What a mess - Naughty Natwest

mellymoo3
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6363 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I have a joint account with an ex flat mate with Natwest. Now when i say ex this is becuase we no longer live together therefore we applied when i moved out to take my name off the account. However Natwest sent a letter to the old address informing me I could not be removed as it had to be agreed with the lending department and my card/books etc had to be destroyed.

Becuase I no longer lived at the address i didn't recieve a letter saying I could not be removed. So I didn't realise this until i recieved several phone calls from Natwest then Wescot informing me of a £700 (or so) debt that i have to pay?!!!

I have spoken to Natwest and Wescot about this and they are both currently in dispute as to who 'Owns' the account and who has to give who authorisation for my name to be removed. I have spoken to my ex flatmate about all of this and like she said at the time of supposedly closing the account - she accepts all responisbility for the debt etc etc so it will get paid, i just dont want the debt in my name as it is not mine!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Moo

Well if you are jointly liable for the debt, then you will be liable for the debt irrospective any arrangement you have with you ex flatmate, until such time as the debt is settled.

However if you are accruing charges, then i would try and suggest a moratorium on charges and interest until the issue is resolved. Write to the bank (with a copy to Westy) informing they that you intend to recover charges, and once this issue has been resolved then you will be in a position to propose a plan to settle the debt. Obviously you will have to jointly do this, however your ex flatmate may do the right thing and just pay off the debt.

If that is the case, close that account and get out of that situation.

My advice has hardly any legal foundation whatsoever, however you never know it it might just work!

:cool:

NatWest Prelim 07.10.206

LBA 21.10.2006

MCOL 30.10.2006

Acknowledgment of Service 06.11.2006

Offer of approx 50% £2200.00 22.11.2006

Full settlement £4500 received 03.01.2007

Smile settled in full

Barclaycard settled in full

RBS Worldwide settled in full

Lloyds TSB settled in full £750.00

Lloyds TSB settled in Full £275.00 11.04.2007

Lloyds TSB business account £1376.00 AQ filed

Lloyds TSB Business account settled in full 21.05.07

I believe the expression they use for joint accounts is that you are "jointly and severally liable" for the conduct of the account so the debt is yours until it is repaid.

You don't say how the debt actually arose or what your flatmate did to get you both into debt but the only way I can see of having your name disassociated with it would be to pay it and then issue small claims court proceedings against your ex flatmate to get your money back.

Paul

Advice given is either my experience or my opinion and is given without liability. If in doubt, consult a qualified professional.

If you PM me for advice I will only reply in your own thread

Never under estimate your ability. I won over £17,000!

For the full story - look here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/NatWest-bank/17630-thecobbettslayer-NatWest.html

I agree. You are liable together, you cannot escape the debt, if your ex flatmate accepts total liability to you, it means nothing to Natwet. Get her to pay it off.

My advice has hardly any legal foundation whatsoever, however you never know it it might just work!

:cool:

NatWest Prelim 07.10.206

LBA 21.10.2006

MCOL 30.10.2006

Acknowledgment of Service 06.11.2006

Offer of approx 50% £2200.00 22.11.2006

Full settlement £4500 received 03.01.2007

Smile settled in full

Barclaycard settled in full

RBS Worldwide settled in full

Lloyds TSB settled in full £750.00

Lloyds TSB settled in Full £275.00 11.04.2007