Tax credit Overpayment .. PLS Advise - ** RESOLVED **

rita777
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2278 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Right,

Quick question. Are you still receiving Tax Credits?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Ok, I think you need to call them and ask them why. I suspect they are repaying what you owe them by taking from your current entitlement, hence the reduction. This is always their preferred option for them to reclaim overpayments. It's only when you are no longer entitled to Tax Credits when you get the scary demand to repay coming through the letterbox.

Give them a call, let me know if this is the case. Then it all comes down to whether you are ok financially with this reduction? I would say you have pretty good grounds for an appeal if you are not.. due to your son's illness at the time. There is an established procedure for making an appeal..

Also I only know about the Tax credit side of things because I have fought and won my overpayment appeal. I think you need to put pride on the back burner and see what other benefits you are entitled to ! Remember you have paid taxes all your life for times like this .. so don't feel bad.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Give them a call tomorrow, find out what is going on with your current payment first of all. As I said I think they are clawing back the money already by reducing your payments. Let me know what they say

If this is the case it will continue indefinitely until the backlog is paid off.

Alternatively,, it's likely you could get the full payment re instated due to your circumstances. Don't waste any time, look into the DLA, and any other benefits that may apply to you. What matters is feeding your family and paying the heating bill. Not what someone might think of you.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The CAB's advice is terrible. The Tax Credit's own COP26 Code of practice is on the internet for all to see. For your own reference here is the extract from the COP 26 most relevant to you. I would say your circumstances fit this exactly for a cancellation. I have also included the link for you, page 15. and yes, you should offer to send them a note from a GP /consultant . For good measure do what another poster did, look up your local MP's surgery, make an appointment and explain everything.

If you need to discuss financial hardship with us, phone us to

explain this.

When you phone we may ask you about any family circumstances

that may lead to extra living costs. For example, if you’re looking

after someone who is chronically ill or disabled. In some exceptional

circumstances, we may cancel an overpayment altogether

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/tax-credits-what-happens-if-youve-been-paid-too-much-cop26

Here is the link to COP 26 for your own reference

Nope,

The DCA is powerless , ignore any communication from them. Only deal with Tax Credits directly. Please , please do not start paying anyone, the DCA is a non threat!

Please , Please make an appointment with your MP, they all have weekly surgeries, and in your situation will be of great help.

There is another Tax credit thread, a month or so back where the MP stopped all action!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...

A pleasure to help. I had a £12,000 'overpayment' hanging over my head :( it was terrible.

I wrote to my local MP about this issue, about how it's understandable they need to recoup money but the way that they go about it is wrong and heavy handed. I also suggested that they start off with information about who can appeal with a copy of COP26 rather than scare the hell out of some vulnerable people with a scary massive demand. She was excellent and wrote to Philip Hammond's office and I received a reply from the top guy at HMRC, saying how great they were already and nothing needed to change. So don't hold your breath lol.

I do think you really need to play it safe with any future awards. We are no longer entitled to Tax Credits but if we were I think I would be on the phone to them monthly to inform them even if nothing had changed, and also sending in writing so there was a paper trail.

• Haha 1