividend is an increase in costs.

WWW.CITYAM.COM

UK businesses and consumers have paid 42 per cent more in customs duties on goods since Brexit came into force on 1 January of this year, according...

The follows on from the recent news that the additional adminstrative costs faced by businesses added up to over 6 billion

Cannot see there being a Brexit dividend within the next 5 years.

And rather than £350 miilion a week for the NHS, people are having to pay 1.25% additional National Insurance, plus see a larger increase in Council Tax.

Brexit going well Boris ?

I hope that I am wrong, but I have a feeling that we are going to face a winter of discontent. All of the serious problems facing many countries are going to reach a crisis point.

It will be worse for the UK because of Brexit, as the Government has so far been unwilling to create visa schemes for specific sectors, so foreign workers can fill gaps in the labour market.

The energy supply chain is incredible weak in many countries and if we have a very cold winter I can see many businesses being forced to close as the Government prioritises domestic heating supply.

How many energy companies are Government going to bail out ?  Only the biggest can survive the massive increase in wholesale prices.

NEWS.SKY.COM

Boris Johnson says issues facing energy companies and problems with supply chains are down to "the global economy coming back to...

I suspect that the US have told UK, that there will be no trade deal on the table for years and that the US wants to see the  UK fully implementing the Brexit agreement with the EU including the Northern Ireland protocol.

US has always strongly supported Ireland and they won't sign trade deals with UK, while the UK is acting in a way that looks like they cannot be trusted.

Get ready for a UK general election in 2022, as Boris may decide to take the risk to go early, rather than wait until 2023 or 2024, as by then the situation could be a lot worse. Could you imagine getting to 2024 with no trade deals that are in UK interests, no Brexit dividends and tax increases.

WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

Speaking ahead of his first White House summit today, Mr Johnson said a number of longstanding trade issues had been resolved, such...

Nothing missing and not being subtle.

Government appear to have briefed media that they will table legislation to hand back power to the PM to call General elections at a time of their choosing. This was reported by several TV channel political correspondents.

Boris likes to play politics as a game and he will see that as time moves on, he will become less and less popular, as will the Government. Recent polling is showing decline in approval ratings.

Hence why Summer 2022 may be seen as a good time to hold an election. Before the National Insurance and other tax increases start to hurt peoples standards of living. Leave holding an election until 2023 or 2024 is very risky as by then Government could be very unpopular. 

UK will need to at some point make a large number of work visas available to migrants, in particular to pick agricultural crops.  Farmers have lost a lot of money in 2021, as their crops have not been picked and supplied to shops.  lack of migrant labour to pick crops and lack of drivers to pick up/deliver to wholesalers/shops.  Government cannot allow a repeat in 2022, so will issue visas to migrant workers and this will be unpopular to some who voted Brexit.