• Tweets

• Well we can't predict what the judge will believe. PE will say that they responded in the deadline and you will say they don't. Nobody can tell what a random DJ will decide. However if you go for an OOC settlement you should still be able to get some money
    • What do you guys think the chances are for her?   She followed the law, they didnt, then they engage in deception, would the judge take kindly to being lied to by these clowns? If we have a case then we should proceed and not allow these blatant dishonest cheaters to succeed 
    • I have looked at the car park and it is quite clearly marked that it is  pay to park  and advising that there are cameras installed so kind of difficult to dispute that. On the other hand it doesn't appear to state at the entrance what the charge is for breaching their rules. However they do have a load of writing in the two notices under the entrance sign which it would help if you could photograph legible copies of them. Also legible photos of the signs inside the car park as well as legible photos of the payment signs. I say legible because the wording of their signs is very important as to whether they have formed a contract with motorists. For example the entrance sign itself doe not offer a contract because it states the T&Cs are inside the car park. But the the two signs below may change that situation which is why we would like to see them. I have looked at their Notice to Keeper which is pretty close to what it should say apart from one item. Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 Section 9 [2]a] the PCN should specify the period of parking. It doesn't. It does show the ANPR times but that includes driving from the entrance to the parking spot and then from the parking place to the exit. I know that this is a small car park but the Act is quite clear that the parking period must be specified. That failure means that the keeper is no longer responsible for the charge, only the driver is now liable to pay. Should this ever go to Court , Judges do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person so ECP will have their work cut out deciding who was driving. As long as they do not know, it will be difficult for them to win in Court which is one reason why we advise not to appeal since the appeal can lead to them finding out at times that the driver  and the keeper were the same person. You will get loads of threats from ECP and their sixth rate debt collectors and solicitors. They will also keep quoting ever higher amounts owed. Do not worry, the maximum. they can charge is the amount on the sign. Anything over that is unlawful. You can safely ignore the drivel from the Drips but come back to us should you receive a Letter of Claim. That will be the Snotty letter time.
    • please stop using @username - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread inc you gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Bev & Tony stuck big time!! ** WON **

fire fox
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6229 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Question???

The letter I am sending says " ....which together with the daily rate of 0.64 now totals £....?" My spreadsheet shows my total as at 30/11/06 which is when I sent it.

1 Do I add on interest from then to today?

2 How do I do that?

Thanks

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the spreadsheet should update daily so you just need to add on the legal costs.

IF MY COMMENTS HAVE HELPED PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Don't be like the banks - give a little back

:D NAT WEST - WON - £4282.36:D

I filed my my claim wrong on HMCSOL Just realized I am claiming more than I should cobbetts are defending my claim since 26th jan I have heard nothing from them yet what should I do wait for their reply or contact them will the latter predudice me Help Me

• Haha 1

Tony

I've pm'd Rhodes to start a new thread so we don't start putting irrelavant information in yours and I'll have a look at the problem for him/her.

Paul

Advice given is either my experience or my opinion and is given without liability. If in doubt, consult a qualified professional.

If you PM me for advice I will only reply in your own thread

Never under estimate your ability. I won over £17,000!

For the full story - look here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/NatWest-bank/17630-thecobbettslayer-NatWest.html

Click on the Natwest link at the top of the page and there will be a "new thread" button on the top left.

Give it a title and you're away

Advice given is either my experience or my opinion and is given without liability. If in doubt, consult a qualified professional.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/NatWest-bank/17630-thecobbettslayer-NatWest.html

Hi Paul

Thanks very much. I was unsure what to do. Hope Tuesday went ok for you. As you can see I have posted back my rejection letter so sit back and wait again now. Have you peogressed with yours?

Hi Tony

Thread hijack then - Tuesday was fine thanks. 7 hours of reading 4 months worth of emails.

I'm doing 2 shifts next week:eek: . Back in training just checking that my clinical skills haven't left me then they let me loose on patients (under supervision) in week 3. In week 4 I do a full 40 hours and then I'm on annual leave for 3 weeks and buggering off to Egypt.

Anyone want a job in the NHS?:-D

I intend to Tony but there's plenty of people on here who will help you out if you need it.

The great thing about this site is collective knowledge and you will soon find yourself with the boot on the other foot. Start reading through other threads and you might just find that you can give advice as well as you receive it. When I started, I knew nothing. 2 weeks ago I took on Natwests barrister in court and came out with a good result.

You are dead right. I read a lot of threads and quite often find myself knowing the answers to questions which is prety good. I will give it a go if I'm 100% sure. It may sound sad but I'm not sure what I will do when my claim is sorted as I find myself drawn to the site as it makes such interesting reading whenever I have a spare minute.

Thanks

You say what you know.

Don't be afraid of being corrected or contradicted as debate is a very important part of building knowledge. Don't be afraid to pitch in!

I have received a court date today - 16th April. Seems a long way off. The wording in it is exactly the same as ths Draft Order I sent with my AQ.

I guess this is good news!!.

However, I am slightly confused with the timescales. I have 14 days from 1st Feb to submit my evidence, then Cobbetts have 14 days from receiving my evidence to submit theirs. But at the end of the order it says all documents must be received 14 days before the hearing which would make it 2nd April ???

Feel elated but worried at the same time as I dont want to mess this up now. It also says "Upon appearing to the court that the Defence filed is not in accordance with CPR 16, both in failing in terms to address the matters raised in the POC and itself in its accompanying request for further and better particulars inappropriately requesting the claimant to plead matters of law not requiring to be pleaded in a statement of case, upon compliance by the claimant with the order the defence filed shall stand struck out, and the defendant shall thereupon within 28 days file a properly pleaded defence.

The attention of both parties is drawn to the provision of CPR 27.14.2 d

What does the above mean and what is CPR 27.4.2 d??

Tony

It's complicated but it's good news for you

What it is saying is that if you comply with the terms of the order and make whatever submissions it requires of you (the claimant) then the court will throw out their defence.

The allocating judge has basically decided that the defence they have filed is a load of old tosh and is instructing them to file a correct and lawful defence. The basis of this is that their standard defence isn't a defence, it is a request for you to quote the sections of law on which you will rely in substantiating your claim. Under Part 16, a defence must offer an alternative version of events. "We didn't do it you honour" simply isn't good enough.

Clicky here for the CPR homepage and you can have a look at them yourself. Parts 16 & 27 are most relevant.

Civil Procedure Rules Homepage

Right... I had a look and think that CPR 27 relates to costs if you appeal aginst the track. Right?

Couldnt find anything re Part 16 though. What am I doing wrong?

Questions now

Do I send my original statements or do I photocopy them all?

Somewhere on here I saw a thread that listed other decided cases and covered every point the judge is asking of me, but where? Is there a search facility ? In fact I'm a bit unsure about what I am providing to them. Panic, pannic, panic. I'm sure its just nerves and when I've slept on it I will be calmer.

Help needed please

I have until a week today to provide the following to Cobbetts and the Court

1.A statement of evidence of all matters relied upon as tending to show that the charges are irrecoverable as penalties or otherwise.

2.Copies of decided cases and other legal materials to be relied upon.

There were 2 other points but I have sorted them. I think point 2 is the printing of the court bundle from the library but would like it confirmed please

Thanks

Hi Tony

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I'm a little unsure as to what the court are asking for with regard to "copies of decided cases". I would assume that these are the case law included in the basic court bundle

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/33060-basic-court-bundle.html

and the statement of evidence will be the relevant parts of the statutes quoted in the POC, so that's the UTCC, SOGA and you can also include the statement from the OFT.

Like I say, I'm not entirely sure about this. I've pm'd a couple of others who may have more experience as I have never seen an order like this one before so this is just my interpretation. Hopefully we'll clear it up in the next day or so.

It would help a lot if you can post the exact content of the order so others can read it.

Paul

Thank you so much Paul. The order from the Judge is exactly the same as the Draft Order for Directions I attached to my AQ, being the New Strategy suggested here instead of just asking for Standard Disclosure.

I am buried under piles of photocopying I did in work today (statements etc) and keeping track of three sets of everything is a nightmare.

I hope you made progress with yours, it all sounded a bit hairy on Saturday!!

Tony

As well as above also see here:

Court Bundle - Examples of Witness Statement, Document list etc

Examples of Witness Statements / Disclosure by List / Draft Directions / Case Summary

And 2 different Statement Of Evidence's for © of the Drirection:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/53570-new-strategy-allocation-questionaires-3.html#post482194

Claim number XXXXXX

Between

XXXXXXXX - Claimant

and

XXXXX - Defendant

Draft Order for Directions

The Claimant shall within 14 days of service of this order send to the Defendant and to the Court:

• a) A schedule setting out each charge repayment of which is sought, showing the date, amount, and reason given (if any) for that charge being made;

• b) Copies of any statement or other document relied upon as showing that each and every charge has been made;

• c) A statement of evidence of all matters relied upon as tending to show that the charges are irrecoverable as penalties or otherwise;

• d) Copies of decided cases and other legal materials to be relied upon.

If the Claimant fails to comply with this order, the claim will be struck out without further order.

2. The Defendant shall within 14 days thereafter file and serve a response to the Claimant's schedule, stating in respect of each item claimed;

• a) Pursuant to what contractual provision such charge was made, producing a copy of the contractual document relied upon;

• b) Whether such charge is accepted to be a penalty, and if not why not;

• c) If such charge is alleged to be a pre-estimate of the Defendant's loss incurred by the Claimant's actions (whether or not such action is treated as a breach of contract between the parties), all facts and matters intended to be relied upon as showing that such was a proper estimate of such loss, and all evidence to be adduced at trial as to what the true cost of dealing with the matter was;

• d) If such charge is not alleged to be a pre-estimate of the Defendant's loss incurred by the Claimant's actions then facts and matters intended to be relied upon showing the basis upon which the charge was calculated and all evidence to be adduced at trial as to show that the charge was fair and reasonable.

• e) Any witness statements.

• f) Copies of decided cases and other legal materials to be relied upon.

If the Defendant fails to comply with this order, the Defence will be struck out without further order.

This is what I sent with my AQ and it is exactly what the Judge has sent back to me and Cobbetts.